Nin, Croatia

What is Nin, Croatia known for?


716

) to ''Elona'' (''Aenona'', Nin (Nin, Croatia)) of Classical Liburnia and Iapodian (Iapodes) settlements in the inland (Lika). M. Suić, ''Liburnia Tarsaticencis, Adriatica prehistorica et antique'', Zbornik G. Novak, Filozofski fakultet u Zagrebu, Zagreb, 1970, pages 706-716 J. Medini, ''Provincia Liburnia'', Diadora, vol. 9, Zadar, 1980, pages 395, 414 This certainly caused simultaneous Liburnian resistance on the both coasts, in their ethnic domain


great quot

buildings of one room. Similar stone houses are saved in Croatian tradition in all Dalmatia and Kvarner, mostly of rounded form, called ''bunja''. Under his rule the Croatian realm (Kingdom of Croatia (medieval)) reached its peak territorially, earning him the sobriquet "the Great," otherwise unique in Croatian history. ''Ante Oršanić'', "Hrvatski orač", 1939. He kept his seat at Nin (Nin, Croatia) and Biograd na Moru, ref name "


battle field

) was a medieval Croatian bishop who strongly opposed the Pope and official circles of the Church (Christian Church) and introduced the Croatian language in the religious services after the Great Assembly in 926, according to traditional Croatian historiography. Until that time, services were held only in Latin (Latin language), not being understandable to the majority of the population. Not only was this important for Croatian language and culture but it also made the religion stronger within the Croatian kingdom (Kingdom of Croatia (Medieval)). Dragutin Pavličević, Povijest Hrvatske, naklada Pavičić, Zagreb 2007. godine, ISBN 978-953-6308-71-2 The statue was originally located in the Peristyle of Diocletian's Palace and can be seen in postcards of the pre-World War II period. During World War II, the statue was moved outside the city by Italian occupying forces. Currently, the statue sits to the north of the Palace and Old Town of Split, just outside the Golden Gate. There are also statues of Gregory of Nin in the cities of Nin, Croatia and Varaždin, Croatia.


long running

, Pope Leo VI abolished the Nin (Nin, Croatia) Bishopric and transferred Bishop Gregory (Gregory of Nin) ( ) to Skradin. That was the end of the long running dispute between the Split (Split (city)) and Nin Bishoprics. Other attractions include: *''Cathedral of the Isles'' – William Butterfield, one of the great architects of the Gothic revival designed the cathedral church of the Diocese of Argyll and the Isles, within the Scottish

-Slavic proponents in the long running dispute between the Split (Split (city)) and Nin Bishoprics. Most information about Vladislav is carried by the Royal Frankish Annals when it speaks about Borna's death. Annales regni Francorum inde ab a. 741 usque ad a. 829, qui dicuntur Annales Laurissenses maiores et Einhardi. Herausgegeben von Friedrich Kurze. XX und 204 S. 8°. 1895. Nachdruck 1950. It is uncertain until what year Vladislav was active as a monarch


926

Assembly in 926, according to traditional Croatian historiography. Until that time, services were held only in Latin (Latin language), not being understandable to the majority of the population. Not only was this important for Croatian language and culture but it also made the religion stronger within the Croatian kingdom (Kingdom of Croatia (Medieval)). Dragutin Pavličević, Povijest Hrvatske, naklada Pavičić, Zagreb 2007. godine, ISBN 978-953-6308-71-2 The statue


cathedral

and tourist town which looks for its development in the valorization of its historical heritage. In recent years, many monuments have been restored. Because of the importance of Nin in the history of Croatia, tourists visit from Croatia and elsewhere in Europe. They come especially to visit two symbols of the old town: the church of Holy Cross from the 9th century, called “the smallest cathedral in the world”, and the coronation church. After 1980 near Nin a high power medium wave broadcasting

, Pope Leo VI abolished the Nin (Nin, Croatia) Bishopric and transferred Bishop Gregory (Gregory of Nin) ( ) to Skradin. That was the end of the long running dispute between the Split (Split (city)) and Nin Bishoprics. Other attractions include: *''Cathedral of the Isles'' – William Butterfield, one of the great architects of the Gothic revival designed the cathedral church of the Diocese of Argyll and the Isles, within the Scottish

