Polotsk

What is Polotsk known for?


educational activities

. By then a steady stream of young men was coming to Russia to join the Society. Between 1803 and 1805, 103 candidates entered the novitiate of Polatsk, 23 among them being priests. The total number of Jesuits was 333, mostly engaged in educational activities (7 high schools in Russia only) but moving also into pastoral work in Latvia and Lithuania. It seemed clear that the suppression would eventually be undone. in 1812 Polatsk was upgraded by Tsar Alexander I into a university academy, allowing thus

. By then a steady stream of young men was coming to Russia to join the Society. Between 1803 and 1805, 103 candidates entered the novitiate of Polatsk, 23 among them being priests. The total number of Jesuits was 333, mostly engaged in educational activities (7 high schools in Russia only) but moving also into pastoral work in Latvia and Lithuania. It seemed clear that the suppression would eventually be undone. in 1812 Polatsk was upgraded by Tsar Alexander I into a university academy


years sports

). In September 2003, as "Days of Belarusian Literacy" were celebrated for the 10th time in Polotsk, city authorities dedicated a monument to honor the unique Cyrillic Belarusian letter Ў (Short U (Cyrillic)), which is not used in any other Slavic language. The original idea for the monument came from the Belarusian calligraphy professor Paval Siemchanka, who has been studying Cyrillic scripts for many years. Sports The city has produced players for the Belarusian national bandy


outspoken support

, was regarded as a traitor by his fellow Polish rebels for his outspoken support of Panslavism,and was eventually allowed to return to Russia, where he remained under house arrest until his death Polski Slownik Biograficzny . His sons Dmitri & Nikolai were educated as members of the Russian nobility & had distinguished military careers. Tomasz Bogumil Jan claimed a Rurikid descent (according to his claim, Mirskis were descendants of Sviatopolk I of Kiev, hence


book quot

krai'' there. In 1815 the city (then with 11,000 residents) returned to Austrian rule in accordance with the Congress of Vienna. In 1820 Jesuits (Society of Jesus) expelled from Polatsk (Polotsk) by Russians established a gymnasium (Gymnasium (school)) in the town. In 1870 a rail line (Rail transport) connected Ternopil with Lviv, accelerating the city's growth. At that time Ternopil had a population of about 25,000. * The second book, "On bishop Berthold" describes

events between 1196 and 1198: the arrival of the second bishop of Ikšķile Berthold of Hanover and his death in the battle with Livonians near what later became the town of Riga. * The third book, "On bishop Albert" describes events between 1198 and 1208: the arrival of third bishop of Ikšķile, Albert of Buxhoeveden, the foundation of the Christian knightly order of the Livonian Brothers of the Sword, the conquest and dividing of Livonian territories between

the Bishopric of Livonia and the Order, the wars with the Princes of Polotsk and Lithuanians, conquest of the Principality of Koknese and the country of Selonians. *The fourth book, "On Estonia" describes events between 1208 and 1226: the campaigns against Estonian counties, the conquest of the Principality of Jersika, the wars with Curonians, Semigallians, Lithuanians and Princes of Pskow and Novgorod. The region has a large population


century religious

Category:Populated places in Vitebsk Region Category:Vitebsk Governorate Category:Magdeburg Law Category:Trading posts of the Hanseatic League Literature Belarusian literature began with 11th- to 13th-century religious scripture, such as the 12th-century poetry of Cyril of Turaw. Wikipedia:Polotsk Commons:Category:Polatsk


