, who was killed by the Iroquois at Long Sault in 1660. Later history The City of Dollard-des-Ormeaux obtained a new charter and was incorporated as a city on February 4, 1960. Dollard-des-Ormeaux was originally a bedroom community in the early 1960s. In 1961, there were 1,800 residents, and there were 25,000 in 1971. One of its original main axes, Anselme-Lavigne Street in the Westpark neighbourhood, is named for a farmer who sold his land to the Belcourt Construction
the river. thumb Panel from the original main altar of the Santo Domingo Church (File:CalvarioCorzoTuxtla.jpg) After the conquest, the town was refounded with the name of Villa Real de Chiapa by a large kapok tree called La Pochota as the first European city in Chiapas. However, the hot climate of the area did not entice many Spanish to stay. Most instead went to the northeast into the cooler mountains to found another city, today San Cristobal. The mountain city would be founded as Chiapa de los Españoles, while Villa Real de Chiapa would become known Chiapa de los Indios, left to the indigenous and monks there to evangelize them. Despite this, the city would remain one of the most important for the first 200 years of colonization. While it was an encomienda at first, it became a dependency of the Spanish Crown in 1552, changing its name to Pueblo de la Real Corona de Chiapa de Indios. The developers of the area were Dominican friars, who followed the ideals of Bartolomé de las Casas in neighboring San Cristobal. They worked to protect the indigenous against the abuses of the Spanish colonizers, allowing them to gain the trust of the local people and convert them to Christianity. They also taught the local indigenous crafts such as European pottery methods, fireworks making and rope making. The Dominicans also built many of the landmarks of the town such as the La Pila fountain. This protection and the very high percentage of indigenous population in the colonial period allowed for many indigenous names to survive to the present day. Along with surnames such as Grajales, Castellanos, Marino Hernández, there is Nandayapa, Tawa, Nuriulú, Nampulá and Nangusé among others. In 1849, the city was declared the seat of its district. The town was officially declared a city in 1851. “de Corzo” was added to the name in 1881 in honor of Liberal (Reform War) politician Angel Albino Corzo. In 1863, there was a battle between the French and the Liberals (French Intervention in Mexico), with the latter led by Salvador Urbina. Between 1970 and 1979, the construction of the Chicoasén Dam caused tremblers in the area. One of these toppled the large bell in the main church. The main highway that connects the city with San Cristóbal was built in 2000. During this same year, the first non PRI (Partido Revolucionario Institucional) municipal president was elected, from the National Action Party (National Action Party (Mexico)). Archeology thumb Date inscription from Stele 2 from the Chiapa de Corzo site (File:Stela2,Chiapa de Corzo.JPG) While there is evidence of human occupation in the region from at least the Archaic period (Mesoamerican chronology) the main archeological site for the area is near the modern town of Chiapa de Corzo. It was one of the largest settlements in early Mesoamerica occupied from 1200 BCE to 600 CE. This site had been occupied from at least 1400 BCE until sometime in the late Classic period. The site reached its height between 700 BCE to 200 CE, when it was a large settlement along major trade routes. Lowe, pp. 122–123. The site is important for a number of reasons. First, while it was definitely inhabited by Mixe (Mixe languages)-Zoque (Zoque languages) speakers, it has strong ties to the Olmecs, but it is not known what exactly theses ties were. Some theories state that the population was genetically related to the Olmecs, while others suppose that they were dominated by the Olmecs initially but then eventually broke away. There have been significant finds here such as the oldest Mesoamerican Long Count calendar with the date of 36 BCE on a monument, as well as a pottery shard with the oldest instance of writing system (Mesoamerican writing systems) yet discovered. Justeson, p. 2. A recent discovery has been the oldest pre Hispanic (Spanish conquest of the Aztec Empire) tomb, dated to between 700 and 500 BCE. It was found in a previously excavated 20-meter-tall pyramid, but in the very center. The occupant is richly attired with more than twenty axes found as offerings, placed in the cardinal directions. The culture is considered to be Olmec although more exact dating needs to be done. The offerings show Olmec influence, such as depictions of wide eyes and lips, but other typical Olmec decorations such as earspools (Plug (jewellery)) and breastplates are missing. In addition to the axes, there are also more than three thousand pieces made of jade, river pearls, obsidian and amber, from areas as far away as Guatemala and the Valley of Mexico, showing trade networks. The face was covered in a seashell with eye and mouth openings, the earliest example of a funeral mask. The Sumidero Canyon was once the site of an epic battle between the Spainiards and Chiapanecan Indians. Many Chiapanecans chose to throw themselves from the high edges of the canyon rather than be defeated by Spanish forces. Today, the canyon is a popular destination for ecotourism. Visitors often take boat trips down the river that runs through the canyon and enjoy the area's natural beauty including the many birds and abundant vegetation. The Spanish introduced new crops such as sugar cane, wheat, barley and indigo as main economic staples along