Pointe-Saint-Charles

What is Pointe-Saint-Charles known for?


singing career

a job while trying to develop her singing career. He contacted her and offered to cover her expenses for three years so she could train professionally — on the condition she never reveal his name. A patron of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, in the early 1960s when the Orchestra was preparing to move to new facilities at Place des Arts, McConnell purchased a 1727 Stradivarius violin for concertmaster and violinist Calvin Sieb. Playing career Born in Saint-Vallier, Quebec


publishing

Bizard : a compilation of the most recent cadastral plans from the book of reference.'' Atlas Publishing Co. Ltd: 1907. Pp. 22. Available online from Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec

: www.complexedompark.com Complexe Dompark ) & Simmons Bedding Company (4710 St-Ambroise, now Complexe Canal Lachine) into prestigious loft buildings. Complexe Dompark recently celebrated its 100th anniversary and now houses more than 90 multimedia, fashion, publishing, and service industry-based companies in custom designed lofts. The area around the Atwater Market has become one of Montreal's most desirable residential areas for condo owners. Much

and city of Montreal and Ile Bizard : a compilation of the most recent cadastral plans from the book of reference.'' Atlas Publishing Co. Ltd: 1907. Pp. 22. Available online from Bibliothèque et


simple amp

;lignes 25&type_requete simple&id 1176 "Fiche du secteur: Maison Saint-Gabriel." Grand répertoire du patrimoine bâti de Montréal. Accessed 5 July 2011. thumb right Victoria Bridge (Montreal) Victoria Bridge (File:Pont victoria montréal.jpg) over St. Lawrence River Until the mid-19th century, the area was chiefly agricultural. Urbanization began with the enlargement of the Lachine Canal (completed in 1848), as the transportation access and water power attracted

?affichage fiche&civique &voie 0&est_ouest &appellation &arrondissement 9&protection 0&batiment oui&zone oui&lignes 25&type_requete simple&id 1172 "Fiche du secteur: Églises Saint-Gabriel et Saint-Charles (rue du Centre)." Grand répertoire du patrimoine bâti de Montréal. Accessed 5 July 2011. The Polish Community was given permission by the Archdiocese of Montreal to build a church on Centre Street between Richmond and Montmorency

first industrial slums. Notably, the development on Grand Trunk Row (today Rue Sébastopol) introduced the stacked "duplex," based on British working-class housing, that would come to be so typical of neighbourhoods throughout Montreal. simple&id


474

Category:Populated places on the Saint Lawrence River Occupation of Montreal begins Montgomery then led his troops north and occupied Saint Paul's Island (Nuns' Island) in the Saint Lawrence River on November 8, crossing to Pointe-Saint-Charles on the following day, where he was greeted as a liberator. Smith (1907), vol 1 (#SmithFourteen), p. 474 Montreal fell without any significant fighting on November 13, as Carleton, deciding


track

revitalizing a chocolate factory and the surrounding block. Interchange with standard gauge railroads became a problem during the 1860s. Grand Trunk equipped approximately one thousand freight cars with experimental "sliding-wheels" in 1863 at company shops in Sarnia, Ontario, and Pointe-Saint-Charles in Montreal. Gauge could be adjusted by removing and inserting axle pins on special tapered-gauge track segments at interchange points. Safety problems were reported despite

Articles Article2003_1.html quote The scheme selected was patented by C.D. Tisdale of East Boston, Massachusetts, with the first patent having been issued in March 1863. Special wheels with extra-large hubs were fitted with key wedges. The axles were notched so that the wheels could be set at standard or 5 -foot 6-inch gauge. The keys were locked in place by a long safety pin and giant rubber bands. The position of the wheel was shifted by a gradually diverging or converging track. In the shift from

broad to standard, the keys would be loosened and removed at one end of the tapering track, workmen in a 4-foot-deep pit removed the keys from below the train. A long shed was built over the pits to protect the workmen. With the keys out, the train was slowly pushed down the track, and the wheels-would be forced inward as the train moved along the converging rails. Once at the end, the workers would reinsert and lock the wedges and the train could go on its way. The change could be done in five


