Assonet, Massachusetts

What is Assonet, Massachusetts known for?


football defensive

Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry , Abu Ayyub al-Masri, Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, Adjudication, Amana, Iowa, Amana Colonies, American football defensive schemes, American football strategy, American trade, Andre Iguodala, Ann Furedi, Arizona Football All America, Arizona Head Coaching Records, Arizona Wildcat Bowl History, Arizona Wildcats, Arizona Wildcats Football, Ashley Pérez Moza, Assonet, Massachusetts, Avenue of the Saints


national wild

, M-112 (Michigan highway), M101A1, MACV-SOG, Machinist's Mate, Machinist Mate, Magnetic Poetry, Maya Lin, Merck & Co., Miami Riot 1980, Miami language, Michael Kirwan, Middle Fork Kentucky River, Military parlance, Monk's Mound, Monomoy Island, Morton Hospital and Medical Center, NASA, National Clandestine Service, National Origins Quota Act, National Security Strategy of the United States, National Wild


crystal

and on a portion of where Hathaway Park now sits, opened and provided many weapons to Union soldiers during the Civil War (American Civil War). Also built was the Crystal Springs Bleachery and Dying Company, which brought millhousing to a small area of the village, and employed many from town and neighboring Fall River (Fall River, Massachusetts), also known for industry. North Church (1809), Town Hall (1888), and the Guilford H. Hathaway Library (1895) were all constructed in the same

shows Profile Rock, which is said to be the image of Chief Massasoit. In the mid-20th century, Assonet began to remove itself from the commercial industrial scene. Most of its mills closed during this period, following the Second World War. The N. R. Davis Gun Factory burned to the ground in 1925; and the Crystal Springs Bleachery, now New England Textile, burned in 1955. (Remnants of the latter can be found by Mill Pond.) The former Monument Manufacturing Company on Mill & Locust Sts

. Not far away is Freetown Fire Department Company 1, constructed in 1948. 21st century The 21st century has brought a renewed spirit to Assonet. The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company (Stop & Shop) opened a new 1.3 million square foot (120,000 m 2 ) distribution center on near the site of the Crystal Springs Bleachery after it received a tax increment financing agreement from the town, which has saved the company almost $2