native ones such as corn, cotton, cacao (cacao bean) and beans. Livestock such as cattle, horses and sheep were introduced as well. Regions would specialize in certain crops and animals depending on local conditions and for many of these regions, communication and travel were difficult. Most Europeans and their descendents tended to concentrate in cities such as Ciudad Real (San Cristóbal de las Casas), Comitán, Chiapa (Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas) and Tuxtla (Tuxtla Gutiérrez). Intermixing of the races was prohibited by colonial law but by the end of the 17th century there was a significant mestizo population. Added to this was a population of African slaves brought in by the Spanish (Afro-Mexican) in the middle of the 16th century due to the loss of native workforce. Jiménez González, p. 30–31. The major center for ceramics in the state is the city of Amatenango del Valle, with its barro blanco (white clay) pottery. Jiménez González, p. 44. The most traditional ceramic in Amatenango and Aguacatenango is a type of large jar called a cantaro used to transport water and other liquids. Many pieces created from this clay are ornamental as well as traditional pieces for everyday use such as comals, dishes, storage containers and flowerpots. All pieces here are made by hand using techniques that go back centuries. Other communities that produce ceramics include Chiapa de Corzo (Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas), Tonalá (Tonalá, Chiapas), Ocuilpa, Suchiapa and San Cristóbal de las Casas. As a municipality, the city is the local government authority for eighty three other communities which cover a territory of 412.40km2. The three urban communities of the municipality are Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Copoya and El Jobo. However, all of the rural communities have populations of less than 600 and most have less than 200. Important rural communities include Emiliano Zapata (Agua Fría), La Libertad, Tierra Colorada, Lacandón, San Juan and San Vicente El Alto. It borders the municipalities of San Fernando (San Fernando, Chiapas), Osumacinta, Chiapa de Corzo (Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas), Suchiapa, Ocozocoautla and Berriozábal. - 024 Chiapa de Corzo (Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas) Chiapa de Corzo (Chiapa de Corzo, Chiapas) -
, Australia. It runs through the Central Coast (Central Coast (New South Wales)), Hunter (Hunter Valley) and the New England (New England (Australia)) regions. The line was the original main line between Sydney and Brisbane (Brisbane, Queensland), however this required a change of gauge at Wallangarra. The line is now closed north of Armidale (Armidale, New South Wales), and the main route between Brisbane and Sydney is now the North Coast railway line, New South Wales
easily accessed by automobile. Note that "Highway 2" (Queen's Line, through downtown Chatham) and "Highway 3" (Talbot Trail, along the Lake Erie waterfront) are marked locally as county or regional roads on maps issued after 1998. Highway 2 is the original main road from Windsor (Windsor (Ontario)) to Montreal (bypassed by 401), Highway 3 is the road from Detroit (bridge and tunnel) to the Buffalo-Niagara region along the north shore of Lake Erie. See
Council location Charleston, W.Va. isbn 0-9778498-0-5 pages 505 chapter Moundsville Penitentiary History The original main line of the Baltimore and Ohio (B&O) Railroad (Baltimore and Ohio Railroad) reached the site of Piedmont on July 21, 1851, and in 1853 connected Baltimore, Maryland, and the Ohio River at Wheeling (Wheeling, West Virginia), then (like Piedmont) in Virginia, and now in West Virginia. The line through Piedmont is still a major segment of the B&O system, now part of CSX Transportation. '''Bethlehem''' is a village in Ohio County (Ohio County, West Virginia), West Virginia, United States. It is part of the Wheeling, West Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 2,499 at the 2010 census (2010 United States Census). '''Clearview''' is a village in Ohio County (Ohio County, West Virginia), West Virginia, United States. It is part of the Wheeling, West Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Area (Wheeling metropolitan area). The population was 590 at the 2000 census. '''Triadelphia''' is a town in Ohio County (Ohio County, West Virginia), West Virginia, United States. It is part of the Wheeling, West Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Area (Wheeling metropolitan area). The population was 817 at the 2000 census. '''Valley Grove''' is a village in Ohio County (Ohio County, West Virginia), West Virginia, United States. It is part of the Wheeling, West Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Area (Wheeling metropolitan area). The population was 405 at the 2000 census. '''West Liberty''' is a town in Ohio County (Ohio County, West Virginia), West Virginia, United States. The population was 1,220 at the 2000 census (2000 United States Census). It is the home of West Liberty University. It is part of the Wheeling, West Virginia Metropolitan Statistical Area (Wheeling metropolitan area). Other emerging towns challenged Pittsburgh. In 1818, the first segment of the National Road was completed, from Baltimore to Wheeling (Wheeling, West Virginia), bypassing Pittsburgh. This threatened to render the town less essential in east-west commerce. In the coming decade, however, many improvements were made to the transportation infrastructure. In 1818, the region's first river bridge, the Smithfield Street Bridge, opened, the first step in building the city of bridges. Retrieved on 11-30-2008.
