Latrun

What is Latrun known for?


fierce

. It is located at a strategic hilltop in the '''Latrun Salient''' in the Ayalon Valley. It overlooks the road between Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem, 25 kilometers west of Jerusalem and 14 kilometers southeast of Ramla. It was the site of fierce fighting (Battles of Latrun (1948)) during the 1948 war (1948 Arab-Israeli war). The 1949 armistice agreement between Israel and Jordan During the 1948–1967 period it was occupied by Jordan at the edge of a 'no-mans land' between the armistice lines

soldiers dead, and Israeli forces advanced through Beit Horon (Beth-Horon) towards Ramallah, taking four fortified villages along the way. By the evening, the brigade arrived in Ramallah. Meanwhile, the 163rd Infantry Battalion secured Abu Tor following a fierce battle, severing the Old City from Bethlehem and Hebron. thumb 250px Mordechai Gur (File:Motta Gur Marpeset Picture.jpg) and his paratroopers survey Jerusalem's Old City before capturing it Jordan soon began shelling

, but, fearing damage to holy places and having to fight in built-up areas, he ordered his troops not to go in. However, upon hearing that the U.N. was about to declare a ceasefire, he changed his mind, and without cabinet clearance, decided to take the city. After fierce fighting with Jordanian troops in and around the Jerusalem area, Israel captured the Old City on 7 June. Lt. Colonel Latrun, Lid, and Ramla - In a second planned stage


