Places Known For

important architectural


Ozumba

;encmuc" This area is popular with local tourists despite the lack of facilities. Another natural area is the Parque La Herradura, which is a forested area in the foothills of the Popocatepetl volcano. The most important architectural attraction here is the former Dominican (Dominican Order) monastery which dates from the 16th


Durango, Durango

of distinction above all other buildings of its kind. '''Catedral Basílica Menor''' thumb left Catedral Basílica de Durango, Durango's Cathedral (File:Catedral durango day.jpg) Widely known as "Catedral Basílica de Durango", it is situated in the heart of the city of Durango and is considered the most important architectural representation of the state, and one of the most beautiful buildings in northern Mexico. The original construction began under the leadership of Bishop Garcia Legazpi in the 1695, and designed by architect Mateo Nuñez. The main façade is baroque-style, and includes Corinthian (Corinthian order) columns and niches built to protect the image of St. Peter and St. Paul. The choir stage, built in the early 18th century is gilded and made of carved mahogany with polychrome styling. The cathedral boasts the second most beautiful richly carved choir stage in the country; second only to that preserved in the Metropolitan Cathedral (Mexico City Metropolitan Cathedral) in Mexico City. The altar formed by a Neoclassical (Neoclassical architecture) style cypress, guards the image of the Purisima Concepcion; a polychrome and gilded carving of the 18th century. On the altar there are paintings by duranguense artists Miguel Cabrera and Juan Correa. Culture and Contemporary Life Entertainment and performing arts The city of Durango attracts close to one million visitors each summer for its annual month-long '''Feria Nacional De Durango''' (Durango's National Festival) which has taken place since 1929. It is the most important festival in the history of the state and the city itself, in which Durango celebrates the anniversary of the founding of the city which occurred on July 8, 1563. Durango also offers various cultural venues to host events such as conferences, concerts, theatrical performances, among many others. Such venues include, '''Teatro Ricardo Castro''' (Ricardo Castro Theatre) and '''Auditorio Mercedes Mendoza''' (Mercedes Mendoza Auditorium). Museums thumb left Regional Museum of Durango (File:Museo Regional de Durango.jpg) The city of Durango hosts a variety of museums including '''Museo Regional de Durango''' (Regional Museum of Durango), '''Museo Arqueológico de Durango Ganot-Peschard''' (Ganot-Peschard Museum of Archaeology), '''Museo de Arte Moderno Guillermo Ceniceros''' (Guillermo Ceniceros Art Museum), '''Museo de Arte Contemporáneo Angel Zárraga''' (Angel Zagarra Museum of Contemporary Art), '''Museo Temático de Cine "Museo del Cine"''' (Thematic Film Museum),'''Museo de la Revolución en Durango''' (Museum of the Revolution in Durango), '''Mueseo de Arte Sacro''' (Museum of Sacred Art) and a museum designed especially for children: '''El Bebeleche-Museo Interactivo de Durango''' (Bebeleche-Interactive Museum Durango). El Parque Guadiana El Parque Guadiana (Guadiana Park), is considered an urban forest that provides environmental (ecosystem services) services to the city such as the carbon cycle, temperature control, and psychological benefits to those whom visit the park. Parque Guadiana is also the habitat for many fauna species, especially the avifauna species that are found within the park. El Parque Guadiana also offers kid-friendly infrastructure where children can play, a specialized trail for runners and walkers, fountains, an Olympic pool, and a town hall that was inaugurated in 1960. It also has a small train that goes around the Lago de los Patos "lake of the ducks", and until recently, a recreational bicycle path, ( it currently is being remodeled) in a wooded area that serves as a source of cool air to cyclists. Media Parallel to this highway, in some sections, runs Federal Highway 40D (Mexican Federal Highway 40D), which is a 4-lane restricted access toll road. Hairston played 14 seasons in the majors, mostly with the Chicago White Sox and part of one season with the Pittsburgh Pirates. He also played three years (from 1978 to 1980) with Durango (Durango, Durango) of the Mexican League. While playing in Mexico, Hairston won a batting title and twice represented Mexican League teams at the Caribbean Series. He met his wife, Esperanza, in Hermosillo, Mexico and the couple held a wedding ceremony at Hector Espino Stadium (Estadio De Beisbol Héctor Espino). http: mlb.mlb.com wbc 2009 news article.jsp?ymd 20090303&content_id 3913122&vkey wbc&team &lang 1


Khotyn

in 1001, is located on the right (southwestern) bank of the Dniester River, and is part of the historical region Bessarabia. Important architectural landmarks within the city include the Khotyn Fortress, constructed in the 13-15th centuries (new fortress started in 1325, major improvements


Ávila, Spain

Jose o de las Madres 03.jpg thumb 200px Convento de San José The Convent of Saint Joseph is the first monastery of Discalced Carmelite (Discalced Carmelites) nuns founded by Saint Teresa of Jesus (Teresa of Ávila). The convent was built in the year of 1562, although the most important architectural element, the church, was built in 1607. The Church was designed by the architect Francisco de Mora (1553-1610). It is a national monument since 1968. Iglesia de San Pedro * Start date: about 1100. * The church of Saint Peter is located outside the town walls in the Plaza de Mercado Grande at the door of the Alcazar. Presents analogous with that of San Vicente. * Latin cross floor and three naves of five sections. Apsidal chapels: mayor chapel, chapel of the south apse and chapel of the north apse. Ermita de San Segundo thumb 200px Torreón de los Guzmanes. (File:Avila Torreon de los Gusmanes.jpg) 200px thumb upright Santuario de Nuestra Señora de Sonsoles. (File:Ermitadesonsoles.jpg) Beautiful hermitage located to the west of Ávila, outside the town walls, on the right bank of the Adaja river. Highlights the sculpted capitals in which the sculptor is the footprint of the apse of San Andrés. Alabaster statue made by Juan de Juni. Popular belief has it that, on introducing a handkerchief into the tomb and asking for three wishes, the saint will grant one. His pilgrimage is celebrated on 2 May, Segundo (Saint Segundo) being the patron saint of Ávila. Palacio de Don Diego del Águila This 16th-century palace is located inside the walls and attached to it as junt walk through the door of San Vicente, defended the access of Muslim troops.


