Silverlake, Los Angeles.jpg imagesize 250px image_caption The hills of Silver Lake image_map Map of Silver Lake district, Los Angeles, California.png map_caption Silver Lake boundaries as drawn by the ''Los Angeles Times'' pushpin_map United States Los Angeles Central pushpin_label_position right pushpin_map_caption Location within Central Los Angeles pushpin_mapsize 250 latd 34 latm 5 lats 40 latNS N longd 118 longm 16 longs 3 longEW W coordinates_display inline,title named_for
Politician Herman Silver '''Silver Lake''' is a residential and commercial neighborhood (Neighbourhood) in the central (Central Los Angeles) region of Los Angeles, California, built around a city reservoir which gives the district its name. The "Silver" in Silver Lake is not because of the water's color, but named for the local engineer who built the reservoir. It's known for its restaurants and clubs (nightclub), and many notable people have made their homes
, held its national convention in Ocala. At the convention, the Alliance adopted a platform that would become known as the "Ocala Demands". This platform included abolition of national banks, promoting low-interest government loans, free and unlimited coinage of silver, reclamation of excess railroad lands by the government, a graduated income tax, and direct election of United States senators. Most of the "Ocala Demands" were to become part of the People's Party (United
by the Florida Outlaws, as well as endurance rides, barrel races, "extreme" cowboy events, jumper shows, trick shows, parades, draft pulls, rodeo events, and more. Tourism The nearby community of Silver Springs (Silver Springs, Florida) developed around the Silver Springs (Silver Springs (attraction)), a group of artesian springs on the Silver River (Silver River (Florida)). In the 19th century, this site became Florida's first tourist destination. Today well known for glass
bottom boat tours of the area, Silver Springs is owned by the state of Florida and incorporated into Silver Springs State Park in 2013.
The city is heavily associated with silver, both with the mining of it and other metals and for the crafting of it into jewelry, silverware and other items. This reputation, along with the city’s picturesque homes and surrounding landscapes have made tourism the main economic activity as the only large-scale mining operation here is coming to a close.
governor who presided over tribute collection in the surrounding seven districts. The modern Spanish town of Taxco was founded by Hernán Cortés in an area previously known as Tetelcingo, because of the abundance of silver here.
-mexico title Silver, Saints, and Sinners: Semana Santa in Taxco, Mexico publisher Mexconnect accessdate 2009-08-26 Mining here began in the pre-Hispanic period with natives extracting a number of stones for decorative and ritual purposes. Mining operations in the area during the early colonial period was carried out mostly by mining haciendas such as the Hacienda El Chorillo and the Hacienda San Juan Bautista, established by Cortés
material in the area now known as Oh! Ridge. A basin which had been carved out just west of the ridge is filled with spring water, creating June Lake (June Lake (California)) and nearby Gull Lake. The overflow from these spring-fed lakes flows back toward the mountain range and thus is named Reversed Creek. Reversed Creek reaches a confluence with Rush Creek and flows through Silver Lake and Grant Lake, completing the "loop" to the Mono Basin. File:June Lake 11.jpg thumb left
: then directly at the base of Carson Peak are the Dream Mountain and Silver Lake Meadow areas as well as the Rush Creek Power House. These "down canyon" areas are primarily single-family residential although several commercial nodes exist containing retail, lodging, dining and other services. There are also several outlying inhabited areas which are under lease from the Forest Service (Inyo National Forest). These include the June Lake Junction (June Lake Junction, California) and Pine
Cliff Resort to the northeast of June Lake (June Lake (California)); Silver Lake Resort; the Silver Lake Recreation Residence Tract; and the Grant Lake Campground and Marina. At the northern Junction of the Loop road (California State Route 158) with U.S. Highway 395 (U.S. Route 395 in California) is the Cain Ranch, on property owned by the City of Los Angeles (Los Angeles Department of Water and Power). According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP covers an area of 8.8&
in 1908. Baddeck was home to Alexander Graham Bell and was witness to the first flight in the commonwealth by Bell's Silver Dart (AEA Silver Dart) in 1909. Historic dates * 1851 - Established as shire town of Victoria County * 1908 - Village is incorporated * 23 February 1909 - The first flight in the Commonwealth as the Silver Dart takes off from the frozen Baddeck Bay * 9 September 1919 - The HD-4 sets a world marine speed record of 114 km h (70.86 mph
became so absorbed in his experiments that his annual stays lengthened. Both Mabel and Alec became immersed in the Baddeck community and were accepted by the villagers as "their own". On 23 February 1909, Bell's AEA Silver Dart was the first airplane to take flight in the commonwealth, taking off from the frozen Baddeck Bay piloted by John Alexander Douglas McCurdy. This flight was recreated with replicas of the Silver Dart for both the 50th and 100th
Scotia Baddeck in 1885, largely due to surroundings reminiscent of his early years in Scotland. He established a summer estate complete with research laboratories, working with deaf people—including Helen Keller—and continued to invent. Baddeck would be the site of his experiments with hydrofoil technologies as well as the Aerial Experiment Association, financed by his wife, which saw the first powered flight in the British Empire when the AEA Silver Dart AEA ''Silver Dart
French . History According to legend, Juan Rangel de Biezma came here in 1629, picked up a rock on the “Cerro la Prieta” (La Prieta Hill), licked it and proclaimed “There is a mineral deposit here.” This deposit produced silver for 340 years.
