. Ford, using 140,000 feet of lumber, 1 1 4 tons of nails, and 1 1 4 miles of putty on a site previously occupied by wooden market sheds. The low roof and wide canopies are typical of market construction in this period, and interesting features included the twin towers, the drinking fountain at the front door, and the use of stone in the trim. (Start, Turner, Gardhouse, Bennett, ''Historic Public Buildings of Woodstock, Ontario'') Woodstock Jail Gaol File:Oxford County Board of Health
Canada's most sensational murder case. The death mask at the entrance is of blind Thomas Cook, hanged in 1862 for murdering his wife; his head rolled into the crowd, and afterwards public hangings were discontinued. The building was recently restored by C.A. Ventin architects of Simcoe, after a decade of lobbying by the "Save the Jail" Committee, with spectacular results, and is now occupied by Oxford County Public Health.(Start, Turner, Gardhouse,Bennett, ''Historic Public Buildings
proportioned and dramatic. The library traces its history back to a reading society formed in 1835 with Rev. William Bettridge of Old St. Paul's Church as president, and possesses the only complete set of minute books in the province dating back to 1835. Start, Turner, Gardhouse,Bennett, ''Historic Public Buildings of Woodstock, Ontario'' Oxford County Court House thumbnail 180px left Oxford County Court House (File:Oxford County Court House Woodstock Ontario 2.JPG) Built in 1892 to replace
and Zalman Baruch Melamed, JewishVirtualLibrary, ''BET(H)-EL''. Torah MiTzion, ''Love of The Land: Beit El''. 23 October 2004 partly by trespassing on private land and partly on land purchased by the Himnuta company (a subsidiary of JNF-KKL). It includes public buildings and civilian permanent homes
by the Company for the Development of Beit El's Yeshiva Complex with CEO Yoel Tzur, together with Amana (Amana (organization))., was started in 2003. 2008 Ulpana petition, par. 24,29 English summary of the petition All structures in Ulpana, including public buildings, permanent homes, caravans and an industrial area
the hot summer months, and it was initially planned according to the "garden city" model (Garden city movement) of urban design then in vogue. The plan called for chalet-type summer homes in the Alpine style, laid out among gardens and curving tree-lined streets. A Royal Palace was also built for Sultan Muhammad b. Yûsuf. The town's first public buildings consisted of a post office and a church. Moreover, a penitentiary was built which served as a POW camp during WWII. As elsewhere in Morocco, a shanty town called Timdiqîn soon grew up next to the colonial establishment. It housed the Moroccan population (maids, gardeners, etc.) that serviced the French vacationers. Timdiqîn was separated from the colonial garden city by a deep ravine. After independence the French properties in the original garden city were slowly bought up by Moroccans. The town was enlarged and endowed with a mosque, a municipal market and public housing estates. Furthermore, the shanty neighborhood of Timdiqîn was rebuilt with proper civic amenities. In 1979 Ifrane became the seat of the administrative province of the same name and some government services were established. In 1995 Al Akhawayn University, an English-language, American-curriculum public university opened and this has helped re-launch Ifrane as a desirable destination for domestic tourism. Consequently, Ifrane continues to develop as both a summer and winter resort. Old chalets in the center of town are being demolished and replaced with condominium complexes, while vacation centers and gated housing estates are springing up on the outskirts. thumb left Snowy Ifrane, in Morocco (File:ifrane snow.jpg) The Middle Atlas Mountains consist mostly of a series of limestone plateaus. Not far from Ifrane in the Middle Atlas is Cèdre Gouraud Forest. These plateaus receive considerable precipitation—averaging about 1100 1200 ml year in Ifrane—and are naturally wooded, with scrub oak forests alternating with cedar. The Middle Atlas lies in the center of Morocco and constitutes its natural water tower, as many of the country’s most important river systems: the Moulouya, the Sebou, the Bou Regreg, and the Oum Rbia originate in it. Historically, however, despite its centrality, the Middle Atlas has been an “empty quarter.” Though the area was regularly crossed by traders, and though the alpine summer pasture was used by herders, the harsh climate and relatively poor