fierce fighting

. It is located at a strategic hilltop in the '''Latrun Salient''' in the Ayalon Valley. It overlooks the road between Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem, 25 kilometers west of Jerusalem and 14 kilometers southeast of Ramla. It was the site of fierce fighting (Battles of Latrun (1948)) during the 1948 war (1948 Arab-Israeli war). The 1949 armistice agreement between Israel and Jordan During the 1948–1967 period it was occupied by Jordan at the edge of a 'no-mans land' between the armistice lines known as the Latrun salient. In the 1967 war it was captured by Israel along with the whole salient and the West Bank, and remains in Israeli possession. The hilltop includes Latrun Monastery (the only Trappist monastery in Israel), Mini Israel, a park with scale models of historic buildings around Israel, The International Center for the Study of Bird Migration (Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel#Birding Division) (ICSBM), which is adjacent to Yad La-Shiryon Memorial and Museum. Neve Shalom (Oasis of Peace) is a joint Jewish-Arab community on a hilltop south of Latrun. Canada Park is nearby to the east. Etymology The name Latrun is ultimately derived from the ruins of a medieval castle. There are two theories regarding the origin of the name. One is that it is a corruption of the French, ''Le toron'' des chevaliers (''The Castle'' of the Knights), named by the Crusaders (Crusades). The other is that it is from the Latin, Domus boni ''Latronis'' (The House of the Good ''Thief (wikt:latro#Latin)''), Robinson and Smith, 1841, pp. 30, 66 a name given by 14th century Christian pilgrims after the penitent thief who was crucified by the Romans alongside Jesus ( , Arabic (Arabic language):كندا حديقة) (also '''Ayalon Park''') Remembering the Americans and Canadians who Fell is a national park stretching over 7,000 dunams, mostly in the West Bank, with a portion in the region that was a no man's land before 1967 and incorporated into Israel in 1967. First autumn crocus blooms in Canada Park It is maintained by the Jewish National Fund of Canada. Canada Park is located west of Jerusalem, to the north of Highway 1 (Highway 1 (Israel)) (Tel Aviv - Jerusalem), between the Latrun intersection and Sha'ar HaGai. Remembering the Americans and Canadians who Fell The park attracts some 300,000 visitors annually. Canada Park – an Israeli haven for picnickers, hikers, cyclists 200px thumb Map of destroyed villages and armistice lines (File:CanadaParkCropped.jpg) All Arab villages in the Latrun salient were razed during the Six Day War on the orders of Israeli general Yitzhak Rabin and over 10,000 inhabitants were expelled. Al-Haq Legal Brief Segev, Tom (Tom Segev) (2006). 1967: Israel, the War and the Year That Transformed the Middle East, Metropolitan Books, pp. 306-309. Oren, 2002, p. 307. Canada Park was established on the lands of two of the Arab villages depopulated at this time: Imwas and Yalo. Al-Haq Legal Brief The inhabitants were granted compensation but not allowed to return. Oren, 2002, p. 307. Imwas, Yalo and Bayt Nuba were demolished as part of strategic plans to widen the Jerusalem Corridor. Right of Remembrance, Haaretz Dayr Ayyub, also on the grounds of the park, had been partly destroyed during the fighting in 1948 and never rebuilt. Morris, 2004, p. xx, village #337. The settlement of Mevo Horon was built on the lands of Bayt Nuba in 1970. Al-Haq Legal Brief Settlements to be included on the Israeli side of the West Bank Barrier include those in or near the Modi'in bloc (Hashmonaim, Matityahu (Matityahu, Mateh Binyamin), Na'ale, Nili (Nili, Mateh Binyamin)), Mevo Horon in the Latrun area, Beit Horon and Giv'on HaHadasha northwest of Jerusalem, and Almon (Almon, Mateh Binyamin) and Kfar Adumim in the Adummim area east of Jerusalem. The son of poultry vendors, he was educated at a religious school. In his teens, after initially joining Ze'ev Jabotinsky's Betar organization, he became a member of all three Jewish underground (underground resistance) military organizations in British Mandatory Palestine (British Mandate of Palestine): Lehi (Lehi (group)) (the "Stern Gang"), Etzel (Irgun), and Haganah (Palmach) that fought the British (United Kingdom) and the Arab populations. He was arrested by the British Mandatory authorities and spend several months in detention at Latrun. With the establishment of Israel, he briefly joined the Israeli Communist party (Maki (historical political party)). He fought in the first three wars: 1948-50, 1956, and 1967. He strongly disagreed with the annexation of the Golan Heights and East Jerusalem and takeover of the West Bank and Gaza Strip by Israel in the aftermath of the Six-Day war. One Hotchkiss H35 ''modifié 39'' tank is on display in the city square in Narvik as a memorial of Battle of Narvik in 1940. A second vehicle in Norway is part of the collection of the ''Panserparken'' at the camp Rena leir. In England the private ''Kevin Wheatcroft Collection'' has bought an exemplar from the Norwegian ''Arquebus Krigshistoriske Museum'' at Rogaland. In France itself the Musée des Blindés at Saumur has a vehicle in a running condition; at the base of ''501 503e RCC'' at Mourmelon-le-Grand a Hotchkiss serves as a monument restored with a Renault R35 turret, fitted with a dummy gun. Another tanks is displayed at Uzice, in Serbia. The Bulgarian National Museum of Military History displays one of the vehicles used by the Bulgarian police forces. At Latrun in Israel the Yad la-Shiryon Museum shows one of the tanks used by the IDF. In Russia the tank museum of Kubinka has a Hotchkiss tank in running condition, captured from ''211. Panzerabteilung'' in the summer of 1944. History The section between Latrun and Jerusalem roughly follows an ancient path connecting Jaffa and Jerusalem. The Jaffa-Jerusalem road was initially paved by the Ottomans (Ottoman Empire) in the 1860s and since then served as the main highway to Jerusalem, favored over more topographically (topography) convenient routes such as Route 443 (Route 443 (Israel)). Express Latrun, Ramla CBS, Bat Yam - Express Latrun, Ramla, Rehovot, Nes Ziona - Express Latrun, Ramla - Express Latrun Junction, Gedera Junction, Givat Washington Junction, Bene Darom Junction -


jerusalem

. It is located at a strategic hilltop in the '''Latrun Salient''' in the Ayalon Valley. It overlooks the road between Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem, 25 kilometers west of Jerusalem and 14 kilometers southeast of Ramla. It was the site of fierce fighting (Battles of Latrun (1948)) during the 1948 war (1948 Arab-Israeli war). The 1949 armistice agreement between Israel and Jordan During the 1948–1967 period it was occupied by Jordan at the edge of a 'no-mans land' between the armistice lines

