) and the surrounding houses and businesses became known as Butchertown. The butcher industry declined following the 1906 San Francisco earthquake until 1971 when the final slaughterhouse closed. <
with community members, other organizations and citywide agencies to strengthen and improve this diverse part of San Francisco. Community gardening, art, and social history are popular in the area. The Quesada Gardens Initiative is a well recognized organization that has created a cluster of 35 community and backyard gardens in the heart of the neighborhood, including the original Quesada Garden on the 1700 block of Quesada Ave., the Founders' Garden, Bridgeview Teaching and Learning Garden
, is still in use as a performance theater and meeting hall. It, too, is listed with the National Register of Historic Places (2000) in recognition of its contributions in the areas of architecture (Queen Anne (Queen Anne Style architecture) and Greek Revival (Greek Revival architecture)), social history, and performing arts. During the second quarter of the nineteenth century lectures on the evils of alcohol (temperance movement) and slavery (Abolitionism), the merits of women's
uAzGTtWlp7gC&printsec frontcover&dq Richard+Tapper,+Frontier+nomads+of+Iran:+a+political+and+social&hl tr&ei -FkrTKfvFIGlcezT8JUD&sa X&oi book_result&ct result&resnum 1&ved 0CCcQ6AEwAA#v onephttp: en.wikipedia.org w index.php?title Safi-ad-din_Ardabili&action editage&q&f false Richard Tapper, ''Frontier nomads of Iran: a political and social history of the Shahsevan'', Cambridge University Press, 1997, ISBN 9780521583367, p. 39. EBN BAZZAZ Encyclopedia Iranica Muḥammad Kamāl, ''Mulla Sadra's Transcendent Philosophy'', Ashgate Publishing Inc, 2006, ISBN 0754652718, p. 24. eponym of the Safavid dynasty, was the spiritual heir and son in law of the great Sufi (Sufism) Murshid (Grand Master) Sheikh Zahed Gilani, of Lahijan in Gilan Province in northern Iran. Most of what we know about him comes from the Safvat as-safa, a hagiography written by one of his followers. Life He was born in Lahijan, Guilan in the northern part of Iran. He started his elementary school at the age of seven at Haghighat school after which he came to Tehran to continue his education at the Daar-Ol-Moallemin-E-Markazi in 1925. He finished high school at Madrese-Motevasete in the eastern part of Tehran and received his high school diploma in 1931. In 1932, among 100 other prominent students, he was sent to France for higher education. He completed his undergraduate studies at the Université Lille Nord de France in 1935 and his doctorate at the Paris-Sorbonne University in 1938. He received his Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering in 1938. Memoirs of M.A. Modjtahedi DATE OF BIRTH 23 September 1908 PLACE OF BIRTH Lahijan, Iran DATE OF DEATH 1 July 1997
*On 27 April 1977, Convair 240 TG-ACA crashed (1977 Aviateca Convair 240 crash) near Guatemala City, Guatemala, killing all 28 people on board. thumb left A page from the '' Lienzo de Tlaxcala (File:LienzodeTlaxcalaLamina5.jpg)'', showing a Spanish conquistador accompanied by Tlaxcalan allies and a native porter alt Painting with three prominent indigenous warriors in single file facing left, wearing cloaks and grasping staves, followed by a dog. Below them and to the right is the smaller image of a mounted Spaniard with a raised lance. To the left and indigenous porter carries a pack fixed by a strap across his forehead, and sports a staff in one hand. All are apparently moving towards a doorway at top left. The sources describing the Spanish conquest of Guatemala include those written by the Spanish themselves, among them two of four letters written by conquistador Pedro de Alvarado to Hernán Cortés in 1524, describing the initial campaign to subjugate the Guatemalan Highlands. These letters were despatched to Tenochtitlan, addressed to Cortés but with a royal audience in mind; two of these letters are now lost. Restall and Asselbergs 2007, p. 23. Gonzalo de Alvarado y Chávez (Gonzalo de Alvarado#Gonzalo de Alvarado y Chávez) was Pedro de Alvarado's cousin; he accompanied him on his first campaign in Guatemala and in 1525 he became the chief constable of Santiago de los Caballeros de Guatemala, the newly founded Spanish capital. Gonzalo wrote an account that mostly supports that of Pedro de Alvarado. Pedro de Alvarado's brother Jorge wrote another account to the king of Spain that explained it was his own campaign of 1527–1529 that established the Spanish colony. Restall and Asselbergs 2007, p. 49. Bernal Díaz del Castillo wrote a lengthy account of the conquest of Mexico and neighbouring regions, the ''Historia verdadera de la conquista de la Nueva España'' ("True History of the Conquest of New Spain"); his account of the conquest of Guatemala generally agrees with that of the Alvarados. Restall and Asselbergs 2007, pp. 49–50. His account was finished around 1568, some 40 years after the campaigns it describes. Díaz del Castillo 1632, 2005, p. 5. Hernán Cortés described his expedition to Honduras in the fifth letter of his ''Cartas de Relación'', Cortés 1844, 2005, p. xxi. in which he details his crossing of what is now Guatemala's Petén Department. Dominican (Dominican Order) friar Bartolomé de las Casas wrote a highly critical account of the Spanish conquest of the Americas and included accounts of some incidents in Guatemala. Restall and Asselbergs 2007, p. 50. The ''Brevísima Relación de la Destrucción de las Indias (A Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies)'' ("Short Account of the Destruction of the Indies") was first published in 1552 in Seville. de Las Casas 1552, 1997, p. 13. History and geography The municipality ''(municipio (Municipalities of Mexico))'' of Calakmul borders to the east with Quintana Roo (municipalities of José María Morelos (José María Morelos, Quintana Roo), Bacalar (Bacalar Municipality), and Othón P. Blanco (Othón P. Blanco, Quintana Roo)) and Belize (Orange Walk District); to the south with Guatemala (Petén Department); and to the north and west with other municipalities in Campeche (Candelaria (Candelaria Municipality), Champotón (Champotón Municipality), Escárcega (Escárcega Municipality) and Hopelchén (Hopelchén Municipality)). It covers 13,839.11 km² (5,343.31 sq mi), accounting for 24.34% of the state's total surface area, and is the 10th-largest municipality in area in the country.