Episcopal Church Episcopal Church of Scotland (Anglican Communion). George Frederick Boyle, 6th Earl of Glasgow acted as the founder and benefactor. Construction finished in 1849 and the cathedral opened in 1851. Formal gardens and woodland surround the cathedral, the highest building on Great Cumbrae and one of the smallest cathedrals in Europe. The building is variously described as "the smallest cathedral in Europe", "the second smallest in Europe" etc


military success

, Nin (Nin, Croatia), Obrovac (Obrovac, Croatia) and Pag (Pag (town)). Since 1387, Tvrtko had pretensions to rule the Croatian lands of the Bribir Prince, ancestors across his mother's side as well. He dispatched that year Duke Hrvoje Vukčić to relieve the Siege of Bishop Pavle Horvat in Zagreb. In July the same year, King Stephen made his first greater military success by making Klis to surrender. From there he continued on to Split (Split (city)) and then the Zadar


taking victory

'' (people of Zadar) and laid a siege of Pharos. The Syracusan fleet positioned in Issa was informed in time and Greek triremes attacked the siege fleet, taking victory at the end. According to Diodorus, The Greeks killed more than 5,000 and captured 2,000 prisoners, ran down or captured their ships and burnt down their weapons in dedication their god. ) was a medieval Croatian bishop who strongly opposed the Pope and official circles of the Church (Christian Church) and introduced the Croatian language in the religious services after the Great Assembly in 926, according to traditional Croatian historiography. Until that time, services were held only in Latin (Latin language), not being understandable to the majority of the population. Not only was this important for Croatian language and culture but it also made the religion stronger within the Croatian kingdom (Kingdom of Croatia (Medieval)). Dragutin Pavličević, Povijest Hrvatske, naklada Pavičić, Zagreb 2007. godine, ISBN 978-953-6308-71-2 The statue was originally located in the Peristyle of Diocletian's Palace and can be seen in postcards of the pre-World War II period. During World War II, the statue was moved outside the city by Italian occupying forces. Currently, the statue sits to the north of the Palace and Old Town of Split, just outside the Golden Gate. There are also statues of Gregory of Nin in the cities of Nin, Croatia and Varaždin, Croatia.


quot military

to the Byzantines in 552 AD. S. Antoljak, Zadar pod vlašću istočnih Gota, Zadarska revija, XX 1971, pages 139-146 However, northern Liburnia and the rest of Classical Liburnia remained in the Gothic hands until 555 AD; after Byzantine conquest of Savia (540 AD) and Istria (543 AD) it was organized to special administrative-territorial unit of the Gothic state, known as "''Liburnia Tarsatica''", military province directly subject to ''comes Gotharum'' settled

in Aquilea. N. Klaić, ''Povijest Hrvata u srednjem vijeku'', page 16 This "military-naval" region, protected by heavy fleet, became a barrier to the Byzantine army step to Lika and Gorski Kotar, keeping safe continental road route over ''Tarsatica'' to Aquileia and northern Italy. According to anonymous Cosmographer of Ravenna (Ravenna Cosmography) (6th or 7th century), ''Liburnia Tarsatica'' considered all coastal cities from ''Albona'' ( Labin


sense significant

of the 7th century. The first Croatian state community was formed at the end of the 8th and beginning of the 9th century. Nin was the first Croatian royal town, with its period of glory being from the 7th to the 13th centuries. In the 9th century Nin became the seat of the first Croatian bishop. Bishops from Nin (Bishop of Nin) played a great role in the country's religious, a cultural and a political sense. Significant rulers connected with the history of Nin include Višeslav of Croatia

Nin, Croatia

'''Nin''' ( or ''Nona'') is a town in the Zadar County of Croatia, population 1,256 (2001), total municipality population 4,603 (2001).

Nin was historically important as a centre of a medieval Christian Bishopric (Diocese of Nin). Up to the abolition and Latinization imposed by King Tomislav in the first half of the 10th century, Nin was the centre of the autonomous Croatian branch of the Church. Nin was also the seat of the Princes of Dalmatia (Duke of Croatia). The Bishop Gregory of Nin (''Grgur ninski'') was an important figure in the 10th century Church politics of Dalmatia.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017