of Maccabees, Judah Maccabee learned that the Greeks were planning to march on his position, and successfully ambushed the invaders. The Jewish victory in what was later called the Battle of Emmaus led to greater Jewish autonomy under Hasmonean rule over the next century. Crusader era Image:Latrun-Castle-S-034.jpg

of Monseigneur Poyet of the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem. The monastery is dedicated to Our Lady of the Seven Sorrows. The liturgy is in French. The monks bought the 'Maccabee Hotel', formerly called 'The Howard' from the Batato brothers together with two-hundred hectares of land and started the community in a building which still stands in the monastic domain. http: pagesperso-orange.fr augustin.tavardon ACCUEIL%20HISTOIRE.htm In 1909 it was given the status


religious school

northwest of Jerusalem, and Almon (Almon, Mateh Binyamin) and Kfar Adumim in the Adummim area east of Jerusalem. The son of poultry vendors, he was educated at a religious school. In his teens, after initially joining Ze'ev Jabotinsky's Betar organization, he became a member of all three Jewish underground (underground resistance) military organizations in British Mandatory Palestine (British Mandate of Palestine): Lehi (Lehi (group)) (the "Stern Gang"


Ramallah

, ''al-Latrun'') is the place of a Trappist Monastery

; ref The Irgun continued to attack police stations and headquarters, and Tegart Fort (Tegart fort), a fortified police station (today the location of Latrun). One relatively complex operation was overtaking of the governmental radio station in Ramallah, on May 17, 1944. In October 1944 the British began expelling hundreds of arrested Irgun and Lehi members to detention camps in Africa. 251 detainees from Latrun were flown

soldiers dead, and Israeli forces advanced through Beit Horon (Beth-Horon) towards Ramallah, taking four fortified villages along the way. By the evening, the brigade arrived in Ramallah. Meanwhile, the 163rd Infantry Battalion secured Abu Tor following a fierce battle, severing the Old City from Bethlehem and Hebron. thumb 250px Mordechai Gur (File:Motta Gur Marpeset Picture.jpg) and his paratroopers survey Jerusalem's Old City before capturing it Jordan soon began shelling


