: www.complexedompark.com Complexe Dompark ) & Simmons Bedding Company (4710 St-Ambroise, now Complexe Canal Lachine) into prestigious loft buildings. Complexe Dompark recently celebrated its 100th anniversary and now houses more than 90 multimedia, fashion, publishing, and service industry-based companies in custom designed lofts. The area around the Atwater Market has become one of Montreal's most desirable residential areas for condo owners. Much of this is thanks to the continued effort to clean up the Canal. Geography The district includes the Borough of Verdun (Verdun, Quebec), along with the neighbourhoods of Saint-Henri, Little Burgundy, and Pointe-Saint-Charles and the eastern part of Côte-Saint-Paul, in the Southwest borough. It was named for Jeanne Le Ber, a religious recluse and craftswoman who lived in Pointe-Saint-Charles in the 18th century. The Irish would go on to settle permanently in the close-knit working-class neighbourhoods of Pointe-Saint-Charles, Griffintown and Goose Village, Montreal. With the help of Quebec's Catholic Church, they would establish their own churches, schools, and hospitals. St. Patrick's Basilica (St. Patrick's Basilica, Montreal) was founded in 1847 and served Montreal's English-speaking Catholics (English-speaking Quebecer) for over a century. Loyola College (Loyola College (Montreal)) was founded by the Jesuits to serve Montreal's mostly Irish English-speaking Catholic community in 1896. Saint Mary's Hospital was founded in the 1920s and continues to serve Montreal's present-day English-speaking population (English-speaking Quebecer). The St. Patrick's Day Parade in Montreal is one of the oldest in North America, dating back to 1824. It annually attracts crowds of over 600,000 people. Location and description The borough of Verdun is located in the southeastern part of the Island of Montreal and also includes Nuns' Island (île des Sœurs). The part on the Island of Montreal is bounded to the southwest by LaSalle (LaSalle, Quebec), to the northwest by the borough of Le Sud-Ouest (Ville-Émard and Côte-Saint-Paul) and the Canal de l'Aqueduc), to the northeast by the Pointe-Saint-Charles (Le Sud-Ouest) and the Décarie Autoroute (Aut. 15) (Quebec Autoroute 15), and to the southeast by the St. Lawrence River. left 150px thumb Father Patrick Dowd, pastor of Saint Patrick's Church, Montreal (Image:Patrick Dowd.jpg) The Irish would go on to settle permanently in the close-knit working-class neighbourhoods of Pointe-Saint-Charles and Griffintown. The Irish would fight fiercely to preserve a distinct identity from both Quebec Protestants and French Canadian Catholic populations With the help of Quebec's Irish Catholic Church led by priests such as Father Patrick Dowd, they would establish their own churches, schools, and hospitals. St. Patrick's Basilica, Montreal St. Patrick's Basilica was founded in 1847 and served Montreal's English-speaking Catholics (English-speaking Quebecer) for over a century. Loyola College (Montreal) was founded by the Jesuits to serve Montreal's mostly Irish English-speaking Catholic community in 1896. Saint Mary's Hospital was founded in the 1920s and continues to serve Montreal's present-day English-speaking population (English-speaking Quebecer). One can identify Griffintown as the portion of the ward of St. Ann located north of the Lachine Canal; the part south of the canal is now part of Pointe-Saint-Charles. This part of the ward was delimited by Notre-Dame Street to the North, McGill Street (McGill Street (Montreal)) to the east, and a short segment of the city limit between Notre-Dame Street and the canal west of the St. Gabriel Locks to the west. Pinsoneault, Adolphe Rodrigue. ''Atlas of the island and city of Montreal and Ile Bizard : a compilation of the most recent cadastral plans from the book of reference.'' Atlas Publishing Co. Ltd: 1907. Pp. 22. Available online from Bibliothèque et Archives nationales du Québec. Accessed July 5, 2011. It was the earliest and largest faubourg annexed to Old Montreal before the introduction of the tram car in the 1840s. Today, this area is part of the borough (Montreal borough) of Le Sud-Ouest. It spans theoretically from the neighbourhood of Point St. Charles (Pointe-Saint-Charles) to the Old Port (Old Port of Montreal), and north to Notre-Dame Street. Currently, it holds the stables (the Griffintown Horse Palace, at the corner of Ottawa and Eleanor) for the horses that provide tours in carriages (calèche) around the Old Port. Many technological companies built office space in the area, and École de Technologie Supérieure (ÉTS) built its residence there. Very few residents still live in the area, and very little of the original architecture remains, however. Because of its location, some residential projects are taking