Tillsonburg

What is Tillsonburg known for?


national basketball

Basketball Association NBA 's Toronto Raptors. Triano gained recognition during his tenure as coach of the Canadian men's national team (Canada men's national basketball team). He is also a former national team player, who competed in two Olympics (Summer Olympics), starting in 1984 (1984 Summer Olympics). He was born in Tillsonburg, Ontario and raised in Niagara Falls (Niagara Falls, Ontario), Ontario. DATE OF BIRTH September 21, 1958 PLACE OF BIRTH

Mabee was born in Tillsonburg, Ontario. He began skating at age seven. DATE OF BIRTH August 26, 1985 PLACE OF BIRTH Tillsonburg, Ontario DATE OF DEATH birth_date birth_place Tillsonburg, Ontario, Canada debutyear '''Jay Triano ''' (born September 21, 1958) is a retired Canadian (Canada) professional basketball player and former head coach (coach (basketball)) of the National


school+special

Board (TVDSB) and the London District Catholic School Board (LDCSB). * Annandale School * Glendale High School * Maple Lane Public School * Monsignor J.H. O'Neill Catholic School * Rolph Street Public School * South Ridge Public School * St. Joseph's Catholic School Special service schools *'''Adult Basic Literacy Program''': A Multi-Service Centre program, located in The Livingston Centre, established: 1987. Literacy instruction is provided to any adults free of charge. Students


support amp

. This became operational during 2006. The home support programs of the '''Multi-Service Centre''' (personal support & homemaking, assisted living, meals on wheels, transportation, foot & hand care, Home at Last) are accredited by Accreditation Canada. Development The Town's Centennial Year (1972) saw the opening of the new $1,000,000 Community Recreation Complex by the Governor-General of Canada, as well as the opening of the Tillsonburg Museum in the old community centre


playing including

, handcrafts, a library, card playing including a bridge club and seasonal activities. *Hockey and ringette programs are offered at the Tillsonburg Community Centre Complex. *The Tillsonburg Thunder, Senior A hockey club, play at the Memorial Arena located at the Tillsonburg Community Centre Complex. *Tillsonburg was the Ontario Major Intermediate A (Major Intermediate A Hockey League) Hockey champion in the 1954-1955 season *The Tillsonburg Soccer Park is one of the best such facilities


personal support

. This became operational during 2006. The home support programs of the '''Multi-Service Centre''' (personal support & homemaking, assisted living, meals on wheels, transportation, foot & hand care, Home at Last) are accredited by Accreditation Canada. Development The Town's Centennial Year (1972) saw the opening of the new $1,000,000 Community Recreation Complex by the Governor-General of Canada, as well as the opening of the Tillsonburg Museum in the old community centre


largest industry

of Tillsonburg's largest industry) won the Canadian Championships in 1952 and represented Canada in the Olympics at Helsinki, Finland. CKOT (CKOT (AM)) Radio began broadcasting operations in 1955 and the Ontario Flue-Cured Tobacco Marketing Board opened its new auction exchange 3 years later. Government Tillsonburg is one of eight municipalities that make up the County of Oxford. The Mayor also represents the Town as a County Councillor. The County administers social programs, ambulance and paramedic services, planning, water and wastewater services, garbage and landfill operations and the County road system. Tillsonburg is governed by an elected Mayor, Deputy Mayor and five Councillors. Council meets on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month in the Council Chambers in the Corporate Municipal Office. They oversee staff and set policy for the various operations and services provided by the Town. The town also owns and operates: *Tillsonburg Municipal Airport (Tillsonburg Airport) *Lake Lisgar Water Park *Tillsonburg Public Library Healthcare thumb right Tillsonburg District Memorial Hospital (Image:Tillsonburg hospital.jpg) The town has one hospital accredited through the Ontario Ministry of Health. Tillsonburg and District Memorial Hospital is located in the downtown area on Rolph Street. The TDMH serves the town and region. A major fundraising campaign was undertaken to fund the equipment for a dialysis unit at Tillsonburg District Memorial Hospital. This became operational during 2006. The home support programs of the '''Multi-Service Centre''' (personal support & homemaking, assisted living, meals on wheels, transportation, foot & hand care, Home at Last) are accredited by Accreditation Canada. Development The Town's Centennial Year (1972) saw the opening of the new $1,000,000 Community Recreation Complex by the Governor-General of Canada, as well as the opening of the Tillsonburg Museum in the old community centre on the shores of Lake Lisgar. A new Wikipedia:Tillsonburg


service related

of Oxford, Elgin and Norfolk counties. The industrial base has become quite diverse during the decline of the once prominent tobacco industry. The area is home to several branch plants of major US-based automotive suppliers including Rieter Automotive, Guardian Industries, TRW (TRW Inc.) and Johnson Controls. There are many service-related industries including Verspeeten Transport, Marwood Metal Fabrication Ltd., Otter Valley Foods, E & E McLauglin Ltd., J E Bearing Ltd., Fleetwood Metal


current building

. *'''St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church''': 51 Venison St. W. Built in 1932. *'''St. Paul's United Church''': 34 Ridout St W. The congregation was establishe in 1867. The current building was erected in 1913. *'''Tillsonburg Bible Chapel''': 63 Queen St. Built in 1920. *'''Tillsonburg Christian Reformed Church''': 150 Concession St W. The congregation was established in 1977. *'''Tillsonburg Free Methodist Church''': 44 Tillson Ave. The congregation was established in 1883. Historical schools

