Leaside

What is Leaside known for?


offering regular

by the Toronto District School Board. Northlea is a dual track school offering regular English programs from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8, and French Immersion programs from Senior Kindergarten to Grade 8. Bessborough Elementary and Middle School, located on the same road as Leaside High School in South Leaside, has offered education to those living in the older part of Leaside. St. Anselm Catholic School, also located on Bessborough Drive, opened in 1939 and presently has an enrollment of 340


green community

P22" Rempel, p. 22. While the industrial development in the area went ahead as planned during World War One, the anticipated residential development did not occur. Pitfield, p. 23. As late as 1929 the population remained under 500. World War I


featured+large

by the Canadian Northern Railway as middle class suburbs, though both, Leaside in particular, featured large industrial tracts. Leaside had its own municipal government until 1967, while Mount Royal continues to enjoy autonomy from the City of Montreal . Metro Toronto was composed of the City of Toronto (Toronto (former)), the towns of New Toronto, Mimico, Weston (Weston, Toronto), and Leaside; the villages of Long Branch, Ontario Long Branch


major influence

; Canada Wire and Cable was purchased by Alcatel in 1991, and the operations relocated to Markham in 1996, with the location being converted to a shopping centre. Pitfield, p 46. The plant had expanded through the years and been a major influence in Leaside, employing over 2700 workers at its peak. It had also been a strong influence over the community in other ways, investing in the community in various ways, including the construction


track school

by the Toronto District School Board. Northlea is a dual track school offering regular English programs from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 8, and French Immersion programs from Senior Kindergarten to Grade 8. Bessborough Elementary and Middle School, located on the same road as Leaside High School in South Leaside, has offered education to those living in the older part of Leaside. St. Anselm Catholic School, also located on Bessborough Drive, opened in 1939 and presently has an enrollment of 340


small single

class areas, primarily consisting of post–World War I small, single-family homes and small apartment blocks. Neighbourhoods such as Crescent Town, Thorncliffe Park, Weston (Weston, Ontario), and Oakwood–Vaughan mainly consist of high-rise apartments, which are home to many new immigrant families. During the 2000s, many neighbourhoods have become ethnically diverse and have undergone gentrification, as a result of increasing population and a housing boom during the late 1990s


strong influence

; Canada Wire and Cable was purchased by Alcatel in 1991, and the operations relocated to Markham in 1996, with the location being converted to a shopping centre. Pitfield, p 46. The plant had expanded through the years and been a major influence in Leaside, employing over 2700 workers at its peak. It had also been a strong influence over the community in other ways, investing in the community in various ways, including the construction of a water main in 1918. Pitfield, p.42 East York merged with five other municipalities and a regional government in 1998 to form the new City of Toronto (merger (politics)#Canada). Politics thumb 200px left View of Millwood Road south to the Leaside Viaduct (now known as the Leaside Bridge or Millwood Bridge) in 1928 (Image:LeasideMillwoodBridge.jpg) The first town council for Leaside was elected on May 8, 1913. The council had five members: Randolph McRae, who served as the mayor, and Harvey Fitzsimmons, Laurence Boulton, George Saunders and Archibald McRae who served as aldermen. All were acclaim (Acclamation)ed in the election, all were members of the Canadian Northern Railway. From 1954 to 1966, Leaside had its own mayor. There were four individuals who held this post - Howard T. Burrell (1954–1955); Charles H. Hiscott (1956–1961); Lloyd M. Dickinson (1962); Beth Nealson (1963–1966). '''Leaside High School''' is a school of between 900 and 1000 pupils in central-east Toronto at the corner of Eglinton (Eglinton Avenue) and Bayview (Bayview Avenue) Avenues. Established in 1945, the school is part of the Leaside community of East York.


year previous

(American Revolution) Loyalists fleeing the American Revolution. Lea family settles Lot 13 John Lea immigrated to York, Upper Canada in 1819, coming from Philadelphia. Rempel, p. 2. He had come to the United States from England only a year previous. He purchased Lot 13 in the third concession from Alexander McDonnell on January 23, 1820 and settled there with his family. Rempel, p. 3. John Lea had three children - William, John Jr


largest single

name "JP P54" Pitfield, p. 54. At the start of World War II, Lincoln Electric moved their operations to Leaside industrial park, adjacent to the Canada Wire and Cable plant. The new location, constructed in 1940, covered 30 '''Leaside High School''' is a school of between 900 and 1000 pupils in central-east Toronto at the corner of Eglinton (Eglinton Avenue) and Bayview (Bayview Avenue) Avenues. Established in 1945, the school is part of the Leaside community of East York.


largest single

name "JP P54" Pitfield, p. 54. At the start of World War II, Lincoln Electric moved their operations to Leaside industrial park, adjacent to the Canada Wire and Cable plant. The new location, constructed in 1940, covered 30 '''Leaside High School''' is a school of between 900 and 1000 pupils in central-east Toronto at the corner of Eglinton (Eglinton Avenue) and Bayview (Bayview Avenue) Avenues. Established in 1945, the school is part of the Leaside community of East York.

Leaside

'''Leaside''' is a neighbourhood in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located northeast of Downtown Toronto, in the vicinity of Eglinton Avenue East and Bayview Avenue. The area takes its name from William Lea and the Lea family, who settled there in the early years of the nineteenth century. Brown, p. 198. The area first developed as farmland along with Toronto through the nineteenth century. It was incorporated as a town in 1913. In 1967 it was amalgamated with the township of East York to form the borough of East York. In 1998 it became part of the city of Toronto.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017