shape, including Lowney Lofts, a multi-phase condominium project revitalizing a chocolate factory and the surrounding block. Interchange with standard gauge railroads became a problem during the 1860s. Grand Trunk equipped approximately one thousand freight cars with experimental "sliding-wheels" in 1863 at company shops in Sarnia, Ontario, and Pointe-Saint-Charles in Montreal. Gauge could be adjusted by removing and inserting axle pins on special tapered-gauge track segments at interchange points. Safety problems were reported despite high maintenance costs. All lines west of Montreal were converted to standard gauge on October 3 and 4, 1873. Grand Trunk purchased 200 standard gauge locomotives (including 62 from Portland Company) and converted 135 old locomotives. Ten-thousand standard gauge bogies were purchased for conversion of freight cars. The railway from Portland to Montreal was standard-gauged in September, 1874. '''Charlevoix''' is a station (metro station) on the Green Line (Line 1 Green (Montreal Metro)) of the Montreal Metro rapid transit system (Rapid transit) operated by the Société de transport de Montréal (STM). It is located in the district of Pointe-Saint-Charles in the borough of Le Sud-Ouest in Montreal, Quebec, Canada Charlevoix Station .The station opened on September 3, 1978, as part of the extension of the Green Line westward to Angrignon (Angrignon (Montreal Metro)). In the 1950s, J.W. McConnell provided the money to build a boys and girls club in Montreal's predominantly French speaking (French language) East End and in the English speaking (English language) suburb of Pointe-Saint-Charles, one of the poorest sections of the city of Montreal. McConnell's benevolent works extended to individuals such as Maureen Forrester who recounted in her biography how he had learned of the difficulty she was experiencing, holding down a job while trying to develop her singing career. He contacted her and offered to cover her expenses for three years so she could train professionally — on the condition she never reveal his name. A patron of the Montreal Symphony Orchestra, in the early 1960s when the Orchestra was preparing to move to new facilities at Place des Arts, McConnell purchased a 1727 Stradivarius violin for concertmaster and violinist Calvin Sieb. Playing career Born in Saint-Vallier (Saint-Vallier, Quebec), Quebec, south-east of Quebec City, Marshall moved to Montreal and played high school hockey for Pointe-Saint-Charles, starting in 1894. In 1898, he made the jump to senior level play when he moved out west and started play with the Winnipeg Victorias. He played with the Victorias until 1901, winning the Stanley Cup in a challenge (1901 CAHL season#Stanley Cup Challenges) with Montreal Shamrocks. Though she always devoted the majority of her efforts to helping the more needy members of society, she also established a boarding school at Ville-Marie so that higher class-girls did not need to venture all the way to Quebec for their education. She went on to establish a school devoted to needle-work and other practical occupations for women in Pointe-Saint-Charles. Other smaller schools were also established and run by other members of the Congregation in places such as Lachine (Lachine, Quebec), Pointe-aux-Trembles (Pointe-aux-Trembles, Quebec), Batiscan (Batiscan, Quebec) and Champlain (Champlain, Quebec). In 1678, Marguerite also expanded into Native societies, setting up a small school in the Iroquois village of "la Montagne" (Montreal). "Marguerite Bourgeoys", Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online. In 1996, the Connecticut Department of Transportation purchased six GP40-2 freight locomotives from CSX Transportation to replace its existing fleet of leased locomotives for use in Shore Line East service, and sent them out for rebuilding and conversion to passenger locomotives. The rebuilt locomotives were given the GP40-2H designation, and were completed by AMF Technotransport in Pointe-Saint-Charles, an area of Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Canada Variable gauge axles were used for a while on the Grand Trunk Railway in the 1860s in Canada (Rail gauge#Canada) to connect http: www.railways.incanada.net Articles Article2003_1.html
. During the Cultural Revolution, Jilin was expanded again to include a part of Inner Mongolia, giving it a border with the independent state of Mongolia, though this was later reversed. In recent times Jilin has, together with the rest of heavy industry-based Northeast China, been facing economic difficulties with privatization. This has prompted the central government to undertake a campaign called “Revitalize the Northeast”. Major cities in this province include