defensive fighting

. The Order then controlled the town until its transference in 1238 to the bishops (Archbishopric of Riga) of Riga. The town became the summer residence of the Archbishop of Riga in 1420 and the primary residence in the 16th century. At the beginning of 1944, along with the rest of German forces on the Eastern front (Eastern Front (World War II)), the 20th Panzer Division spent a hard winter of defensive fighting in the Polotsk, Vitebsk, and Bobruisk (Babruysk) areas. In May, it was rushed to the southern sector of the front to participate in operations in the area around Cholm. Having suffered heavy losses during the Red Army's Operation Bagration, the division was sent to Romania for refitting in August 1944. In October, the division was sent to East Prussia, then Hungary in December. It then made a fighting withdrawal through Breslau, Schweinitz and Neisse in Silesia (now part of Poland). The division was transferred to Görlitz (east of Dresden on the German frontier with Poland). On 19 April 1945, the division was involved in a counteroffensive west of Görlitz in the direction of Niesky, but disengaged three days later and retreated west. It counterattacked again in the Bautzen area, succeeding in relieving the local garrison at heavy cost to Soviet forces. By 26 April 1945, the division was situated northwest of Dresden, however by 6 May it was forced to retreat south across the Czechoslovakian border. Some divisional elements surrendered to the Soviets near Teplice-Sanov (northwest of Prague), whilst the rest, including elements of ''Panzer-Aufklärungs-Abteilung 20.'' managed to surrender to the Americans at Rokycany, (between Prague and Plzeň); but they were soon handed over to the Soviets. 27 soldiers of the 20th Panzer Division were awarded the Knight's Cross. Born to a Jewish family in Polotsk, she immigrated to the Boston (Boston, Massachusetts) area with her mother and siblings in 1894, moving from Chelsea to Ward 8 in Boston's South End, a notorious slum, as the venue of her father's store changed. She married Amadeus William Grabau in 1901, and moved to New York City where she attended Teachers College (Teachers College, Columbia University) of Columbia University and Barnard College. Antin is best known for her 1912 autobiography ''The Promised Land (The Promised Land (autobiography))'', which describes her public school education and assimilation into American (United States) culture, as well as life for Jews in Czarist Russia. After its publication, Antin lectured on her immigrant experience to many audiences across the country, and became a major supporter for Theodore Roosevelt and his Progressive Party (Progressive Party (United States, 1912)). In late 1808, Dode de la Brunerie was sent to Spain. He participated in the sieges of Zaragoza and of Badajoz. He was then promoted to ''général de brigade'' and made head of the engineers staff of the ''Army of Spain (Army of Spain (France))''. Dode de la Brunerie served in battles near Almonacid and Ocana until he was recalled to France. In 1812, Dode de la Brunerie was made head of the engineers in the III Corps under Marshal Ney (Michel Ney). He successively fought under Marshals Oudinot (Nicolas Oudinot), Gouvion Saint-Cyr (Laurent, Marquis de Gouvion Saint-Cyr) and Victor (Claude Victor-Perrin, duc de Belluno) in Russia, where he fought at Polotsk and the crossing of the Beresina (Battle of Berezina). Early biography Viktor Kyrpychov graduated from the Polotsk military school (1862) and St.Michael artillery school in Saint Petersburg (1863). In 1863-1870 he was in the faculty of Kronstadt military academy where he taught material science and mechanics. In 1873 he was a postdoc student of Gustav Kirchhoff in Germany. After that, until his move to Ukraine in 1885, he was a professor at Saint Petersburg Technological Institute (Saint Petersburg State Institute of Technology). In 1882, he was responsible for investigation of the Borki train disaster. Nowadays The modern town is located on the right shore of the river Viliya, in northwest part of the Minsk region, 100 kilometers away from Minsk. The town’s population numbers 30,000 people. There is a railway station of the Molodechno-Polotsk line in the town. The roads to Maladzechna, Smarhoń, Myadzel, Dokshytsy, Pleshchanitsy run through the town. The town’s industry is represented by the Zenit plant, wood processing enterprises (including furniture factory), motor repair plant, building materials plants, light and food enterprises. Vileyka also houses the Museum of Regional Studies. #Polonnoye (JE Wikipedia:Polotsk Commons:Category:Polatsk


political position

Wikipedia:Polotsk Commons:Category:Polatsk


location early

in Laurentian Codex as being founded (as Borisov) in 1102 by Polotsk prince Boris Vseslavovich. During the next couple of centuries it was burned and then rebuilt slightly south of its original location. Early life Sviatopolk was the son of Iziaslav Iaroslavich (Iziaslav I of Kiev) by his wife Gertrude of Poland. W. Dworzaczek: ''Genealogia''. Warszawa 1959. K. Jasiński: ''Rodowód pierwszych Piastów''. Wrocław-Warszawa (1992). Sviatopolk's Christian


political development

was intensively used for the transfer of amber to the south of Europe. In the 10th century AD, the ancient Balts started to form specific tribal realms. Gradually, five individual Baltic tribal cultures developed: Curonians, Livonians (Livonian people), Latgalians, Selonians, Semigallians ( ). The largest of them was the Latgallian tribe, which was the most advanced in its socio-political development. The main Latgallian principality


important set

) or '''Magdeburg Law''' were a set of German town laws regulating the degree of internal autonomy within cities and villages granted by a local ruler. Modelled and named after the laws of the German city of Magdeburg and developed during many centuries of the Holy Roman Empire, it was possibly the most important set of Germanic mediæval (Middle Ages) city laws. Adopted by numerous monarchs in Central and Eastern Europe, the law was a milestone in urbanization of the region

Polotsk

'''Polotsk''' ('''Polatsk''', ) Occidental spelling according to the Belarus Permanent Mission to the United Nations. Occidental spelling according to the official Belarus website. Occidental spelling according to "Nations Online" website. Spelling according to Google Maps. is a historical city in Belarus, situated on the Dvina (Western Dvina) River. It is the center of the Polatsk Raion in Vitsebsk Voblast. Its population is more than 80,000 people. polotskgik.by - City It is served by Polotsk Airport and during the Cold War was home to Borovitsy air base.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017