Telšiai

What is Telšiai known for?


book+scientific

museum palace was built in 1938. Currently, Museum ''Alka'' is famous in Samogitia for its accumulation of over 62 thousand showpieces, 70 thousand pieces of estate archives, a 12 thousand book scientific library, and 15 thousand film negatives. Telšių apskrities turizmo informacijos centras – Muziejai – Muziejai. Telsiaitic.lt. The museum has a large historical exposition of Samogitia as well as a large collection of paintings of famous Lithuanian and foreign artists. telsiaitic.lt. telsiaitic.lt. In the southern part of the city close to the Lake Mastis there is a city park with the Open-Air Museum of Rural Life of Samogitia. It was opened in 1983 and has an exposition of typical homesteads of 19th century Samogitia. Currently there are 16 authentic buildings. The museum exhibition is arranged in homestead sections: a rich farmer’s grange; a barn; a poor farmer’s grange, and a simple peasant’s grange. Museum visitors can also get acquainted with a windmill, smithy, threshing barn and associated equipment. Drama Theater and Culture Centre The Drama Theater of Žemaitė, named after famous Lithuanian author Žemaitė, is one of the oldest theaters in Lithuania. The origins of the theater in Telšiai starts in the beginning of 20th century when student of arts and medicine Vaseris came back to Telšiai from Kiev and presented two performances in the empty barracks of the town. samogitia.mch.mii.lt. The Theater is a member of the International Amateur Theatre Association . Nowadays it has two troupes of actors: adult actors (director K. Brazauskas) and youth ''Savi'' actors (director L. Pocevičienė). http: telsiuteatras.lt istorija The head of the theater is Artūras Butkus. Telšiai also has a Culture centre. It was established in 1946. Current building of the centre was built in 1974. Since 2007 the building is under reconstruction. Currently it has 13 art collectives. telsiukultura.lt. Media in Telšiai The main newspaper in the city and the region of Telšiai is ''Kalvotoji Žemaitija'' (''Hilly Samogitia''), which was established on 19 April 1941. It is published three times a week and is available online. Hostingas už 1 Lt! – Puslapiai.lt. Kalzem.visiems.lt. The second largest newspaper of Telšiai is ''Telšių žinios'' (''The News of Telšiai'') established on 1 October 1999. It is published twice a week and is also available online. Kontaktai. Tzinios.lt. The main online portal for the city is ''www.telsiai.info'', which is part of the group of portals ''miestunaujienos.info''. Library The main library is the Telšiai Karolina Praniauskaitė Regional Public Library, located in the city centre. It was established in 1922. In 1967 it was named as the best district library in Lithuania. In 1997, the library was named after Karolina Praniauskaitė, the first poetess of Samogitia. Istorija – Telšių rajono savivaldybės Karolinos Praniauskaitės viešoji biblioteka. Kpbiblioteka.lt (21 May 2012). Tourism right thumb Samogitia tourism information center in Telšiai (File:Samogitia tourism information center.jpg) The old town of the city of Telšiai is one of seven protected old towns in Lithuania. Additionally to the Samogitian museum ''Alka'' and Open-Air Museum of Rural Life of Samogitia mentioned above (#Culture), the main tourist attractions in Telšiai are A. Jonušo Samogitian-Japanese-Chinese Homestead-Museum, Telšiai Cathedral and Telšiai Bishop Vincentas Borisevičius Priest Seminary (on the top floor of the Priest Seminary it is possible to see a panorama of the city), Telšiai yeshiva (Telshe yeshiva), the Church of The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven, Telšiai (known as the "Little Church"), and the Orthodox Church of St. Nicolaus. A Tourist Information Center can be found in the centre of the town. telsiaitic.lt. telsiaitic.lt. Telšiai was announced as tourists destination by EDEN in 2013. http: ec.europa.eu enterprise sectors tourism eden destinations-2013 index_en.htm Geography Telšiai is located in the middle of the Samogitian Heights. The city was built on seven hills on the shores of Lake Mastis. The nearby Šatrija hill (227 m) is a nature preserve. Lithuanian Home Page. Neris.mii.lt. Government of Telšiai right thumb Landmark of Telšiai in Samogitian dialect (File:Telšiū žėnklos.jpg) According to the Law on the Territorial Administrative Units and Their Boundaries of the Republic of Lithuania, Telšiai is the centre of Telšiai County as well as the centre of Telšiai district municipality. Lietuvos Respublikos Seimas – Dokumento tekstas. . The city of Telšiai is also the centre of Telšiai town eldership (Elderships of Lithuania). It was established in 1997. Its area is WikiPedia:Telšiai


study

of a general population of 8000. Many were involved in trade which included produce, wood, and crafts. A major source of income was the famous Telšiai Yeshiva, (a school for Talmudic study, sometimes called a rabbinical college). It was the largest and most famous yeshiva in Lithuania between 1875 and 1941, establishing Telšiai as a center of Torah studies (the entire body of religious law and learning, including both sacred literature and oral tradition). There was also an Orthodox Jewish rabbinical

