Norfolk Island

What is Norfolk Island known for?


weekly quot

Duffy's Charcoal Grill''' bills itself as "Norfolk's Best Steakhouse". While the competition for this title is not particularly strong, the steaks are of a very high standard indeed. Fare here is of the steakhouse variety, with various fish dishes available as well. The restaurant is named for the famous convict Barney Duffy and plays up on this link * '''Seaworld''' is Norfolk's fish restaurant and can be relied upon to serve good-quality fish dishes. There is a weekly "fish fry"


natural life'

, Manning , ''A History of Australia'', Vols. I–III, Melbourne, Melbourne University Press, 1962, 1968, 1973. * Clarke, Marcus (Marcus Clarke), ''For the Term of his Natural Life'' (novel). * Hazzard, Margaret (Margaret Hazzard), ''Punishment Short of Death: a history of the penal settlement at Norfolk Island'', Melbourne, Hyland, 1984. (ISBN 0-908090-64-1). * Hughes, Robert (Robert Studley Forrest Hughes), ''The Fatal Shore'', London, Pan, 1988. (ISBN 0-330-29892-5). * Reg


online world

as agricultural pests. The birds have also suffered from the introduction of mammals such as rats, cats, pigs and goats, as well as from introduced competitors such as Common Blackbirds and Crimson Rosellas. BirdLife International (2003). BirdLife's online World Bird Database: the site for bird conservation. Version 2.0. Cambridge, UK: BirdLife International. Available: (accessed 7 4 2009) Extinctions


run set

'' and the ''Masters of Rome'' series as well as ''Morgan's Run'', set, in large part, on Norfolk Island. Helen Reddy also moved to the island for a period, and still maintains a house there. American novelist James A. Michener, who served in the United States Navy during World War II, set one of the chapters of his episodic novel ''Tales of the South Pacific'' on Norfolk Island. The island is one of the few locations outside North America to celebrate the holiday


related species

of Norfolk Island flag . Native to the island, the pine is a key export industry for Norfolk Island, being a popular ornamental tree on mainland Australia, where two related species grow, and also worldwide. History WikiPedia:Norfolk Island Dmoz:Regional Oceania Norfolk Island


quot treatment

Island . Residents with a Medicare card can receive subsidised treatment from medical practitioners who have been issued a Medicare provider number, and fully subsidised ("free") treatment in public hospitals. Visitors from countries which have reciprocal arrangements with Australia have limited access to Medicare, as detailed below. The Australian Government has signed Reciprocal Health Care Agreements (RHCA) with the governments of the United Kingdom, Sweden


history association

Solomon Islands and west to Indonesia becoming uncommon to very sparse as west as Sumatra. Birds move south again to Australia in August to September. It has also occurred as a vagrant on Christmas Island (in the Indian Ocean), Malaysia


