Province of Saxony

What is Province of Saxony known for?


called free

manner, independent congregations arose in a number of places. In 1847, a union was effected between them on the basis of a simple profession of faith in God and called '''Free Congregations''' (Ger. ''freie Gemeinden''). By this time their gatherings, held symbolically in the open air, had come to number more than two thousand, including delegates from England and America (United States). Eggeling was born in Blankenburg am Harz, Province of Saxony. A farmer's son, Eggeling


quot works

infantry up to 1864, when he became a major-general after the Second Schleswig War. Schultze-Naumburg was born in Almrich (now part of Naumburg) in Prussian Saxony (Province of Saxony), and by 1900 was a well-known painter and architect, first emerging as a more-conservative member of the group of artists who established the Jugendstil and the Arts and Crafts workshops in Munich. His series of books the ''Kulturarbeiten'' ("Works of Culture"), nine volumes published


music solo

Wilhelm, 1914-1917. He was born in Schwerstedt, near Erfurt, Prussian Saxony (Province of Saxony), in 1830. He produced a large number of works, most of which were light and popular. The piano solo (Solo (music))s, ''Edelweiss'' (Op. 31), and ''Blumenlied'' (Op. 39), alternatively known as ''Flower Song'' in English (English language), are perhaps two of his best known works today. File:Bundesarchiv Bild 183-29427-0003, Magdeburg, Dom, 1000 Jahre.jpg thumb left


century+experimental

Knoblauch at Halle as the ''ordinarius'' professor for experimental physics In Germany, until the early twentieth century, experimental physics had priority over theoretical physics, and therefore such positions were considered to be higher in rank. This changed with the rise of German theoretical physics in the early twentieth century, especially through the activities of Max Born at the University of Göttingen and Arnold Sommerfeld at the University of Munich, who adroitly


Reichsarbeitsdienst

in the Tegel district of Berlin and whilst in Berlin he was promoted to lieutenant on 10 August 1912. Götting was born in Nietleben, Province of Saxony, now part of Halle Saale (Halle, Saxony-Anhalt). During World War II, he served in the Reichsarbeitsdienst, an auxiliary support and supply organization, and later in the Wehrmacht. He was briefly held as a prisoner of war (POW) by US forces in 1945. With the extinction of the Wettin Saxe-Weissenfels line


solo music

Wilhelm, 1914-1917. He was born in Schwerstedt, near Erfurt, Prussian Saxony (Province of Saxony), in 1830. He produced a large number of works, most of which were light and popular. The piano solo (Solo (music))s, ''Edelweiss'' (Op. 31), and ''Blumenlied'' (Op. 39), alternatively known as ''Flower Song'' in English (English language), are perhaps two of his best known works today. File:Bundesarchiv Bild 183-29427-0003, Magdeburg, Dom, 1000 Jahre.jpg thumb left