. The yeshiva was opened in the house of Yitzchak & Sarah Feigenbaum on 20 Cheshvan 5702 (1941). This yeshiva again became a well-respected center of Talmudic study, incorporating the distinct methods of the historic institution, and it is still going strong today. Centre of Roman Catholic Diocese A Roman Catholic Diocese of Telšiai was established in 1926 with its centre in Telšiai. Justinas Staugaitis, one of the twenty signatories

of Torah study. History The yeshiva was founded in 1875 in the town of Telšiai ("Telshe" in Russian (Russian language) or "Telz" in Yiddish (Yiddish language)) to provide for the religious educational needs of young Jewish men in Telshe and its surrounding towns. '''Eugenijus Gentvilas''' (born 14 March 1960 in Telšiai) is a Lithuanian politician, signatory of the Act of the Re-Establishment of the State of Lithuania and Member of the European


quot plays

has a football stadium with a capacity of about 3000. It has been under reconstruction since 2010 in order to meet international requirements. WikiPedia:Telšiai


444

24–25, 1941. Present day architectural monuments include Telšiai Cathedral. Telšiai has a rare, surviving wooden synagogue. * Get in Get around Telšiai is small enough to be covered by foot. See Image:BZN Telsiai church 2 front.jpg

long directions phone tollfree fax hours price content * *

this one. It is favored by locals. The water in Mastis lake (the one in the town) is not clean. Buy Eat * Drink Sleep *


scenic images

-Museum url email address Muziejaus st. 88 lat long directions phone +370 674 19308 tollfree fax hours price content A small private museum created by Samogitian jeweller - artist A. Jonušas. Interested visitors will probably enjoy a model of Horiuji pagoda temple, also a copy of the No theatre Okame mask, scenic images of kabuki, etc. *


famous

of a general population of 8000. Many were involved in trade which included produce, wood, and crafts. A major source of income was the famous Telšiai Yeshiva, (a school for Talmudic study, sometimes called a rabbinical college). It was the largest and most famous yeshiva in Lithuania between 1875 and 1941, establishing Telšiai as a center of Torah studies (the entire body of religious law and learning, including both sacred literature and oral tradition). There was also an Orthodox Jewish rabbinical

museum palace was built in 1938. Currently, Museum ''Alka'' is famous in Samogitia for its accumulation of over 62 thousand showpieces, 70 thousand pieces of estate archives, a 12 thousand book scientific library, and 15 thousand film negatives.famous-places.html Telšių apskrities turizmo informacijos centras – Muziejai – Muziejai. Telsiaitic.lt. The museum has a large historical exposition of Samogitia as well

as a large collection of paintings of famous Lithuanian and foreign artists.famous-places.html telsiaitic.lt. telsiaitic.lt. In the southern part of the city close to the Lake Mastis there is a city park with the Open-Air Museum of Rural Life of Samogitia. It was opened in 1983 and has an exposition of typical homesteads of 19th century Samogitia. Currently there are 16 authentic buildings. The museum exhibition is arranged in homestead


prominent modern

) DATE OF DEATH thumb 181 px Dancers in national costumes (File:Folk dances.jpg) Some of the most prominent modern village ensembles: Marcinkonys (Varėna dst.), Žiūrai (Varėna dst.), Kalviai-Lieponys (Trakai dst.), Luokė (Telšiai dst.), ''Linkava'' (Linkuva, Pakruojis dst.), ''Šeduviai'' (Šeduva, Radviliškis dst.), Užušiliai (Biržai dst.), Lazdiniai-Adutiškis (Švenčionys dst.). Some of the most prominent town folklore groups: ''Ratilio'', ''Ūla'', ''Jievaras'', ''Poringė