studies show

'') is a parrot native to eastern and south eastern Australia which has been introduced to New Zealand and Norfolk Island. It is commonly found in, but not restricted to, mountain forests and gardens. The species as it now stands has subsumed two former separate species, the '''Yellow Rosella''' and the '''Adelaide Rosella'''. Molecular studies show one of the three red-coloured races, var. ''nigrescens'' is genetically more distinct. They are year-round residents. Although this bird coexists well at the edges of urban areas, it is declining in some areas as human populations increase. They were originally found mainly in the southwestern United States but they have been introduced into other areas including British Columbia, Hawaii, Chile, New Zealand, and to Norfolk Island and King Island (King Island (Tasmania)) in Australia. These birds forage on the ground, often scratching at the soil. They can sometimes be seen feeding at the sides of roads. Their diet consists mainly of seeds and leaves, but they also eat some berries and insects; for example, Toyon berries are a common food source. C.M. Hogan, 2008) If startled, these birds explode into short rapid flight, called "flushing". Given a choice, they will normally make their escape on foot. Chief Minister of Norfolk Island Gardner was the chief minister of Norfolk Island from 5 December 2001 to 2 June 2006. He was succeeded in that post by David Buffett. The New Zealand Pigeon belongs to the family Columbidae, and the subfamily Treroninae, which is found throughout Southeast Asia, Malaya (Malay Peninsula), Africa and New Zealand. The members of this subfamily feed largely on fruits, mainly drupes. Falla, R. A., R. B. Sibson, and E. G. Turbott (1979). The new guide to the birds of New Zealand and outlying islands. Collins, Auckland. New Zealand Pigeons are members of the pigeon (dove) genus ''Hemiphaga'' (Bonaparte (Charles Lucien Bonaparte), 1854), which is endemic to the New Zealand archipelago and Norfolk Island. However recently a ''Hemiphaga'' bone was found on Raoul Island. Worthy, T. H., and R. Brassey. (2000). New Zealand pigeon (''Hemiphaga novaeseelandiae'') on Raoul Island, Kermadec Group. ''Notornis'' '''47''' (1): 36–38 The Parea or Chatham Island Pigeon (''Hemiphaga chathamensis'') is traditionally considered a subspecies of the Kererū, but is here treated as a separate species. Taxonomy As generally accepted, there are three subspecies of New Zealand Pigeon; of these, only two survive: ''H. n. novaseelandiae'' of mainland New Zealand and ''H. n. chathamensis'' of the Chatham Islands. The other subspecies, Norfolk Pigeon (''H. n. spadicea'') of Norfolk Island, is now extinct (extinction). The subspecies differ in their plumage colour and physical morphology. Settlers started to arrive in 1807 as farmers were moved from Norfolk Island to Van Diemen's Land (the original name used by Europeans for Tasmania). Governor Macquarie (Lachlan Macquarie) granted land rights to the settlers, who originally called the area ''Norfolk Plains''. The town, originally called Latour, grew up around the Longford Hotel which was built in 1827 by Newman Williatt, and in 1833 the town was renamed Longford. Convict labour was free and settlers used this to build some fine houses and estates. Resettlement of Norfolk Islanders The town's pioneers were many of the 554 folk resettled from Norfolk Island during the period of 29 November 1807 to 2 October 1808. New Norfolk History 1986 ISBN 1 86252 303 Lt. Governor David Collins (David Collins (governor)) selected the site as a separate crop production area in the fertile valley, as the Norfolk Islanders were mainly farming families, who were offered extra acres in Tasmania as an incentive to relocate. The climate was colder than sub-tropical Norfolk Island, which proved a challenge for the hardy pioneers during the first few years, but eventually the district became self-supporting. Penal colonies in Australia Especially harsh floggings were given with it in secondary penal colonies (penal colony) of early colonial Australia, particularly at such places as Norfolk Island (apparently this has 9 leather thongs, each with a lead weight, meant as the ultimate deterrent for hardened life-convicts), Port Arthur (Port Arthur, Tasmania) and Moreton Bay (now Brisbane). WikiPedia:Norfolk Island Dmoz:Regional Oceania Norfolk Island


species

of Norfolk Island flag . Native to the island, the pine is a key export industry for Norfolk Island, being a popular ornamental tree on mainland Australia, where two related species grow, and also worldwide. History Early history Norfolk Island was first settled by East Polynesian seafarers either from the Kermadec Islands north of New Zealand or from the North Island of New Zealand. They arrived in the fourteenth or fifteenth century

18 of the endemic species are rare or threatened. Norfolk Island subtropical forests - Encyclopedia of Earth The Norfolk Island Palm (''Rhopalostylis baueri'') and the Smooth Tree-fern (''Cyathea brownii''), the tallest tree-fern in the world, are common in the Norfolk Island National Park but rare elsewhere on the island. Before European

was declared as the Norfolk Island National Park in 1986. This forest has been infested with several introduced plants (Introduced species). The cliffs and steep slopes of Mount Pitt supported a community of shrubs, herbaceous plants, and climbers. A few tracts of cliff top and seashore vegetation have been preserved. The rest of the island has been cleared for pasture and housing. Grazing and introduced weeds currently threaten the native flora


