Sharafat, East Jerusalem

What is Sharafat, East Jerusalem known for?


growing population

Iraq. Al-Sayyid Badr al-Dīn Muhammed (d. 1253, also known as Sheikh Badir), a renowned Sufi ''wāli (wali)'' (Muslim saint) from this family took up residence in Dayr al-Shaykh. 'Abd al-Ḥafiz (d. 1296–1297), his grandson, established roots in neighbouring Sharafat when Dayr al-Shaykh had become too small to accommodate the growing population, relinquishing the revenues to the land he owned in the latter for the benefit of those remaining. Dāwūd, the son of al-Ḥafiz, established a ''zāwiya (Zawiya (institution))'' and tomb in Sharafat where all his descendants were buried. The most famous of these were al-Sayyid 'Alī and al-Sayyid Muhammed al-Bahā', considered "pillars" of the Holy Land and its surroundings (''wa-kānā a'mida al-arḍ al-muaqaddasa wa-mā hawlahā''). thumb The Weli of Budrieh at Sherafat, between 1900 to 1926. (File:Sharafat1b.jpg) Under Mamluk rule, the village of Sharafat was dedicated as a waqf ("Islamic trust") to the Badriyya family by the viceroy of Damascus in 1349. Luṭfī, 1985, p. 121. Al-Dīn's ''al-Uns al-Jalīl'' suggests that Sharafat was named for this family of ''ashrāf''. The Palestine Exploration Fund notes that prior to its renaming, the village was known as ''Karafat'' (the opposite of ''Sharafat'', which means "noble"). Palestine Exploration Fund (PEF), 1916, pp. 16–17. Badriyya (also called Sitt Badriyya), Sheikh Badir's daughter, was also buried in Sharafat, as was her husband, Ahmed et-Tubbar. The simple, unadorned tomb of Sitt Badriyya overlooks a valley that is today crowded with highways, but is still venerated by area residents, who believe that she can render assistance in times of drought. Benveniśtî, 2000, p. 283 Universität Wien, 2005, p. 174. Ottoman era Sharafat is listed in the ''Daftar-i Mufassal'', a book of the Ottoman Empire that recorded tax related information for the villages in the area in 1596–1597. It had a population of 12 Muslim families. Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 120 A 16th-century Ottoman map situates Sharafat in the green belt around Jerusalem. Cohen, 1993, pp. 134–135. James Finn, the British consul to Jerusalem during Ottoman rule, writes of visiting Sharafat between 1853 and 1856. He describes it as a small village perched on high hill to the southwest of Jerusalem which could be seen from there. The villagers are described as "a robust and well-fed people," who expressed to him that they were happily exempt from a family feud between the Abu Ghosh and Mohammed 'Atallah that was the disturbing the peace of nearby Beit Safafa. Finn, 1878, pp. 215-216. In 1883 the Palestine Exploration Fund's ''Survey of Western Palestine'' (SWP) described ''Sherafat'' as a village of moderate size on a low hill. The houses were of stone, and the water-supply was from Ain Yalo, in the valley to the west. Conder and Kitchener, 1883, SWP III, p. 22. In her book, Bertha Spafford Vester, an American who lived in Jerusalem's American Colony in 1881 and 1949, writes about the grave of a female saint in the village who was venerated by Muslims and Christians alike. Vester, 2007, p. 313. British Mandate era In 1929, the American Colony established a child welfare station in Sharafat, in a room provided by the village sheikh which was also open to women from the neighbouring villages. Greenberg, 2010, p. 136. In 1931, the population of the village was recorded as 158 Muslims. Mills, 1932, p. 43 In interviews with area residents conducted between 1925 and 1931 by Hilma Natalia Granqvist, the Finnish ethnographer, when asked which villages were renowned for having more daughters than sons, Sharafat was named along with the villages of Beit Sahour and Ein Karem. Granqvist, 1950, p. 66. Jordanian era After the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, Sharafat lay in the area to the east of the Green Line (Green Line (Israel)) that was occupied by Jordan until 1967. Musa Alami a Palestinian nationalist (Palestinian nationalism) and politician, owned a house in Sharafat where he hosted members of the foreign press and British visitors. Nashāshībī, 1990, p. 207. Serene Husseini Shahid mentions Sharafat in her book ''A Jerusalem Childhood: The Early Life of Serene Husseini''. Her grandfather, Fadi al-Alami, Jerusalem's mayor under Ottoman rule, is said to have bought land in Sharafat after falling in love with an oak tree in the village that was thought to be 1,500 years old. Shahid's family owned a summer home in the village where she made friends with Miriam, the daughter of Ali Mishaal, the village mukhtar. Shahid writes that the mukhtar's home was surrounded by Israeli forces during a raid across the armistice line in 1951. The house was blown up, and Miriam and her daughter were partially buried in the rubble for a day before being rescued. They both succumbed to their wounds in the hospital.


