Places Known For

wooden buildings


Gangneung

of the famous Korean scholar Yulgok (1536–1584) (whose image is on the South Korean 5,000 Won note) and his mother Saimdang (1504–1551) (whose image is on the 50,000 Won note.) In 1963, the Ojukheon Museum was designated as National Cultural Heritage No. 165. It includes one of the oldest wooden buildings in Korea. Several shrines and old residential buildings deliver insight into the lives of these famous Koreans. Next to the Ojukheon Museum there is the Gangneung Municipal Museum which shows folklore

wooden buildings in Korea. Several shrines and old residential buildings deliver insight into the lives of these famous Koreans. * *


Tyumen

on the high bank of the Tura River around the foundation site of the city. The city consisted of one and two story wooden buildings, surrounded by a number of villages. With time, the territory of the city was developed and extended by including the surrounding villages. Present-day Tyumen has a decentralized feel. When viewed from above, Tyumen appears to be a collection of low-rise towns with occasional clusters of tall buildings. Two areas of the city, Yamalskaya Sloboda and Republic Street are noted for their historic character. These areas are dominated by old brick and wooden merchant houses and buildings, with the occasional intrusion of mid-century Soviet low-rise buildings. thumb left Yamskaya Sloboda (File:Tyumen Historic Center Yamskaya Sloboda.jpg) '''Bukharskaya Sloboda''' - a Historic residential area on the low bank of the Tura river. This area is mostly made up of very old one and two story wooden buildings. The area is part of the Historical Center on the city and has a mostly Muslim population. '''Low bank Dormitories''' - this cluster of standard 9 story buildings was built on reclaimed land east of Bukharskaya Sloboda - Zareka and Vatutina. thumb left Center near FSS (File:Tyumen Town Center Near FSS.jpg) thumb right Center Republic St. (File:Tyumen Center 50Buildings.JPG) '''City Center''' - the area at east of the Historical town built between 1948 and 1978 and is mostly 4 and 5 story buildings. Earlier buildings in this area have individual designs, but the later buildings have a rectangular style. This area contains most of the political and business activities of the town. wikipedia:Tyumen


Grimsby, Ontario

birth_place Grimsby (Grimsby, Ontario), ON (Ontario), CAN (Canada) career_start 1973 DATE OF BIRTH March 30, 1953 PLACE OF BIRTH Grimsby (Grimsby, Ontario), ON (Ontario), CAN (Canada) DATE OF DEATH He was born in Tryon County, New York in 1761. His father served in the Indian Department. Robert was made a lieutenant in the department in 1780 and served during the American Revolution, leading raids into the interior of New York state. After the war, father and son settled in the Grand River (Grand River (Ontario)) valley and received several large land grants in the Niagara District (Niagara District, Upper Canada). Nelles built mills and a store on the current site of the town of Grimsby (Grimsby, Ontario). In 1797, he was appointed Indian agent in the region for a brief time. In 1800, he was elected to the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada in West York (York County, Ontario), 1st Lincoln


Mosjøen

wooden buildings in Northern Norway. * Fru Haugans Hotel, established in 1794 and today the oldest hotel in Northern Norway. * Dolstad Church, established in 1735. * The Town Park, established ca. 1900 and regarded as one of the finest public parks in Norway. Geography thumb Topographic situation. (File:Vefsn IMG 4762 mosjöen.JPG) Topography Mosjøen is situated in the lower part of the Vefsn Valley, where the rivers Vefsna and Skjerva flow


Fort Macleod

and frontier wood construction began to be replaced by brick and sandstone. In 1906 a fire devastated the downtown and destroyed most of the wooden buildings. From 1906 to 1912 Macleod had its greatest period of building, as more new brick and stone building replaced the destroyed wooden ones. Then in 1912 the CPR moved the divisional point and 200 jobs to Lethbridge, devastating the local economy. Fort Macleod ceased to grow, and in 1924 was forced to declare bankruptcy. Until the 1970s


Kiruna

, there is an Icehotel (Icehotel (Jukkasjärvi)) which is reconstructed annually for the winter. Kiruna Church, built in 1912, is one of Sweden's largest wooden buildings. The church exterior is built in a Gothic Revival style, while the altar is in Art Nouveau. In 2001, Kiruna Church was voted the most popular pre-1950 building in Sweden, in a country-wide poll conducted by the Swedish Travelling Exhibitions, a government agency connected to the Ministry of Culture. http

. This museum located in his old office and home is dedicated to the early days of Kiruna and the startup of LKAB and the building of the rail road Kiruna-Narvik. * WikiPedia:Kiruna Dmoz:Regional Europe Sweden Norrbotten_County Localities Kiruna Commons:Category:Kiruna


Rauma, Finland

in the fires of 1640 and 1682. The wooden city centre, which is how large the town was until 1809, has approximately 600 wooden buildings. The neo-renaissance style of many of the houses is a result of prosperity brought on by seafaring. In 1897 Rauma had the largest fleet of sailing boats in Finland, totalling 57 vessels. Goods were mainly exported to Germany, Stockholm and the Baltic states. In the 1890s, Rauma got a teacher's college (a 'seminar'), which was later annexed


Lijiang

Horizons'' novel about a fictional Himalayan paradise, Shangrila, but the claim is controversial. After China started to admit foreign tourists in the 1980s, Lijiang began to attract many visitors. To fulfill their needs, local people started restaurants and cafes. Chinese people also long for the lifestyle and the excellent environment in Lijiang and started to pour in. An earthquake in 1996 flattened large parts of the town, though quite a few of the traditional wooden buildings remained

Baisui Inn alt 百岁桥客栈 url email takuma2000@163.com address 25 Baisui Fang, Xingyi Street, Lijiang Old Town lat long directions phone +86 13688766252 tollfree fax hours price checkin checkout content A 300 years old Naxi traditional house renewed in 2004 with a pebble cobbled courtyard surrounded by three wooden buildings. The owner Mrs Ho is a 55 years old Naxi lady who has been living in the old town since she born. As the old Naxi saying says: one Naxi lady


Pori

. Reposaari is a unique village with a townscape of mostly wooden buildings and a population of 1,000 people. The island has a church, marina, hostel, camping site, several restaurants and a fishing port. Reposaaren yhdyskunta Finnish National Board of Antiquities. (in Finnish). Retrieved 28 November 2013. Juselius Mausoleum at the Käppärä Cemetery was built in 1901 for the 11-year-old daughter of businessman Fritz Arthur Jusélius. It is the only mausoleum in Finland. The building is decorated with a frescoes by Akseli Gallen-Kallela who is one of Finland's most prominent painters. Kirjurinluoto is an island and park at the delta (River delta) of river Kokemäenjoki by the city center. On the south side of the river stand the Empire style buildings of the "old town", raised after the 1852 city fire. 1841 built Old Town Hall (Pori Old Town Hall) is one of the few buildings saved from the fire. Central Pori Church and the Greek Orthodox Church of Pori dedicated to John the Theologian are the most notable churches. The Sights City of Pori. Retrieved 28 November 2013. 10 kilometres outside the city at the municipality of Ulvila are the Medieval St. Olaf's Church (St. Olaf's Church, Ulvila) and the 18th century ironworks of Leineperi. Villa Mairea is a design of Finland's most famous architect Alvar Aalto. It is considered as one of his most significant works. The villa is widely known all over the world among the ones interested in modern architecture. Commons:Pori


Hanko


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017