Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin

What is Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin known for?


significant history

campus was purchased on the west side of Milwaukee. The cornerstone of the new school was laid in 1928, and it opened its doors to students in 1929. Diocesan institutions Among the institutions in the Diocese of La Crosse are 10 Catholic-affiliated hospitals; Viterbo University, which enrolls 2,167 students; St. Rose of Viterbo Convent, the motherhouse of the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, and the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse. The first Mass was held at the Shrine on July 31, 2008. Prairie du Chien (Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin) was home to the Jesuit-run Campion High School until its closing in 1975. - 1685 Prairie du Chien (Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin) Wisconsin United States - 1686 Arkansas Post Arkansas United States Fort Howard, along with Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien (Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin),was constructed during the War of 1812 to protect the Fox-Wisconsin Waterway, an important regional trade and travel route between Lake Michigan and the Mississippi River, from British (United Kingdom) invasion. The fort was built at the site of the earlier French Fort La Baye (and renamed Fort Edward Augustus by the British in 1761). Early life Bowlen was born in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, the son of Arvella (née Woods) and Paul Dennis Bowlen, who became a millionaire in the Canadian oil business, founding Regent Drilling as a wildcatter. Bowlen attended the University of Oklahoma and earned degrees in business (1965) and law (1968). The younger Bowlen became wealthy in his own right by becoming a successful lawyer in Edmonton, Alberta. He also worked as an executive for his father's company and as a real estate developer and had major investments in the mining industry. '''Fort Winnebago''' was a 19th century fortification of the United States Army located on a hill between the Fox (Fox River (Wisconsin)) and Wisconsin Rivers in Portage, Wisconsin. It formed part of a chain of fortifications along the Fox-Wisconsin Waterway that also included Fort Howard (Fort Howard (Wisconsin)) in Green Bay, Wisconsin and Fort Crawford in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. Fort Winnebago was constructed in 1828 as part of an effort to maintain peace between white settlers and the region's Native American (Native Americans in the United States) tribes following the Winnebago War of 1827. The fort's location was chosen not only because of its proximity to the site of Red Bird's surrender in the Winnebago War, but also because of the strategic importance of Portage, Wisconsin, which, as the city's name implies, was the site of an important portage on the Fox-Wisconsin Waterway, a highly travelled connection between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River. Fort Winnebago's location near the portage allowed it to regulate transportation between the lakes and the Mississippi. In this treaty, the tribes agreed to land cession of three large tracts of land: two strips of land 20 miles wide each on either side of the boundary established by the first (1825) Treaty of Prairie du Chien (roughly from La Crosse, Wisconsin to Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin), extending from the Mississippi River to the Des Moines River in what today is southeastern Minnesota and northeastern Iowa; and a large triangular tract of land in southeastern Nebraska and northwestern Missouri, western Iowa and southern Minnesota, from Kansas City, Missouri due north to the Des Moines River, to the area about Spirit Lake, Iowa to Worthington, Minnesota, down Rock River (Rock River (Iowa)), down the Missouri River and back to Kansas City. Additional tribes later ceded the large triangular tract as the Platte Purchase in 1836. Construction This was to be the second US fort between St. Louis and Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. The US wanted to establish a military presence to dissuade the French and English Canadians (who traded in areas nearby) from encroaching upon the unorganized territory. After its losses at several forts during the War of 1812, the US Army wanted to increase its presence on the Mississippi frontier. The fort also would serve to protect American settlers within the area and to help control or remove the Sauk, the American Indians (Indigenous peoples of the Americas) in the region. The Sauk disapproved of its construction; Black Hawk wrote in his memoir, "When we arrived we found that the troops had come to build a fort on Rock Island. This, in our opinion, was a contradiction to what we had done– 'to prepare for war in time of peace.' We did not object, however, to their building their fort on the island, but were very sorry."


school title

; Throughout his early life, his family moved frequently through Illinois, Florida, New York, Wisconsin, and Massachusetts. He graduated from Campion Jesuit High School (Campion High School) in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, in 1943.

authorlink Campion High School title Campion Forever work date url http: www.campionforever.org accessdate 2007-01-24 He then received V-12 (V-12 Navy College Training Program) officer training at Bates College and served with the United States Navy from 1943 to 1946 as a submariner.