science art

20,700 square kilometres, divided into thirteen rural districts (Kreis in Prussia), named after their capitals: Thomas Curtis (1839). ''The London encyclopaedia, or, Universal dictionary of science, art, literature, and practical mechanics, by the orig. ed. of the Encyclopaedia metropolitana'' Volume XVIII, p. 11 The Bishopric of Halberstadt was likewise mediatised (German Mediatisation) in 1803, and according to the Final Act of the 1815 Vienna Congress (Congress of Vienna), the Oker was the eastern border of the Kingdom of Hanover with the Duchy of Brunswick and the Prussian Province of Saxony. When the Kingdom of Prussia annexed Hanover in 1866, it became the inner Prussian border between the provinces of Hanover (Province of Hanover) and Saxony (Province of Saxony) as well as the border, north of Börßum to Ohrum between the Province of Hanover in the west and the Duchy of Brunswick in the east. From 1945 to 1990 the Inner German border between East (East Germany) and West Germany ran down the centre of the Oker between Wiedelah and Schladen, today between the German states (States of Germany) of Saxony-Anhalt and Lower Saxony. The Bishopric of Halberstadt was likewise mediatised (German Mediatisation) in 1803, and according to the Final Act of the 1815 Vienna Congress (Congress of Vienna), the Oker was the eastern border of the Kingdom of Hanover with the Duchy of Brunswick and the Prussian Province of Saxony. When the Kingdom of Prussia annexed Hanover in 1866, it became the inner Prussian border between the provinces of Hanover (Province of Hanover) and Saxony (Province of Saxony) as well as the border, north of Börßum to Ohrum between the Province of Hanover in the west and the Duchy of Brunswick in the east. From 1945 to 1990 the Inner German border between East (East Germany) and West Germany ran down the centre of the Oker between Wiedelah and Schladen, today between the German states (States of Germany) of Saxony-Anhalt and Lower Saxony. Life and work Dorn was born in Guttstadt (Dobre Miasto) (Dobre Miasto), Province of Prussia, and died in Halle (Halle, Saxony-Anhalt), Province of Saxony. He was educated at Königsberg and went on to teach at the university level. In 1885, at Halle University, Dorn took over the position of personal ''ordinarius'' professor for theoretical physics from Anton Oberbeck. Since Dorn was already an ''ordinarius'' professor, The position of ''ordinarius'' professor outranks that of ''extraordinarius'' professor, which is comparable to that of associate professor. he was allowed to assume the title so as to not appear as having been demoted. Jungnickel and McCormmach, 1990b: p. 37 In 1895, Dorn succeeded Hermann Knoblauch at Halle as the ''ordinarius'' professor for experimental physics In Germany, until the early twentieth century, experimental physics had priority over theoretical physics, and therefore such positions were considered to be higher in rank. This changed with the rise of German theoretical physics in the early twentieth century, especially through the activities of Max Born at the University of Göttingen and Arnold Sommerfeld at the University of Munich, who adroitly used experimental physics to test and develop their theories. and director of the physics institute. Dorn’s previous duties were assumed by Karl Schmidt, who had been a Privatdozent and was called as an ''extraordinarius'' professor for theoretical physics. Jungnickel and McCormmach, 1990b: p. 293 The Duchy of Brunswick (deriving from Brunswick-Lüneburg (Brunswick-Lueneburg)) created administrative districts (''Kreise'') in 1833; the District of Helmstedt was one of those districts. It was subdivided into the Ämter (Amt (political division)) of Calvörde (Calvörde (Amt)), Königslutter (Königslutter (Amt)), Helmstedt (Helmstedt (Amt)), Schöningen (Schöningen (Amt)), and Vorsfelde (Vorsfelde (Amt)). In 1944, the Amt of Calvörde, which formed an exclave, was moved to the District of Haldensleben (Haldensleben (district)), Province of Saxony. During the administrative reforms of the 1970s, northern areas of the district were moved to the District of Gifhorn (Gifhorn (district)) and to the City of Wolfsburg; the district gained areas in the west from the District of Gifhorn and the District of Brunswick (Brunswick (district)) (see List of territorial changes to the District of Helmstedt). Early life Born in Aschersleben in the Province of Saxony into an aristocratic Prussian family, von Rundstedt joined the German Army in 1892, then entered Germany′s elite military academy (Military academy#Germany) in 1902 – an institution that accepted only 160 new students annually and weeded out 75% of the students through exams. During World War I, he rose in rank until 1918 when he was a major and was chief of staff of his division (division (military)). The city from 1247 began developing as a reestablishment from the old part of the town. In 1701 it became part of the Kingdom of Prussia. In 1713, the two towns Altstadt and Neustadt became one. Salzwedel became part of the Prussian Province of Saxony in 1815 after the Napoleonic Wars. In 1870 it received a railroad connection. The medieval part of the town remains the commercial and administrative center of the town until today. The Altmark remained with the Brandenburg margraviate, since 1415 held by the House of Hohenzollern, and thereby became part of rising Brandenburg-Prussia and of the Kingdom of Prussia upon its creation in 1701. After Prussia's defeat at the hands of Napoleon (Napoleon I of France) in 1806, the territory was lost under the terms of the Treaty of Tilsit and included within the new Kingdom of Westphalia. It was restored upon Napoleon's defeat under Article XXIII of the Final Act of the Congress of Vienna, however the separation from Brandenburg lasted, as the Altmark then was attached the new Prussian Province of Saxony in 1815. Within Prussian Saxony, the Altmark was subdivided into the districts of Salzwedel, Gardelegen, Osterburg, and Stendal, all administered within the ''Regierungsbezirk'' of