is located on the west bank of the river. Although the former village is surrounded by modern suburban development, it seeks to keep a "small town" charm by retaining a variety of historical buildings and streetscapes. As part of this attempt to maintain a separate identity from the larger city, the names of several main Mississauga roads, as they pass through Streetsville, revert to what they were called when Streetsville was an independent village. These include Mississauga Road
that has its place in history with its closely connected village-type node. It is home to many historical buildings due to its 19th-century atmosphere. Streetsville is known as a Community Node, and therefore provides various resources applicable to a Community Node. The city of Mississauga focuses on Streetsville's urban structure to grow in existing and proposed services and the community infrastructure. As a Community Node, there are many things in Streetsville that are used on a day-to-day basis. This includes: local shops, restaurants, community facilities, entertainment, schools, parks, and an impressive housing stock that meets the requirements of new residents. The '''Streetsville Derbys''' were a Canadian (Canada) Junior "A" ice hockey team from Streetsville (Streetsville, Ontario), Ontario, Canada. They were a part of the Ontario Junior Hockey League in 2011 when they merged into the Cobourg Cougars.
features artists such as Harvey Dunn, James Earle Fraser (James Earle Fraser (sculptor)), Charles Hargens and Oscar Howe. In the village area behind the main building are four authentic historical buildings, including an 1885 one-room school house and the fully furnished 1886 Victorian-Italianate home of the co-founder of the Corn Palace, Louis Beckwith. Two new features of the museum are Discovery Land, a hands-on activity area for children ages five to ten, and the Heritage Gardens Project, which brings indigenous plants to the gardens surrounding the museum and historical buildings. The Mitchell Prehistoric Indian Village, an archaeological site (Mitchell Site) where scientists are excavating a Native American village, is another attraction in the city. The site, near Lake Mitchell, is believed to have been occupied by ancestors of the present-day Mandan, who now reside in North Dakota. The excavation is unique in that it is enclosed by an Archeodome, a climate-controlled building built over the site, which allows scientists to continue their excavation work year-round. The Mitchell area also boasts several state champion trees: Black Cherry (Prunus serotina), Black Locust, Siberian Elm, and Tulip Tree. South Dakota Register of Big Trees Sports The South Dakota Gold was a professional basketball club that competed in the International Basketball Association in the 2000-01 season. Media AM Radio class "wikitable" !align "center" colspan "6" '''AM radio stations''' - !Frequency!!Call sign!!Name!!Format!!Owner!!City - 1490 AM KORN (KORN (AM)) Dakota Country News Talk Riverfront Broadcasting LLC Mitchell FM Radio class "wikitable" !align "center" colspan "7" '''FM radio stations''' - !Frequency!!Call sign!!Name!!Format!!Owner!!Target city market (media market)!!City of license - 90.9 FM K215AI (South Dakota Public Broadcasting) South Dakota Public Broadcasting NPR (National Public Radio) SD Board of Directors for Educational Telecommunications Mitchell Mitchell - 91.9 FM K220HB (K-Love) K-Love Contemporary Christian (Contemporary Christian music) Educational Media Foundation Mitchell Mitchell - 93.3 FM KJRV Big Jim 93.3 Classic Rock (Classic rock) Dakota Communications Huron Mitchell Wessington Springs - 98.3 FM KUQL Kool 98.3 Oldies Saga Communications of South Dakota, LLC Mitchell Wessington Springs - 105.9 FM KMIT (KMIT (FM)) Hot Country 105.9 Country Saga Communications of South Dakota, LLC Mitchell Mitchell - 107.3 FM KQRN KQRN Adult hits Riverfront Broadcasting LLC Mitchell Mitchell Notable natives thumb The clock at Rotary Park, across the street from the Corn Palace (File:Clock at Rotary Park.jpg) , whether born, raised, or residing. · The fact of their association should have a reliable source cited. · Alphabetical by last name please · All others will be removed without further explanation -- * Ordell Braase, former NFL player and broadcaster * Israel Greene, adjutant of the Confederate Marine Corps * John Bailey Jones, retired United States federal judge * Michael (Mike) Lloyd Miller (Mike Miller (basketball player)) was born and raised in Mitchell and is an American professional basketball player, was 2000-01 NBA Rookie of the Year, 2005–06 NBA Sixth Man of the Year Award winner, a two-time NBA champion with the Miami Heat, and is currently a member of the NBA (National Basketball