Places Known For

modern art


Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh

. There are no publicly accessible ''Cibotium'' collections growing outdoors in the United Kingdom - although they are sometimes glimpsed in Californian garden designs - but there are two outstanding glasshouse collections at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, and at RBG Edinburgh (Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh) in Scotland. thumb 380px The neoclassical facade of the Scottish National Gallery of Modern Art (Image:Wfm scot nat art gallery.jpg) The '''Scottish National Gallery

of Modern Art''' in Edinburgh, holds the national collection of modern art. When opened in 1960, the collection was held in Inverleith House, at the Royal Botanic Gardens (Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh). In 1980 it moved to its current home: a Neo Classical (Neoclassicism) building in the west of Edinburgh, near the Water of Leith, built in 1825-1828 by William Burn for John Watson's Hospital (John Watson's Institution), a school now incorporated in George Watson's College


Civic Center, San Francisco

at sfmoma.org. left thumb 200px The atrium of The San Francisco Museum of Modern Art (File:San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, interior staircase.jpg) Public celebrations After news of the Japanese acceptance and before Truman's announcement, Americans began celebrating "as if joy had been rationed and saved up for the three years, eight months and seven days since Sunday, Dec. 7, 1941 (Attack on Pearl Harbor)." In Washington, D.C. a crowd attempted to break

right. They include its Civic Center (Civic Center, San Francisco), Coit Tower atop Telegraph Hill (Telegraph Hill, San Francisco), the Ferry Building on its waterfront, the world renowned Golden Gate Bridge, the twisty and windy Lombard Street (Lombard Street, San Francisco) in Russian Hill, "Painted Ladies", terraced victorian houses that can be found city wide, the San Francisco cable car system, the abstract San Francisco Museum of Modern Art


South of Market, San Francisco

. Moscone North opened in May 1992, and most recently Moscone West in June 2003. With the opening of the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art in 1995, the Mission and Howard Street area of the South of Market has become a hub for museums and performances spaces. The area has long been home to bars and nightclubs. During the 1980s and 1990s, some of the warehouses there served as the home to the city's budding underground rave, punk (Punk subculture), and Indie music independent music

. , Yelp (Yelp, Inc.), Zynga, Airbnb, Rapleaf, Sony Entertainment Network and Advent Software among others. The area is also home to the few Big-box stores in San Francisco such as Costco, REI, Nordstrom Rack (Nordstrom), and Best Buy. SOMA is home to many of San Francisco's museums, include SFMOMA (San Francisco Museum of Modern Art), the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts, and the Museum of the African Diaspora. The Cartoon Art Museum, the children's Zeum, and the Contemporary Jewish Museum are also in the Yerba Buena area. The Old Mint (San Francisco Mint#Old Mint), which served as the San Francisco Mint from 1874 to 1937, has been restored and is schedule to reopen to the public in 2012 following an 8-year renovation. The Center for the Arts, along with Yerba Buena Gardens and the Metreon, is built on top of Moscone North. Across Howard Street, built on top of Moscone South, is a children's park featuring a large play area, an ice skating rink, a bowling alley, a restaurant, the Zeum, and the restored merry-go-round from Playland-At-the-Beach (Playland (San Francisco)). The children's park and Zeum are joined to Yerba Buena Gardens by a footbridge over Howard Street. Many small theatre companies and venues add to the cultural attraction of the SOMA, such as the Lamplighters (Lamplighters Music Theatre), The Garage, Theatre Rhinoceros, Boxcar Theater, 77X Candlestick Express California and Van Ness (Van Ness Avenue (San Francisco)) Pre-game rowspan "2" Candlestick Park rowspan "2" South of Market (South of Market, San Francisco), Civic Center (Civic Center, San Francisco) rowspan "2" Route map (PDF) -


Middlesbrough

centre of Middlesbrough remains home to a variety of architecture ranging from the Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art, opened in January 2007 to replace a number of former outlying galleries; and Centre North East, formerly Corporation House, which opened in 1971. Many believe that there is a beauty to be found in the surrounding landscape of industry along the River Tees from Billingham to Wilton. The terraced Victorian (Victorian architecture) streets surrounding the town centre are characterful elements of Middlesbrough's social and historical identity, and the vast streets surrounding Parliament Road and Abingdon Road a reminder of the area's wealth and rapid growth during industrialisation. 250px left thumb Middlesbrough Town Hall (File:Middlesbrough Town Hall Summer 2013.jpg) Middlesbrough Town Hall, designed by George Gordon Hoskins and built between 1883 and 1887 is a Grade II listed building, and a very imposing structure. Of comparable grandeur, is the Empire Palace of Varieties, of 1897, the finest surviving theatre edifice designed by Ernest Runtz in the UK. The first artist to star there in its guise as a music hall was Lillie Langtry. Later it became an early nightclub (1950s), then a bingo hall and is now once again a nightclub. Further afield, in Linthorpe, is the Middlesbrough Theatre opened by Sir John Gielgud in 1957; it was one of the first new theatres built in England after the Second World War. 250px right thumb Middlesbrough Central (Public) Library (File:Boro Central Library 2011.jpg) The town includes England's only public sculpture by Claes Oldenburg, WikiPedia:Middlesbrough Dmoz:Regional Europe United Kingdom England Cleveland Middlesbrough Commons:Category:Middlesbrough