soils long impeded permanent human settlement. Today the Middle Atlas is still one of the least densely populated parts of Morocco, even when compared to other mountainous regions such as the High Atlas and the Rif. The modern town of Ifrane was established by the French administration in 1928. A small fort overlooking Oued Tizguit (now part of the palace precinct) had already been built during the period of military conquest in order to secure the Fez to Khenifra road across the mountains. The gently rolling landscape, with fresh springs and wildflowers, was judged to have potential as a summer resort for colon families from the Saïss Plain, Meknes and Fez. Fifty hectares of agricultural land upstream from the zâwiyah, in an area originally designated as Tourthit, or “garden,”was expropriated for the project. Ifrane was conceived as a “hill station” or colonial type of settlement. It is a resort town set high up in the mountains so that Europeans can find relief from the summer heat of tropical colonies. The British were the first to develop this type of resort in India, the best known of which is Simla in the Himalayas which served as their “summer capital.” The French built similar hill stations in Indochina, such as Dalat established in 1921. Ifrane was not the only hill station to be built in Morocco. The French also built one in neighboring Immouzer, as well as at Oukaimeden in the High Atlas. Hill stations share some common characteristics. As they are intended for expatriate European families, and they are often designed in such a way as to remind their foreign inhabitants of their distant homelands. The architectural style adopted is imported from the mother country in order that the place look like “little England” or “douce France.” This is the case in Ifrane where various mountain styles such as “maison basque” “Jura” and “Savoy” were used. Moreover, trees and flowering plants were also imported from the European home country. This too was intended to heighten the appearance and feeling of home. In Ifrane, lilac trees, plane trees (platanes), chestnut trees (marronniers and châtaigniers) and linden trees (tilleuls) were all imported for this purpose. Ifrane is a popular altitude training destination Egan, E. Notes from higher grounds: an altitude training guide for endurance athletes, Kukimbia Huru Publishing and many of Morocco's top athletes, as well as some form Europe, have trained in the town. Climate Located in the Atlas Mountains, Ifrane has a Mediterranean climate, shifting from cold in winter to warm days in the summer months of July–September. The nights are always cool (or cold in winter), with daytime temperatures generally rising about +6~12 °C (+10~21 °F) every day. The winter highs typically reach only
This church is the most important historically but there are more than a dozen other temples in town, some of which date from the 16th century, that have been designated as historical monuments by INAH. To the right of the parish church, also facing the plaza, is the municipal palace. Across from the palace is the municipal market. Typical dishes for the area, which can be found in the market, include moles (mole (sauce)), tamales, and barbacoa. During the rainy season, dishes based on wild mushrooms, fresh corn and green fava beans are popular
I in 1086. However, many of Latakia's great public buildings were already in ruins by then. '''Thierry of Alsace''' (Dietrich) ( – January 17, 1168), in Flanders known as ''Diederik van den Elzas'', was count of Flanders from 1128 to 1168. He was the youngest son of Duke Thierry II of Lorraine (Thierry II, Duke of Lorraine) and Gertrude of Flanders (daughter of Robert I, Count of Flanders Robert I of Flanders
seat would be Perryville, West Virginia. However, it was disputed, delaying the time when the courthouse, jail, and many other public buildings would be built. In 1867, West Virginia Legislature passed a law making the county seat near Coalwood (Coalwood, West Virginia). '''Northfork''' is a town in McDowell County (McDowell County, West Virginia), West Virginia, USA, located on US Route 52 between Welch (Welch, West Virginia) and Bluefield (Bluefield, West Virginia). #Federal Correctional Institution, Morgantown—Morgantown (Morgantown, West Virginia), West Virginia #Federal Correctional Institution, McDowell—Welch (Welch, West Virginia), West Virginia #Federal Correctional Institution, Oxford—Oxford (Oxford, Wisconsin), Wisconsin birth_date Retrieved on 11-30-2008.
