Zhangye

thumb left The Dafo Temple contains the largest reclining wooden Buddha in China, and is the reputed birthplace of Kublai Khan (File:Dafosi - This hall contains the largest reclining wooden Bhudda in China.JPG). Zhangye is in the center of the Hexi Corridor. The area was the frontier for much of China's history, forming a natural passage to the Central Asian portion of the empire. In fact, the name Zhangye (lit. "to extend the arm") is an abbreviation of

国臂 掖 ,以通西域 (lit. To extend the arm of the country, through to the Western Realm (Western Regions)). During the Western Han dynasty, Chinese armies were often engaged against the Xiongnu in this area. It was also an important section of the Silk Road. The Mongol Emperor Kublai Khan is said to have been born in the Dafo Temple, which is also the site of the longest reclining wooden Buddha in China. The city was formerly known as '''Ganzhou''' (

the previous year and rural income was 3092 RMB, up 5%. Sport thumb Parc Ferme at Zhangye International Rally 2011 in front of the Wooden Pagoda (File:Zhangye International Rally 2011 Parc Ferme.JPG) Zhangye has hosted a round of the Chinese Rally Championship (CRC) since 2011. Held on specially constructed roads across the deserts north and to the south of the city. The event attracts over 100 entries regularly, including international foreign drivers. A stadium for side-by-side super special


Karakol

Seu and 20 carvers with the skills of traditional Chinese architecture and composition techniques for building the mosque. In the construction of outbuildings and other work were involved local craftsmen. Construction of the mosque began in 1904 and completed in 1907. Ingenious system allows builders to build the mosque with no metal reinforcement tools. The mosque holds 42 based pillars. Encircling of the building is multi-tiered wooden cornice, decorated with images of plants like grapes

n explorer Przhevalsky who died there) is the administrative seat of Issyk Kul Province of Kyrgyzstan. It is located near the eastern tip of the lake and is a good base for excursions into the surrounding area. Its small old core contains an impressive wooden mosque, built without metal nails by the Dungan people, and a wooden Orthodox (Eastern Orthodox Church) church that was used as a stable during Soviet times (see state atheism). File:Tongxin mosque.JPG Chinese-style

minaret of Tongxin (Tongxin County) Mosque, Ningxia, China File:Karakol-Dungan-Mosque-Minaret-3.jpg Wooden minaret of the Dungan (Dungan people) Mosque in Karakol, Kyrgyzstan File:A Swift's Call To Prayer.jpg Sabah State Mosque minaret in Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia (Borneo). *''Frunze'' was the name of Bishkek from 1926–1991 – Mikhail Frunze *''Przhevalsk'' was the name of Karakol from 1888–1921 and 1939–1991 – Nikolai Przhevalsky - Karakol


Khiva

of Badakhshan after his father Mir Muhammad Shah's death in 1810. He remained friendly with his neighbors and country prospered. He recovered arrears of taxes from Chinese settlers and levied payment in advance. In 1814 he invaded Chitral took thousands of prisoners whom he sold in Balkh, Bukhara, Farghana and Khiva. He died in 1815 leaving 5 sons of whom Mir Yar Beg succeeded as ruler. History The wooden fort at the mouth of the Yaik

long directions phone tollfree fax hours price content The medressah was built in the beginning of the 18th cent. It has 81 pupils' cells. It was one of the wealthiest schools in Khiva and possessed a lot of lands. It corresponds the traditional type of medressahs of the 17th and 18th cent. The galleries with arcades, the round towers at the corners and the economical use of glazed tiles remember the traditions of architecture in Khorezm. It has a beautiful carved wooden

of the harem. The courtyard is ornamented by 5 high Aiwans. Carved wooden columns on marble bases carry the ceiling which is decorated with paintings and the walls are masked with blue tiles. Even the righful wives of the khan lived like slaves. They weaved carpets, made embroideries and sewed. They could leaved the palace at rare occasions only and then they went in a car covered by felt and their companions with their white sticks removed everybody who came into their way. '''Ishrat Chauli