Some of the most prominent modern village ensembles: Marcinkonys (Varėna dst.), Žiūrai (Varėna dst.), Kalviai-Lieponys (Trakai dst.), Luokė (Telšiai dst.), ''Linkava'' (Linkuva, Pakruojis dst.), ''Šeduviai'' (Šeduva, Radviliškis dst.), Užušiliai (Biržai dst.), Lazdiniai-Adutiškis (Švenčionys dst.). Some of the most prominent town folklore groups: ''Ratilio'', ''Ūla'', ''Jievaras'', ''Poringė'' (Vilnius), ''Kupolė'' (Kaunas), ''Verpeta'' (Kaišiadorys), ''Mėguva'' ( Palanga


religious educational

of Torah study. History The yeshiva was founded in 1875 in the town of Telšiai ("Telshe" in Russian (Russian language) or "Telz" in Yiddish (Yiddish language)) to provide for the religious educational needs of young Jewish men in Telshe and its surrounding towns. '''Eugenijus Gentvilas''' (born 14 March 1960 in Telšiai) is a Lithuanian politician, signatory of the Act of the Re-Establishment of the State of Lithuania and Member of the European Parliament for the Liberal and Centre Union (Liberal Movement (Liberal Movement (Lithuania)) since 2006), sitting with the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for EuropeHe was mayor of Klaipėda from 1997 to 2001. In mid-2001, Gentvilas briefly acted as Prime Minister of Lithuania. Descendents The ''Ravad'' had many descendants, several hundred of whom today are named Raivid, Rayvid, Ravid, and Ravad. Family records indicate they made their way to Spain, where they appeared in Toledo (Toledo, Spain) and Barcelona and were reputedly advisers in the court of Ferdinand and Isabella. After the Inquisition, they were exiled to Italy, from whence they made their way to northern, and then later eastern, Europe, where they served as rabbis in Telšiai, Lithuania, and teachers in its Telshe yeshiva. Before the First World War, they emigrated to Brazil, Canada, England, Israel, Ireland, South Africa, and the United States, where they reside today. In Lithuania the line consisted of four fortified regions: *1. Telšiai fortified region (line from Palanga to Judrėnai, 75 kilometers, 8 centers of resistance, 23 bunkers built and 366 under construction on June 22, 1941). *2. Šiauliai fortified region (line from Pajūris to Jurbarkas, 90 kilometers, 6 centers of resistance, 27 bunkers built and 403 under construction). At the age of thirteen he was sent away from home to Telšiai and then to Vilijampolė (Slabodka yeshiva), where were situated two of the well known Yeshivot or academies for the study of Talmud. There he remained until the age of 15 and studied rabbinical lore with great zeal, the value of such studies resembling more than anything else the studies of the Schoolmen in the Middle Ages. Studies in Lithuania In 1924, at age 16, Shimon enrolled in the yeshiva in Telshe yeshiva located in Telšiai, Lithuania, where he studied Talmud intensively for three years, and afterwards spent two years in the Mir yeshiva (Mir Yeshiva (Poland)). It was not very common for German-Jewish students to study in Eastern-European ''yeshivot'', but two of Shimon's brothers (Moshe and Mordechai) would later follow the same path. thumb right Act of Lithuanian independence, Narutowicz's signature visible in the right column, third from the bottom (Image:Nepriklausomybes aktas.gif) '''Stanisław Narutowicz''' ( WikiPedia:Telšiai


small membership

parlamentas'' (literally Parliament of Samogitia), which concerns itself with regional autonomy based on historical claims. These claims often include the Klaipėda region in the interwar and would claim Klaipėda rather than Telšiai as the capital. The same group, led by Justinas Burba and having a small membership, has also published the controversial newspaper ''Žemaitijos parlamentas'', which raised the idea that the European Union should repay Samogitia for its defense