, a chamber tomb dating to the Neo-Assyrian period has been excavated. During the Sassanian (Sassanid Empire) period and the Abbasid Caliphate, Erbil was an important center for Christianity and the Assyrians. After the Mongols (Mongol Empire) captured the citadel in 1258, Erbil's importance began to decline. During the 20th century, the urban structure was significantly modified, as a result of which a number of houses and public buildings were
of the first public works murals executed under the Public Works Administration (Works Progress Administration), later known as the WPA. "The primitive nature of Coit Tower would lend itself better to that sort of thing than other public buildings," was Arthur Brown's first reaction to the project. Diego Rivera included Brown among the designers and craftsmen in his fresco mural of ''The Making of a Fresco Showing the Building of a City'' (1931). 'Firebelle Lil' Coit was one of the more eccentric characters in the history of North Beach (North Beach, San Francisco) and Telegraph Hill (Telegraph Hill, San Francisco), smoking cigars and wearing trousers long before it was socially acceptable for women to do so. She was an avid gambler and often dressed like a man in order to gamble in the males-only establishments that dotted North Beach (North Beach, San Francisco, California). Coit was reputed to have shaved her head so her wigs would fit better. On October 19, 1973, Richard Hague, 30, and his wife, Quita, 28, were kidnapped by a group of men and forced into a white van as they took an after-dinner stroll near their home on Telegraph Hill (Telegraph Hill, San Francisco). Quita was fondled by two men and then nearly decapitated by a third with a machete. One of the men who had fondled Quita then similarly hacked Richard and left him for dead, but he survived. at Kearny Street below Coit Tower and eventually resumes as a pedestrian stairway known as the Filbert Street Steps. The location of Filbert Street in San Francisco, Google Maps. '''''The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill''''' is a 2005 (2005 in film) documentary film directed, produced, and edited by Judy Irving. It chronicles the relationship between Mark Bittner, an unemployed musician who is living rent-free in a cabin in Telegraph Hill (Telegraph Hill, San Francisco) in San Francisco, California, and a flock of feral parrots (cherry-headed (Red-masked Parakeet) and two blue-crowned conures (Blue-crowned Parakeet)) that he feeds and interacts with. Bittner also wrote a book by the same name on the subject. In May 2007, the documentary aired on the PBS series ''Independent Lens''. thumb right 250px By the time of this postcard circa 1920s, San Francisco had been fully rebuilt. (Image:MarketStreetSanFran.JPG) Almost immediately after the quake re-planning and reconstruction plans were hatched to quickly rebuild the city. One of the more famous and ambitious plans, proposed before the fire, came from famed urban planner, Daniel Burnham. His bold plan called for Haussmann (Baron Haussmann) style avenues, boulevards, and arterial thoroughfares that radiated across the city, a massive civic center complex with classical structures, what would have been the largest urban park in the world, stretching from Twin Peaks to Lake Merced with a large athenaeum (wikt:athenaeum) at its peak, and various other proposals. This plan was dismissed at the time and by critics now, as impractical and unrealistic to municipal supply and demand. Property owners and the Real Estate industry were against the idea as well due to the amounts of their land the city would have to purchase to realize such proposals. While the original street grid was restored, many of Burnham's proposals eventually saw the light of day such as a neo-classical (Neoclassical architecture) civic center complex, wider streets, a preference of arterial thoroughfares, a subway under Market Street (Market Street Subway), a more people friendly Fisherman's Wharf (Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco), and a monument to the city on Telegraph Hill (Telegraph Hill, San Francisco), Coit Tower. Loa, along with fellow students Mercury (Mercury (Marvel Comics)) and Onyxx (Onyxx (comics)), was tasked with keeping peace at the riots on Telegraph Hill (Telegraph Hill, San Francisco) after the mutant-hate group "Humanity Now!" marched from Sacramento to San Francisco to promote "Proposition X," displeasing many citizens of San Francisco, mutant and non-mutant alike. ''Dark Avengers Uncanny X-Men: Utopia #1'' The last hazards to California-bound vessels were the approach and entrance to San Francisco Bay. The Spanish had picked Monterey, California as their first Capitol due to its easier and safer approach to the harbor as well as having a better climate. The Farallon Islands off the mouth of San Francisco Bay were the graveyard of several ships, and the narrow, often fog-shrouded opening into San Francisco Bay was always a danger. Soon after the ship traffic built up ship pilots (Maritime pilot) who were knowledgeable of the bay were at work boarding incoming (and outgoing) ships and guiding the ships to a safe anchorage in the bay. By 1851 the tangle of ships in the Bay had led to the creation of a Harbourmaster who dictated where ships could drop anchor. Once inside San Francisco Bay, vessels were reported and identified to the people of San Francisco by the watchman with a telescope in a tower erected in September 1849 on Telegraph Hill, San Francisco. The watchman signaled the presence of incoming ships to the people in the city by hoisting up the telegraph mast one semaphore arm for a schooner, two for a brig, three for a ship and two raised about 45 degree semaphore signals for a paddle steamer. These signals were soon known by most residents of San Francisco and today are commemorated in the name Telegraph Hill. The first landing place on the north-eastern tip of the San Francisco peninsula was a rocky promontory below Telegraph Hill (Telegraph Hill, San Francisco) later known as Clarke's Point that jutted into the San Francisco Bay at the line of what is now Broadway and Battery Streets. Yerba Buena Cove swept inland from the subsequently named Clarke's Point to as far as Montgomery Street to the west, and further south and east to Rincon Point at the south of Market area at the foot of Folsom and Spear streets.