*'''Rolph Street P.S.''': The first school was built in 1866 and the current building opened in 1912. *'''St. Mary's C.S.''': 131 Rolph St. Built in 1949. Historical architectural resources *'''Annandale House''': 30 Tillson Ave. Annandale National Historic Site is one of the finest examples of the Aesthetic Art Movement, a Victorian style which utilized colour, decorative detail, and nature. Constructed in the 1880s for E.D. Tilson, the first mayor of Tillsonburg, Annandale NHS provides the opportunity to tour a restored period mansion and changing local history exhibits. *'''Leachman Residence''': 94 Rolph St. This Italianate-style house, with its rounded windows and eyebrow surrounds was built in 1876. *'''Private Residence''': 41 King St. Like many other buildings in Tillsonburg, this house was constructed of locally formed white brick. Decorative gingerbread under the eaves matches the gingerbread trim on the corner oriel windows. *'''Private Residence''': 101 Rolph St. This two storey Gothic-style house was built in 1880. Bay window projections on the front and side of the house combine with the striking two storey porch to create an inviting exterior. Of note are the wooden shutters that are shaped to fit each curved window. *'''St. Paul's United Church Manse''': 38 Ridout St. W. This two and a half storey house was built in 1870 as the manse for the adjacent United Church. The front facade presents an interesting combination of features with its delicate gingerbread in the gable, small dentil trim under the eaves, and rough stone window surrounds. *'''Vivian House''': 300 Broadway St. From the slate roof to the decorative stained glass, stylish gingerbread and detail work under the eaves, trim on the two storey porch, and unique keyhole window on a side elevation, this house is a wonderful example of Victorian elegance. Plaques and monuments *'''Memorial Wall''': 170 Broadway St. Plaque located in the Town Centre Mall. It memorializes various citizens' achievements. *'''Tillsonburg Cenotaph''': 170 Broadway St. The Cenotaph is located in the Town Centre Mall. This memorial is dedicated to Tillsonburg men and women who served in World Wars I and II. *'''Rotary Clock Tower''': 41 Bridge St W. Located at the corner of Bridge St and Broadway St. The clock came from the old Post Office, and the bell from the old Town Hall. The Tower is surrounded by memorial paving stones, engraved with the names of various prominent members of the community, as well as those designated by donors. Cultural resources *'''Great Western Railway Station''': 41 Bridge St W. at corner of Bidwell St. The typical station roof lines of this building disclose its busy past. Note the spelling of Tilsonburg, with only one "l". The Baggage Room Gift Shop and Gallery, located in the former railway station, is operated by the Station Arts Centre. This train station was joined to the Lake Erie & Pacific Railway Station by adding the Changing Exhibit Gallery. Visitor Information site with brochures and maps for Ontario plus a computer kiosk was added in summer of 2013 for both tourist information and services for the Town of Tillsonburg. *'''Theatre Tillsonburg''': 14789 Potters Rd. Built in 1961. This is the former Hungarian Cultural Centre and was converted to a theatre in 1990. *'''Tillson Pea Mill''': 20 John Pound Rd. Originally an agricultural mill, this three storey structure underwent a major reconstruction and reopened as The Mill Tales Inn and restaurant. *'''Tillsonburg Lake Erie & Pacific Railway Station''': 41 Bridge St W. Originally located on King St, but moved to its present location on Bridge St. in 1992. A gallery was built to join the original train station with this one. The two stations illustrate two distinct styles of railway station architecture. The Station Arts Centre is located in this building. Also home of the Farmers Market open from spring to Thanksgiving. *'''Tillsonburg Public Library''': 2 Library Lane. The Tillsonburg Public Library at Broadway and Washington Grand, was built in 1974, replacing an old Carnegie building on the same site. The library joined the Oxford County library system on January 1, 2013 and the building has undergone a major renovation and re-opened on July 29, 2013. A mural of the former Carnegie Library is being painted inside the library by a local artist. Two more murals are planned of the former Town Hall and one picturing a tobacco farm. The front of the building includes a paved area, with a paving stone for each of the Citizens of the Year designated by the Tillsonburg Chamber of Commerce. The stones begin with Harry Ostander, 1978. Each year, another stone is added for the current Citizen of the Year. Library Lane is also a paved area, with some memorial stones added as requested by donors. A plaque commemorates the founding of Tillsonburg and its founder, George Tillson, 1782-1864. This community, known as the Dereham Forge, grew around the sawmill and foundry that Tillson established. Plaque- Tillsonburg Public Library, 1975, plaque inside the building lists the library board, contractors and architects. Natural areas and parks *'''Coronation Park''': Van St. 8 ha (20 acres) of parkland. *'''Lake Lisgar Water Park''': 45 Hardy Ave. Plaque - a plaque commemorating Barbara Ann Scott, Canadian gold medalist figure skater in 1950's. Plaque- In memory of Donald M. Gimbson, a prominent and community minded citizen who served as chairman of the parks and recreation commission and was instrumental in developing Tillsonburg's recreation facilities. *'''Memorial Park''': Ross T. Dixie Tribe Park. Plaque - The Dixie Tribe Memorial Park plaque was presented to the Town of Tillsonburg by H.M. Tribe Trumpour in memory of her son Dixie Tribe, 1941. *'''VanNorman Memorial Park''': A plaque to commemorate the VanNorman family, co-founders of the Town of Tillsonburg in the year 1825.Tillsonburg Tri-County Agricultural Society - a plaque for the Ontario Department of Agriculture presented this plaque in honour of J.M. Climie and in recognition of one hundred years of service by the Society on August 29, 1961. *'''Participate Park''': 41 Bridge St W. 10ha (25 acres) of parkland along Stoney Creek. *'''Tillsonburg Conservation Area''': Simcoe T 27 Hyman. Passive recreation. Part of the Long Point Region Conservation Authority. References Wikipedia:Tillsonburg