water power

Category:Neighbourhoods in Montreal Category:Irish diaspora in Quebec Category:Le Sud-Ouest Category:Populated places on the Saint Lawrence River Occupation of Montreal begins Montgomery then led his troops north and occupied Saint Paul's Island (Nuns' Island) in the Saint Lawrence River on November 8, crossing to Pointe-Saint-Charles on the following day, where he was greeted as a liberator. Smith (1907), vol 1 (#SmithFourteen), p. 474 Montreal fell without any significant fighting on November 13, as Carleton, deciding that the city was indefensible (and having suffered significant militia desertion upon the news of the fall of St. Johns), withdrew. He barely escaped capture, as some Americans had crossed the river downstream of the city, and winds prevented his fleet from departing right away. When his fleet neared Sorel (Sorel, Quebec), it was approached by a boat carrying a truce flag. The boat carried a demand for surrender, claiming that gun batteries downstream would otherwise destroy the convoy. Based on uncertain knowledge of how real these batteries were, Carleton elected to sneak off the ship, after ordering the dumping of powder and ammunition if surrender was deemed necessary. (There were batteries in place, but not nearly as powerful as those claimed.) Stanley (#Stanley), pp. 67–70 On November 19, the British fleet surrendered; Carleton, disguised as a common man, Smith (1907), vol 1 (#SmithFourteen), pp. 487–490 made his way to Quebec City. The captured ships included prisoners that the British had taken; among these was Moses Hazen, a Massachusetts-born expatriate with property near Fort St. Johns whose poor treatment by the British turned him against them. Hazen, who had combat experience in the French and Indian War and went on to lead the 2nd Canadian Regiment throughout the war, joined Montgomery's army. Everest (#Everest), pp. 31–33 Over the last two decades, the canal has seen a large increase in residential and commercial development. In what was originally a very heavy industrial neighbourhood, Pointe-Saint-Charles and Saint-Henri have become very up and coming districts. House values have sky rocketed and many real estate developers have turned the century old industrial factories and warehouses, like that of Dominion Textiles (5524 Saint-Patrick, now Complexe Dompark) & Simmons Bedding Company (4710 St-Ambroise, now Complexe Canal Lachine) into prestigious loft buildings. Complexe Dompark recently celebrated its 100th anniversary and now houses more than 90 multimedia, fashion, publishing, and service industry-based companies in custom designed lofts. The area around the Atwater Market has become one of Montreal's most desirable residential areas for condo owners. Much of this is thanks to the continued effort to clean up the Canal. Geography The district includes the Borough of Verdun (Verdun, Quebec), along with the neighbourhoods of Saint-Henri, Little Burgundy, and Pointe-Saint-Charles and the eastern part of Côte-Saint-Paul, in the Southwest borough. It was named for Jeanne Le Ber, a religious recluse and craftswoman who lived in Pointe-Saint-Charles in the 18th century. The Irish would go on to settle permanently in the close-knit working-class neighbourhoods of Pointe-Saint-Charles, Griffintown and Goose Village, Montreal. With the help of Quebec's Catholic Church, they would establish their own churches, schools, and hospitals. St. Patrick's Basilica (St. Patrick's Basilica, Montreal) was founded in 1847 and served Montreal's English-speaking Catholics (English-speaking Quebecer) for over a century. Loyola College (Loyola College (Montreal)) was founded by the Jesuits to serve Montreal's mostly Irish English-speaking Catholic community in 1896. Saint Mary's Hospital was founded in the 1920s and continues to serve Montreal's present-day English-speaking population (English-speaking Quebecer). The St. Patrick's Day Parade in Montreal is one of the oldest in North America, dating back to 1824. It annually attracts crowds of over 600,000