Capri

passenger train stopped in Marquette in 1960, and the pontoon bridge was disassembled in 1961. Today the city is a tourist destination, most notable for the being home to an Isle of Capri (Isle of Capri Casinos) riverboat casino. '''McGregor''' is a city in Clayton County (Clayton County, Iowa), Iowa, United States. The population was 871 at the 2010 census (2010 United States Census). McGregor is located on the Mississippi River across from Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin


large campaign

and his superior General William Henry Harrison designed a large campaign to capture control of the Great Lakes and sever the fur trade alliance between the British and the tribes of the region; as part of this campaign, the Americans attempted to retake Mackinac Island in July 1814. The two-pronged campaign included an assault on Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, on the Mississippi River. Note *Campion High School, Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. Note: Campion High School


century life

" Taylor , whom he married in 1835. Davis, Jefferson (in Wisconsin) thumb left Illustration of Prairie du Chien in 1870 (File:Prairie du Chien map 1870.gif) Outside the walls of the fort, early nineteenth century life in Prairie du Chien was still dominated by the fur trade. Prairie du Chien's most well-known traders during


large events

as GRABAAWR begins in Eagle River (Eagle River, Wisconsin) and ends in Prairie du Chien. St. Feriole Island has a long riverfront with a park, connected to a bike path that goes around the island. Shelters can be used for large events. Across from the Villa Louis is a large open field that was once used as a horse racing track. On the far end of the field are two large soccer fields. Pets are allowed to run in the large fields as well. Notable people * Matthew Antoine (b. 1985


608

publisher United States Census Bureau accessdate 2013-06-24 population_note population_total 5911 population_density_km2 405.4 population_density_sq_mi 1049.9 population_blank1_title Demonym population_blank1 area_code 608 (Area code 608) timezone Central utc_offset −6 timezone_DST CDT utc_offset_DST −5 coordinates_display inline,title

of Joseph-Louis Ainse, a British superintendent at Mackinac. In 1809, he settled in the small village of Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, and commenced trading, on his own account, with the Indians of the Winnebago (Ho-Chunk), Fox, and Sioux tribes. In addition to that, he conducted an exchange of lead with Julien Dubuque, at the point now occupied by the city of that name. right 400px Map of Wisconsin showing area codes (Image:WI Area Codes (Display).png) The '''608 area code