people set

in the world, after Corsica (Corsican Republic) under Pascal Paoli in 1755, to give women the right to vote. By the mid 1850s the Pitcairn community was outgrowing the island and they appealed to Queen Victoria (Victoria of the United Kingdom) for help. Queen Victoria offered them Norfolk Island and on 3 May 1856, the entire community of 193 people set sail for Norfolk Island on board the Morayshire. They arrived on 8 June after a miserable 5 week trip. However, after 18 months, 17 returned to Pitcairn and 5 years later another 27 returned. While the island was uninhabited, several ships visited the island and vandalised John Adams's grave. The island was also nearly annexed by France, whose government did not realize that the island had just been inhabited. George Nobbs and John Buffett stayed on Norfolk Island. By this time, the American Warren family had also settled on Pitcairn Island. During the 1860s, further immigration to the island was banned. In 1886, most of the island left the church of England and converted to the Seventh-day Adventist Church after receiving literature from that religious group. Missionaries arrived on the island a few years later, and the conversion of an entire community became a great propaganda boost for the religion. Important leaders of Pitcairn during this time were Thursday October Christian II, Simon Young and James Russell McCoy. McCoy, who was sent to England for education as a child, spent much of his later life on missionary journeys. In 1887, Britain officially annexed the island, and it was officially put under the jurisdiction of the governors of Fiji. thumb At Attappadi Plateau, Kerala (File:Common Emerald Dove.JPG) It has a number of subspecies, with three existing in Australia, ''longirostris'' from the Kimberly (Kimberley region of Western Australia), Western Australia to Cape York Peninsula, ''chrysochlora'' from Cape York Peninsula to southern New South Wales as well as Norfolk Island and Lord Howe Island, and ''natalis'' (Christmas Island Emerald Dove) from Christmas Island. Christian was survived by Maimiti and his son, Thursday October Christian (Thursday October Christian I) (born 1790). Besides Thursday October, Fletcher Christian also had a younger son named Charles Christian (born 1792) and a daughter Mary Ann Christian (born 1793). Thursday and Charles are the ancestors of almost everybody with the surname Christian on Pitcairn (Pitcairn Islands) and Norfolk (Norfolk Island) Islands, as well as the many descendants who have moved to Australia, New Zealand, and the United States. The successful establishment of crops on Clarence Plains was vital to the survival of Hobart Town. When new settlers arrived from Norfolk Island in 1808, some were granted land in the Derwent Valley (Derwent Valley Council), and others upon Clarence Plains. Very soon a mixture of mansions and fine houses, cottages, inns and churches began to be built in the area. However the population growth on the eastern shore was much slower than that of Hobart Town, despite the close proximity of the young town. By the 1810s, a ferryman was making regular crossings of the Derwent between Sullivans Cove, and 'Kangaroo Point', near where the ferry still arrives at Bellerive Quay (Bellerive, Tasmania). The point was so-called due to the large numbers of Kangaroos that would be seen grazing there in the first few decades after European arrival. By the late 1810s, farmers, timbermen, and pioneers had begun settling on the eastern shore of the Derwent River. An obelisk from 1818 and designed by the New South Wales Government Architect, Francis Greenway, is located in the park and records the distance to various locations (Kilometre Zero) in New South Wales along the earliest roads developed in the colony. Later an anchor from the Norfolk Island wreckage of the First Fleet flagship, HMS ''Sirius'' (HMS Sirius (1786)), together with a cannon from the ship, were placed in the park. Oldest and smallest of the First Fleet ships, she was built in 1759 as an armed trader, of 175 tons, and had carried naval supplies between the Thames and Channel ports for 27 years. She left Portsmouth on 13 May 1787, and arrived at Botany Bay on 18 January 1788under the command of Captain Arthur Phillip (from Cape Town). She was captained by Henry Lidgbird Ball and the surgeon was James Callam. The Supply was also the first ship