prominent buildings

on the outskirts of the village in present-day Fall River. The main settled area of the village was known to support the British, even harboring a general before he fled to Newport, Rhode Island. The white chimneys with black rings on many of the oldest houses are indicative of homes that supported the British. As the 18th century closed, churches and other more prominent buildings began to pop up around the village, including the 1794 construction of Village School, then the office of a Raynham (Raynham, Massachusetts) lawyer. 19th century frame left North Church circa c. (Image:North Church, Assonet, Mass.jpg) 1900. The 19th century was perhaps the most industrious period in the history of Assonet. The village developed rapidly, with its combination of railroads (Rail transport), ships, its position on the stagecoach and mail (United States Postal Service) routes, and its factories (factory). The current Route 79 (Massachusetts Route 79) roughly follows the mail and stagecoach route from Rhode Island to Boston (Boston, Massachusetts), and the Green Dragon Tavern on South Main Street was a popular stopover along the route. The downtown area boasted shipbuilding and was an import export port, as well as a successful fishing industry. frame right John M. Deane (Image:JohnMDeane.jpg) was a native of Assonet, and a recipient of the Medal of Honor. The N. R. Davis Gun Manufactory, located near and on a portion of where Hathaway Park now sits, opened and provided many weapons to Union soldiers during the Civil War (American Civil War). Also built was the Crystal Springs Bleachery and Dying Company, which brought millhousing to a small area of the village, and employed many from town and neighboring Fall River (Fall River, Massachusetts), also known for industry. North Church (1809), Town Hall (1888), and the Guilford H. Hathaway Library (1895) were all constructed in the same small area on Taunton (Taunton, Massachusetts) Hill, and complimented the Village School nicely. The Town Hall has served as the municipal office building (1888–present), meeting hall (1888–1976), library (1888–1895), police station (1888–1978), and a variety of other functions. The second floor, literally a hall, was subdivided into office space in the mid-1970s. The Guilford Hathaway Library (b. 1895) served as the town's only library from its construction until the James White Library opened in East Freetown (East Freetown, Massachusetts) in 1947. The first Post Office in town opened in Assonet in 1811, and has operated continuously since then, first in a razed building on the corner of Elm and North Main Streets, later in a second razed building, and since 1962 at the facility on South Main Street near the former Assonet Star Market. The ZIP Code for Assonet is 02702. 20th century frame right This photo from a 1902 postcard shows Profile Rock, which is said to be the image of Chief Massasoit (Image:Profile Rock (Assonet).jpg). In the mid-20th century, Assonet began to remove itself from the commercial industrial scene. Most of its mills closed during this period, following the Second World War. The N. R. Davis Gun Factory burned to the ground in 1925; and the Crystal Springs Bleachery, now New England Textile, burned in 1955. (Remnants of the latter can be found by Mill Pond.) The former Monument Manufacturing Company on Mill & Locust Sts. was the largest domestic producer of sleeping bags during World War II. In the postwar period, the majority of villagers sought work outside of town, and farming also came back into common practice. This reverse trend would not last long. By the 1990s, the village began to develop again as the region was seen as a "great escape" for upperclass Boston workers. Next to the Hathaway Library is a local Verizon station, which is the home of one of the first regional dialing systems. Not far away is Freetown Fire Department Company 1, constructed in 1948. 21st century The 21st century has brought a renewed spirit to Assonet. The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company (Stop & Shop) opened a new 1.3 million square foot (120,000 m 2 ) distribution center on near Marcus Morton image 50px Seal of the Town of Freetown (Image:Seal of Freetown, Massachusetts.gif) * To be merged or split (updated by bot) ** 253 - 180 Solutions, 2002 Mitt Romney residency issue, 3C Highway, 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, Abu Ayyub al-Masri, Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, Adjudication, Amana, Iowa, Amana Colonies, American football defensive schemes, American football strategy, American trade, Andre Iguodala, Ann Furedi, Arizona Football All America, Arizona Head Coaching Records, Arizona Wildcat Bowl History, Arizona Wildcats, Arizona Wildcats Football, Ashley Pérez Moza, Assonet, Massachusetts, Avenue of the Saints, Banking in the United States, Barbara La Marr, Basic School, Beale's Cut, BearingPoint, Bell Helicopter Textron, Big Sunflower River, Bingham Canyon, Black Hills, Black Patch Tobacco Wars, Blizzard v. BnetD, Bob Neal, Boy in the bubble, Broadwater