Agros, Cyprus

What is Agros, Cyprus known for?


architectural quot" and CURRENT_SESSION=CURRENT_SESSION and "21"="21

Douzelage.org: Home publisher www.douzelage.org accessdate 2009-10-21 Bellagio (Italian region) Bellagio

; Discussions regarding membership are also in hand with three further towns (Agros (Agros, Cyprus) in Cyprus, Škofja Loka in Slovenia, and Tryavna

in Bulgaria). ref name "


traditional

Agrotourism Local tourists were attracted to Agros from the early stages of Cyprus Agrotourism inception. Accommodation can be found at traditionally built hotels, as well as at many bed and breakfast rooms in traditional homes. The village maintains its traditional character and offers a natural and built with significant historical, religious and cultural sites. Local visitor attractions include the views of the mountain, walking in the village narrow streets

, natural trails, the traditional local food (Cuisine of Cyprus) and wine (Cyprus wine) served at traditional taverns and the produce of the village promoted by the in-house shops of the local enterprises. Rose bushes Cultivation Agros roses bush - of the species Rosa damascena – owe its proliferation to the late Nearchos Klirides who in 1917 as a school teacher in his native village of Agros founded the "Pupils Association for the Dissemination of the Rose bush"

in Limassol Cyprus - Cyprus Guide publisher Cyprusedirectory.com date 2006-11-25 accessdate 2012-04-04 The Church of “Timios Prodromos” East of the village, in the midst of the traditional houses, the church of “Timios Prodromos” (John the Baptist) was constructed around 1860. It is due to the initiative and the contributions of the inhabitants that it was made. It is of the Basilica style with tiles on the roof. It is 100 feet long and 25 feet wide. It is unique


made beautiful

and the surrounding wall is 4 ½ feet thick. The steeple is a real sight, tall and adjacent to the church’s north-east corner, bearing three large bells. Internally it is whitewashed but with no hagiographies. The High Altar remains the same, having been saved during the demolition of the monastery. The icon screen it the church’s special treasure. It is woodcut. It bears carefully made, beautiful icons of the saints that were made by the renowned hagiographer Solonas Fragkoulis from 1930 until 1934. Inside it is flat and quite spacious, a women’s loft having been added. The women’s loft was constructed later on in 1955. The icon dedicated to the Virgin Mary is still in existence and it is quite old (1856). This icon was covered by a silver, painted cover. This was kept until 1987 when the unveiling of the holy icon was performed. This icon has been preserved and today it can be found in the nearby little church, which was constructed in 1990 so as to remind the existence of the “Monastery of Great Agros” in this area. Along with this old icon, there are some other extant items from the monastery such as a piece of the icon screen and the icon of Christ. It celebrates on the 21st of November, the day of the Virgin Mary’s Presentation to the Temple. A large fair takes place and many are the faithful that come to kneel before Her holy icon. Discussions regarding membership are also in hand with three further towns (Agros (Agros, Cyprus) in Cyprus, Škofja Loka in Slovenia, and Tryavna in Bulgaria). class "wikitable"


Festivals

with great success. International relations Twin towns – Sister cities Agros is a member of the Douzelage, a unique town twinning association of 27 towns across the European Union. This active town twinning began in 1991 and there are regular events, such as a produce market from each of the other countries and festivals.

) * Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM) — team contest for undergraduates Twin towns - Sister cities Meerssen is a founding member of the Douzelage, a unique town twinning association of 24 towns across the European Union. This active town twinning began in 1991 and there are regular events, such as a produce market from each of the other countries and festivals. ref name "Douzelage">

in Bulgaria). ref name "


traditional arts

couple asked him to become the best man at their wedding and then christen their child. And he did so. He also decided to name the baby after his own name, Solon. Solonas in corporation with the “Association of Farmers and Friends of Agros”, the members of the Executive Council and the help of the entire village organized the museum. The building was donated by the church. Traditional Arts Occupation The rosewater In the village Agros, you can find a special kind of beautiful and fragrant roses. The locals use them to produce the famous rose water.Rose water is produced from “rodi damaskini” which is a special cultivation of roses. The wide spread of these roses was made by Nearchos Kliridis. These roses have a beautiful scent and they are the most adequate for the production of rose water. Some years later, Nearchos Kliridis has brought to the village the first still, which is a necessary tool for the production of rosewater.The traditional way of rose water production requires the use of a still which is composed of a cauldron and a barrel. The barrel must be full of water. Below we describe briefly the procedure for the rose water making:The roses are placed in the cauldron with plenty of water. For every kg of roses you must add half kg of water. In the meanwhile, the fire is turned on and the mixture in the cauldron is simmering. The steam which is created is going through a copper pipe into the barrel. In the barrel, the steam is liquefied and become rose water with incredible scent. For each kg of roses which is used in this procedure, Discussions regarding membership are also in hand with three further towns (Agros (Agros, Cyprus) in Cyprus, Škofja Loka in Slovenia, and Tryavna in Bulgaria). class "wikitable"


membership

; Discussions regarding membership are also in hand with three further towns (Agros (Agros, Cyprus) in Cyprus, Škofja Loka in Slovenia, and Tryavna

