Places Known For

modern appearance


Belém

on the Tocantins River. Tucuruí Dam Tourism Belém has a modern appearance with tree-lined streets, several plazas and public gardens, and many noteworthy buildings. The north's leading educational and cultural centre, it is the seat of a bishopric (Diocese), and its cathedral (Igreja da Sé, founded in 1917) is one of Brazil's largest. Santo Alexandre, the oldest of Belém's


Durrës

and developed into a major seaport under the rule of King Zog (Zog of Albania), with a modern harbour being constructed in 1927. An earthquake in 1926 damaged some of the city and the rebuilding that followed gave the city its more modern appearance. During the 1930s, the Bank of Athens had a branch in the city. thumb right 230px Italian invasion of Albania Italian soldiers (File:Durazzo, Albania, April 1939, Italian soldiers entering the city.jpg) entering the city on 7 April 1939 after facing fierce resistance from Mujo Ulqinaku and the Royal Albanian Army. The Second World War saw Durrës (called ''Durazzo'' again in Italian) and the rest of Albania being annexed to the Kingdom of Italy (Kingdom of Italy (1861–1946)) between 1939–1943, then occupied by Nazi Germany until 1944. Durrës's strategic value as a seaport made it a high-profile military target for both sides. It was the site of the initial Italian landings (Italian invasion of Albania) on 7 April 1939 (and was fiercely defended by Mujo Ulqinaku) as well as the launch point for the ill-fated Italian invasion of Greece (Greco-Italian War). The city was heavily damaged by Allied (Allies of World War II) bombing during the war and the port installations were blown up by the retreating Germans in 1944. The Communist regime of Enver Hoxha rapidly rebuilt the city following the war, establishing a variety of heavy industries in the area and expanding the port. It became the terminus of Albania's first railway, begun in 1947. In the late 1980s, the city was briefly renamed Durrës-Enver Hoxha. The city was and continues to remain the center of Albanian mass beach tourism. Following the collapse of communist rule in 1990, Durrës became the focus of mass emigrations from Albania with ships being hijacked in the harbour and sailed at gunpoint to Italy. In one month alone, August 1991, over 20,000 people migrated to Italy in this fashion. Italy intervened militarily, putting the port area under its control, and the city became the center of the European Community's "Operation Pelican", a food-aid program. In 1997, Albania slid into anarchy (1997 rebellion in Albania) following the collapse of a massive pyramid scheme which devastated the national economy. An Italian-led peacekeeping force was controversially deployed to Durrës and other Albanian cities to restore order, although there were widespread suggestions that the real purpose of "Operation Alba" was to prevent economic refugees continuing to use Albania's ports as a route to migrate to Italy. Following the start of the 21st century, Durrës has been revitalized as many streets were repaved, while parks and façades experienced a face lift. Economy thumb right Durrës seaside seen from the SH2 expressway exit ramp (File:Rruga SH2 - @Durrës.jpg) thumb ''Torra'' (Venetian tower) as part of Durrës Castle (File:Torra në Durrës.jpg) is touristic point. Durrës is an important link to Western Europe due to its port and its proximity to the Italian port cities, notably Bari, to which daily ferries run. As well as the dockyard, it also possesses an important shipyard and manufacturing industries, notably producing leather, plastic and tobacco products. The southern coastal stretch is renowned for its traditional mass beach tourism having experienced uncontrolled urban development. The city's beaches are also a popular destination for many foreign and local tourists, with an estimated 800,000 tourists visiting annually. Many Albanians from Tirana and elsewhere spend their summer vacations on the beaches of Durrës. In 2012, new water sanitation systems are being installed to completely eliminate sea water pollution. In contrast, the northern coastal stretch is mostly unspoiled and set to become an elite tourism destination as a number of beach resorts are being built since 2009. Neighboring districts are known for the production of good wine and a variety of foodstuffs. The port has experienced major upgrades in recent years culminating with the opening of the new terminal in July 2012. In 2012, The Globe and Mail ranked Durrës at no. 1 among 8 exciting new cruise ports to explore. 8 exciting new cruise ports to explore, The Globe and Mail, 2012-02-24 Climate Durrës has a typical Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and cool winters. The average of water temperature in Durrës is from Commons:Category:Durrës Wikipedia:Durrës Dmoz:Regional Europe Albania Localities Durres


