Places Known For

local tradition


Toliara

of the French East India Company rescued the surviving thirty men and one widow in 1674. According to local tradition, the founders of the Sakalava kingdom were Maroseraña (or Maroseranana, "those who owned many ports") princes, from the Fiherenana (now Toliara). They quickly subdued the neighbouring princes, starting with the southern ones, in the Mahafaly area. The true founder of Sakalava dominance was Andriamisara; his son Andriandahifotsy (c1610-1658) then extended

the provinces of Antsiranana, Mahajanga and Toliara. But with the domination of the Indian Ocean by the British fleet and the end of the Arab slave trade, the Sakalava would lose their power to the emerging Merina threat. According to local tradition, the founders of the Sakalava kingdom were Maroseraña (or Maroseranana, "those who owned many ports") princes, from the Fiherenana (now Toliara). They may also be descended from the Zafiraminia (sons


Koumbi Saleh

they comment that local tradition also suggested that the first capital of Kayamagna was at Koumbi and that the town was in the Ouagadougou region, northeast of Goumbou on the road leading from Goumbou to Néma and Oualata. Archaeological site File:Trans-Saharan routes early.svg thumb right 350px Trade routes of the Western Sahara desert c. 1000-1500. Goldfields are indicated


Aiud

buildings. It is the main tourist attraction of Aiud. The citadel is fairly small, with a perimeter of 350 metres, and it is in the form of an irregular pentagon. The earliest documented evidence of the citadel extant today dates from 7 November 1293, a privilege issued by King Ladislaus IV - King of Hungary (1272–1290), but local tradition holds that the first stone watch tower was finished during the Mongol invasion of Europe in 1241. Other important events for the citadel: the serfs uprisings from 1437; the conquest of Michael the Brave; the Habsburg attack in 1704 and 1717; the Christian uprising - Religious war in 1758 - 1761; the peasant movement from 1784 and the Revolutionary wave of 1848 - 1849. The Students' Monument Due to its strong educational culture, which dates back to the foundations of the city, the Students' Monument (''Monumentul studentesc'') is the oldest monument in Aiud. It is located in the beautiful City Park, and was erected in memory of the students who fought against the Habsburg invasion in 1704. The monument was erected in 1904, 200 years after the invasion. The "Calvarul Aiudului" Monument The "Calvarul Aiudului" Monument is a modern monument in remembrance of the suffering and deaths during the Communist regime of Romania. The monument, started in 1992, is made up of many crosses (6 metres tall), symbolising the traditions of Romania. In the Communist era, Aiud was an important centre where the elite of the Communist resistance were buried, and the "Calvarul Aiudului" monument seeks to remember those. The monument is located just outside the city centre, in the southwest. The City Hall The City Hall of Aiud is located right in the centre of the city, at No. 1 Consiliul Europei street, close to the Aiud Citadel. The edifice, built in the 1890s, is built in the majestic style of those times, with balconies, statues, decorations and wonderful interiors. Museums Aiud is home to two major public museums. They are the Museum of History (temporarily closed due to renovations starting in 2013) and the Museum of Natural Science. The history museum was built in 1796 and is housed in a historical building. There is a large collection of coins, as well as medieval and pre-medieval artifacts (Artifact (archaeology)). The collection of the Museum of Natural Sciences dates back from 1720. It is based mainly on zoology, as well as botany, paleontology and geology. Churches Most of Aiud's population are Christian, but they also come from a variety of denominations (religious denomination), including Catholicism and Orthodoxism and well as Reformed, Unitarian, Baptist and Evangelical (Evangelicalism) faiths. Therefore, there are places of worship for all these religions. The Orthodox Cathedral is located in the southeast of the city, and is an impressive building with high ceilings and wonderful domes. It was built after the unification of Transylvania with the rest of Romania (Wallachia and Moldavia) in 1 December 1918. The construction started in 1927 and went on for some decades. The architecture was inspired from the St. Sofia church in Istanbul, and is built in Byzantine (Byzantine architecture) style. The Roman Catholic Church, albeit being smaller and less imposing that the Orthodox Cathedral, is still very beautiful, built in baroque style. Also, it is situated in Cuza Vodă Square, surrounding the medieval Aiud Citadel, making the Church very ideal in terms of surroundings. The church contains a large organ as well as stained glass windows which were painted by an artist from Budapest. The Reformed Church mainly serves the Hungarian (Magyars) minority of Aiud, which played a big role in the identity of the city in terms of education, art, architecture and more. Their church is arguably the most memorable of the three main churches, because it is located right in the Aiud Citadel, and is medieval in architecture style, being the oldest church in Aiud. Monasteries The most famous monastery in Aiud is the Râmeț monastery, which was built in the 15th century. Its architecture is classically Romanian, resembling the painted monasteries of Moldavia such as Voronet. In the monastery there is also a museum. In addition to Râmeț monastery, there are also monasteries at Magina and Cicau. Historical Colleges The Bethlen Gabor College, with 1011 students today and a rich history, is Aiud's most important educational institution. The college, named after Gabriel Bethlen, Prince of Transylvania (Principality of Transylvania (1570–1711)) (1613–1629), was founded in 1622 in Alba-Iulia, the capital city of Alba County, and it was then moved to Aiud. Later on, it was also moved to Cluj-Napoca for a short time. Today, the institution is located in a 19th-century historical building, and it is also home to an important library. Natural Attractions As well as rich culture, Aiud is also littered with wonderful scenic tourist attractions in terms of the environment (natural environment). There are also many activities available throughout the year, especially in fishing and hunting. This provides a strong base for ecotourism in the area, as there are beautiful forests, hills and mountains and fresh air. Accessibility and Transport Aiud is easily accessible from all parts of Romania due to its position in the centre of the country and its road network. The city is located on the national road running from Bucharest to Oradea and then crossing the Hungarian border to Budapest. Therefore, most public coach services running between Budapest and Bucharest via Oradea stop at Aiud. Railways Aiud is an important railway hub and is served frequently by CFR (Caile Ferate Române) national trains. It is located on the main line from Oradea to Bucharest via Cluj-Napoca. Consequently, there are 46 trains passing daily through Aiud (with very frequent connections to main cities), to and from the following main cities: * Cluj-Napoca - 18 trains daily * Alba Iulia - 10 trains daily * Braşov, Sighişoara and Ploieşti - 5 trains daily * Bucharest, Deva (Deva, Romania), Târgu Mureş and Timişoara - 4 trains daily * Sibiu - 3 trains daily * Oradea, Huedin, Arad (Arad, Romania), Satu Mare, Constanţa, Mangalia, Suceava, Iaşi - 2 trains daily * Craiova and Sighetu Marmaţiei - 1 train daily ''NOTE: The number of trains daily indicates trains in both directions. For example, to Cluj-Napoca there are 18 trains daily, meaning there are 18 trains TO Cluj-Napoca and 18 trains FROM Cluj-Napoca (a total of 36 services).'' Health In Aiud municipality, there is a new hospital built in 1993. It has 318 beds and 15 sections. There are also radiology services, 24-hour emergency services and a large ambulance station, making the hospital one of the better-equipped in the region. Nearby, there is also a medical centre with 14 specialised cabinets. There is also a tuberculosis sanatory in Aiud, and it is situated in the southeast of the city. This hospital was built in 1914 and currently has 220 beds. References Wikipedia:Aiud Commons:Aiud