Vologda Oblast

to the east, Kostroma Oblast to the southeast, and Yaroslavl Oblast to the south. Regions Cities * Vologda — the capital has its own kremlin, an important monastery, and lots of other sights to see * Belozersk — a small, pretty, medieval town near both the Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery and the Ferapontov Convent * Cherepovets — the largest city in the region has a long history, several important architectural monuments, and is a major center of the Russian steel industry * Ferapontovo — a village between Vologda and Kirillov, home to a monastery with XV century wall paintings included into UNESCO World Heritage list. * Kirillov — a small town around the Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery * Veliky Ustyug — a large medieval town with stunning cathedrals * Vytegra — a small town in the west of the region with a real diesel submarine fully converted into museum. * Tot'ma — a small town on Suhona river with many museums in a picturesque place Other destinations * Darwin Nature Reserve * Russian North National Park ''(Russky Sever)'' Understand thumb 350px Spaso-Kamenny Monastery (File:Spaso-Kamenny Monastery 2013.jpg) Vologda Oblast is spread out, but offers some pretty magnificent sights for the visitor. Sights you won't want to miss include the capital city of Vologda, the Kirillo-Belozersky Monastery, Russian North National Park, and of course, the Ferapontov Convent. Get in The daily overnight train from Moscow takes 8 hours to get to Vologda and an additional 3 hours to get to Cherepovets. The overnight train from Saint Petersburg to Vologda leaves Ladozhsky Train Station at around 20:00 and arrives 12.5 hours later, around 08:30. Get around See Itineraries Do Eat Vologda's butter is reportedly Russia's best. Drink Stay safe Go next Trains head north from Vologda to Arkhangelsk and southeast to Kostroma. wikipedia:Vologda Oblast commons:category:Vologda Oblast


Grodno

The oldest extant structure in Hrodna is the Kalozha Church of Sts. Boris and Gleb (Boris and Gleb) (Belarusian: ''Каложская царква''). It is the only surviving monument of ancient Black Ruthenian architecture, distinguished from other Orthodox churches by prolific use of polychrome faceted stones of blue, green or red tint which could be arranged to form crosses or other figures on the wall


Zhengzhou


Toruń

, with a richly-decorated stucco façade and wooden spiral stairs *Toruń has the largest number of preserved Gothic houses in Poland, many with Gothic wall paintings or wood-beam ceilings from the 16th to the 18th centuries left thumb 200px House Under the Star (File:Toruń (DerHexer) 2010-07-17 048.jpg) Toruń, unlike many other historic cities in Poland, escaped substantial destruction in World War II. Particularly left intact was the Old Town, all of whose important architectural monuments are originals, not reconstructions. Major renovation projects have been undertaken in recent years to improve the condition and external presentation of the Old Town. Besides the renovation of various buildings, projects such as the reconstruction of the pavement of the streets and squares (reversing them to their historical appearance), and the introduction of new plants, trees and objects of 'small architecture', are underway. Numerous buildings and other constructions, including the city walls along the boulevard, are illuminated at night, creating an impressive effect - probably unique among Polish cities with respect to the size of Toruń's Old Town and the scale of the illumination project itself. thumb 1000px Panorama Torunia (Panorama of Torun) centre (File:Panorama Torunia (Panorama of Torun).jpg) WikiPedia:Toruń Dmoz:Regional Europe Poland Voivodships Kuyavia and Pomerania Torun Commons:Toruń


Abu Dhabi

Mosque thumb Front and entrance of the Sheikh Zayed Mosque (File:Front of Sheikh Zayed Mosque.jpg) One of the most important architectural landmarks is the Sheikh Zayed Mosque. This is arguably one of the most important architectural treasures of contemporary UAE society—and one of the most opulent in the world. It was initiated by the late president of the United Arab Emirates, HH Sheikh Zayed bin Sultan Al Nahyan, fondly thought of as the father of the UAE. SZGMC www.szgmc.ae Its design and construction reportedly 'unites the world', using artisans and materials from many countries including Italy, Germany, Morocco, India, Turkey, Iran, China, the United Kingdom, New Zealand, Greece and of course the United Arab Emirates. More than 3,000 workers and 38 renowned contracting companies took part in the construction of the mosque. Natural materials were chosen for much of its design and construction due to their long-lasting qualities, including marble, stone, gold, semi-precious stones, crystals and ceramics. Construction began on 5 November 1996. The maximum capacity is approximately 41,000 people and the overall structure is 22,412 square metres, the internal prayer halls were initially opened in December 2007. As one of the most visited buildings in the UAE, the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque Center was established to manage the day-to-day operations, as a place of worship and Friday gathering and as a centre of learning and discovery through its education and visitor programs. Sheik Zayed Grand Mosque Center Parks and gardens Abu Dhabi has more than 2,000 well-maintained parks and gardens


West Palm Beach, Florida

, and communication. Potrč has documented her most important architectural case studies on her website: http: www.potrc.org project1.htm For example, soon after the ''Dry Toilet'' project, she created ''Hybrid House: Caracas, West Bank, West Palm Beach'' at the Palm Beach Institute of Contemporary Art in Lake Worth, Fla., in 2003 (the following year, the installation traveled to the List Visual Arts Center of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, Mass.). The installation


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017