green line

continue to be venerated to this day. After the 1948 Palestine War, Sharafat lay in the area to the east of the Green Line (Green Line (Israel)) that was occupied (Jordanian occupation of the West Bank) by Jordan until 1967. Following the occupation (Israeli-occupied territories) of the West Bank by Israel in the 1967 Six-Day War, it was added by Israel to the expanded Jerusalem District. Ma'oz and Nusseibeh, 2000, p. 62. In the 1970s, the Israeli government expropriated land from the village to build the Israeli settlement of Gilo, whose subsequent expansion saw the destruction of homes, vineyards and orchards in Sharafat. The Palestinian Authority (PA), established pursuant to 1993 Oslo Accords, considers Sharafat a part of its Jerusalem Governorate. In 2002, the population was made up of 978 Palestinians.


jerusalem

mayor '''Sharafat''' ( ) is a Palestinian (Palestinian people) village in East Jerusalem. Cohen, 1993, p. 12. Historically, it was located in Palestine, about 5 km to the south west of Jerusalem. Ephrat, 2008, pp. 158–159. It is mentioned in Jerusalem chronicles from the 13th and 15th centuries, Ottoman tax records (daftar) from

continue to be venerated to this day. After the 1948 Palestine War, Sharafat lay in the area to the east of the Green Line (Green Line (Israel)) that was occupied (Jordanian occupation of the West Bank) by Jordan until 1967. Following the occupation (Israeli-occupied territories) of the West Bank by Israel in the 1967 Six-Day War, it was added by Israel to the expanded Jerusalem District. Ma'oz and Nusseibeh, 2000, p. 62. ref>


military intelligence

url http: www.boell-ameo.org downloads 37_Spring_2009.pdf title Features - A Jerusalem Childhood: The Early Life of Serene Husseini journal Jerusalem Quarterly date Spring 2009 volume 37 accessdate 2010-02-22 format PDF publisher Heinrich Böll 1951 Israeli raid On the night of February 6–7, 1951, the Israel Defense Forces carried out a raid on Sharafat on the orders of Israeli prime minister David Ben-Gurion after Military Intelligence Directorate (Israel) IDF


temple studies

. Ceramic artifacts and a Hasmonean coin date from the Hellenistic and Roman periods. A ritual bath (mikve) was documented near the site. D. Amit, 1994. Ritual Baths in the Hebron Hill Country: Landmarks for Reconstructing the Jewish Settlement during the Time of the Second Temple. Studies of Judea and Samaria, Proceedings of the Third Conference, pp. 161–162 Hebrew ; A. Kloner 2000. Survey of Jerusalem: The Southern Sector, Site 105 87) and a burial field that dated


family

the 16th century, and the travel writings and ethnographies (ethnography) of European and American visitors to Palestine in the 19th and 20th centuries. During the period of Mamluk (Mamluk Sultanate (Cairo)) rule (c. 13th - early 16th centuries), Sharafat was home to the Badriyya a renowned family of ''awliya'' (Muslim saints) to whom the village was dedicated as a ''waqf'' (Islamic trust) by the viceroy of Damascus in the 14th century, and whose family tombs

, housing a population of 963 in 245 dwellings. History Mamluk era During the period of Mamluk (Mamluk Sultanate (Cairo)) rule (c. 13th - early 16th centuries), Sharafat was home to the Badriyya a renowned family of ''awliya'' (Muslim saints) to whom the village was dedicated as a ''waqf'' (Islamic trust) by the viceroy of Damascus in the 14th century, and whose family tombs continue to be venerated to this day. Sharafat

is mentioned in Jerusalem chronicles from the 13th and 15th centuries, Ottoman tax records (daftar) from the 16th century, and the travel writings and ethnographies (ethnography) of European and American visitors to Palestine in the 19th and 20th centuries. Jerusalem chronicles from the 13th century mention the Husseini family renting the lands of Sharafat.