Magdeburg (Magdeburg (region)). thumb left Parish church (File:Bismark Kirche.jpg) In the early 12th century the area then under the rule of Albert the Bear was settled with peasants descending from the Low Countries. The town's name is derived from the nearby Biese creek (after ), in the nine pre-1866 political provinces of Prussia, to wit in the Province of East Prussia (homonymous ecclesiastical province), in Berlin, which had become a separate Prussian administrative unit in 1881, and the Province of Brandenburg (''Ecclesiastical Province of the March of Brandenburg'' for both), in the Province of Pomerania (Province of Pomerania (1815–1945)) (homonymous), in the Province of Posen (homonymous), in the Rhine Province and since 1899 in the Province of Hohenzollern (''Ecclesiastical Province of the Rhineland''), in the Province of Saxony (homonymous), in the Province of Silesia (homonymous), in the Province of Westphalia (homonymous), and in the Province of West Prussia (homonymous). Every ecclesiastical province had a provincial synod (representing the provincial parishioners and clergy The ''March of Brandenburg'' provincial synod convened for the first time in autumn 1844, presided by Daniel Neander. ), and one consistory (or more), led by general superintendents (Superintendent (ecclesiastical)) (Gen.-Supt.). The ecclesiastical provinces of Saxony, Silesia and Pomerania had two, that of the ''March of Brandenburg'', three – from 1911 to 1933 even four – general superintendents, annually alternating in the leadership of the respective consistory. Life Launicke was born in Roßleben in the Province of Saxony and began by doing building work. In 1923, he joined the Communist Youth League of Germany (''Kommunistischer Jugendverband Deutschlands''; KJVD) and the Workers' Sporting Association (''Arbeitersportverein''). In 1927, he became a member of the Communist Party of Germany (KPD). He also became active in the ''Rotfrontkämpferbund''. Life Born in Magdeburg in the Prussian (Kingdom of Prussia) province of Saxony (Province of Saxony), Seldte was the son of an owner of a factory producing chemical products and soda water. He attended the Wilhelm-Raabe-Gymnasium (Gymnasium (school)) in Magdeburg and, after an apprenticeship as a salesman, he studied chemistry at the universities of Braunschweig (Braunschweig University of Technology) and Greifswald (University of Greifswald). In 1908 he took over the business of his early deceased father. Origins It originated in the Province of Saxony, in 1841. The members were also called '''Protestant Friends'''. The immediate occasion was an attempt to discipline a Magdeburg preacher who had expressed heretical views. Early leaders in the movement were Leberecht Uhlich and Gustav Adolf Wislicenus, both of whom were forced out of the Evangelical Church (Evangelical Church in Germany) for expressing liberal views. In like manner, independent congregations arose in a number of places. In 1847, a union was effected between them on the basis of a simple profession of faith in God and called '''Free Congregations''' (Ger. ''freie Gemeinden''). By this time their gatherings, held symbolically in the open air, had come to number more than two thousand, including delegates from England and America (United States). Eggeling was born in Blankenburg am Harz, Province of Saxony. A farmer's son, Eggeling went to the ''Bürgerschule'' (a kind of vocational school once found in some parts of Germany) and the Gymnasium (Gymnasium (school)) in Blankenburg, and between 1898 and 1904 completed officer training at the cadet schools at Oranienstein and Groß-Lichterfelde. The Diet of Gelnhausen is of much importance in the history of Germany. The Emperor Frederick executed here a great legal act. Yet the splitting up of the extensive country of the Saxons into a large number of principalities subject only to the imperial government was one of the causes of the system of petty states which proved so disadvantageous to Germany in its later history. The territory of the old duchy never again bore the name of Saxony; the large western part acquired the name of Westphalia. However, as regards customs and peculiarities of speech, the designation Lower Saxony (Lower Saxon Circle) was still in existence for the districts on the lower Elbe, that is, the northern part of the Province of Saxony, Hanover, Hamburg, etc., in distinction from Upper Saxony (Upper Saxon Circle), that is, the Kingdom of Saxony, and Thuringia. From the era of the conversion of the Saxons up to the revolt of the sixteenth century, a rich religious life was developed in the territory included in the medieval Duchy of Saxony. Art, learning, poetry, and the writing of history reached a high degree of perfection in the many monasteries. Among the most noted places of learning were the cathedral and monastery schools of Corvey, Hildesheim, Paderborn, and Münster. This era produced architecturally fine churches of the Romanesque style that are still in existence, as the cathedrals of Goslar, Soest (Soest, Germany), and Brunswick (Braunschweig), the chapel of St. Bartholomew at Paderborn, the collegiate churches at Quedlinburg, Königslutter, Gernrode, etc. Hildesheim, which contains much Romanesque work, has especially fine churches of this style. The cathedrals at Naumburg, Paderborn, Münster, and Osnabrück are striking examples of the Transition period. Only a few of these buildings still belong to the Catholic Church. thumb Heinrich Albert. (File:Bundesarchiv Bild 102-13486, Heinrich F. Albert.jpg) '''Heinrich Friedrich Albert''' (February 12, 1874, Magdeburg, Province of Saxony – November 1, 1960) was a German lawyer who served as commercial attaché to the Imperial German Ambassador to the United States Johann Heinrich von Bernstorff during World War I. He was also the paymaster for German espionage and sabotage operations in the United States. In addition, he also arranged for forged passorts and documents for German-Americans who wanted to return to fight for the German armed forces.