Bled

luck. Human traces from prehistory have been found on the island. Before the church was built, there was a temple consecrated to Živa (Živa (goddess)), the Slavic goddess of love and fertility. One can get to the island on a traditional flat-bottomed wooden boat ( ). The island on Lake Bled has 99 steps. A local tradition at weddings is for the husband to carry his new bride up these steps, during which the bride must remain silent. Gallery Bled

phone tollfree fax hours 8AM-dusk price €3 content The present baroque church dates from 1698. Well preserved frescoes depict scenes from the life of Virgin Mary. Ring the wishing bell, which was installed in the original Gothic church in 1534. The Provost's house and the smaller building behind the church were used as guesthouses. According to local tradition, a husband who can carry his newly married bride the 99 steps up from the dock into the church will be ensured a happy


Imwas

be that mentioned by Sozomen in the 5th century, Theophanes (Theophanes of Byzantium) in the 6th, and by Willibald in the 8th. Robinson, 1856, p. 146. The ruins of the "ancient church" are described by Robinson as lying just south of the built-up area of the village at that time. Charles Simon Clermont-Ganneau also visited Imwas in the late 19th century and describes a local tradition centered around a bathhouse dating


Najran

ethno-religious group. The Arabic term '' '' has at least two meanings. It means both the wooden frame on which a door opens and also 'thirsty'. Local tradition also has it that the land derived its name from the first man to settle in the area, Najran ibn Zaydan ibn Saba ibn Yahjub ibn Yarub ibn Qahtan. Najran was the Yemeni centre of cloth making and originally, the ''kiswah'' or the cloth of the Ka'aba was made there (the clothing of the Kaba first started


Lajjun

and the Mahajina. Around 80% of its inhabitants fled to Umm al-Fahm, where they currently live as Arab citizens of Israel and internally displaced Palestinians. Humphries, Isabelle. Highlighting 1948 dispossession in Israeli courts. Institute for Middle East Understanding, but originally published by Al-Majdal Quarterly. 2007-11-29. Culture Local tradition centered around Ayn al-Hajja, the spring


Vladimir Oblast

River . Mstyora miniatures appeared in the settlement of Mstyora (Mstyora (urban locality)) (in modern Vladimir Oblast) in the early 20th century on the basis of a local tradition of icon-painting. In 1923, Mstyora painters formed an artel called Ancient Russian Folk Painting (Древнерусская народная живопись), renamed Proletarian Art (Пролетарское искусство) in 1931. This artel was turned into a factory in 1960. The Mstyora painting technology was borrowed from the Palekh


Strumica

Life Vanga was born in Strumica, then in the Ottoman Empire, later consecutively in Kingdom of Bulgaria, Kingdom of Yugoslavia, again in Bulgaria, SFR Yugoslavia and today in the Republic of Macedonia. During the second Bulgarian annexation of the region (1941–1944) she moved to Petrich, (then and now in Bulgaria). She was a premature baby (preterm birth) who suffered from health complications. In accordance with local tradition, the baby was not given a name


Uglich

prev_name1_date prev_name1_ref postal_codes postal_codes_ref dialing_codes 48532 dialing_codes_ref website http: www.uglich.ru website_ref commonscat Uglich date May 2010 '''Uglich''' ( Wikipedia:Uglich commons:Углич


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017