Places Known For

public open


Butterworth, Penang

is located beside the North South Expressway from Penang to Sungai Petani and within a distance to Seberang Jaya's highway roundabout. * Econsave in Bagan Dalam and Raja Uda. * Giant (Giant hypermarket) hypermarket in Sunway Carnival Mall located in Seberang Jaya. * Billion Seberang Jaya beside Sunway Carnival Mall and Billion Kota Permai. Landmarks * '''Padang MPSP''' Also known as the Seberang Perai Municipal Council field, this public open space in Butterworth town centre is a popular venue for major events such as the National Day parade and the festive open houses organised by the Penang state government. Also located in this field is Dewan Dato' Haji Ahmad Badawi. * '''Pantai Bersih''' This sandy beach is located in Bagan Ajam. It is a popular picnic spot among locals. * '''Penang Bird Park''' Situated in Seberang Jaya, it boasts a collection of over 300 species of birds with enormous walk-in aviaries and is the first and largest bird park of its kind in Malaysia. Popular among bird enthusiasts, the park was built in a garden landscaping concept with natural ponds and a vast collection of flora and several other wildlife including mousedeer (Chevrotain ), giant alaipaima fish, phytons and monitor lizards. expressway connects Sungai Dua in the north until Perai in the south. The Squadron re-deployed to Butterworth (Butterworth, Penang) in Malaysia on 31 August 1968.


Redditch

, H&M, The Perfume Shop and Warren James Jewellers. It is one of the largest covered shopping centres in the United Kingdom. In 2007, a cinema opened on the new upper floor. Arrow Valley Country Park thumb View across Arrow Valley Lake (File:ArrowValleyLake WaterTower.JPG) Redditch has '''Erdington railway station''' is a railway station serving the Erdington area of Birmingham, England. It is situated on the Redditch-Birmingham New Street-Lichfield Cross-City Line. The vehicle collided with a tree on the A4023 road (w:A roads in Zone 4 of the Great Britain numbering scheme#Four-digit roads (40xx)) in Redditch (w:Redditch) at around 2200 GMT (w:Greenwich Mean Time) on Sunday; West Mercia Police (w:West Mercia Police) were subsequently called to the scene of the accident. The driver suffered from serious injuries and was later pronounced dead at the scene of the collision.