experimental quot

revitalizing a chocolate factory and the surrounding block. Interchange with standard gauge railroads became a problem during the 1860s. Grand Trunk equipped approximately one thousand freight cars with experimental "sliding-wheels" in 1863 at company shops in Sarnia, Ontario, and Pointe-Saint-Charles in Montreal. Gauge could be adjusted by removing and inserting axle pins on special tapered-gauge track segments at interchange points. Safety problems were reported despite


line passing

century, Pointe-Saint-Charles was made up of two city wards: St. Gabriel, to the west, and St. Ann, to the east, which also included Griffintown and extended as far as McGill Street in what is now Old Montreal. The two were divided by the former city limit line, passing from the basin on the Lachine Canal just west of the St. Gabriel Locks to the riverbank just south of what is now the end of Ash Avenue. Pinsoneault, Adolphe Rodrigue. ''Atlas of the island and city of Montreal and Île Bizard : a compilation of the most recent cadastral plans from the book of reference.'' Atlas Publishing Co. Ltd: 1907. Pp. 22. Available online from Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec. Accessed July 5, 2011. Like the rest of the area around the Lachine Canal, the neighbourhood went into a long decline in the 1960s, caused by the opening of the St. Lawrence Seaway and sealed by the closure of the Lachine Canal. The destruction of Goose Village and the construction of the Bonaventure Autoroute further impacted the area. Still, the neighbourhood reacted to the difficult times by forming bands of social solidarity. For example, the Clinique communautaire de Pointe-Saint-Charles was founded in 1968 to offer health and social services to local residents; it inspired the CLSC model used throughout the province, while remaining an independent clinic with the mandate of a CLSC. "History - A bit of background." Clinique communautaire de Pointe-Saint-Charles. Accessed July 5, 2011. Several social housing developments were built in the 1970s; today, some 40% of the housing stock in Pointe-Saint-Charles is social housing. http: www.railways.incanada.net Articles Article2003_1.html