large historical

museum palace was built in 1938. Currently, Museum ''Alka'' is famous in Samogitia for its accumulation of over 62 thousand showpieces, 70 thousand pieces of estate archives, a 12 thousand book scientific library, and 15 thousand film negatives. Telšių apskrities turizmo informacijos centras – Muziejai – Muziejai. Telsiaitic.lt. The museum has a large historical exposition of Samogitia as well as a large collection of paintings of famous Lithuanian and foreign artists. telsiaitic.lt. telsiaitic.lt. In the southern part of the city close to the Lake Mastis there is a city park with the Open-Air Museum of Rural Life of Samogitia. It was opened in 1983 and has an exposition of typical homesteads of 19th century Samogitia. Currently there are 16 authentic buildings. The museum exhibition is arranged in homestead sections: a rich farmer’s grange; a barn; a poor farmer’s grange, and a simple peasant’s grange. Museum visitors can also get acquainted with a windmill, smithy, threshing barn and associated equipment. Drama Theater and Culture Centre The Drama Theater of Žemaitė, named after famous Lithuanian author Žemaitė, is one of the oldest theaters in Lithuania. The origins of the theater in Telšiai starts in the beginning of 20th century when student of arts and medicine Vaseris came back to Telšiai from Kiev and presented two performances in the empty barracks of the town. samogitia.mch.mii.lt. The Theater is a member of the International Amateur Theatre Association . Nowadays it has two troupes of actors: adult actors (director K. Brazauskas) and youth ''Savi'' actors (director L. Pocevičienė). http: telsiuteatras.lt istorija The head of the theater is Artūras Butkus. Telšiai also has a Culture centre. It was established in 1946. Current building of the centre was built in 1974. Since 2007 the building is under reconstruction. Currently it has 13 art collectives. telsiukultura.lt. Media in Telšiai The main newspaper in the city and the region of Telšiai is ''Kalvotoji Žemaitija'' (''Hilly Samogitia''), which was established on 19 April 1941. It is published three times a week and is available online. Hostingas už 1 Lt! – Puslapiai.lt. Kalzem.visiems.lt. The second largest newspaper of Telšiai is ''Telšių žinios'' (''The News of Telšiai'') established on 1 October 1999. It is published twice a week and is also available online. Kontaktai. Tzinios.lt. The main online portal for the city is ''www.telsiai.info'', which is part of the group of portals ''miestunaujienos.info''. Library The main library is the Telšiai Karolina Praniauskaitė Regional Public Library, located in the city centre. It was established in 1922. In 1967 it was named as the best district library in Lithuania. In 1997, the library was named after Karolina Praniauskaitė, the first poetess of Samogitia. Istorija – Telšių rajono savivaldybės Karolinos Praniauskaitės viešoji biblioteka. Kpbiblioteka.lt (21 May 2012). Tourism right thumb Samogitia tourism information center in Telšiai (File:Samogitia tourism information center.jpg) The old town of the city of Telšiai is one of seven protected old towns in Lithuania. Additionally to the Samogitian museum ''Alka'' and Open-Air Museum of Rural Life of Samogitia mentioned above (#Culture), the main tourist attractions in Telšiai are A. Jonušo Samogitian-Japanese-Chinese Homestead-Museum, Telšiai Cathedral and Telšiai Bishop Vincentas Borisevičius Priest Seminary (on the top floor of the Priest Seminary it is possible to see a panorama of the city), Telšiai yeshiva (Telshe yeshiva), the Church of The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary into Heaven, Telšiai (known as the "Little Church"), and the Orthodox Church of St. Nicolaus. A Tourist Information Center can be found in the centre of the town. telsiaitic.lt. telsiaitic.lt. Telšiai was announced as tourists destination by EDEN in 2013. http: ec.europa.eu enterprise sectors tourism eden destinations-2013 index_en.htm Geography Telšiai is located in the middle of the Samogitian Heights. The city was built on seven hills on the shores of Lake Mastis. The nearby Šatrija hill (227 m) is a nature preserve. Lithuanian Home Page. Neris.mii.lt. Government of Telšiai right thumb Landmark of Telšiai in Samogitian dialect (File:Telšiū žėnklos.jpg) According to the Law on the Territorial Administrative Units and Their Boundaries of the Republic of Lithuania, Telšiai is the centre of Telšiai County as well as the centre of Telšiai district municipality. Lietuvos Respublikos Seimas – Dokumento tekstas. . The city of Telšiai is also the centre of Telšiai town eldership (Elderships of Lithuania). It was established in 1997. Its area is WikiPedia:Telšiai

Telšiai

'''Telšiai''' ( , known also by several alternative names (#Names)), is a city in Lithuania with about 30,000 inhabitants. It is the capital of Telšiai County and Samogitia region, and it is located on the shores of Lake Mastis.

Telšiai is one of the oldest cities in Lithuania, probably dating earlier than the 14th century. Between the 15th and 20th centuries, Telšiai became a district capital and between 1795 and 1802 it was included in the Vilnius region (Vilnius county). In 1873, Telšiai was transferred to the Kaunas region (Kaunas county).

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017