United States Department of War

. It became the hub of the city's early commercial district. Bednar, ''L'Enfant's Legacy: Public Open Spaces in Washington,'' 2006, p. 15. Boyer, ''The City of Collective Memory: Its Historical Imagery and Architectural Entertainments,'' 1996, p. 351; Tindall, ''Standard History of the City of Washington From a Study of the Original Sources,'' 1914, p. 344. Over time, the business district moved north, but its southern boundary continued to be marked by Pennsylvania Avenue. Bednar, ''L'Enfant's Legacy: Public Open Spaces in Washington,'' 2006, p. 23. Center Market moved a block west along Pennsylvania Avenue to larger, more modern facilities in 1872. Tindall, ''Standard History of the City of Washington From a Study of the Original Sources,'' 1914, p. 383. The second inauguration (United States presidential inauguration) of Thomas Jefferson, which occurred on March 4, 1805, was the first to host an inaugural procession down Pennsylvania Avenue. Bryan, ''A History of the National Capital...,'' 1914, p. 457; Tindall, ''Standard History of the City of Washington From a Study of the Original Sources,'' 1914, p. 323. The city's first school, the Western School, opened on the south side of Pennsylvania Avenue between 17th and 18th Streets NW in January 1806. Bryan, ''A History of the National Capital...,'' 1914, p. 481. The city's first sewer pipe was laid under Pennsylvania Avenue in 1829. Tindall, ''Standard History of the City of Washington From a Study of the Original Sources,'' 1914, p. 243. By 1835, Pennsylvania Avenue was largely lined by two- to four-story (Storey) Federalist (Federal architecture) row houses. Bednar, ''L'Enfant's Legacy: Public Open Spaces in Washington,'' 2006, p. 16. The Baltimore and Potomac Railroad converted a house at the corner of 2nd Street NW and Pennsylvania Avenue into the city's first train station. Tindall, ''Standard History of the City of Washington From a Study of the Original Sources,'' 1914, p. 345; Dilts, ''The Great Road: The Building of the Baltimore and Ohio, the Nation's First Railroad, 1828–1853,'' 1996, p. 375. It was abandoned in 1851 when the station moved to a more long-lasting location at New Jersey Avenue and C Street NW. Tindall, ''Standard History of the City of Washington From a Study of the Original Sources,'' 1914, p. 364-365. The same year, the National Theatre opened on December 7. Tindall, ''Standard History of the City of Washington From a Study of the Original Sources,'' 1914, p. 500. It was followed by the 400-seat Odeon in 1846, the 1,000-seat Adelphi in 1847, and Metzerott Hall in the 1860s. Tindall, ''Standard History of the City of Washington From a Study of the Original Sources,'' 1914, p. 500, 507. President Andrew Jackson approved the construction of the Treasury Building (Treasury Building (Washington, D.C.)) in 1836 (it was completed the following year), but the size and height of the building forced a rerouting of Pennsylvania Avenue and blocked the view of the White House from L'Enfant's "Grand Avenue." Newton, ''Design on the Land: The Development of Landscape Architecture,'' 1971, p. 403; Berg, ''Grand Avenues: The Story of Pierre Charles L'Enfant, the French Visionary Who Designed Washington,'' 2008, p. 253. The city's first stock brokerage was opened by William W. Corcoran at 15th and Pennsylvania Avenue in 1837. Tindall, ''Standard History of the City of Washington From a Study of the Original Sources,'' 1914, p. 555. The city blocks where the National Gallery of Art now stands became a fashionable residential area in the 1830s. Savage, ''Monument Wars: Washington, D.C., the National Mall, and the Transformation of the Memorial Landscape,'' 2009, p. 172. The two airfields merged into a new airport named Washington-Hoover Airport. It opened on August 2, 1933, and closed to the public when Washington National Airport opened on June 16, 1941. Vogel, 2008, p. 35. Sullivan, Barry. "Washington Airport, World's Finest, Starts Operation Tomorrow." ''Washington Post.'' June 15, 1941. It remained open as a private field for small aircraft, "Million-Dollar Check Closes Airport Deal." ''Washington Post.'' September 20, 1941. but closed on September 16, 1941, when the United States Department of War purchased Washington-Hoover Airport for $1 million to construct The Pentagon. "Old Airport Is Purchased By the Army." ''Washington Post.'' September 17, 1941. From 1940 to 1942, he was a personnel specialist for the War Department (United States Department of War) in Washington and Chicago. From 1942 to 1943 he became the assistant director of civilian personnel. He enlisted during World War II, served in the U.S. Army (United States Army) from 1943 to 1946, and attained the rank of captain fighting in the China theater. In 1944, he married Joyce Hagen. After the war, he returned to the War Department as director of civilian personnel. The following day President Roosevelt froze all Japanese assets within the United States and issued orders to absorb the forces of the Philippine Army. That same day the War Department (United States Department of War) created the US Army Forces in the Far East (USAFFE) (USAFFE) command, with jurisdiction over the Philippine Department and the military forces of the Commonwealth. At the same time General Douglas MacArthur was recalled to active duty and designated the commander of USAFFE. The office handled some of the most important architectural commissions (Contract) of the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. Among its creations are the well-known State (United States Department of State), War (United States Department of War), and Navy (United States Department of the Navy) building (now the Eisenhower Executive Office Building (Old Executive Office Building)) in Washington, DC, the San Francisco Mint Building, and smaller post offices that have served communities for decades, many recognized as National Historic Landmarks, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, or designated as local landmarks. Origins The "United States Regiment of Dragoons" was organized by an Act of Congress approved 2 March 1833. It became the "First Regiment of Dragoons" when the Second Dragoons were raised in 1836. With the outbreak of the Civil War and the War Department (United States Department of War)'s desire to redesignate and reorganize its mounted units, its designation was changed to "First Regiment of Cavalry" by another Act of Congress on 3 August 1861. Its Headquarters were initially established at Jefferson Barracks (Jefferson Barracks Military Post), near St. Louis, Missouri. In the spring of 1855 two new regiments of cavalry,the First and Second Cavalry were authorized. One of these was named “The First Cavalry Regiment”, under the command of Lt. Col. Edwin Vose Sumner, the first regular American military unit to bear that name. Sumner was previously with the First Dragoons. Chalfant, William Y., Cheyennes and Horse Soldiers, University of Oklahoma Press, 1989. Metropolitan The Washington and Georgetown's monopoly didn't last long. On July 1, 1864, a second streetcar company, the Metropolitan Railroad, was incorporated. It opened lines from the Capitol to the War Department (United States Department of War) along H Street (H Street (Washington, D.C.)) NW. In 1872, it built a line on 9th Street NW and purchased the Union Railroad (Union Railroad (Washington)) (chartered on January 19, 1872). It used the Union's charter to expand into Georgetown. In 1873 it purchased the Boundary and Silver Spring Railway (chartered on January 19, 1872) and used its charter to build north on what is now Georgia Avenue.