special service

Board (TVDSB) and the London District Catholic School Board (LDCSB). * Annandale School * Glendale High School * Maple Lane Public School * Monsignor J.H. O'Neill Catholic School * Rolph Street Public School * South Ridge Public School * St. Joseph's Catholic School Special service schools *'''Adult Basic Literacy Program''': A Multi-Service Centre program, located in The Livingston Centre, established: 1987. Literacy instruction is provided to any adults free of charge. Students


metal products

of Oxford, Elgin and Norfolk counties. The industrial base has become quite diverse during the decline of the once prominent tobacco industry. The area is home to several branch plants of major US-based automotive suppliers including Rieter Automotive, Guardian Industries, TRW (TRW Inc.) and Johnson Controls. There are many service-related industries including Verspeeten Transport, Marwood Metal Fabrication Ltd., Otter Valley Foods, E & E McLauglin Ltd., J E Bearing Ltd., Fleetwood Metal

Products, and MIL-SIM-FX International Inc. The town has a very active and developing downtown core area which includes the Tillsonburg Town Centre mall, built in 1980 and the recently opened big box stores including Canadian Tire, Shopper's Drug Mart and Staples-Business Depot. Newly expanded The Source store and Mark's Work Wearhouse are located in the Tillsonburg Town Centre Mall. All of the major Canadian chartered banks have branches in the town and there is also

Tillsonburg

name Tillsonburg official_name Town of Tillsonburg nickname motto A Place to Build Your Future settlement_type Town (List of towns in Ontario) (lower-tier (List of municipalities in Ontario#Lower-tier municipalities)) image_skyline Tillsonburgskyline.jpg imagesize image_caption image_flag image_seal pushpin_map Canada Ontario pushpin_mapsize 200 pushpin_label_position top coordinates_display inline,title coordinates_region CA-ON subdivision_type Country subdivision_name Canada subdivision_type1 Province (Provinces and territories of Canada) subdivision_name1 Ontario subdivision_type2 County subdivision_name2 Oxford (Oxford County, Ontario) leader_title Governing Body leader_title1 Town Mayor leader_title2 Deputy Mayor leader_title3 Councillors leader_name Tillsonburg Town Council leader_name1 Stephen Molnar leader_name2 Dave Beres leader_name3 title List of councillors frame_style border:none; padding: 0; title_style list_style text-align:left;display:none; 1 Maxwell Adam 2 Chris Rosehart 3 Brian Stephenson 4 Penny Esseltine 5 Jim Hayes established_title Settled established_title2 Incorporated established_date 1825 (as village) established_date2 1872 (as town) area_magnitude area_footnotes area_total_km2 area_land_km2 22.34 area_water_km2 area_water_percent population_as_of 2011 population_footnotes 2011 Census Profile population_note population_total 15301 population_density_km2 685.1 population_blank1_title Demonym population_blank1 Tillsonburger timezone EST (North American Eastern Time Zone) utc_offset -5 timezone_DST EDT (Eastern Daylight Time) utc_offset_DST -4 postal_code_type Postal code postal_code N4G area_code 519 and 226 (Area codes 519 and 226) latd 42 latm 52 lats 00 latNS N longd 80 longm 44 longs 00 longEW W elevation_m 270 website www.tillsonburg.ca footnotes

'''Tillsonburg''' is a town in Oxford County (Oxford County, Ontario), Ontario, Canada with a population of 15,301 located about 50 kilometres southeast of London (London, Ontario), on Highway 3 (Ontario Highway 3) at the junction of Highway 19 (Ontario Highway 19) the closest route to Highway 401 (Ontario Highway 401) at Ingersoll, Ontario.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017