. Vailhé, S. (1913) "Tripoli, Prefecture Apostolic of" ''Catholic Encyclopedia'' volume 15, page 59 This in turn, in 1875, became the vilayet of Cyrenaica. Hayes, Carlton Joseph Huntley (1919) ''A political and social history of modern Europe, Volume 1'' Macmillan, New York, page 514,
on Ottoman and Turkish social history url http: books.google.rs books?ei MYNsT5vCAeLB0QXY7ZC6Bg&id kIhpAAAAMAAJ&dq subasi+of+kruje&q %22+on+fait+les+subasi+en+ordre+chronologique%2C+les+titulaires+suivants+%3A+en+1432+Hizir+Bey%2C+en+novembre+1438+encore+Hizir+Bey%2C+en+avril+1440+Umur+Bey.+Vers+1438+Iskender+Bey%2C+fils+de+Jean%22#search_anchor year 1995 month publisher Isis Press location Istanbul language isbn 978-975-428-080-7 oclc 34985150 page 76 quote D'après le
March 2012 , then Hizir Bey, and later during 1437—1438 Skanderbeg was its governor. In November 1438 Hizir Bey was again appointed as subaşi of Krujë until he was replaced in April 1440 by Umur Bey.
birth_place Sousse, French Protectorate of Tunisia (French protectorate of Tunisia) (now Tunisian Republic (Tunisia)) death_date After many discussions during the 1920s, in 1935 the Franco-Italian Agreement was signed between Benito Mussolini and Pierre Laval, which included a provision under which Italy would receive the Aouzou strip, which was to be added to Libya. Hodder, Lloyd, McLachlan (1998). ''Land-locked states of Africa and Asia, Volume 2'', p. 32. Frank Cass, London, Great Britain. France's other motivations in concluding this agreement with Italy were to settle the status of the Italian Tunisian community (Italian Tunisians) in its protectorate of the country (French protectorate of Tunisia), to remove irredentist Italian claims (Italia irredenta) to Nice, and to prevent Italy from growing closer to Nazi Germany by keeping it closely aligned with France and the United Kingdom (the Stresa Front).
They started to be known as the ''llacifac'' and were the first Christians to arrive after the creation of the town. After Serb reprisals in the Debar region, thousands of locals fled to Tirana. In 1807, Tirana became the center of the Sub-Prefecture of Krujë-Tirana. After 1816, Tirana languished under the control of the ''Toptani'' family of Krujë. Later, Tirana became a Sub-Prefecture of the newly created Vilayet of Shkodër and Sanjak of Durrës. In 1889, the Albanian language started to be taught in Tirana's schools, while the patriotic club Bashkimi was founded in 1908. On 28 November 1912, the national flag was raised in agreement with Ismail Qemali. During the Balkan Wars, the town was temporarily occupied by the Serbian army, and it took part in uprising of the villages led by Haxhi Qamili. In 1917, the first city outline was compiled by Austro-Hungarian architects. * Lorenzo de' Medici becomes sole ruler of Florence (Florence, Italy). * Fourth Siege of Krujë: The Fourth Siege of Krujë by the Ottoman Empire of Krujë in Albania occurred in 1478 and resulted in the town's capture after the failure of three prior sieges. * Vladislav II of Bohemia makes peace with Hungary. January–December * June – Second Siege of Krujë (Second Siege of Krujë (1466)): Mehmed II leads an army of 150,000 in an attempt to quash the Albanian resistance by taking Krujë. The Albanians repulse him and the Ottoman army retreats from Albania. * August 26 – A conspiracy against Piero di Cosimo de' Medici, led by Luca Pitti and Borso d'Este, is discovered and put down in Florence. He returned to Germany and rejoined the Imperial German Army (German Army (German Empire)) under the pseudonym "Count of Kruja".<
; * Sokollu Mehmet Paşa (Mehmed-paša Sokolović) (1551-1555) The '''Sanjak of Smederevo''' (Serbian (Serbian language): Смедеревски санџак, ''Smederevski sandžak''; Turkish (Turkish language): ''Semendire Sancağı''), also known as the '''Pashaluk of Belgrade''' (''Turkish'': '''Belgrad Paşalığı'''), was an Ottoman (Ottoman Empire) administrative unit (sanjak), that existed between the 15th and the outset of the 19th centuries. It was located in the territory of present day Central Serbia, Serbia. It belonged to Rumelia Eyalet between 1459 and 1541, and again between 1716 and 1717 and again 1739 and 1817 (nominally to 1830), to Budin Eyalet between 1541 and 1686, and to Temeşvar Eyalet between 1686 and 1688 and again between 1690 and 1716.