quot violent

And Protection Of The Holy Places UN Doc T 681 1 June 1950 the Israeli Mount Scopus enclave, the Latrun salient (sovereignty of the DMZ), Arab infiltration across the armistice demarcation line and large scale Israeli military incursions into Jordanian territory. Commander E H Hutchison USNR "Violent Truce: A Military Observer Looks at the Arab-Israeli Conflict 1951-1955" The troubles soon bloomed the Infiltration by the displaced Arabs (1948 Palestinian exodus), followed by raids of reprisal and intimidation by the Israelis, soon had the borders crackling with tension. E H Hutchison "Violent Truce" p.xxvi The infiltration by Palestinians was initially unarmed groups crossing to regain possessions, harvest their crops or visit relatives; later infiltrations became armed individuals and then progressing into small retaliatory raids. Israel's Border Wars, 1949-1956: Arab Infiltration, Israeli Retaliation, and the Countdown to the Suez War... By Benny Morris p. 38. As Pasha Glubb (John Bagot Glubb) explained Israel's Border Wars, 1949-1956: Arab Infiltration, Israeli Retaliation, and the Countdown to the Suez War ... By Benny Morris p. 37 :- thumb 250px View of the village (Image:view east 121202c 760.jpg) '''Neve Shalom''' ( , Arabic (Arabic language):كندا حديقة) (also '''Ayalon Park''') Remembering the Americans and Canadians who Fell is a national park stretching over 7,000 dunams, mostly in the West Bank, with a portion in the region that was a no man's land before 1967 and incorporated into Israel in 1967. First autumn crocus blooms in Canada Park It is maintained by the Jewish National Fund of Canada. Canada Park is located west of Jerusalem, to the north of Highway 1 (Highway 1 (Israel)) (Tel Aviv - Jerusalem), between the Latrun intersection and Sha'ar HaGai. Remembering the Americans and Canadians who Fell The park attracts some 300,000 visitors annually. Canada Park – an Israeli haven for picnickers, hikers, cyclists 200px thumb Map of destroyed villages and armistice lines (File:CanadaParkCropped.jpg) All Arab villages in the Latrun salient were razed during the Six Day War on the orders of Israeli general Yitzhak Rabin and over 10,000 inhabitants were expelled. Al-Haq Legal Brief Segev, Tom (Tom Segev) (2006). 1967: Israel, the War and the Year That Transformed the Middle East, Metropolitan Books, pp. 306-309. Oren, 2002, p. 307. Canada Park was established on the lands of two of the Arab villages depopulated at this time: Imwas and Yalo. Al-Haq Legal Brief The inhabitants were granted compensation but not allowed to return. Oren, 2002, p. 307. Imwas, Yalo and Bayt Nuba were demolished as part of strategic plans to widen the Jerusalem Corridor. Right of Remembrance, Haaretz Dayr Ayyub, also on the grounds of the park, had been partly destroyed during the fighting in 1948 and never rebuilt. Morris, 2004, p. xx, village #337. The settlement of Mevo Horon was built on the lands of Bayt Nuba in 1970. Al-Haq Legal Brief Settlements to be included on the Israeli side of the West Bank Barrier include those in or near the Modi'in bloc (Hashmonaim, Matityahu (Matityahu, Mateh Binyamin), Na'ale, Nili (Nili, Mateh Binyamin)), Mevo Horon in the Latrun area, Beit Horon and Giv'on HaHadasha northwest of Jerusalem, and Almon (Almon, Mateh Binyamin) and Kfar Adumim in the Adummim area east of Jerusalem. The son of poultry vendors, he was educated at a religious school. In his teens, after initially joining Ze'ev Jabotinsky's Betar organization, he became a member of all three Jewish underground (underground resistance) military organizations in British Mandatory Palestine (British Mandate of Palestine): Lehi (Lehi (group)) (the "Stern Gang"), Etzel (Irgun), and Haganah (Palmach) that fought the British (United Kingdom) and the Arab populations. He was arrested by the British Mandatory authorities and spend several months in detention at Latrun. With the establishment of Israel, he briefly joined the Israeli Communist party (Maki (historical political party)). He fought in the first three wars: 1948-50, 1956, and 1967. He strongly disagreed with the annexation of the Golan Heights and East Jerusalem and takeover of the West Bank and Gaza Strip by Israel in the aftermath of the Six-Day war. One Hotchkiss H35 ''modifié 39'' tank is on display in the city square in Narvik as a memorial of Battle of Narvik in 1940. A second vehicle in Norway is part of the collection of the ''Panserparken'' at the camp Rena leir. In England the private ''Kevin Wheatcroft Collection'' has bought an exemplar from the Norwegian ''Arquebus Krigshistoriske Museum'' at Rogaland. In France itself the Musée des Blindés at Saumur has a vehicle in a running condition; at the base of ''501 503e RCC'' at Mourmelon-le-Grand a Hotchkiss serves as a monument restored with a Renault R35 turret, fitted with a dummy gun. Another tanks is displayed at Uzice, in Serbia. The Bulgarian National Museum of Military History displays one of the vehicles used by the Bulgarian police forces. At Latrun in Israel the Yad la-Shiryon Museum shows one of the tanks used by the IDF. In Russia the tank museum of Kubinka has a Hotchkiss tank in running condition, captured from ''211. Panzerabteilung'' in the summer of 1944. History The section between Latrun and Jerusalem roughly follows an ancient path connecting Jaffa and Jerusalem. The Jaffa-Jerusalem road was initially paved by the Ottomans (Ottoman Empire) in the 1860s and since then served as the main highway to Jerusalem, favored over more topographically (topography) convenient routes such as Route 443 (Route 443 (Israel)). Express Latrun, Ramla CBS, Bat Yam - Express Latrun, Ramla, Rehovot, Nes Ziona - Express Latrun, Ramla - Express Latrun Junction, Gedera Junction, Givat Washington Junction, Bene Darom Junction -