Surgut

Surgut Art Museum alt Сургутский художественный музей url http: www.shm-surgut.ru email address ul. 30 let Pobedy 21 2 lat 61.253694 long 73.423538 directions phone +7 346 2516808 tollfree fax hours price content Opened in 1992 and built up from scratch this museum hosts both a permanent exhibition of the region art and culture as well as several rotating exhibitions on modern art. *


Telegraph Hill, San Francisco

be found city wide, the San Francisco cable car system, the abstract San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, the San Francisco – Oakland Bay Bridge, the ruins of the once great Sutro Baths, and the Transamerica Pyramid. - 3 100px (Image:SFSupervisorDistrict3.svg) David Chiu (David Chiu (politician)) North Beach (North Beach, San Francisco), Chinatown (Chinatown, San Francisco), Telegraph Hill (Telegraph Hill, San Francisco), North


University City, Philadelphia

, Philadelphia , Penn's modern art museum ** University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, also called "The Penn Museum" Charitable *Neighborhood Bike Works: Donates bicycles and helmets to local kids. Offers training in bicycle repair. *Philadelphia Elwyn (Elwyn (company)): Care for the mentally disabled. * Philadelphia Ronald McDonald House: A "home away from home" for families of seriously ill children receiving treatment


Mérida, Mérida

dozen parks, some of which are described below. ;Boulevard de los Pintores (Painters' Boulevard): On this street painters congregate in order to create, exhibit, and sell their works. ;Aquarium Garden: This aquarium exhibits both fresh and salt water fish. It also has collections relating to Mérida's rural past. ;Beethoven Park: Located in front of the Museum of Modern Art in the northern area of the city, this pretty park has a clock on the ground, whose numbers are flowerpots, and large mechanical carillon clock with wooden elves that play melodies from the famous German composer (Ludwig van Beethoven). ;Mérida Botanical Garden (Botanical Garden of Mérida): This was the first botanical garden in the city. It is located in the extreme north of the city and has about 40 hectares under cultivation. ;Parque Domingo Peña: Also called ''Paseo de la Feria'' or ''Parque de los Conquistadores'', consists of an avenue with a lookout point facing the Sierra Nevada. Student celebrations and get-togethers often take place here. ;Parque Metropolitano Albarregas: This park is the largest in the city, '''Estadio Guillermo Soto Rosa''' is a multi-use stadium in Mérida (Mérida, Mérida), Venezuela. It is currently used mostly for football (football (soccer)) matches and was the home stadium of Estudiantes de Mérida Fútbol Club until Estadio Metropolitano de Mérida opened in 2005. It currently hosts the home matches of the ULA (Universidad de Los Andes FC) football team. The stadium holds 14,000 spectators http: www.worldstadiums.com south_america countries venezuela.shtml . prominence location Mérida (Mérida, Mérida), Venezuela range Sierra Nevada (Sierra Nevada de Mérida), Andes Televen purchased eight new transmitters to reach new markets in Maturín, Valle de la Pascua, Mérida (Mérida, Mérida), Valencia (Valencia, Carabobo), and Puerto Cabello. Televen also modernized their existing transmitters in Caracas, Coro (Santa Ana de Coro), Vargas (Vargas (state)), Maracaibo, Maracay, Puerto Ordaz, Puerto La Cruz, and Margarita (Isla Margarita). Protests also occurred in six other cities, and there were violent clashes between students and throwing rocks, and police shooting plastic bullets. Demonstrations occurred in the cities of Mérida (w:Mérida, Mérida), Maracaibo (w:Maracaibo), Puerto la Cruz (w:Puerto la Cruz), San Cristóbal (w:San Cristóbal, Táchira), Barquisimeto (w:Barquisimeto) and Valencia (w:Valencia, Carabobo) on Wednesday. The Santa Barbara Airlines (w:Santa Barbara Airlines) plane took off just before dusk from the city of Mérida (w:Mérida, Mérida) en route to Simón Bolívar International Airport (w:Simón Bolívar International Airport) outside the capital city of Caracas (w:Caracas).