Visby city wall

towers and is placed at an angle between the part of the wall facing the sea and the part facing land. It is supported by two large buttresses. At the top of the tower, on the third floor outside, there was originally a wooden gallery for archers. On the same floor there was also a place where a fire could be lit, mainly used for signalling purposes. In the beginning of the 18th century during the Great Northern War, the arrow-slits were enlarged

1893 p 127 From the 1840s and a few decades on, the gate room itself was used as part of an establishment serving coffee, tea and punsch. The gate itself has slots for a portcullis. This served as a protection against hostile assaults with weapons such as battering rams. In addition to an extra set of internal walls, this provided a good defence for the relative weak spots that the gates were. In 2009, new internal, wooden floors and stairs were built

wall, possibly as early as 1280. Norderport lies on a steep slope. It was stoutly built, and hence had good defensive capacity. The outer, wooden gates were reinforced with a portcullis. Openings for chains and ropes to pull it up still exist. Through other openings, water could be poured onto the portcullis if an enemy attempted to set it on fire. In the outermost wall posts, iron rings are attached. These were probably


Arkhangelsk

-Arkhangelsk-cathedral-sonstruction-set.jpg thumb Rebuilding the city's Cathedral of the Archangel Michael thumb The Sutyagin House (File:Sutyagin house 2.JPG), claimed to be the world's tallest wooden single-family house Mikhail Lomonosov came from a Pomor (Pomors) village near Kholmogory. A monument to him was installed to a design by Ivan Martos in 1829. A monument to Peter the Great was designed by Mark Antokolsky in 1872 and installed in 1914. After its historic churches

, tallest wooden house. Constructed by Mr. Sutyagin and his family over the course of fifteen years (starting in 1992), without formal plans or a building permit, the structure deteriorated while Mr. Sutyagin spent a few years in prison on racketeering charges. In 2008, it was condemned by the city as a fire hazard, and the courts ordered it to be demolished by February 1, 2009.

;upload_id 914 Sutyagin House, Arkhangelsk, Russia: Standing tall . WorldArchitectureNews.com, Wednesday Mar 7, 2007. (Includes photo)


Westwood, Los Angeles

of five patrol divisions and a traffic division, which handles traffic-related duties such as accident investigation and the issuing of citations tickets. '''John Robert Wooden

ucla-wooden-page.html title John Wooden: A Coaching Legend publisher UCLABruins.com (official athletic site of the UCLA Bruins) accessdate 24 January 2010 Within this period, his teams won a record 88 consecutive games. ref

name "AP obit" He was named national coach of the year six times. During his tenure with the Bruins, Wooden became known as the "Wizard of Westwood (Westwood, Los Angeles)" (although he personally disdained the nickname) and gained lasting fame with UCLA by winning 620 games in 27 seasons and 10 NCAA titles during his last 12 seasons, including seven in a row from 1967 to 1973. His UCLA teams also


Suzdal

In March, the Suzdal tourist center is home to the Open Russian Festival of Animated Film. The Cathedral of the Nativity in Suzdal is one of the eight White Monuments of Vladimir and Suzdal, a World Heritage Site. Monuments *'''Wooden Church of St. Nicholas'''. This church was built in Glotovo in 1766 and was moved to Suzdal in 1960 to be part of a museum of wooden architecture. The church is elevated off the ground about a story high from when it was moved across

the country. This church is made out of all wood and represents the close relationship between wood and stone architecture and how precise the Russians were while building this back in 1766. thumb left Barns on stilts, the Museum of Wooden Masterpieces, Suzdal (File:Suzdal3.jpg) *'''St. John the Baptist Church'''. This church was built in 1720, at the same time that the St. Nicholas church was built, although the difference between the types of architecture of the two churches

is quite remarkable. Whereas the St. Nicholas Church is all wooden, the St. John Church is made out of white plastered walls with wooden supports. *'''The St. Alexander Convent'''. This church was built in 1240 by an unknown architect. It is said that the princesses of Suzdal, Mariya and Agrippina, were buried here in the 14th century. *'''Convent of Intercession'''. The convent was founded in 1364. In its center stands the cathedral of the Intercession; it was an add