military technical

, Ramla, Latrun and Ramallah (abbr. ''Larlar''). The first stage (Lydda and Ramla) met with success, and the second did not materialize. - 320px right thumb A surviving police Tegart fort (File:Latrun-Police-Building.jpg) at Latrun devised by Sir Charles Tegart, who also introduced border fences and Arab Investigation Centres. *Military Technical Museum, Lesany, Czech republic * Yad La-Shiryon The Armored


numerous successful

on thirteen planes, on October 19 to a camp in Asmara, Eritrea. Eleven additional transports were made. Throughout the period of their detention, the detainees often initiated rebellions and hunger strikes. Many escape attempts were made until July 1948 when the exiles were returned to Israel. While there were numerous successful escapes from the camp itself, only nine men actually made it back all the way. One noted success was that of Yaakov Meridor, who escaped nine times before finally


development research

and Bayt Nuba were razed, their residents taking refuge in the West Bank and Jordan, and Canada Park was established on the land. Brynen, Rex and Roula El-Rifai. ''Palestinian Refugees: Challenges of Repatriation and Development.'' p.128 Ottawa: International Development Research Centre. ISBN 1-55250-231-7 Since the Six-Day War thumb 250px Yad La-Shiryon museum. (Image:Latrun-Castle-S-059-Fort.jpg) The Latrun monastic community allowed two Neve Shalom -Wahat


population amp

of Israeli general Yitzhak Rabin and over 10,000 inhabitants were expelled.population&hl en&pid bl&srcid ADGEESihja_bise16cuqZUyvYfKdPJkOdRsHpNQ8p6eLpkO-grooLTvYbiMqwA3TE02CAwTL4xOtFQj_Y0bG8jZdkTAmbVmJpXMkIgpodhPibDmbby59w42nWZAN-3yWhWGaodnW45AN&sig AHIEtbS8xTtoY4ynI5T782aBcomrTDfnqA Al-Haq Legal Brief Tom Segev Segev, Tom

(2006). 1967: Israel, the War and the Year That Transformed the Middle East, Metropolitan Books, pp. 306-309. Oren, 2002, p. 307. Canada Park was established on the lands of two of the Arab villages depopulated at this time: Imwas and Yalo. population&hl en&pid bl&srcid

464050 Right of Remembrance, Haaretz Dayr Ayyub, also on the grounds of the park, had been partly destroyed during the fighting in 1948 and never rebuilt. Morris, 2004, p. xx, village #337. The settlement of Mevo Horon was built on the lands of Bayt Nuba in 1970. population&hl en&pid bl&srcid

Latrun

'''Latrun''' ( , ''al-Latrun'') is the place of a Trappist Monastery. It is located at a strategic hilltop in the '''Latrun Salient''' in the Ayalon Valley. It overlooks the road between Tel-Aviv and Jerusalem, 25 kilometers west of Jerusalem and 14 kilometers southeast of Ramla. It was the site of fierce fighting (Battles of Latrun (1948)) during the 1948 war (1948 Arab-Israeli war). The 1949 armistice agreement between Israel and Jordan During the 1948–1967 period it was occupied by Jordan at the edge of a 'no-mans land' between the armistice lines known as the Latrun salient. In the 1967 war it was captured by Israel along with the whole salient and the West Bank, and remains in Israeli possession.

The hilltop includes Latrun Monastery (the only Trappist monastery in Israel), Mini Israel, a park with scale models of historic buildings around Israel, The International Center for the Study of Bird Migration (Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel#Birding Division) (ICSBM), which is adjacent to Yad La-Shiryon Memorial and Museum. Neve Shalom (Oasis of Peace) is a joint Jewish-Arab community on a hilltop south of Latrun. Canada Park is nearby to the east.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017