poor treatment

(1907), vol 1 , pp. 487–490 made his way to Quebec City. The captured ships included prisoners that the British had taken; among these was Moses Hazen, a Massachusetts-born expatriate with property near Fort St. Johns whose poor treatment by the British turned him against them. Hazen, who had combat experience in the French and Indian War and went on to lead the 2nd Canadian Regiment throughout the war, joined Montgomery's army. Everest (#Everest), pp. 31–33 Over the last two decades, the canal has seen a large increase in residential and commercial development. In what was originally a very heavy industrial neighbourhood, Pointe-Saint-Charles and Saint-Henri have become very up and coming districts. House values have sky rocketed and many real estate developers have turned the century old industrial factories and warehouses, like that of Dominion Textiles (5524 Saint-Patrick, now Complexe Dompark) & Simmons Bedding Company (4710 St-Ambroise, now Complexe Canal Lachine) into prestigious loft buildings. Complexe Dompark recently celebrated its 100th anniversary and now houses more than 90 multimedia, fashion, publishing, and service industry-based companies in custom designed lofts. The area around the Atwater Market has become one of Montreal's most desirable residential areas for condo owners. Much of this is thanks to the continued effort to clean up the Canal. Geography The district includes the Borough of Verdun (Verdun, Quebec), along with the neighbourhoods of Saint-Henri, Little Burgundy, and Pointe-Saint-Charles and the eastern part of Côte-Saint-Paul, in the Southwest borough. It was named for Jeanne Le Ber, a religious recluse and craftswoman who lived in Pointe-Saint-Charles in the 18th century. The Irish would go on to settle permanently in the close-knit working-class neighbourhoods of Pointe-Saint-Charles, Griffintown and Goose Village, Montreal. With the help of Quebec's Catholic Church, they would establish their own churches, schools, and hospitals. St. Patrick's Basilica (St. Patrick's Basilica, Montreal) was founded in 1847 and served Montreal's English-speaking Catholics (English-speaking Quebecer) for over a century. Loyola College (Loyola College (Montreal)) was founded by the Jesuits to serve Montreal's mostly Irish English-speaking Catholic community in 1896. Saint Mary's Hospital was founded in the 1920s and continues to serve Montreal's present-day English-speaking population (English-speaking Quebecer). The St. Patrick's Day Parade in Montreal is one of the oldest in North America, dating back to 1824. It annually attracts crowds of over 600,000 people. Location and description The borough of Verdun is located in the southeastern part of the Island of Montreal and also includes Nuns' Island (île des Sœurs). The part on the Island of Montreal is bounded to the southwest by LaSalle (LaSalle, Quebec), to the northwest by the borough of Le Sud-Ouest (Ville-Émard and Côte-Saint-Paul) and the Canal de l'Aqueduc), to the northeast by the Pointe-Saint-Charles (Le Sud-Ouest) and the Décarie Autoroute (Aut. 15) (Quebec Autoroute 15), and to the southeast by the St. Lawrence River. left 150px thumb Father Patrick Dowd, pastor of Saint Patrick's Church, Montreal (Image:Patrick Dowd.jpg) The Irish would go on to settle permanently in the close-knit working-class neighbourhoods of Pointe-Saint-Charles and Griffintown. The Irish would fight fiercely to preserve a distinct identity from both Quebec Protestants and French Canadian Catholic populations With the help of Quebec's Irish Catholic Church led by priests such as Father Patrick Dowd, they would establish their own churches, schools, and hospitals. St. Patrick's Basilica, Montreal St. Patrick's Basilica was founded in 1847 and served Montreal's English-speaking Catholics (English-speaking Quebecer) for over a century. Loyola College (Montreal) was founded by the Jesuits to serve Montreal's mostly Irish English-speaking Catholic community in 1896. Saint Mary's Hospital was founded in the 1920s and continues to serve Montreal's present-day English-speaking population (English-speaking Quebecer). One can identify Griffintown as the portion of the ward of St. Ann located north of the Lachine Canal; the part south of the canal is now part of Pointe-Saint-Charles. This part of the ward was delimited by Notre-Dame Street to the North, McGill Street (McGill Street (Montreal)) to the east, and a short segment of the city limit between Notre-Dame Street and the canal west of the St. Gabriel Locks to the west. Pinsoneault, Adolphe Rodrigue. ''Atlas of the island and city of Montreal and Ile Bizard : a compilation of the most recent cadastral plans from the book of reference.'' Atlas Publishing Co. Ltd: 1907. Pp. 22. Available online from Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec. Accessed July 5, 2011. It was the earliest and largest faubourg annexed to Old Montreal before the introduction of the tram car in the 1840s. Today, this