Roussillon

) is a commune (Communes of France) and the capital of the Pyrénées-Orientales department (Departments of France) in southern France. Perpignan was the capital of the former province (provinces of France) and county of Roussillon (''Rosselló'' in Catalan) and continental capital of the Kingdom of Majorca in the 13th and 14th centuries. History Though settlement in the area goes back to Roman times (Roman Empire), the medieval town of Perpignan seems to have been founded around the beginning of the 10th century (first mentioned in a document as ''villa Perpiniarum'' in 927). Soon Perpignan became the capital of the counts of Roussillon. In 1172 Count Girard II (Girard II of Roussillon) bequeathed his lands to the Counts of Barcelona (List of Counts of Barcelona). Perpignan acquired the institutions of a partly self-governing commune (Medieval commune) in 1197. French feudal rights (Feudalism) over Roussillon were given up by Louis IX (Louis IX of France) in the Treaty of Corbeil (1258). Hyacinthe Rigaud was born in Perpignan (Pyrénées-Orientales), the grandson of painter-gilders from Roussillon and the elder brother of another painter (Gaspard (Gaspard Rigaud)). He was trained in tailoring in his father's workshop and perfected his skills under Antoine Ranc at Montpellier from 1671 onwards, before moving to Lyon four years later. It was in these cities that he became familiar with Flemish, Dutch and Italian painting, particularly that of Rubens (Peter Paul Rubens), Van Dyck, Rembrandt and Titian, whose works he later collected. Arriving in Paris in 1681, he won the prix de Rome in 1682, but on the advice of Charles Le Brun did not make the trip to Rome to which this entitled him. Received into the Académie royale de peinture et de sculpture in 1700, he rose to the top of this institution before retiring from it in 1735. In his will, James divided his states between his sons by Yolanda of Hungary (Violant of Hungary): the aforementioned Peter received the Hispanic possessions on the mainland and James (James II of Majorca), the Kingdom of Majorca (including the Balearic Islands and the counties of Roussillon and Cerdanya) and the Lordship of Montpellier. The division inevitably produced fratricidal conflicts. In 1276, the king fell very ill at Alzira (Alzira, Valencia) and resigned his crown, intending to retire to the monastery of Poblet (Poblet Monastery), but he died at Valencia on 27 July. The latter became a new state, the third kingdom associated with the Crown of Aragon (or, as some historians now call it, the Catalan-Aragonese empire), with its own court and a new ''fuero (fueros)'' (code of laws): the ''Furs de Valencia''. In contrast, the Majorcan territory together with that of the counts of Cerdanya and Roussillon and the city of Montpellier were left as a kingdom for his son James II of Majorca as the Kingdom of Majorca. This division began a period of struggle that ended with the annexation of that kingdom by the Crown of Aragon in 1344 by Peter IV "the Ceremonious". On James' death, the lands of the Crown of Aragon were divided, with Aragon and Valencia, along with the Catalan counties, going to the eldest son, Peter, while the Balearic Islands (constituted as the Kingdom of Majorca), alongside the territories in the Languedoc (Montpellier and Roussillon), went to the second son, James (James II of Majorca). Peter and Constance were crowned in Zaragoza (the capital of Aragon) in November by the archbishop of Tarragona. At this ceremony, Peter renounced all feudal obligations to the papacy which his grandfather Peter II (Peter II of Aragon) had incurred. In 1873 he published ''Passió de Nostre Senyor Jesucrist'' (Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ). He left Vinyoles d'Orís for health reasons and went to Vic. He went on a trip to Roussillon and saw the Canigou, maybe for the first time. In December, he joined the Companyia Transatlàntica as a chaplain because he was prescribed sea air for his health; he embarked in Cádiz bound for Havana. During his reign Aragonese influence north of the Pyrenees reached its zenith, a natural tendency given the affinity between the Occitan and Catalan dominions of the Crown of Aragon. His realms incorporated not only Provence (from 1166 or just before), Víctor Balaguer. § "Muerte del Conde de Provenza. Guerras entre el Rey de Aragón y el Conde de Tolosa. Don Alfonso se apodera de la Provenza. (De 1166 a 1168)", in ''Historia de Cataluña y de la Corona de Aragon''. Barcelona: Salvador Manero, 1861, vol. II, book V chap. 2, pp. 11–18. but also the counties of Cerdanya (1168) and Roussillon (inherited in 1172). Gerardo II of Rosellon (1164–1174) willed in his testament that "the entire Rosellon I give to my lord the king of Aragón" for the loyalty that he had in his sovereing Alphonso II who was immediately recognized as king in Perpignan. See José Ángel Sesma Muñoz (2000). ''La Corona de Aragón''. Zaragoza: CAI (Colección Mariano de Pano y Ruata, 18), pp. 59–60. Béarn and Bigorre paid homage to him in 1187. Alfonso's involvement


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017