County, Montana, Broadway Musical, COMSIXTHFLT, Cackalacky, Cahokia, California recall election, 2003, California recall election results, 2003, Carpathian Romani language, Casimir Pulaski Day, Central Powers, Chapter 1606 (G.I. Bill of Rights), Chapter 30 (G.I. Bill of Rights), Chapter 31 (G.I. Bill of Rights), Chapter 32 (G.I. Bill of Rights), Chapter 35 (G.I. Bill of Rights), Charles Keeling, Chef Menteur, Christian communism, Christine Sadler, Christine Sadler Coe, Christy Carlson Romano, Clinton health care plan, Closed-end leasing, Consequences of German Nazism, Continental (currency), Continental Dollar, Cornbread, Crittenden Compromise, Cross-Harbor Rail Tunnel, David Smith (sculptor), Do-Not-Call Implementation Act of 2003, Don Harris, DuPont Manual Magnet High School, Edward Orton, Elk River (East Tennessee), Elk River (North Carolina), Ethnicity (United States Census), Exhibition game, Federal jurisdiction, Fensler Films, Fiction based on the Vietnam War, First Church of Christ, Scientist, Flag Desecration Amendment, Flag desecration in the United States, Flags of the United States armed forces, Force Act of 1870, Fort De Soto Park, Fort Desoto, Fox River (Illinois), Fox Valley, Franklin Lavin, Free Soil, Free Soil Party, Gary Condit, Gay rights in the United States, Gene Ray, General Pulaski Memorial Day, Ghost detainee, Greensboro Four, Greensboro Sit-Ins, Hank Williams, Hanshi John Pachivas, Hawaii (island), Hawaii County, Hawaii, Hawaii discovery, Helena, Arkansas, Helena-West Helena, Arkansas, Hispano, History of Central Banking in the United States, Hoelscher-Buxkemper family, Hudson Valley, Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, Illegal immigration to the United States, Illinois language, Immigration Act of 1924, Indianapolis, Indiana, Inland Empire (Pacific Northwest), Inland Northwest, International response to the Holocaust, Interstate Highways in West Virginia, Ironworkers, Italian American, JTG Racing, James Morasco, Japanese Instrument of Surrender, Joel Spolsky, John Boy and Billy, John Craven USN, John E.W. Keely, Jordan Pundik, Jude Wanniski, Kennecott Copper Mine, Kentucky River, Kool-Aid, Kīlauea, Lake Pend Orielle, Legal education in the United States, Leonard Nimoy, List of British idioms, List of Hollywood movie studios, List of U.S. Highways in West Virginia, List of United States foreign interventions since 1945, List of United States military flags, List of United States military history events, List of World War II veterans, List of airports in Washington, List of towns in Oklahoma, Little 500, Lord Haw-Haw, Lua (martial art), Ludlow (town), Vermont, Ludlow (village), Vermont, M-112 (Michigan highway), M101A1, MACV-SOG, Machinist's Mate, Machinist Mate, Magnetic Poetry, Maya Lin, Merck & Co., Miami Riot 1980, Miami language, Michael Kirwan, Middle Fork Kentucky River, Military parlance, Monk's Mound, Monomoy Island, Morton Hospital and Medical Center, NASA, National Clandestine Service, National Origins Quota Act, National Security Strategy of the United States, National Wild and Scenic River, Nevada, Nevada Corporation, New Jersey in the 21st century, New York City secession, New York State Department of Education, New York State Education Department, North Central Romani, North Fork Kentucky River, North Fork Sun River, Oklahoma, Operation Rheinübung, Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority, Pan-African, Peace, Love and the Pennsylvania Turnpike, Phoenix, Arizona, Piedmont Triad, Poverty in the United States, Poverty line in the United States, Preston Station, Houston, Texas, Propaganda in the United States, Quonset Freeway, RNews, Race (United States Census), Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, Regiment of Mounted Riflemen, Results of the War of 1812, Richmond, VA MSA, Rivers Cuomo, Rogue Ales, Ron Harris (wrestler), Ronnie James Dio, Rule 144, Rural flight, San Bernardino County, California, San Francisco, California, Santa Susana Field Laboratory, Scouting in California, Selective Service Act, Shoe flinging, Significance of Venona, Silent Drill Platoon, Socialism with a human face, South Fork Kentucky River, St. Augusta Township, Minnesota, Stanford Ovshinsky, Student Loan Repayment Program, Studies and Observations Group, Sun River, Sunflower River, Sweetbay Supermarket, Tariff in American history, Taum Sauk Dam Failure, Tejano, Tennessee Smokies, The Carolinas, The New England Association of Schools & Colleges, Tod Sloan (jockey), Triple Alliance (1882), Tulip Time Festival, Tullio Arena, Tutition Assistance, UK-US heterologues A-Z, United States 6th Fleet, United States Army Air Corps, United States Department of Defense Aerospace Vehicle Designations, United States National Do Not Call Registry, United States dollar, Upstate New York's Statehood Movement, Urban Enterprise Zone, Ustaše, Vermonter, Vietnam War (lists), War of 1812, Wcom, West Helena, Arkansas, Western Los Angeles County Council, Will Peterson, William J. Kemeza, Willow Run, Wireless Age, Women's Little 500, X-Day, Yakov Smirnoff, Young Eagles