+book+

books?id 7itq6zYtSJwC&pg PA283 283 Universität Wien, 2005, p. 174. Ottoman era Sharafat is listed in the ''Daftar-i Mufassal'', a book of the Ottoman Empire that recorded tax related information for the villages in the area in 1596–1597. It had a population of 12 Muslim families. Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 120 A 16th-century Ottoman map situates Sharafat in the green belt around Jerusalem. ref name

: www.archive.org stream surveyofwesternp03conduoft#page 22 mode 1up 22 . In her book, Bertha Spafford Vester, an American who lived in Jerusalem's American Colony in 1881 and 1949, writes about the grave of a female saint in the village who was venerated by Muslims and Christians alike. Vester, 2007, p. 313. British Mandate era In 1929, the American Colony established a child welfare station in Sharafat, in a room provided by the village

Palestinian nationalist and politician, owned a house in Sharafat where he hosted members of the foreign press and British visitors. Nashāshībī, 1990, p. 207. Serene Husseini Shahid mentions Sharafat in her book ''A Jerusalem Childhood: The Early Life of Serene Husseini''. Her grandfather, Fadi al-Alami, Jerusalem's mayor under Ottoman rule, is said to have bought land in Sharafat after falling in love with an oak tree in the village


summer home

that was thought to be 1,500 years old. Shahid's family owned a summer home in the village where she made friends with Miriam, the daughter of Ali Mishaal, the village mukhtar. Shahid writes that the mukhtar's home was surrounded by Israeli forces during a raid across the armistice line in 1951. The house was blown up, and Miriam and her daughter were partially buried in the rubble for a day before being rescued. They both succumbed to their wounds in the hospital.


book

books?id 7itq6zYtSJwC&pg PA283 283 Universität Wien, 2005, p. 174. Ottoman era Sharafat is listed in the ''Daftar-i Mufassal'', a book of the Ottoman Empire that recorded tax related information for the villages in the area in 1596–1597. It had a population of 12 Muslim families. Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 120 A 16th-century Ottoman map situates Sharafat in the green belt around Jerusalem. ref name

: www.archive.org stream surveyofwesternp03conduoft#page 22 mode 1up 22 . In her book, Bertha Spafford Vester, an American who lived in Jerusalem's American Colony in 1881 and 1949, writes about the grave of a female saint in the village who was venerated by Muslims and Christians alike. Vester, 2007, p. 313. British Mandate era In 1929, the American Colony established a child welfare station in Sharafat, in a room provided by the village

Palestinian nationalist and politician, owned a house in Sharafat where he hosted members of the foreign press and British visitors. Nashāshībī, 1990, p. 207. Serene Husseini Shahid mentions Sharafat in her book ''A Jerusalem Childhood: The Early Life of Serene Husseini''. Her grandfather, Fadi al-Alami, Jerusalem's mayor under Ottoman rule, is said to have bought land in Sharafat after falling in love with an oak tree in the village


development projects

Hananiap156 Hanania, 1996, p. 156. Development projects In 2010, the Latin Patriarchate launched a construction project to house dozens of Christian families, mostly young couples with children. Some 9,000 square meters of land were purchased by the families and the Jerusalem municipality granted the necessary construction permits. Eighty apartments are now under construction.

Sharafat, East Jerusalem

'''Sharafat''' ( ) is a Palestinian (Palestinian people) village in East Jerusalem. Cohen, 1993, p. 12. Historically, it was located in Palestine, about 5 km to the south west of Jerusalem. Ephrat, 2008, pp. 158–159. It is mentioned in Jerusalem chronicles from the 13th and 15th centuries, Ottoman tax records (daftar) from the 16th century, and the travel writings and ethnographies (ethnography) of European and American visitors to Palestine in the 19th and 20th centuries.

During the period of Mamluk (Mamluk Sultanate (Cairo)) rule (c. 13th - early 16th centuries), Sharafat was home to the Badriyya a renowned family of ''awliya'' (Muslim saints) to whom the village was dedicated as a ''waqf'' (Islamic trust) by the viceroy of Damascus in the 14th century, and whose family tombs continue to be venerated to this day.

After the 1948 Palestine War, Sharafat lay in the area to the east of the Green Line (Green Line (Israel)) that was occupied (Jordanian occupation of the West Bank) by Jordan until 1967. Following the occupation (Israeli-occupied territories) of the West Bank by Israel in the 1967 Six-Day War, it was added by Israel to the expanded Jerusalem District. Ma'oz and Nusseibeh, 2000, p. 62. In the 1970s, the Israeli government expropriated land from the village to build the Israeli settlement of Gilo, whose subsequent expansion saw the destruction of homes, vineyards and orchards in Sharafat. The Palestinian Authority (PA), established pursuant to 1993 Oslo Accords, considers Sharafat a part of its Jerusalem Governorate. In 2002, the population was made up of 978 Palestinians.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017