current knowledge

of current knowledge on the human digestive process. Col. Zachary Taylor, who later became the 12th U.S. President, was the commanding officer at Fort Crawford during the Black Hawk War of 1832. Taylor oversaw the surrender of Black Hawk in Prairie du Chien. Lt. Jefferson Davis, who later became president of the Confederate States of America, was stationed at Fort Crawford at the same time. Here Jefferson Davis met Zachary Taylor's daughter, Sarah "Knoxie" Taylor (Sarah Knox Taylor), whom he married in 1835. Davis, Jefferson (in Wisconsin) thumb left Illustration of Prairie du Chien in 1870 (File:Prairie du Chien map 1870.gif) Outside the walls of the fort, early nineteenth century life in Prairie du Chien was still dominated by the fur trade. Prairie du Chien's most well-known traders during this time were Michel Brisbois, Joseph Rolette, Nathan Myrick, and Hercules L. Dousman. Dousman built a fortune in the fur trade, which, combined with income from investments in land, steamboats, and railroads, propelled him to become the first millionaire in Wisconsin. Dousman died in 1868, and his son, H. Louis Dousman, inherited much of his fortune. In 1870 Louis Dousman used his inheritance to construct a luxurious Victorian mansion over the site of the former Fort Shelby. When Louis died unexpectedly in 1886, his family renamed the home "Villa Louis" in his memory. The Dousman family continued to occupy the home until 1913. Nearly 40 years later, in 1952, the mansion became Wisconsin's first state-operated historic site. After the fur trade declined in the mid-nineteenth century, Prairie du Chien's attention shifted to agriculture and the railroad. Although the city was first connected to the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad (Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul and Pacific Railroad) in 1857, the width of the Mississippi River posed a challenge for further expansion of the railroad into Iowa. This problem was temporarily solved by disassembling the trains at Prairie du Chien and ferrying them across the river to be put back on the tracks on the other side. A better solution was found by Michael Spettel and John Lawler, who designed a permanent pontoon bridge to span the river in 1874. Lawler took most of the credit for this invention, and made a small fortune through its operation. Lawler later donated property to establish two Catholic boarding schools in Prairie du Chien, St. Mary's Institute (now Mount Mary College of Milwaukee (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)), and Campion High School in the later part of the century. Campion High School produced several notable alumni including Vicente Fox, Congressman Leo Ryan, Governor Patrick Lucey, actors David Doyle (David Doyle (actor)), George Wendt, and Kevin McCarthy (Kevin McCarthy (actor)), and writer Garry Wills. Campion was closed in 1975. History of municipal government Prairie du Chien was incorporated as the ''Borough of Prairie des Chiens'' on September 17, 1821 by the secretary of the Michigan Territory. "An Act to incorporate the Borough of Prairie des Chiens", Sept. 17, 1821, in ''Laws of the Territory of Michigan vol. 1'' p. 236 http: books.google.com books?id _X7hAAAAMAAJ It is the only municipality in Wisconsin other than Green Bay (Green Bay, Wisconsin) to have been known as a borough, rather than a city, town, or village. David E. Spencer, "Local Government in Wisconsin", in ''Collections of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin'', vol. XI. Madison, Wisconsin: Democrat Printing Co., 1888. p. 505 http: books.google.com books?id ECYPAQAAIAAJ&pg PA505 The borough existed for a few years before the government stopped operating in 1825 Daniel S. Durrie, "Annals of Prairie du Chien", 1872. http: ia310831.us.archive.org 3 items earlyoutpostsofw01durr earlyoutpostsofw01durr.pdf In 1828, the Prairie du Chien area became a part of the Town of St. Anthony, a town which included all of immense Crawford County (Crawford County, Wisconsin). (Crawford County itself included all of the western part of Michigan Territory.) In 1849, the Town of Prairie du Chien was created, consisting of most of present-day Crawford County. The city of Prairie du Chien was then incorporated in 1872. History of Crawford and Richland Counties, Wisconsin. Springfield, Illinois: Union Publishing Co., 1881 at 644. http: ia331413.us.archive.org 1 items historyofcrawfor00butt historyofcrawfor00butt.pdf Geography thumb Mississippi River right The Mississippi River (Image:Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien.jpg), viewed from St. Feriole Island. Prairie du Chien is located within the Mississippi River Valley, upon a long triangular plain that is bounded on the west by the Mississippi River, on the south by the Wisconsin River, and on the east-northeast by a series of tall bluffs. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of campus was purchased on the west side of Milwaukee. The cornerstone of the new school was laid in 1928, and it opened its doors to students in 1929. Diocesan institutions Among the institutions in the Diocese of La Crosse are 10 Catholic-affiliated hospitals; Viterbo University, which enrolls 2,167 students; St. Rose of Viterbo Convent, the motherhouse of the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration, and the Shrine of Our Lady of Guadalupe in La Crosse. The first Mass was held at the Shrine on July 31, 2008. Prairie du Chien (Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin) was home to the Jesuit-run Campion High School until its closing in 1975. - 1685 Prairie du Chien (Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin) Wisconsin United States - 1686 Arkansas Post Arkansas United States Fort Howard, along with Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien (Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin),was constructed during the War of 1812 to protect the Fox-Wisconsin Waterway, an important regional trade and travel route between Lake Michigan and the Mississippi River, from British (United Kingdom) invasion. The fort was built at the site of the earlier French Fort La Baye (and renamed Fort Edward Augustus by the British in 1761). Early life Bowlen was born in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, the son of Arvella (née Woods) and Paul Dennis Bowlen, who became a millionaire in the Canadian oil business, founding Regent Drilling as a wildcatter. Bowlen attended the University of Oklahoma and earned degrees in business (1965) and law (1968). The younger Bowlen became wealthy in his own right by becoming a successful lawyer in Edmonton, Alberta. He also worked as an executive for his father's company and as a real estate developer and had major investments in the mining industry. '''Fort Winnebago''' was a 19th century fortification of the United States Army located on a hill between the Fox (Fox River (Wisconsin)) and Wisconsin Rivers in Portage, Wisconsin. It formed part of a chain of fortifications along the Fox-Wisconsin Waterway that also included Fort Howard (Fort Howard (Wisconsin)) in Green Bay, Wisconsin and Fort Crawford in Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. Fort Winnebago was constructed in 1828 as part of an effort to maintain peace between white settlers and the region's Native American (Native Americans in the United States) tribes following the Winnebago War of 1827. The fort's location was chosen not only because of its proximity to the site of Red Bird's surrender in the Winnebago War, but also because of the strategic importance of Portage, Wisconsin, which, as the city's name implies, was the site of an important portage on the Fox-Wisconsin Waterway, a highly travelled connection between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River. Fort Winnebago's location near the portage allowed it to regulate transportation between the lakes and the Mississippi. In this treaty, the tribes agreed to land cession of three large tracts of land: two strips of land 20 miles wide each on either side of the boundary established by the first (1825) Treaty of Prairie du Chien (roughly from La Crosse, Wisconsin to Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin), extending from the Mississippi River to the Des Moines River in what today is southeastern Minnesota and northeastern Iowa; and a large triangular tract of land in southeastern Nebraska and northwestern Missouri, western Iowa and southern Minnesota, from Kansas City, Missouri due north to the Des Moines River, to the area about Spirit Lake, Iowa to Worthington, Minnesota, down Rock River (Rock River (Iowa)), down the Missouri River and back to Kansas City. Additional tribes later ceded the large triangular tract as the Platte Purchase in 1836. Construction This was to be the second US fort between St. Louis and Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin. The US wanted to establish a military presence to dissuade the French and English Canadians (who traded in areas nearby) from encroaching upon the unorganized territory. After its losses at several forts during the War of 1812, the US Army wanted to increase its presence on the Mississippi frontier. The fort also would serve to protect American settlers within the area and to help control or remove the Sauk, the American Indians (Indigenous peoples of the Americas) in the region. The Sauk disapproved of its construction; Black Hawk wrote in his memoir, "When we arrived we found that the troops had come to build a fort on Rock Island. This, in our opinion, was a contradiction to what we had done– 'to prepare for war in time of peace.' We did not object, however, to their building their fort on the island, but were very sorry."