area is part of the borough (Montreal borough) of Le Sud-Ouest. It spans theoretically from the neighbourhood of Point St. Charles (Pointe-Saint-Charles) to the Old Port (Old Port of Montreal), and north to Notre-Dame Street. Currently, it holds the stables (the Griffintown Horse Palace, at the corner of Ottawa and Eleanor) for the horses that provide tours in carriages (calèche) around the Old Port. Many technological companies built office space in the area, and École de Technologie Supérieure (ÉTS) built its residence there. Very few residents still live in the area, and very little of the original architecture remains, however. Because of its location, some residential projects are taking shape, including Lowney Lofts, a multi-phase condominium project revitalizing a chocolate factory and the surrounding block. Interchange with standard gauge railroads became a problem during the 1860s. Grand Trunk equipped approximately one thousand freight cars with experimental "sliding-wheels" in 1863 at company shops in Sarnia, Ontario, and Pointe-Saint-Charles in Montreal. Gauge could be adjusted by removing and inserting axle pins on special tapered-gauge track segments at interchange points. Safety problems were reported despite high maintenance costs. All lines west of Montreal were converted to standard gauge on October 3 and 4, 1873. Grand Trunk purchased 200 standard gauge locomotives (including 62 from Portland Company) and converted 135 old locomotives. Ten-thousand standard gauge bogies were purchased for conversion of freight cars. The railway from Portland to Montreal was standard-gauged in September, 1874. '''Charlevoix''' is a station (metro station) on the Green Line (Line 1 Green (Montreal Metro)) of the Montreal Metro rapid transit system (Rapid transit) operated by the Société de transport de Montréal (STM). It is located in the district of Pointe-Saint-Charles in the borough of Le Sud-Ouest in Montreal, Quebec, Canada Charlevoix Station .The station opened on September 3, 1978, as part of the extension of the Green Line westward to Angrignon (Angrignon (Montreal Metro)). In the 1950s, J.W. McConnell provided the money to build a boys and girls club in Montreal's predominantly French speaking (French language) East End and in the English speaking (English language) suburb of Pointe-Saint-Charles, one of the poorest sections of the city of Montreal. McConnell's benevolent works extended to individuals such as Maureen Forrester who recounted in her biography how he had learned of the difficulty she was experiencing, holding down a job while trying to develop her singing career. He contacted her and offered to cover her expenses for three years so she could train professionally — on the condition she never reveal his name. A patron of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, in the early 1960s when the Orchestra was preparing to move to new facilities at Place des Arts, McConnell purchased a 1727 Stradivarius violin for concertmaster and violinist Calvin Sieb. Playing career Born in Saint-Vallier (Saint-Vallier, Quebec), Quebec, south-east of Quebec City, Marshall moved to Montreal and played high school hockey for Pointe-Saint-Charles, starting in 1894. In 1898, he made the jump to senior level play when he moved out west and started play with the Winnipeg Victorias. He played with the Victorias until 1901, winning the Stanley Cup in a challenge (1901 CAHL season#Stanley Cup Challenges) with Montreal Shamrocks. Though she always devoted the majority of her efforts to helping the more needy members of society, she also established a boarding school at Ville-Marie so that higher class-girls did not need to venture all the way to Quebec for their education. She went on to establish a school devoted to needle-work and other practical occupations for women in Pointe-Saint-Charles. Other smaller schools were also established and run by other members of the Congregation in places such as Lachine (Lachine, Quebec), Pointe-aux-Trembles (Pointe-aux-Trembles, Quebec), Batiscan (Batiscan, Quebec) and Champlain (Champlain, Quebec). In 1678, Marguerite also expanded into Native societies, setting up a small school in the Iroquois village of "la Montagne" (Montreal). "Marguerite Bourgeoys", Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online. In 1996, the Connecticut Department of Transportation purchased six GP40-2 freight locomotives from CSX Transportation to replace its existing fleet of leased locomotives for use in Shore Line East service, and sent them out for rebuilding and conversion to passenger locomotives. The rebuilt locomotives were given the GP40-2H designation, and were completed by AMF Technotransport in Pointe-Saint-Charles, an area of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Canada Variable gauge axles were used for a while on the Grand Trunk Railway in the 1860s in Canada (Rail gauge#Canada) to connect http: www.railways.incanada.net Articles Article2003_1.html