;DouzelageMembers" Discussions regarding membership are also in hand with three further towns (Agros (Agros, Cyprus) in Cyprus, Škofja Loka in Slovenia, and Tryavna in Bulgaria).

Towns publisher www.douzelage.org accessdate 2009-10-21 Discussions regarding membership are also in hand with three further towns (Agros (Agros, Cyprus) in Cyprus, Škofja Loka in Slovenia, and Tryavna in Bulgaria).


team fighting

. When Petros finished school, he left for the capital where he worked as a grocer. He was also a member of a Christian Union (OXEN). Some years later he became a member of EOKA which was a team fighting against the British. He was in the same team with Iakovos Patatsos and Panayiotis Georgiadis, two other great heroes. He was responsible for the recruitment of the team as well as to hide and transport secret weapons and mail. He was a strong person both in body and soul, so he decided to recruit the assault team of Nicosia which was in real need of fighters. On 14 June 1956 he participated in a bomb attack against the British. The attack took place in the main post office. Petros tried to approach the building but an English guard saw him and shot him. He managed to walk for some meters and the other members of his team took him to the hospital. The doctors gave their best but it was too late. The gun went through his right lung and his stomach. Petros died the next morning, on 15 June. The entire village cried for this descent young man. He was buried in Agros some days later. Petros Iliadis sacrificed his life for his country showing that he was a real fighter and patriot. Churches Church of "Panagia Eleousa" The so-called «Agios Theofanis en to megalo Agro» (Saint Theofanis in the Great Agros), the firm fighter of the Icon Wars and prior of what was then the Monastery of “Panagia Eleousa” (Blessed Virgin Mary the Merciful) who descended from Asia Minor, had been condemned and driven away. He was exiled to Samothraki in 817 AD and died there. From 817 until 842 (the era of Iconoclasm) this firm supporter faithfully performed his duties. The prior was condemned because he refused to subscribe to the Imperial Decrees, which turned against the icons. The monks living with him in the same monastery (preserving the same name that was dedicated to “Panagia Eleousa”) in Asia Minor, decided to also come to Cyprus after his death. Having come to Cyprus, they resided in a cave in the region of the village Agros for some period. It is not known for how long they stayed in the cave. In 817 they also brought the icon of “Panagia Eleousa” to the monastery in the Agros village. The monastery, being packed with monks, was in operating regularly. Later on, between the 16th and 17th century, a large-scale epidemic of the deadly disease cholera struck the area. In order to protect themselves from the epidemic, all the inhabitants moved and constructed their houses right outside the monastery, under the wing of the Virgin Mary. Thus the village of Agros was created. The monastery properly functioned until 1830. Afterwards, the monastery no longer hosting any monks, the Metropolitan Diocese started to let out the monastery’s cells. To some degree they were exploiting the monastery. This tactic continued until 1880. We ought to mention that during the Turkish domination people granted their estates to the monastery so as to avoid the taxes that were enforced on them. However, the inhabitants rose up and started having claims themselves. One of them had suggested that if the monastery got demolished then the Diocese would no longer preserve its rights. And so it was done. In 1894 they demolished the monastery. When the Metropolitan Bishop went to perform a liturgy in the monastery he found himself facing it demolished in astonishment. This was not accepted by the Metropolitan Diocese and as a result they imposed a fine on the inhabitants. In that same year and right on the same spot, the inhabitants started building today’s church, which still exists now at the center of the Agros village, at their own initiative. The operations ended in 1909. It is a cross-like structure with a dome. It is quite a big church that can accommodate up to 1500 of the faithful. Externally it is made of local stone. The Church is 97 feet long and 48 feet wide. The dome’s height is 49 feet and the surrounding wall is 4 ½ feet thick. The steeple is a real sight, tall and adjacent to the church’s north-east corner, bearing three large bells. Internally it is whitewashed but with no hagiographies. The High Altar remains the same, having been saved during the demolition of the monastery. The icon screen it the church’s special treasure. It is woodcut. It bears carefully made, beautiful icons of the saints that were made by the renowned hagiographer Solonas Fragkoulis from 1930 until 1934. Inside it is flat and quite spacious, a women’s loft having been added. The women’s loft was constructed later on in 1955. The icon dedicated to the Virgin Mary is still in existence and it is quite old (1856). This icon was covered by a silver, painted cover. This was kept until 1987 when the unveiling of the holy icon was performed. This icon has been preserved and today it can be found in the nearby little church, which was constructed in 1990 so as to remind the existence of the “Monastery of Great Agros” in this area. Along with this old icon, there are some other extant items from the monastery such as a piece of the icon screen and the icon of Christ. It celebrates on the 21st of November, the day of the Virgin Mary’s Presentation to the Temple. A large fair takes place and many are the faithful that come to kneel before Her holy icon. Discussions regarding membership are also in hand with three further towns (Agros (Agros, Cyprus) in Cyprus, Škofja Loka in Slovenia, and Tryavna in Bulgaria). class "wikitable"