stone quot

used by southern New England Algonquian (Algonquian languages), means "stone". The -et is a locative suffix: "at the place of the stone". As the region is mainly a tidal marsh, the stone referenced is most likely Dighton Rock in the Taunton River next to Assonet Neck. The entire region was sold to the English in 1659 by the Wampanoag (Wampanoag people)s, but, due to the Algonquian (Algonquian peoples) mobile way of life and the splitting and recombining of social units, the Nipmucs may have been subject to or at the time part of the Wampanoags. The English settlement remained for many years a small fishing and farming village, growing to be Freetown (Freetown, Massachusetts)'s more industrious side by the end of the 18th century. By the end of the 19th century, Assonet had begun to slowly return to its origins, having less and less industry in town. At the beginning of the 21st century, the village has once again begun to expand rapidly. 17th century Assonet was settled on April 2, 1659, but a string of wars between English (Great Britain) settlers and the local Wampanoag Indians (Wampanoag people), including King Philip's War, prevented much permanent settlement until later. History shows the area existed as a proprietary (Proprietary community) settlement as early as 1680, and in 1683 Assonet and Fall River (Fall River, Massachusetts) were incorporated as the Town of Freetown (Freetown, Massachusetts), named as such because its settlers were Freemen (Freeman (colonial)). The earliest records of the town, from approximately 1680-1685, have been lost. Since then, records have been kept and maintained to trace back the town's legacy. Little development occurred after the incorporation of the town, other than the construction of houses and smaller businesses. 18th century Assonet became a prominent commercial fishing port in Southeastern Massachusetts in the 18th century, best known for its trout. Industry had also begun to develop, including grist mills, sawmills and a blacksmith's shop. As the century progressed, the villagers began to fall under the same strains as the rest of the colonists (thirteen colonies). Assonet was far enough east that it avoided many of the problems faced during the French and Indian War, but did feature in the Revolutionary War (American Revolutionary War). Skirmishes were fought in Assonet, and the Battle of Freetown was fought on the outskirts of the village in present-day Fall River. The main settled area of the village was known to support the British, even harboring a general before he fled to Newport, Rhode Island. The white chimneys with black rings on many of the oldest houses are indicative of homes that supported the British. As the 18th century closed, churches and other more prominent buildings began to pop up around the village, including the 1794 construction of Village School, then the office of a Raynham (Raynham, Massachusetts) lawyer. 19th century frame left North Church circa c. (Image:North Church, Assonet, Mass.jpg) 1900. The 19th century was perhaps the most industrious period in the history of Assonet. The village developed rapidly, with its combination of railroads (Rail transport), ships, its position on the stagecoach and mail (United States Postal Service) routes, and its factories (factory). The current Route 79 (Massachusetts Route 79) roughly follows the mail and stagecoach route from Rhode Island to Boston (Boston, Massachusetts), and the Green Dragon Tavern on South Main Street was a popular stopover along the route. The downtown area boasted shipbuilding and was an import export port, as well as a successful fishing industry. frame right John M. Deane (Image:JohnMDeane.jpg) was a native of Assonet, and a recipient of the Medal of Honor. The N. R. Davis Gun Manufactory, located near and on a portion of where Hathaway Park now sits, opened and provided many weapons to Union soldiers during the Civil War (American Civil War). Also built was the Crystal Springs Bleachery and Dying Company, which brought millhousing to a small area of the village, and employed many from town and neighboring Fall River (Fall River, Massachusetts), also known for industry. North Church (1809), Town Hall (1888), and the Guilford H. Hathaway Library (1895) were all constructed in the same small area on Taunton (Taunton, Massachusetts) Hill, and complimented the Village School nicely. The Town Hall has served as the municipal office building (1888–present), meeting hall (1888–1976), library (1888–1895), police station (1888–1978), and a variety of other functions. The second floor, literally a hall, was subdivided into office space in the mid-1970s. The Guilford Hathaway Library (b. 1895) served as the town's only library from its construction until the James White Library opened in East Freetown (East Freetown, Massachusetts) in 1947. The first Post Office in town opened in Assonet in 1811, and has operated continuously since then, first in a razed building on the corner of Elm and North Main Streets, later in a second razed building, and since 1962 at the facility on South Main Street near the former Assonet Star Market. The ZIP Code for Assonet is 02702. 20th century frame right This photo from a 1902 postcard shows Profile Rock, which is said to be the image of Chief Massasoit (Image:Profile Rock (Assonet).jpg). In the mid-20th century, Assonet began to remove itself from the commercial industrial scene. Most of its mills closed during this period, following the Second World War. The N. R. Davis Gun Factory burned to the ground in 1925; and the Crystal Springs Bleachery, now New England Textile, burned in 1955. (Remnants of the latter can be found by Mill Pond.) The former Monument Manufacturing Company on Mill & Locust Sts. was the largest domestic producer of sleeping bags during World War II. In the postwar period, the majority of villagers sought work outside of town, and farming also came back into common practice. This reverse trend would not last long. By the 1990s, the village began to develop again as the region was seen as a "great escape" for upperclass Boston workers. Next to the Hathaway Library is a local Verizon station, which is the home of one of the first regional dialing systems. Not far away is Freetown Fire Department Company 1, constructed in 1948. 21st century The 21st century has brought a renewed spirit to Assonet. The Stop & Shop Supermarket Company (Stop & Shop) opened a new 1.3 million square foot (120,000 m 2 ) distribution center on near Marcus Morton image 50px Seal of the Town of Freetown (Image:Seal of Freetown, Massachusetts.gif) * To be merged or split (updated by bot) ** 253 - 180 Solutions, 2002 Mitt Romney residency issue, 3C Highway, 54th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry, Abu Ayyub al-Masri, Abu Hamza al-Muhajir, Adjudication, Amana, Iowa, Amana Colonies, American football defensive schemes, American football strategy, American trade, Andre Iguodala, Ann Furedi, Arizona Football All America, Arizona Head Coaching Records, Arizona Wildcat Bowl History, Arizona Wildcats, Arizona Wildcats Football, Ashley Pérez Moza, Assonet, Massachusetts, Avenue of the Saints, Banking in the United States, Barbara La Marr, Basic School, Beale's Cut, BearingPoint, Bell Helicopter Textron, Big Sunflower River, Bingham Canyon, Black Hills, Black Patch Tobacco Wars, Blizzard v. BnetD, Bob Neal, Boy in the bubble, Broadwater County, Montana, Broadway Musical, COMSIXTHFLT, Cackalacky, Cahokia, California recall election, 2003, California recall election results, 2003, Carpathian Romani language, Casimir Pulaski Day, Central Powers, Chapter 1606 (G.I. Bill of Rights), Chapter 30 (G.I. Bill of Rights), Chapter 31 (G.I. Bill of Rights), Chapter 32 (G.I. Bill of Rights), Chapter 35 (G.I. Bill of Rights), Charles Keeling, Chef Menteur, Christian communism, Christine Sadler, Christine Sadler Coe, Christy Carlson Romano, Clinton health care plan, Closed-end leasing, Consequences of German Nazism, Continental (currency), Continental Dollar, Cornbread, Crittenden Compromise, Cross-Harbor Rail Tunnel, David Smith (sculptor), Do-Not-Call Implementation Act of 2003, Don Harris, DuPont Manual Magnet High School, Edward Orton, Elk River (East Tennessee), Elk River (North Carolina), Ethnicity (United States Census), Exhibition game, Federal jurisdiction, Fensler Films, Fiction based on