Farmington, Maine

What is Farmington, Maine known for?


dexter

designated a smoking car. The company headquarters and distribution center are located in Newcastle (Newcastle, Maine). There are 16 retail store locations: Bath (Bath, Maine), Belfast (Belfast, Maine), Bridgton (Bridgton, Maine), Camden (Camden, Maine), Damariscotta (Damariscotta, Maine) (two stores), Dexter (Dexter, Maine), Ellsworth (Ellsworth, Maine), Farmington (Farmington, Maine), Gardiner (Gardiner, Maine), Madison (Madison, Maine), Pittsfield, Maine Pittsfield


sweet music

about the composer in his diary, Rev. Paul Coffin wrote: "Squire Belcher called his singers together and gave us an evening of sweet music." Butler, p. 159 After the 1796 performance of Belcher's ''Ordination Anthem'', parts of which bear resemblance to Handel (George Frideric Handel)'s famous Messiah chorus, a Maine newspaper dubbed the composer 'the Handell of Maine'. Belcher was also active as violinist and singer. He died


poems

Born Elizabeth Anne Chase, she grew up in Farmington, Maine, where she attended Farmington Academy. She began to write at the age of fifteen, under the pen name ''Florence Percy'', and in 1855 published under that name a volume of poems entitled ''Forest Buds''. In 1851 she married Marshall S. M. Taylor, but they were divorced within a few years. In subsequent years she travelled through Europe; in Rome she became acquainted with the feminist (Feminism) Paulina Kellogg Wright

in 1861. In 1865 she married E. M. Allen, of New York. In 1866 a collection of her poems was published in Boston. '''Mt. Blue High School''' is a public (Education in the United States) high school (grades 9–12) in Farmington (Farmington, Maine), Maine, United States. The school is a part of Maine School Administrative District 9, and enrolls students from the Maine towns of Farmington (Farmington, Maine), Weld (Weld, Maine), Temple (Temple, Maine), Wilton, Maine


music quot

about the composer in his diary, Rev. Paul Coffin wrote: "Squire Belcher called his singers together and gave us an evening of sweet music." Butler, p. 159 After the 1796 performance of Belcher's ''Ordination Anthem'', parts of which bear resemblance to Handel (George Frideric Handel)'s famous Messiah chorus, a Maine newspaper dubbed the composer 'the Handell of Maine'. Belcher was also active as violinist and singer. He died


Walmart

housed a school, and has a trading post, along with some restaurants. It is located at the junction of Maine State Route 4 and Maine State Route 27. It is part of the 04938 Zip Code. The Lillian Nordica House is located in Fairbanks. *'''Wilton Road'''- US Highway 2 in Maine passes through Farmington. This area has mostly businesses. There is a Walmart, Hannaford, Taco Bell, Subway (Subway (restaurant)), Pizza Hut and the Ford, GM, and Chrysler dealerships

. There are 3 Dunkin Donuts off The Wilton Road. One near Big Lots, One at a Citgo Gas Station, and one inside Walmart. There are other businesses located on Wilton Road. Between West Farmington and Subway, The Speed Limit is 30 MPH, and between Subway and the Comfort Inn at the Town Line it is 40 MPH. After The Comfort Inn it is 50 MPH until East Wilton. The Zip code on Wilton Road is 04938. *'''Front Street'''- Front Street is a Street behind Downtown. There are a few houses before


strong

the towns of Industry (Industry, Maine) and New Sharon (New Sharon, Maine) to the east, Chesterville (Chesterville, Maine) to the south, Wilton (Wilton, Maine) to the southwest, Temple (Temple, Maine) to the west, and Strong (Strong, Maine) and New Vineyard (New Vineyard, Maine) to the north. Farmington is divided up into four local areas and is sometimes mapped as such. These areas are West Farmington, Fairbanks, Farmington Falls, and Farmington (downtown). All areas except

in 1879, transporting freight and tourists between Farmington (Farmington, Maine), Avon, Strong (Strong, Maine) and Phillips (Phillips, Maine). The narrow gauge line became part of the Sandy River and Rangeley Lakes Railroad in 1908, but was discontinued in 1935 during the Great Depression.

excelsior factory. It was noted as "one of the prettiest villages in the county." strong-me.htm George J. Varney, ''History of Strong, Maine'', Boston, Massachusetts 1886 The town borders the towns of New Vineyard (New Vineyard, Maine) to the east, Farmington (Farmington, Maine) to the south, and Temple (Temple, Maine) and Avon (Avon, Maine) to the west, and Freeman Township to the north. History Hill-farmers from


singing

was 1794's ''The Harmony of Maine'', which included anthems, fuging pieces, psalms and hymns, a number of which were secular. His songs were distinctively folky and down-to-earth. His contemporary Daniel Read, a Massachusetts-born musician who later moved to New Haven, Connecticut, was a popular musician who supported himself almost entirely off the sale of tunebooks. His first publication was entitled ''The American Singing Book; or, a New and Easy Guide to the Art of Psalmody Devised

for the Use of Singing Schools in America''. The title's use of ''psalmody'' is here referring to singing societies which were spreading across the country, and is used without religious connotations. '''Chester Greenwood''' (1858–1937) of Farmington, Maine invented the earmuff (earmuffs) in 1873, at the age of 15. Maine Secretary of State Kid's Page - Famous People He reportedly came


water power

water power attracted industry, including five lumber mills, two sash (window sash), blind (window shutter) and door factories, two brickyards (brickmaking), a foundry, a rake (Rake (tool)) factory, three gristmills, nearly a dozen carriage factories, a cheese factory, two corn (Maize) canning factories, two reaper machine factories, a spool (Bobbin) factory and a tannery (tanning).