: www.mexicodesconocido.com.mx Parral was once a bustling center for silver mining. As early as 1567, the silver mines at Santa Barbara were established in the territory of the Conchos Indians. However, in 1631, a vast new silver strike was made in what is now southern Chihuahua. Later, in 1640, it was declared "Capital of the World of Silver" by monarch, Philip IV of Spain, at the very height of the Spanish Empire, that included territories in Eastern Asia, Italy
, and the Low Countries After the end of the silver mining boom, Parral was almost completely abandoned in the early 1930s (although the surrounding district continues to be mined for silver and base metals.) It is now a small city mainly dedicated
United States Census Bureau year 2008 accessdate 13 October 2009 It is a suburban community within the Akron metropolitan area. Stow is adjacent to several other suburban communities in Summit and Portage (Portage County, Ohio) counties. It is bordered on the south by the cities of Tallmadge (Tallmadge, Ohio) and Munroe Falls (Munroe Falls, Ohio) and the village of Silver Lake (Silver Lake, Ohio), on the east by the city of Kent (Kent, Ohio) and Franklin
; The land that would eventually be known as Stow Township was the survey township "Town 3, Range 10" of the Western Reserve and was initially . It was purchased by Joshua Stow for $14,154. Prior to the arrival of European settlers, the area around what is now Stow was inhabited by a tribe of Seneca (Seneca people) Native Americans at a small settlement in the area that is now part of the neighboring village of Silver Lake (Silver Lake, Ohio). ref
land agent William Wetmore, a settler also from Middletown, Connecticut, who moved to Stow in 1804 with his family and several other settlers. The Wetmores built a cabin in July 1804 near the center of Stow Township and the present-day intersection of Darrow Road (Ohio State Route 91) and Kent Road (Ohio State Route 59). In 1808, the Wetmores built a home near the Seneca settlement in what is now Silver Lake. The house overlooked a small lake, known as Silver Lake since 1874
Kong dollar at a rate of HK$1 MOP1.03. The name pataca is a Portuguese word which was applied to the Mexican dollars that were the main circulating coin in the wider region in the second half of the 19th century. In the year 1894, the pataca was introduced in both Macau and Portuguese Timor as a unit of account for the Mexican dollar and the other silver dollar coins in circulation. In 1901 it was decided to grant the Banco Nacional Ultramarino the exclusive rights to issue
banknotes denominated in patacas, and in the year 1906, these notes went into circulation at an official equivalent rate of 2 shillings and 4 pence sterling (Pound sterling), and all foreign coins were outlawed. However, the Chinese were suspicious of these paper patacas, being so accustomed to using silver for barter, and as such, the paper patacas circulated at a discount in relation to the silver dollar coins. In the year 1935, when China and Hong Kong abandoned the silver standard, the Hong
1894 and 1958, except for the period 1942-1945, when the occupying Japanese forces introduced the Netherlands Indies gulden and the roepiah (Netherlands Indies roepiah). As in the case of the Macanese pataca which is still in use today, the East Timor unit was based on the silver Mexican dollar coins which were prolific in the wider region in the 19th century. These Mexican dollar coins were in turn the lineal descendants of the Spanish pieces of eight which had been
, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors unanimously voted to begin a 40-year plan to urbanize Tysons Corner around the coming four stops of Washington Metro's Silver Line (Silver Line (Washington Metro)) in the vein of neighboring Arlington County (Arlington County, Virginia)'s Rosslyn-Ballston corridor (Arlington County, Virginia#Development patterns). A preliminary estimate from the Fairfax County Department of Transportation suggested
that $7.83 billion in transportation infrastructure projects will be necessary to transform Tysons Corner into a high-density urban center from 2010 to 2050, most of which will be allocated to both construction phases of the Silver Line. Existing plans call for construction of a grid layout for streets around the rail stations, projected to cost $742 million. An additional $1 billion will be spent on further transit and street grid projects from 2030 to 2050. ref name "15billion">
County board approves Scotts Run development in Tysons Scotts Run Station Ahead of the Washington Metro Silver Line (Silver Line (Washington Metro)) opening in mid-2014, the Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and the Tysons Partnership, a nonprofit association that represents the area's stakeholders, began rebranding the area as simply "Tysons", dropping "Corner" from
00041791.pdf title No.10760: Agreement relating to Malaysia accessdate 2010-07-29 publisher United Nations work United Nations Treaty Collection format pdf year 1963 month July By 1895, the circumstances had changed to the extent that there was now a dearth of Mexican dollars and the authorities in both Hong Kong and the Straits Settlements were putting pressure on the authorities in London to take measures to have a regular supply of silver dollar coins. London
in Malaysia were founded in the Straits Settlements of Penang, Melaka, and Singapore. The oldest English-language school in Malaya is the Penang Free School, founded in 1816, followed by Malacca High School, and Anglo Chinese School, Klang. Many English-language schools are considered quite prestigious. At the end of the 19th century, there was no single currency in use in Macau, but the predominant circulating coins were the silver Mexican dollars, the British silver
trade dollars of Hong Kong and the Straits Settlements, as well as the silver dollars and fractional coinage of the neighbouring province of Canton (Guangdong). In 1901, it was decided to have a uniquely Macau currency, and for that purpose, the Banco Nacional Ultramarino was granted exclusive rights to issue legal tender banknotes that were to be denominated in patacas. On January 27, 1906, pataca notes in denominations of 1, 5, 50 and 100 were introduced and all foreign coinage