the Vietnam War, First Church of Christ, Scientist, Flag Desecration Amendment, Flag desecration in the United States, Flags of the United States armed forces, Force Act of 1870, Fort De Soto Park, Fort Desoto, Fox River (Illinois), Fox Valley, Franklin Lavin, Free Soil, Free Soil Party, Gary Condit, Gay rights in the United States, Gene Ray, General Pulaski Memorial Day, Ghost detainee, Greensboro Four, Greensboro Sit-Ins, Hank Williams, Hanshi John Pachivas, Hawaii (island), Hawaii County, Hawaii, Hawaii discovery, Helena, Arkansas, Helena-West Helena, Arkansas, Hispano, History of Central Banking in the United States, Hoelscher-Buxkemper family, Hudson Valley, Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act, Illegal Immigration Reform and Immigrant Responsibility Act of 1996, Illegal immigration to the United States, Illinois language, Immigration Act of 1924, Indianapolis, Indiana, Inland Empire (Pacific Northwest), Inland Northwest, International response to the Holocaust, Interstate Highways in West Virginia, Ironworkers, Italian American, JTG Racing, James Morasco, Japanese Instrument of Surrender, Joel Spolsky, John Boy and Billy, John Craven USN, John E.W. Keely, Jordan Pundik, Jude Wanniski, Kennecott Copper Mine, Kentucky River, Kool-Aid, Kīlauea, Lake Pend Orielle, Legal education in the United States, Leonard Nimoy, List of British idioms, List of Hollywood movie studios, List of U.S. Highways in West Virginia, List of United States foreign interventions since 1945, List of United States military flags, List of United States military history events, List of World War II veterans, List of airports in Washington, List of towns in Oklahoma, Little 500, Lord Haw-Haw, Lua (martial art), Ludlow (town), Vermont, Ludlow (village), Vermont, M-112 (Michigan highway), M101A1, MACV-SOG, Machinist's Mate, Machinist Mate, Magnetic Poetry, Maya Lin, Merck & Co., Miami Riot 1980, Miami language, Michael Kirwan, Middle Fork Kentucky River, Military parlance, Monk's Mound, Monomoy Island, Morton Hospital and Medical Center, NASA, National Clandestine Service, National Origins Quota Act, National Security Strategy of the United States, National Wild and Scenic River, Nevada, Nevada Corporation, New Jersey in the 21st century, New York City secession, New York State Department of Education, New York State Education Department, North Central Romani, North Fork Kentucky River, North Fork Sun River, Oklahoma, Operation Rheinübung, Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority, Pan-African, Peace, Love and the Pennsylvania Turnpike, Phoenix, Arizona, Piedmont Triad, Poverty in the United States, Poverty line in the United States, Preston Station, Houston, Texas, Propaganda in the United States, Quonset Freeway, RNews, Race (United States Census), Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina, Regiment of Mounted Riflemen, Results of the War of 1812, Richmond, VA MSA, Rivers Cuomo, Rogue Ales, Ron Harris (wrestler), Ronnie James Dio, Rule 144, Rural flight, San Bernardino County, California, San Francisco, California, Santa Susana Field Laboratory, Scouting in California, Selective Service Act, Shoe flinging, Significance of Venona, Silent Drill Platoon, Socialism with a human face, South Fork Kentucky River, St. Augusta Township, Minnesota, Stanford Ovshinsky, Student Loan Repayment Program, Studies and Observations Group, Sun River, Sunflower River, Sweetbay Supermarket, Tariff in American history, Taum Sauk Dam Failure, Tejano, Tennessee Smokies, The Carolinas, The New England Association of Schools & Colleges, Tod Sloan (jockey), Triple Alliance (1882), Tulip Time Festival, Tullio Arena, Tutition Assistance, UK-US heterologues A-Z, United States 6th Fleet, United States Army Air Corps, United States Department of Defense Aerospace Vehicle Designations, United States National Do Not Call Registry, United States dollar, Upstate New York's Statehood Movement, Urban Enterprise Zone, Ustaše, Vermonter, Vietnam War (lists), War of 1812, Wcom, West Helena, Arkansas, Western Los Angeles County Council, Will Peterson, William J. Kemeza, Willow Run, Wireless Age, Women's Little 500, X-Day, Yakov Smirnoff, Young Eagles