Khartoum

-Johnston Car Company Ltd. In 1905 the company's name was changed to the Arrol-Johnston Car Company Ltd. In the same year, the company introduced a 3023cc ''12 15hp (Horsepower)'' model of more modern appearance; this, however, still used an opposed-piston engine. There was also a three-cylinder version of the dogcart; this was an uncouth 16 hp with the centre cylinder being of greater bore than the outer two. A 1905 Dogcart with solid wooden disc wheels still survives


Ljubljana

Environment: Ljubljana European Green Capital 2016 date 24 June 2014 accessdate 24 June 2014 website publisher European Commission last first Streets and squares thumb Čop Street (File:VidGajsek - Copova bottomup.jpg) Existing already in the 18th century, the Ljubljana central square, the Prešeren Square (Prešeren Square, Ljubljana)'s modern appearance has developed since the end of the 19th century. After the 1895 Ljubljana earthquake, Max


Pittsburgh

on railroads throughout the United States in the late 19th century. *'''No. 3 ''Myrtle''''': produced as a sister engine to No. 1, the No. 3 is also a three-foot narrow gauge 2-4-0 steam locomotive produced by H.K. Porter, Inc of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania in February 1943 for the Carbon Limestone Company. The LKPRR similarly altered the appearance of this engine, but gave it a slightly more modern appearance, representative of a typical oil-burning engine from the early 20th century. As such, it has a steel cab, whaleback tender (Tender (rail)), small headlight modeled on an electric prototype, and darker color scheme. The No. 3's design, name and number were inspired by a historic sugar cane engine built in 1900 for the Hawaii Railroad and retired in 1945. Commons:Category:Pittsburgh WikiPedia:Pittsburgh Dmoz:Regional North_America United_States Pennsylvania Localities P Pittsburgh


Helsinki

. The '''City-Center''' was a plan to raze and rebuild the block between the central Helsinki streets of Kaivokatu, Keskuskatu and Aleksanterinkatu, creating a unified, modern appearance for the area. Originally drafted between 1958 and 1960 by Viljo Revell, Heikki Castrén continued work on the plan after Revell's death in 1964. The fulfillment of the plan would have required the demolition of several old buildings that are today considered to be a vital part of Helsinki's heritage. European Championships (1994 European Championships in Athletics) Helsinki, Finland bgcolor "gold" align "center" 1st European Championships (1994 European Championships in Athletics) Helsinki, Finland bgcolor "silver" align "center" 2nd - 1 21 August 2002 Olympic Stadium (Helsinki Olympic Stadium), Helsinki Commons:Category:Helsinki Wikipedia:Helsinki Dmoz:Regional Europe Finland Southern Finland Localities Helsinki


Canada

students and is the only school in the Dufferin-Peel board to have the Cisco Systems Program available to students.. Cardinal Leger opened in 1976, originally named St. Stephens. The school expanded in 1980 and underwent major renovations in 1995 in order to attain its current modern appearance. The school offers a large variety of extracurricular programs, including HOPE (Helping Other People Everyday), the multi-cultural show, an extensive music program, dramatic arts program, as well


Germany

(''Typ'' 791) is a small family car produced by the Czech (Czech Republic) automaker (automotive industry) Škoda Auto between 1994 and 2001 (1995 - 2001 for the estate). It was one of the first models to benefit from Škoda Auto's takeover by the German (Germany) giant Volkswagen Group. The Felicia was a reworked version of the Favorit (Škoda Favorit), but had a fresh, more modern appearance, with a redesigned front end, and a wider range of internal combustion engines. It was premiered in October 1994 on the Charles Bridge in Prague. Serial production begin in October 1994, and ended June 2001. The company's world headquarters is located in Neu-Isenburg near Frankfurt, Germany. Its North American headquarters is located in Irving, Texas, USA, where a part of the company was founded in 1942. '''Antarctosaurus''' ( Commons:Category:Germany Wikipedia:Germany Dmoz:Regional Europe Germany


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017