to sail into Port Jackson. After the establishment of the initial settlement at Port Jackson, she was the link between the colony and Norfolk Island, making 10 trips. Following the loss of ''Sirius'' in 1790 she became the colony's only link with the outside world. On 17 April 1790 she was sent to Batavia for supplies, returning on 19 September, having chartered a Dutch vessel, the ''Waaksamheid'', to follow with more stores. ''Supply'' left Port Jackson on 26 November 1791 and sailed via Cape Horn reaching Plymouth on 21 April 1792. She was bought at auction in July 1792, renamed ''Thomas and Nancy'', and carried coal in the Thames area until 1806. Plot ''Clarissa Oakes'' opens with the ''Surprise (HMS Surprise (1796))'' on her way back to England from Port Jackson in New South Wales. Jack Aubrey is in an ill-humour as a result of the frigate's visit to the penal settlement - firstly, because Stephen Maturin fought a duel with an army officer, consequently antagonizing the local administration, and secondly because Padeen Colman, Stephen's servant and an absconder, was secreted aboard the ship against Jack's express wishes. Jack also observes a certain ribaldry amongst his crew and remains puzzled until he and Captain Pullings stumble across a young female convict, Clarissa Harvill, during a ship's inspection. Jack learns that she was smuggled aboard the frigate in Sydney (Sydney, Australia) by Midshipman Oakes and is at first determined to leave them both on Norfolk Island but has a change of heart after being dosed with laudanum by Maturin and allows the couple to stay aboard until they can be put off at a hospitable port. It ceased to be a public holiday in Hong Kong after the territory's handover (transfer of the sovereignty of Hong Kong) to the People's Republic of China in 1997. Norfolk Island celebrates the Queen of Australia's birthday on the Monday after the second Saturday in June. Fiji also still celebrates the Queen's Official Birthday, along with the Prince of Wales (Charles, Prince of Wales)'s Birthday, since although the Queen ceased to be head of state in 1987, she remains recognised by the Great Council of Chiefs as traditional Queen or paramount chief of Fiji (Monarchy of Fiji). Chambers recorded her solo album ''The Captain'' on Norfolk Island over a few weeks in late 1998 with Nash Chambers producing the album and Bill Chambers on guitar. US country musicians Buddy Miller and Julie Miller added guitars and vocals to four tracks. ''The Captain'' was released in 1999 in Australia and in 2000 in the US. Chambers won the 1999 ARIA Award for "Best Country Album" for ''The Captain'' and a year later she would win "Best Female Artist". The strong word of mouth would eventually lead to ''The Captain'' going double platinum in Australia. ''The Captain'' would eventually reach the top 50 of the Billboard country albums in 2001 with Chambers touring the US as support act to Lucinda Williams. Subsequently, she supported Emmylou Harris on her Australian tour. Chambers would receive further exposure when ''The Captain'' was played on an episode of HBO's ''The Sopranos''. The '''Crimson Rosella''' (''Platycercus elegans'') is a parrot native to eastern and south eastern Australia which has been introduced to New Zealand and Norfolk Island. It is commonly found in, but not restricted to, mountain forests and gardens. The species as it now stands has subsumed two former separate species, the '''Yellow Rosella''' and the '''Adelaide Rosella'''. Molecular studies show one of the three red-coloured races, var. ''nigrescens'' is genetically more distinct. They are year-round residents. Although this bird coexists well at the edges of urban areas, it is declining in some areas as human populations increase. They were originally found mainly in the southwestern United States but they have been introduced into other areas including British Columbia, Hawaii, Chile, New Zealand, and to Norfolk Island and King Island (King Island (Tasmania)) in Australia. These birds forage on the ground, often scratching at the soil. They can sometimes be seen feeding at the sides of roads. Their diet consists mainly of seeds and leaves, but they also eat some berries and insects; for example, Toyon berries are a common food source. C.M. Hogan, 2008) If startled, these birds explode into short rapid flight, called "flushing". Given a choice, they will