online version

;ref name "TH article" Craig Reber, "Dozens Rescued by Boat in Bagley" Dubuque (Dubuque, Iowa) ''Telegraph Herald'', July 19, 2007, p. 1 (online version, registration required) The first white settlement at La Crosse occurred in 1841 when Nathan Myrick, a New York native, moved to the village at Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin to work in the fur trade. Myrick was disappointed to find that because


important building

thumb left His home in Mendota, Minnesota (Image:FaribaultHouse.jpg) During his residence at Little Rapids, in 1805, he was married to Elizabeth Pelagie Ainse, a half-Dakota daughter of Joseph-Louis Ainse, a British superintendent at Mackinac. In 1809, he settled in the small village of Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin, and commenced trading, on his own account, with the Indians of the Winnebago (Ho-Chunk), Fox, and Sioux tribes. In addition to that, he conducted an exchange of lead with Julien Dubuque, at the point now occupied by the city of that name. right 400px Map of Wisconsin showing area codes (Image:WI Area Codes (Display).png) The '''608 area code''' currently covers much of Southwest Wisconsin, including the capital (Capital (political)) city of Madison (Madison, Wisconsin) as well as the cities of Waunakee (Waunakee, Wisconsin), Mount Horeb (Mount Horeb, Wisconsin), Verona (Verona, Wisconsin), Sun Prairie (Sun Prairie, Wisconsin), Monroe (Monroe, Wisconsin), Platteville (Platteville, Wisconsin), Lancaster (Lancaster, Wisconsin), Portage (Portage, Wisconsin), Baraboo (Baraboo, Wisconsin), Wisconsin Dells (Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin), Beloit (Beloit, Wisconsin), Janesville (Janesville, Wisconsin), La Crosse (La Crosse, Wisconsin), Prairie du Chien (Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin), Prairie du Sac (Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin), Sauk City (Sauk City, Wisconsin), Viroqua (Viroqua, Wisconsin) and Sparta (Sparta, Wisconsin). It was created in 1955 as a split from area code 414, and was the third area code created in Wisconsin. Most of the force gathered at Prairie du Chien (Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin), where they were placed under the command of Emanuel Hesse, a former militia captain turned fur trader. The force numbered about two dozen fur traders and an estimated 750 to 1,000 Indians when it left Prairie du Chien on May 2. Primm, p. 40 The largest contingent of the force was about 200 Sioux warriors led by Wapasha (Wapasha I), with additional sizable companies from the Chippewa (Chippewa (tribe)), Menominee, and Winnebago (Ho-Chunk) nations, and smaller numbers of warriors from other nations. The Chippewa chief Matchekewis was given overall command of the native forces. When the force reached Rock Island (Rock Island, Illinois) they were joined by about 250 men from the Sac (Sac (tribe)) and Fox (Fox (tribe)) nations. These warriors were somewhat reluctant to attack St. Louis, but Hesse gave them large

Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin

'''Prairie du Chien''' is a city in and the county seat of Crawford County (Crawford County, Wisconsin), Wisconsin, United States. The population was 5,911 at the 2010 census. Its Zip Code is 53821. ZipInfo.com

Often referred to as Wisconsin's second oldest city, ''1929 Wisconsin Blue Book'' p. 629 http: digital.library.wisc.edu 1711.dl WI.WIBlueBk1929 ("Prairie du Chien second oldest settlement in Wisconsin") Prairie du Chien was established as a European settlement by French (French people) voyageurs in the late seventeenth century. The city is located near the confluence of the Wisconsin (Wisconsin River) and Mississippi Rivers, a strategic point along the Fox-Wisconsin Waterway that connects the Great Lakes with the Mississippi.

Early French visitors to the site found it occupied by a group of Fox Indians led by a chief (Tribal chief) whose name ''Alim'' meant ''Chien'' in French (French language) (Dog in English (English language)). The French explorers named the location ''Prairie du Chien'', French for "Dog's Prairie". The American anglicized pronunciation is "prairie doo sheen". This American Life: Both Marti, the interviewee who is a native of Prairie du Chien, as well as the interviewer, Ira Glass, pronounce it as "doo sheen" Originally this name applied only to the plain upon which the settlement is located, but it was later extended to mean the city as well. The city of Prairie du Chien is located between the Town of Prairie du Chien (Prairie du Chien (town), Wisconsin) and the Town of Bridgeport (Bridgeport, Wisconsin).

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017