industry based

: www.complexedompark.com Complexe Dompark ) & Simmons Bedding Company (4710 St-Ambroise, now Complexe Canal Lachine) into prestigious loft buildings. Complexe Dompark recently celebrated its 100th anniversary and now houses more than 90 multimedia, fashion, publishing, and service industry-based companies in custom designed lofts. The area around the Atwater Market has become one of Montreal's most desirable residential areas for condo owners. Much of this is thanks to the continued effort to clean up the Canal. Geography The district includes the Borough of Verdun (Verdun, Quebec), along with the neighbourhoods of Saint-Henri, Little Burgundy, and Pointe-Saint-Charles and the eastern part of Côte-Saint-Paul, in the Southwest borough. It was named for Jeanne Le Ber, a religious recluse and craftswoman who lived in Pointe-Saint-Charles in the 18th century. The Irish would go on to settle permanently in the close-knit working-class neighbourhoods of Pointe-Saint-Charles, Griffintown and Goose Village, Montreal. With the help of Quebec's Catholic Church, they would establish their own churches, schools, and hospitals. St. Patrick's Basilica (St. Patrick's Basilica, Montreal) was founded in 1847 and served Montreal's English-speaking Catholics (English-speaking Quebecer) for over a century. Loyola College (Loyola College (Montreal)) was founded by the Jesuits to serve Montreal's mostly Irish English-speaking Catholic community in 1896. Saint Mary's Hospital was founded in the 1920s and continues to serve Montreal's present-day English-speaking population (English-speaking Quebecer). The St. Patrick's Day Parade in Montreal is one of the oldest in North America, dating back to 1824. It annually attracts crowds of over 600,000 people. Location and description The borough of Verdun is located in the southeastern part of the Island of Montreal and also includes Nuns' Island (île des Sœurs). The part on the Island of Montreal is bounded to the southwest by LaSalle (LaSalle, Quebec), to the northwest by the borough of Le Sud-Ouest (Ville-Émard and Côte-Saint-Paul) and the Canal de l'Aqueduc), to the northeast by the Pointe-Saint-Charles (Le Sud-Ouest) and the Décarie Autoroute (Aut. 15) (Quebec Autoroute 15), and to the southeast by the St. Lawrence River. left 150px thumb Father Patrick Dowd, pastor of Saint Patrick's Church, Montreal (Image:Patrick Dowd.jpg) The Irish would go on to settle permanently in the close-knit working-class neighbourhoods of Pointe-Saint-Charles and Griffintown. The Irish would fight fiercely to preserve a distinct identity from both Quebec Protestants and French Canadian Catholic populations With the help of Quebec's Irish Catholic Church led by priests such as Father Patrick Dowd, they would establish their own churches, schools, and hospitals. St. Patrick's Basilica, Montreal St. Patrick's Basilica was founded in 1847 and served Montreal's English-speaking Catholics (English-speaking Quebecer) for over a century. Loyola College (Montreal) was founded by the Jesuits to serve Montreal's mostly Irish English-speaking Catholic community in 1896. Saint Mary's Hospital was founded in the 1920s and continues to serve Montreal's present-day English-speaking population (English-speaking Quebecer). One can identify Griffintown as the portion of the ward of St. Ann located north of the Lachine Canal; the part south of the canal is now part of Pointe-Saint-Charles. This part of the ward was delimited by Notre-Dame Street to the North, McGill Street (McGill Street (Montreal)) to the east, and a short segment of the city limit between Notre-Dame Street and the canal west of the St. Gabriel Locks to the west. Pinsoneault, Adolphe Rodrigue. ''Atlas of the island and city of Montreal and Ile Bizard : a compilation of the most recent cadastral plans from the book of reference.'' Atlas Publishing Co. Ltd: 1907. Pp. 22. Available online from Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec. Accessed July 5, 2011. It was the earliest and largest faubourg annexed to Old Montreal before the introduction of the tram car in the 1840s. Today, this area is part of the borough (Montreal borough) of Le Sud-Ouest. It spans theoretically from the neighbourhood of Point St. Charles (Pointe-Saint-Charles) to the Old Port (Old Port of Montreal), and north to Notre-Dame Street. Currently, it holds the stables (the Griffintown Horse Palace, at the corner of Ottawa and Eleanor) for the horses that provide tours in carriages (calèche) around the Old Port. Many technological companies built office space in the area, and École de Technologie Supérieure (ÉTS) built its residence there. Very few residents still live in the area, and very little of the original architecture remains, however. Because of its location, some residential projects are taking shape, including Lowney Lofts, a multi-phase condominium project revitalizing a chocolate factory and the surrounding block. Interchange with standard gauge railroads became a problem during the 