Staraya Russa

; ref The wooden fortifications of Russa burned to ashes in 1190 and then in 1194, after which they were replaced by the stone fortress. In 1478, it was incorporated into the Grand Duchy of Moscow together with Novgorod. The word Staraya (''Old'') was prefixed to the name in the 15th century, to distinguish it from newer settlements called Russa. Nevertheless, the current name firmly established only in the 19th century, when the salt mining settlements around the town became collectively

seen many battles. Well after its wooden walls had been burnt down and later replaced by stone fortifications, the town fought bloody battles against Swedish invaders for centuries, but the most devastating years of its history would come after the reign of Ivan the Terrible, during the Russian ''Time of Troubles'' in the early seventeenth century. Until the establishment of the Romanov Dynasty, the surrounding area was under the control of armed gangs and brigands, and the once-important city

dwindled to a mere 38 people. Over time Staraya Russa recovered, but its fate as a town on the invasion route would come back to haunt it one last time in the twentieth century, when Hitler's forces invaded during WWII and virtually levelled the historic town. Despite the destruction throughout the years, though, many old wooden houses (including the Dostoevsky residence) and several important churches remain intact, and other institutions, like the balneologic resort, have been rebuilt


Arkhangelsk Oblast

% are unaffiliated generic Christians, 1% adheres to other Orthodox Churches, 1% adheres to Slavic Rodnovery (Rodnovery) (Slavic Neopaganism). In addition, 32% of the population deems itself to be "spiritual but not religious", 16% is atheist (atheism), and 17.9% follows other religions or did not give an answer to the question. Arts and culture Architecture File:Lyadiny1.jpg thumb

The triple church ensemble in the ''selo'' of Lyadiny, Kargopolsky District. In 2013, the bell tower and the Intercession Church (right) burned to the ground. Arkhangelsk Oblast is famous for its wooden buildings which include churches, chapels, peasant houses and farms, and city houses. The choice of wood as the construction material is natural for a region almost exclusively covered by taiga and still being one of the biggest timber producers. Some of these buildings date from

; An open-air ethnographic museum was open in the village of Malye Korely close to Arkhangelsk, with the purpose of preserving this heritage. The most notable wooden churches are triple church ensembles, which consist of two churches (a bigger, not heated, church used in the summer, a smaller, heated church used in the winter, and a bell-tower). Not more than a dozen of these triple wooden ensembles survived, the best known being the one located in the Kizhi Pogost in the Republic


Thorold

library Public Library . '''St. Johns School House (One-room school)''', on Hollow Road, is a single-room wooden school house located in the west portion of Thorold. Opening in 1804, it was the first free school (Secular education) in Upper Canada. The first teacher at the school was Samuel Birdsall. The enrolment in 1826 was recorded as 29 students. The building was fully restored in 1974. '''Maplehurst''', at 14 Saint David's Road West, is a Thorold landmark and the former home

education free school in Upper Canada, housed in a single-room, wooden schoolhouse (One-room school). By the time a post office was established in 1831, the community included a woollen factory, a tannery (tanning), a foundry, stores, and a number of mills. Eventually, the hydro power offered by the site became less of a commodity. As industry in surrounding towns grew, St. Johns' affluence declined. Trails The Welland Canal Parkway Trail is a paved recreational path

, Ontario Port Dalhousie , cut through the heart of Thorold and terminated at Port Robinson on the Welland River. Ships continued down the river to Chippawa (Chippawa, Ontario), then followed the Niagara River to Lake Erie. In 1833 the Canal was extended south to Gravelly Bay (later Port Colborne). When complete, the canal was 44 km (kilometre) (27 miles) long, and had 40 wooden locks. In 1827, in anticipation of the completion of the Canal, George Keefer had built


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017