years quot

'''Staples Pond''' is located in the town of Temple (Temple, Maine), Maine, in the United States. Some locals prefer to call it "Santa Claus Lake", because of its appearance from the air. Water from Staples Pond flows via Temple Stream to the Sandy River (Sandy River (Kennebec River)) in Farmington (Farmington, Maine), and thence to the Kennebec River.


singing+book

was 1794's ''The Harmony of Maine'', which included anthems, fuging pieces, psalms and hymns, a number of which were secular. His songs were distinctively folky and down-to-earth. His contemporary Daniel Read, a Massachusetts-born musician who later moved to New Haven, Connecticut, was a popular musician who supported himself almost entirely off the sale of tunebooks. His first publication was entitled ''The American Singing Book; or, a New and Easy Guide to the Art of Psalmody Devised for the Use of Singing Schools in America''. The title's use of ''psalmody'' is here referring to singing societies which were spreading across the country, and is used without religious connotations. '''Chester Greenwood''' (1858–1937) of Farmington, Maine invented the earmuff (earmuffs) in 1873, at the age of 15. Maine Secretary of State Kid's Page - Famous People He reportedly came up with the idea while ice skating, and had his grandmother sew tufts of fur between loops of wire. Dec. 4, 1858: It Was Very Cold the Day Chester Greenwood Was Born His patent was for improved ear protectors. He manufactured these ear protectors, providing jobs for people in the Farmington area, for nearly 60 years. 230px thumb right A portrait of Supply Belcher, executed during his lifetime (Image:Supply Belcher portrait.jpg) '''Supply Belcher''' (29 March 1751 – 9 June 1836) was an American (United States) composer, singer, and compiler of tune books. He was one of the members of the so-called First New England School, a group of mostly self-taught composers who created sacred vocal music for local choirs. He was active first in Lexington, Massachusetts, then eventually moved to Farmington, Maine. Like most of his colleagues, Belcher could not make music his main occupation, and worked as tax assessor, schoolmaster, town clerk, and so on; nevertheless he was considerably well-known for his musical activities, and even dubbed 'the Handell (George Frideric Handel) sic of Maine' by a local newspaper. Most of his works survive in ''The Harmony of Maine'', a collection Belcher published himself in Boston in 1794. After the war, in 1785, he moved first to Hallowell (now Augusta (Augusta, Maine)), Maine with his family, and then six years later they moved to Farmington (Farmington, Maine), where Belcher remained until his death. He became a prominent citizen, serving as tax assessor, schoolmaster, town clerk, justice of the peace, magistrate, and even representative to the Massachusetts General Court. He was very successful in his musical activities as well: he apparently led Farmington's first choir, and attracted favourable reviews. When writing about the composer in his diary, Rev. Paul Coffin wrote: "Squire Belcher called his singers together and gave us an evening of sweet music." Butler, p. 159 After the 1796 performance of Belcher's ''Ordination Anthem'', parts of which bear resemblance to Handel (George Frideric Handel)'s famous Messiah chorus, a Maine newspaper dubbed the composer 'the Handell of Maine'. Belcher was also active as violinist and singer. He died in Farmington on June 9, 1836. * 1870 Maine Central leased the competing standard gauge Portland & Kennebec Railroad from Portland (Portland, Maine) to Skowhegan (Skowhegan, Maine) as the "lower road" mainline and Skowhegan branch; and completed the "back road" mainline from Royal Junction (Yarmouth, Maine) to Danville Junction (Auburn, Maine). * 1871 Maine Central leased the Belfast (Belfast, Maine) branch, Farmington (Farmington, Maine) branch, and Lewiston (Lewiston, Maine) branch. * 1882 Maine Central leased the European and North American Railway as the Eastern Division mainline from Bangor (Bangor, Maine) to Vanceboro (Vanceboro, Maine); and gained majority stock control of Maine coastal steamboat service. Predecessor lines * The '''Androscoggin Railroad''' was chartered in 1848, and completed a Portland gauge railroad from Leeds Junction (Leeds, Maine) to West Farmington (Farmington, Maine) in 1859. The line was converted to standard gauge upon completion of a standard gauge extension south from Leeds Junction to Brunswick (Brunswick, Maine) in 1861 with a branch from Crowley's Junction to Lewiston (Lewiston, Maine). A bridge across the Sandy River (Sandy River (Kennebec River)) brought the railroad to Farmington in 1870. It was leased as the Maine Central Farmington branch and Lewiston branch in 1871 and purchased in 1911. '''Staples Pond''' is located in the town of Temple (Temple, Maine), Maine, in the United States. Some locals prefer to call it "Santa Claus Lake", because of its appearance from the air. Water from Staples Pond flows via Temple Stream to the Sandy River (Sandy River (Kennebec River)) in Farmington (Farmington, Maine), and thence to the Kennebec River.

Farmington, Maine

'''Farmington''' is the county seat of Franklin County (Franklin County, Maine), Maine, United States. As of the 2010 census (United States Census, 2010), the town population was 7,760. Farmington is home to the University of Maine at Farmington, the Nordica Memorial Auditorium, the Homestead, and the annual Farmington Fair.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017