'''Middlesbrough Borough Council''' is the local authority of Middlesbrough. It is a unitary authority and borough (borough status in the United Kingdom) in North Yorkshire, England. It is based on the town of Middlesbrough, which is sometimes considered to spread outside the borough boundaries into the neighbouring borough of Redcar and Cleveland; the borough extends southwards to a semi-rural area. Whilst part of North Yorkshire for ceremonial purposes (ceremonial counties of England) it is in the region (Regions of England) of North East England. It had a resident population in 2001 of 134,855. A 2006 mid-year estimate suggests the Borough to have a population of 138,400. Selected age groups for local authorities in United Kingdom: mid-2006 population estimates The borough council is one of the districts bidding to achieve city status in 2012, to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee. Middlesbrough has thrown its hat into the ring - the Guardian History The district was formed on 1 April 1974, under the Local Government Act 1972, from part of the former County Borough of Teesside, along with the parish of Nunthorpe from the Stokesley Rural District. It was a district, and the county town of the new county of Cleveland (Cleveland, England) from 1 April 1974, until 1996, when Cleveland was abolished under the Banham Review, and Middlesbrough became a unitary authority. The borough borders Stockton-on-Tees (Stockton-on-Tees (borough)) to the west, Redcar and Cleveland to the east and the Hambleton district of North Yorkshire to the south. '''Nunthorpe''' is a small outer suburb of the town of Middlesbrough, England. Nunthorpe is served by Nunthorpe (Nunthorpe railway station) and Gypsy Lane railway stations, both of which are on the Esk Valley Line from Middlesbrough to Whitby. The railway line here forms the boundary between the boroughs of Middlesbrough (Middlesbrough (borough)) and Redcar and Cleveland, both of which are unitary authorities and are associated with the county of North Yorkshire for ceremonial purposes (ceremonial county). Nunthorpe civil parish is west of the railway line, in Middlesbrough, whilst the area east of the railway line forms part of the Ormesby ward of Redcar and Cleveland.
. Chioggia was destroyed by the King Pippin of Italy in the 9th century, but rebuilt around a new industry based on salt pan (Salt evaporation pond)s. In the Middle Ages, Chioggia proper was known as ''Clugia major'', whereas ''Clugia minor'' was a sand bar about 600 m further into the Adriatic. A free commune and an episcopal see from 1110, it had later an important role in the so-called War of Chioggia between Genoa and Venice, being conquered by Genoa in 1378
Abu Bakar Bashir (w:Abu Bakar Bashir), the alleged spiritual leader of the Jemaah Islamiyah (w:Jemaah Islamiyah) militant islamic (w:Militant Islamic) organisation gave an address on return to his school in Surakarta (w:Surakarta) in Central Java (w:Central Java) where he urged Australian (w:Australia) Prime Minister (w:Prime Minister of Australia) John Howard (w:John Howard) to convert to Islam (w:Islam). The president is to oversee a state funeral after Suharto's body is taken to his family mausoleum in Surakarta (w:Surakarta), Central Java (w:Central Java) by a fleet of seven Air Force (w:Air Force) planes. The president is to oversee a state funeral after Suharto's body is taken to his family mausoleum in Surakarta (w:Surakarta), Central Java (w:Central Java) by a fleet of seven Air Force (w:Air Force) planes.
, international airport of Tanzania (the first is Julius Nyerere International Airport). It serves the Kilimanjaro area including the cities of Arusha and Moshi near Mount Kilimanjaro, and the international tourism industry based on Mount Kilimanjaro, Arusha National Park, Ngorongoro Crater, and Serengeti National Park. The airport styles itself as "the gateway to Africa's wildlife heritage". Wilson Kinyonga and George Kinyonga began as musicians
and Cartagena (Cartagena, Spain), and Almotacin, the poet emir. Both Jairan and Almotacin were fearless warriors, but also sophisticated patrons of the arts. A silk industry, based upon plantings of mulberry trees in the hot, dry landscape of the province, supported Almería in the 11th century and made its strategic harbour an even more valuable asset. thumb right 220px The statue of San Cristóbal. (File:San Cristóbal detrás Almería noche.JPG) Contested by the emirs of Granada
whitetip shark or sharks in three separate incidents off Sharm-el-Sheikh. One victim lost a leg, and another an arm. The Egyptian authorities subsequently claimed that the shark responsible for the attacks had been captured alive, but the identification was disputed by the diving industry based on eyewitness and photographic evidence. BBC News: Shark attacks three tourists in Sharm el-Sheikh, Egypt http