1860s. Grand Trunk equipped approximately one thousand freight cars with experimental "sliding-wheels" in 1863 at company shops in Sarnia, Ontario, and Pointe-Saint-Charles in Montreal. Gauge could be adjusted by removing and inserting axle pins on special tapered-gauge track segments at interchange points. Safety problems were reported despite high maintenance costs. All lines west of Montreal were converted to standard gauge on October 3 and 4, 1873. Grand Trunk purchased 200 standard gauge locomotives (including 62 from Portland Company) and converted 135 old locomotives. Ten-thousand standard gauge bogies were purchased for conversion of freight cars. The railway from Portland to Montreal was standard-gauged in September, 1874. '''Charlevoix''' is a station (metro station) on the Green Line (Line 1 Green (Montreal Metro)) of the Montreal Metro rapid transit system (Rapid transit) operated by the Société de transport de Montréal (STM). It is located in the district of Pointe-Saint-Charles in the borough of Le Sud-Ouest in Montreal, Quebec, Canada Charlevoix Station .The station opened on September 3, 1978, as part of the extension of the Green Line westward to Angrignon (Angrignon (Montreal Metro)). In the 1950s, J.W. McConnell provided the money to build a boys and girls club in Montreal's predominantly French speaking (French language) East End and in the English speaking (English language) suburb of Pointe-Saint-Charles, one of the poorest sections of the city of Montreal. McConnell's benevolent works extended to individuals such as Maureen Forrester who recounted in her biography how he had learned of the difficulty she was experiencing, holding down a job while trying to develop her singing career. He contacted her and offered to cover her expenses for three years so she could train professionally — on the condition she never reveal his name. A patron of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, in the early 1960s when the Orchestra was preparing to move to new facilities at Place des Arts, McConnell purchased a 1727 Stradivarius violin for concertmaster and violinist Calvin Sieb. Playing career Born in Saint-Vallier (Saint-Vallier, Quebec), Quebec, south-east of Quebec City, Marshall moved to Montreal and played high school hockey for Pointe-Saint-Charles, starting in 1894. In 1898, he made the jump to senior level play when he moved out west and started play with the Winnipeg Victorias. He played with the Victorias until 1901, winning the Stanley Cup in a challenge (1901 CAHL season#Stanley Cup Challenges) with Montreal Shamrocks. Though she always devoted the majority of her efforts to helping the more needy members of society, she also established a boarding school at Ville-Marie so that higher class-girls did not need to venture all the way to Quebec for their education. She went on to establish a school devoted to needle-work and other practical occupations for women in Pointe-Saint-Charles. Other smaller schools were also established and run by other members of the Congregation in places such as Lachine (Lachine, Quebec), Pointe-aux-Trembles (Pointe-aux-Trembles, Quebec), Batiscan (Batiscan, Quebec) and Champlain (Champlain, Quebec). In 1678, Marguerite also expanded into Native societies, setting up a small school in the Iroquois village of "la Montagne" (Montreal). "Marguerite Bourgeoys", Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online. In 1996, the Connecticut Department of Transportation purchased six GP40-2 freight locomotives from CSX Transportation to replace its existing fleet of leased locomotives for use in Shore Line East service, and sent them out for rebuilding and conversion to passenger locomotives. The rebuilt locomotives were given the GP40-2H designation, and were completed by AMF Technotransport in Pointe-Saint-Charles, an area of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Canada Variable gauge axles were used for a while on the Grand Trunk Railway in the 1860s in Canada (Rail gauge#Canada) to connect http: www.railways.incanada.net Articles Article2003_1.html

Pointe-Saint-Charles

'''Pointe-Saint-Charles''' (also known locally as simply '''The Point''') is a neighbourhood in the borough (Montreal borough) of Le Sud-Ouest in the city of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It is a hard working class neighbourhood. Although the neighbourhood is known for having issues related to crime and poverty, the creation of many new housing units, the recycling of industrial buildings into business incubators, lofts, and condos, the 2002 re-opening of the canal as a recreation and tourism area, the improvement of public spaces, and heritage enhancement have all helped transform the neighbourhood and attract new residents. Community groups continue to be pro-active in areas related to the fight against poverty and the improvement of living conditions. "Neighborhood Pointe-Saint-Charles." Héritage Montreal. Accessed 16 November 2014.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017