Östersund

Nipen first Kjersti work Adresseavisen date 3 August 2002 page 3 language Norwegian At the age of 90 Magda Julin could still be seen skating at the public open air ice rink in Kungsträdgården in central Stockholm. She was invited to participate in an inauguration of an ice rink in Östersund Sweden in autumn 1990. significant_buildings Öijared Executive Country Club, Lerum, 1988, Astra Zeneca R&D Site, Mölndal, 1993-, Swedish Embassy


Newport, Wales

Llanwern steelworks, and although the rolling mill is still active, steel manufacture ceased in 2001. Permission has been granted to transform the Annapolis, Maryland, USA (Annapolis, Maryland) *Brian Randle – Former basketball player, University of Illinois (University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign), 2003-2007. *Fulton J. Sheen (1895–1979) – Catholic Archbishop (Titular Archbishop of Newport, Wales; Bishop of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rochester; Auxiliary Bishop of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York) and sainthood candidate, former host of ''The Catholic Hour'' on radio and the television program ''Life is Worth Living''.


Rockville, Maryland

, Maryland Takoma Park Silver Spring (Silver Spring, Maryland) former_names Montgomery Junior College '''Montgomery College''' is a public, open access community college located in Montgomery County (Montgomery County, Maryland), Maryland, just outside Washington, D.C. in the United States. The college has three campuses, the largest of which is in Rockville (Rockville, Maryland); the other campuses are in Takoma Park (Takoma Park, Maryland) Silver Spring


Thimphu

Commons:Category:Thimphu WikiPedia:Thimphu


Watford

Wikipedia:Watford Commons:Category:Watford DMOZ:Regional Europe United Kingdom England Hertfordshire Watford


Bristol

"w" Commons:Category:Bristol Dmoz:Regional Europe United Kingdom England Bristol Wikipedia:Bristol


Tallahassee, Florida

Although identifying as a separate station in its own right, WSWG is considered a semi-satellite of WCTV in Tallahassee, Florida. Master control and some internal operations are based at that station's facilities on Halstead Boulevard next to the I-10 (Interstate 10 in Florida), SR 61 (Florida State Road 61) Thomasville Road, and US 319 (U.S. Route 319) Capitol Circle Northeast (Capital Circle (Tallahassee, Florida)) junction in the city's Carriage Gate section. It airs some of WCTV's syndicated (television syndication) programming but at different times. There are also programs that only air on WSWG while some are only seen on WCTV. This station airs separate station identifications and commercials. Syndicated programming exclusive to WSWG includes ''The Real Housewives of Orange County''. thumb right A few things for themselves, Florida, venereal soil, Disclose to the lover (File:STS-95_Florida_From_Space.jpg). ~ Wallace Stevens '''Florida (w:Florida)''' is a state (w:U.S. state) in the southeastern region of the United States, bordered to the west by the Gulf of Mexico (w:Gulf of Mexico), to the north by Alabama (w:Alabama) and Georgia (Georgia (U.S. state)), to the east by the Atlantic Ocean, and to the south by the Straits of Florida. Florida is the 22nd most extensive (w:List of U.S. states and territories by area), the 4th most populous (w:List of U.S. states and territories by population), and the 8th most densely populated (w:List of U.S. states and territories by population density) of the 50 United States (w:List of U.S. states). The state capital is Tallahassee (w:Tallahassee, Florida), the largest city is Jacksonville (w:Jacksonville, Florida), and the largest metropolitan area is the Miami metropolitan area (w:Miami metropolitan area). Quotes


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017