normally make their escape on foot. Chief Minister of Norfolk Island Gardner was the chief minister of Norfolk Island from 5 December 2001 to 2 June 2006. He was succeeded in that post by David Buffett. The New Zealand Pigeon belongs to the family Columbidae, and the subfamily Treroninae, which is found throughout Southeast Asia, Malaya (Malay Peninsula), Africa and New Zealand. The members of this subfamily feed largely on fruits, mainly drupes. Falla, R. A., R. B. Sibson, and E. G. Turbott (1979). The new guide to the birds of New Zealand and outlying islands. Collins, Auckland. New Zealand Pigeons are members of the pigeon (dove) genus ''Hemiphaga'' (Bonaparte (Charles Lucien Bonaparte), 1854), which is endemic to the New Zealand archipelago and Norfolk Island. However recently a ''Hemiphaga'' bone was found on Raoul Island. Worthy, T. H., and R. Brassey. (2000). New Zealand pigeon (''Hemiphaga novaeseelandiae'') on Raoul Island, Kermadec Group. ''Notornis'' '''47''' (1): 36–38 The Parea or Chatham Island Pigeon (''Hemiphaga chathamensis'') is traditionally considered a subspecies of the Kererū, but is here treated as a separate species. Taxonomy As generally accepted, there are three subspecies of New Zealand Pigeon; of these, only two survive: ''H. n. novaseelandiae'' of mainland New Zealand and ''H. n. chathamensis'' of the Chatham Islands. The other subspecies, Norfolk Pigeon (''H. n. spadicea'') of Norfolk Island, is now extinct (extinction). The subspecies differ in their plumage colour and physical morphology. Settlers started to arrive in 1807 as farmers were moved from Norfolk Island to Van Diemen's Land (the original name used by Europeans for Tasmania). Governor Macquarie (Lachlan Macquarie) granted land rights to the settlers, who originally called the area ''Norfolk Plains''. The town, originally called Latour, grew up around the Longford Hotel which was built in 1827 by Newman Williatt, and in 1833 the town was renamed Longford. Convict labour was free and settlers used this to build some fine houses and estates. Resettlement of Norfolk Islanders The town's pioneers were many of the 554 folk resettled from Norfolk Island during the period of 29 November 1807 to 2 October 1808. New Norfolk History 1986 ISBN 1 86252 303 Lt. Governor David Collins (David Collins (governor)) selected the site as a separate crop production area in the fertile valley, as the Norfolk Islanders were mainly farming families, who were offered extra acres in Tasmania as an incentive to relocate. The climate was colder than sub-tropical Norfolk Island, which proved a challenge for the hardy pioneers during the first few years, but eventually the district became self-supporting. Penal colonies in Australia Especially harsh floggings were given with it in secondary penal colonies (penal colony) of early colonial Australia, particularly at such places as Norfolk Island (apparently this has 9 leather thongs, each with a lead weight, meant as the ultimate deterrent for hardened life-convicts), Port Arthur (Port Arthur, Tasmania) and Moreton Bay (now Brisbane). WikiPedia:Norfolk Island Dmoz:Regional Oceania Norfolk Island

Norfolk Island

'''Norfolk Island''' ( from Lord Howe Island. The island is part of the Commonwealth of Australia, but it enjoys a large degree of self-governance. Together with two neighbouring islands, it forms one of Australia's external territories (States and territories of Australia). It has 2,300 inhabitants living on a total area of about 35 km 2 . Its capital is Kingston (Kingston, Norfolk Island).

Originally settled by East Polynesians, Norfolk Island was colonised by Great Britain (Kingdom of Great Britain) as part of its settlement of Australia in 1788. The island served as a convict penal settlement until May 1855, except for an 11-year hiatus between 1814 and 1825, when it was abandoned. In 1856 permanent civilian residence on the island began when it was settled from Pitcairn. In 1901, the island became a part of the Commonwealth of Australia.

The evergreen Norfolk Island pine (Araucaria heterophylla) is a symbol of the island and thus pictured on its flag (Flag of Norfolk Island). Native to the island, the pine is a key export industry for Norfolk Island, being a popular ornamental tree on mainland Australia, where two related species grow, and also worldwide.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017