important+voice

1900-1917, were extremely popular and established him as a major tastemaker for the German middle class. By the First World War, he had become a major proponent of traditional architecture, an originator of the "Circa 1800" movement, and an important voice in both the Deutsche Werkbund and the nationalist German architecture and landscape preservation movement. A well-known example of his architecture from this time is the Cecilienhof Palace in Potsdam, built for crown prince


liberal views

he took over the business of his early deceased father. Origins It originated in the Province of Saxony, in 1841. The members were also called '''Protestant Friends'''. The immediate occasion was an attempt to discipline a Magdeburg preacher who had expressed heretical views. Early leaders in the movement were Leberecht Uhlich and Gustav Adolf Wislicenus, both of whom were forced out of the Evangelical Church (Evangelical Church in Germany) for expressing liberal views. In like


great+legal

went to the ''Bürgerschule'' (a kind of vocational school once found in some parts of Germany) and the Gymnasium (Gymnasium (school)) in Blankenburg, and between 1898 and 1904 completed officer training at the cadet schools at Oranienstein and Groß-Lichterfelde. The Diet of Gelnhausen is of much importance in the history of Germany. The Emperor Frederick executed here a great legal act. Yet the splitting up of the extensive country of the Saxons into a large number of principalities

Province of Saxony

The '''Province of Saxony''' ( ) was a province (Provinces of Prussia) of the Kingdom of Prussia and later the Free State of Prussia from 1816 until 1945. Its capital was Magdeburg.

It was formed mainly of what had formerly been the northern part of the kingdom of Saxony, which was ceded to Prussia in 1815, but it also included part of the duchy of Magdeburg and other districts, which had been comprised in Prussia from an earlier date.

The province was bounded by Hesse-Nassau, Hanover (Electorate of Hanover) and Brunswick (Electorate of Brunswick-Lüneburg) to the west, Hanover and Brandenburg (Margraviate of Brandenburg) to the north, Brandenburg and Silesia (Province of Silesia) to the east, and the remnant kingdom of Saxony and small Thuringian states (Ernestine duchies) to the south. Its shape was very irregular and entirely surrounded portions of Brunswick and of Thuringian states and itself did possess several exclaves, and its northern portion being almost severed from the southern by the duchy of Anhalt. The majority of population was Protestant, with a Catholic minority (numbering about 8% as of 1905) considered part of the diocese of Paderborn. The province sent 20 members to the Reichstag (Reichstag (German Empire)) and 38 delegates to the Prussian ''Abgeordnetenhaus'' (house of representatives).

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017