facility. Saskatoon is a stop on The Canadian passenger transcontinental rail route operated by Via Rail. The Saskatoon railway station is located in the west end of the city; it was opened in the late 1960s as a replacement for Saskatoon's original main station which was located on 1st Avenue downtown
remained part of British Telecom until 1987. At Valley Parade there are now two memorials. One, now re-situated to that end of the stand where the fire began, is a sculpture donated on the initial re-opening of Valley Parade in December 1986 by a then Jersey-based former West Yorkshire woman. The other, situated by the main entrance, was donated by the club after its £7,500,000 renovation of the original main stand in 2002. It has a black marble fascia on which the names and ages of those that died are inscribed in gold, and a black marble platform on which people can leave flowers and mementoes. There is a twin memorial sculpture, unveiled on 11 May 1986, which has the names of the dead inscribed on it. They were donated by Bradford's twin city (Town twinning) of Hamm, Germany, and are situated in front of Bradford City Hall in both locations. After the fire, Bradford City also announced they would thereafter play with black trim on their shirt collars and arms as a permanent memorial to those who had died. ''Chef du Commonwealth'' Cameroon, Canada, Seychelles, Vanuatu, United Kingdom Crown Dependencies of Jersey and Guernsey - Today, the British Isles contain two sovereign states: the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. There are also three Crown dependencies: Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man. The United Kingdom may be further broken down into the four countries of the United Kingdom: England, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Each of these countries bears its own history, with all but Northern Ireland having been independent states at one point. The History of the formation of the United Kingdom is very complex. In the ensuing decades, Sandy Point became host to a small population of multi-cultural and multi-lingual residents including Mi'kmaq, English, Jersey, and French residents. Sandy Point also became known for a genetic defect among its population which was termed Allderdice syndrome, also known to locals in the surrounding area as "Sandy Point Syndrome". The F100's introduction also enabled Air Europe to introduce "mainline" jet services between Gatwick and Jersey, following British Airways' withdrawal from what had always been one of British Caledonian (Reasons for the failure of British Caledonian)'s few, genuinely profitable short-haul routes, as well as to replace the Air Europe Express service between Gatwick and Düsseldorf.
, the crossing between that branch and the line to Monroe. While the original main line was to the south between Toledo (Toledo, Ohio) and Elyria (Elyria, Ohio), the northern alignment (the Sandusky Division) eventually became the main line. '''USS ''Toledo'' (SSN-769)''', a The Spanish citizens worked aboard U.S. ships between 1950 and 1998, and claim that they were exposed to asbestos dust and fibers from piping insulation produced by Owens-Illinois. The piping insulation was originally manufactured in Sayreville (w:Sayreville, New Jersey), Middlesex County (w:Middlesex County, New Jersey), and Berlin (w:Berlin, New Jersey), Camden County (w:Camden County, New Jersey), New Jersey. The workers say they suffer from diseases related to asbestos such as asbestosis (w:Asbestosis). Owens-Illinois has headquarters in Toledo, Ohio (w:Toledo, Ohio) and is a Delaware corporation (w:Delaware corporation).
Saints debut on 14 November 1931 at Swansea Town (Swansea Town F.C.), and signed as a professional in November, becoming first-choice centre-forward by the end of the 1931–32 season. May events * 11 May – The London and South Western Railway opens its original main line throughout to Southampton (England).
notoriety, it gradually became an integral part of English folklore, exerting a lasting influence on England's popular culture that endures to present date. operator Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield city-served Doncaster, Sheffield, Rotherham, Barnsley (South Yorkshire), Retford, Worksop(Bassetlaw District) location Finningley, South Yorkshire At Sheffield's Northern General Hospital one of the original main buildings is named after him, and in the city centre is a Wetherspoons pub called ''The Benjamin Huntsman''. Pub Guide, accessed January 2010 History Gilbert Deya was ordained by the United Evangelical Church of Kenya He was an evangelist in Kenya in the late 1980s to early 1990s, but moved to the UK (United Kingdom), establishing Gilbert Deya Ministries in 1997. The ministry now has churches in Liverpool, London, Birmingham, Nottingham, Luton, Reading (Reading, Berkshire), and Manchester, Sheffield and has recently acquired a building and planning permission in Leeds. WikiPedia:Sheffield Commons:Category:Sheffield