1950

. Schools From the early 19th century until 1950, Freetown (Freetown, Massachusetts) was serviced by several neighborhood grammar schools, at least three of which existed in Assonet. South School '''South School''', 1869–1950, currently exists at the corner of Copicut Road and South Main Street. It was a three-room schoolhouse used initially for grades 1-8, and later for grades 3-6 and "special class." Grades 3-4

. It is currently unoccupied, but remains in the possession of the American Legion. Structure It is a one-story, ground-level building with three rooms. There is no discernible cellar. The building is constructed of brick, and is covered in white clapboards. Most of the windows have been removed or boarded over, so an analysis cannot be provided. There were windows on the East and West walls that are no longer visible (2012). Village School '''Village School''', closed in 1950, currently

exists on Taunton Hill between the Town Hall and North Church, being the elder of those two buildings by 94 and 15 years, respectively. It began as a lawyer's office in 1794, then became a string of schools. Originally, the minister of North Church served as the schoolmaster. In the 1850s it was a private school, the Assonet Academy. It was purchased by the town circa 1903 and used as a grammar school until 1950 for grades 1-8, and later grades 1 and 2. In the 1940s, grades 1-2 were on the left


time part

Category:Villages in Bristol County, Massachusetts Category:Populated places established in 1659 Category:Populated coastal places in Massachusetts Category:Freetown, Massachusetts Category:Providence metropolitan area Category:Villages in Massachusetts Category:National Register of Historic Places in Bristol County, Massachusetts Category:Historic districts in Bristol County, Massachusetts Freetown is currently divided into two villages, which historically developed almost entirely independent from one another: Assonet (Assonet, Massachusetts) and East Freetown (East Freetown, Massachusetts). History Freetown was first settled by the English on April 2, 1659 on the banks of the Assonet River, when the areas of Assonet (Assonet, Massachusetts) and Fall River (Fall River, Massachusetts) were purchased for 20 coats, two rugs, two iron pots, two kettles, one little kettle, eight pairs of shoes, six pairs of stockings, one dozen hoes, one dozen hatchets, and two yards of broadcloth from the Wampanoag Indians (Wampanoag people) in an exchange known as Ye Freemen's Purchase. Its population slowly grew, and it existed as a Proprietary settlement until it was officially incorporated in July 1683. It remained a part of Plymouth Colony until that colony merged with the Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1685. The town was the fifth municipal corporation established in Bristol County (Bristol County, Massachusetts). ''A History of the Town of Freetown, Massachusetts with an Account of the Old Home Festival, July 30th, 1902''. Assonet Village Improvement Society (1902). Transportation Freetown is serviced by two exits on Route 24 (Massachusetts Route 24) (the "Fall River Expressway") in Assonet (Assonet, Massachusetts) and one exit on Route 140 (Massachusetts Route 140) (the "New Bedford Expressway") in East Freetown (East Freetown, Massachusetts). Assonet is also situated on Route 79 (Massachusetts Route 79), and East Freetown is situated on Route 18 (Massachusetts Route 18). Along the top of the seal are the words "Town of Freetown, Mass." in all capital letters. Before the T in "Town" and after the final S in "Mass." are star (Star polygon)s. Along the bottom of the seal are the words "Incorporated 1683" (also in capital letters). The image of a kettle over a cooking fire is meant to invoke Ye Freemen's Purchase, the agreement by which the lands now known as Assonet (Assonet, Massachusetts) and Fall River (Fall River, Massachusetts) were purchased by the English (Great Britain) settlers from the local Wampanoag (Wampanoag people) Indians (Indigenous Peoples of the Americas). Religion Freetown has historically had Christian and Quaker denominations. Each side of town currently has its own Roman Catholic church, along with a United Church of Christ church in Assonet and a variety of Christian churches in East Freetown. For more information on churches in Assonet (Assonet, Massachusetts) and East Freetown (East Freetown, Massachusetts), see each village's independent article. The '''Taunton River''' (historically also called the "Taunton Great River"), is a river in southeastern Massachusetts in the United States. It arises from the confluence of the Town River and Matfield River, in the town of Bridgewater (Bridgewater, Massachusetts). From there it meanders through the towns of Halifax (Halifax, Massachusetts), Middleborough (Middleborough, Massachusetts) and Raynham (Raynham, Massachusetts), through the city of Taunton (Taunton, Massachusetts) for which it is named, the towns of Berkley (Berkley, Massachusetts), Dighton (Dighton, Massachusetts), Somerset (Somerset, Massachusetts), and the Assonet (Assonet, Massachusetts) section of Freetown (Freetown, Massachusetts), to Fall River (Fall River, Massachusetts) where it joins Mount Hope Bay, an arm of Narragansett Bay. budget communities Freetown (Freetown, Massachusetts), Assonet (Assonet, Massachusetts), and Lakeville (Lakeville, Massachusetts) graduates '''Apponequet Regional High School''' opened September 21, 1959, and serves secondary academic education students from


service national

, M-112 (Michigan highway), M101A1, MACV-SOG, Machinist's Mate, Machinist Mate, Magnetic Poetry, Maya Lin, Merck & Co., Miami Riot 1980, Miami language, Michael Kirwan, Middle Fork Kentucky River, Military parlance, Monk's Mound, Monomoy Island, Morton Hospital and Medical Center, NASA, National Clandestine Service, National Origins Quota Act, National Security Strategy of the United States, National Wild


story building

troops . Currently, the Town Hall uses it for storage. Structure It is a two story building, with two rooms on the upper (primary) floor. The lower floor is a two-room cellar, and partially underground. The foundation is brick, and the building itself is wood. The exterior is white clapboards, and the front staircase has a portico and both wooden and iron railings. A cupola adorns the center of the roof, and the windows are six-over-one. The interior of the building is divided


successful fishing

follows the mail and stagecoach route from Rhode Island to Boston (Boston, Massachusetts), and the Green Dragon Tavern on South Main Street was a popular stopover along the route. The downtown area boasted shipbuilding and was an import export port, as well as a successful fishing industry. frame right John M. Deane (Image:JohnMDeane.jpg) was a native of Assonet, and a recipient of the Medal of Honor. The N. R. Davis Gun Manufactory, located near

Assonet, Massachusetts

'''Assonet''' is one of two villages in the town of Freetown, Massachusetts in Bristol County (Bristol County, Massachusetts), Massachusetts, United States. An original part of the town, Assonet was settled in 1659 along with the city of Fall River (Fall River, Massachusetts), then a part of Freetown. It rests on the banks of the Assonet River. As of the 2000 census, the village had a total population of 4,084; up from 3,614 in 1990.

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017