manufacture

by the British for “having paraded in Agros without a written permit by the Commander of Lemesos”. In several residences of Agros there were many guerrilla hideouts. The first guerrilla hideout was in the home of Kyriacou Polykarpou. Stylianos Lenas would manufacture grenades there. When the hideout was compromised, Lenas continued to manufacture grenades in a hideout in another village. As we have already said, the headquarters of Agros was also in a hideout in Agros. The first ever curfew

for health as it can cure several illnesses.The majority of the visitors prefer the sweet made of walnuts (karidaki).The manufacture of these sweets lasts two days. They are put in syrup which is made of water and sugar.The women from the village make another delicious sweet the “machalepi”. It is usually prepared during summer and it is served cold with rose water, water and another traditional liquid made of rose and with red color.In conclusion, in Agros you can find many delicacies that will amaze


events

. The patriotism and strength of the people of Agros were recorded on the pages of the Greek and Cypriot history. Following there is a report on the contribution of the people of Agros to the national fights based on a relevant chapter of the book “Agros, I Eptalofi tis Pitsilias”*. Greek Revolution 1821 After the tragic events of the 9th of July 1821, the Exarch of the Metropolis of Kiti sought shelter in Agros. In particular, he undertook the managing of the property of the Monastery

with great success. International relations Twin towns – Sister cities Agros is a member of the Douzelage, a unique town twinning association of 27 towns across the European Union. This active town twinning began in 1991 and there are regular events, such as a produce market from each of the other countries and festivals.

) * Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM) — team contest for undergraduates Twin towns - Sister cities Meerssen is a founding member of the Douzelage, a unique town twinning association of 24 towns across the European Union. This active town twinning began in 1991 and there are regular events, such as a produce market from each of the other countries and festivals. ref name "Douzelage">


regular

with great success. International relations Twin towns – Sister cities Agros is a member of the Douzelage, a unique town twinning association of 27 towns across the European Union. This active town twinning began in 1991 and there are regular events, such as a produce market from each of the other countries and festivals.

) * Mathematical Contest in Modeling (MCM) — team contest for undergraduates Twin towns - Sister cities Meerssen is a founding member of the Douzelage, a unique town twinning association of 24 towns across the European Union. This active town twinning began in 1991 and there are regular events, such as a produce market from each of the other countries and festivals. ref name "Douzelage">

in Bulgaria). ref name "

Agros, Cyprus

established_title Mayor established_date area_magnitude unit_pref Imperial area_footnotes area_total_km2 area_land_km2 area_metro_km2 population_as_of 2011 population_footnotes population_note population_total 804 population_density_km2 population_blank1_title Demonym population_blank1 Agrotes timezone EET (Eastern European Time) utc_offset +2 timezone_DST EEST (Eastern European Summer Time) utc_offset_DST +3 latd 34 latm 55 lats latNS N longd 33 longm 1 longs longEW E coordinates_type region:CY_type:city coordinates_display display inline,title elevation_footnotes elevation_m 1100 elevation_ft postal_code_type PostCode postal_code 4860 area_code blank_name blank_info blank1_name blank1_info website http: www.agros.org.cy footnotes

'''Agros''' ( ) is a village built on the Troödos Mountains, in the region of Pitsilia, in southwest Cyprus, which has built amphitheatrically among high mountains at an altitude of 1100 metres with a population of approximately 1,000. Agros is one of the most interesting villages of Cyprus and the Pitsilia area. The village is located 45 minutes away from the cities of Nicosia and Limassol, 20 minutes from Troödos Square and 80 minutes from the international airports (List of airports in Cyprus) of Larnaca (Larnaca International Airport) and Paphos (Paphos International Airport).

Search by keywords:


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017