Association)'s Cleveland Cavaliers. * George McGovern, former Representative (United States House of Representatives) and Senator (United States Senate) from South Dakota and 1972 (U.S. presidential election, 1972) Democratic (Democratic Party (United States)) nominee for President (President of the United States), grew up in Mitchell, and lived there until his death in 2012. * Adam Morrison, current basketball player for the Charlotte Bobcats, briefly lived in Mitchell as a young child while his father was coaching at Dakota Wesleyan. * Gary Owens, voice actor and Disc Jockey * Howard Rushmore, journalist and investigative reporter * Johnny Schulz 5 time World Amateur Ringside Masters Boxing Champion,2013 National Platinum Gloves Champion (Masters), 2013 NYABC New York Amateur Boxing Championships Champion, Schulz grew up in Mitchell, now living in South Florida. http: thaboxingvoice.com results-for-ring-kings-nyabc-amateur-championship-card 20626 References
search.php?kind 1&vsearch 1&name &floor &floormax &location &borough 11&year &yearmax &subType 0&architect &sub Rechercher&TYPE &interval 10&resume 2&sortBy YEAR&sortType DESC Historical buildings and skyscrapers in Sud-Ouest borough
the Apostle , which, some claim, is built on the site of the Apostle's tomb, is also inside the town. The old quarter of Selçuk retains much traditional Turkish culture. Ayasoluk Hill dominates the surrounding area, with several historical buildings on its slopes, including the İsa Bey Mosque built by the Aydinids in 1375, and the Grand Fortress. thumb Selçuk town and Isa Bey mosque from the castle in 1970 (File:Selçuk village and Isa Bey mosque from the castle in 1970.jpg) Ephesus Beach
; and today remains the home of the Great Greenland sealskin tannery. Until December 31, 2008, the town was the administrative center of Qaqortoq municipality. On January 1, 2009, Qaqortoq became the biggest town and the administrative center of Kujalleq municipality, when the municipalities of Qaqortoq, Narsaq, and Nanortalik ceased to exist as administrative entities. Landmarks Historical buildings The building that now houses the Qaqortoq Museum Qaqortoq museum
Historical buildings in and around the town include the pentagonal Pillau Citadel, founded by the Swedes in 1626, completed by the Prussians in 1670, renovated in 1870, and currently holding a naval museum; the ruins of the 13th-century Lochstadt Castle; a maze of 19th-century naval fortifications; the Naval Cathedral of St. George (1866); the . In late October 1917, the IV Scouting Group steamed to Pillau (Baltiysk), arriving on the 30th. They were tasked with replacing the heavy units of the fleet that had just completed Operation Albion, the conquest of the islands in the Gulf of Riga, along with the battleships of the I Battle Squadron. The risk of mines that had come loose in a recent storm, however, prompted the naval command to cancel the mission, and ''Pillau'' and the rest of the IV Scouting Group was ordered to return to the North Sea on 31 October. Staff, pp. 146–147 Dygolo said that the dockyard, in the closed military town of Baltiysk (w:Baltiysk), near Kaliningrad, had been leased to the ''Yenisey'''s St Petersburg (w:St Petersburg) owner, a private company, who were conducting the work themselves. He said an investigation has been launched by the navy led by top admiral Vladimir Vysotsky (w:Vladimir Vysotsky (Admiral)).
'''Ponta Grossa, Paraná, Brazil''' is a municipality (Municipalities of Brazil) in the state of Paraná (Paraná (state)), Brazil. With a population of over 330,000 inhabitants, it is the 4th most populous city of Paraná. It is the second industrial pole of the State, exceeded only by Curitiba—the State's capital and largest city. Ponta Grossa, also known as the ''Princesa dos Campos'' — Princess of the Fields — is the home of the Ponta Grossa State University (UEPG). Ponta Grossa is also home town of the "Parque Estadual da Vila Velha" (State Park of Old Town), a park made up of rocky formations formed over millions of years. Each rock formation has its own name, depending on which object animal they look like. Another attraction of the city is the Münchenfest – A National Stout Festival with national and international concerts that lasts a whole week and occurs at late November and the beginning of December. History Ponta Grossa was founded in 1822, being created in 1823 the "Star Town", its first denomination. On April 1855, the town became a city, being separated from Castro (Castro, Paraná) and named Ponta Grossa. The city in its beginning, in the seventeenth century, was oriented by the geographic location and being a route and stop for the sleeping of "troops", transport of resources and trade between the cities of Viamão (on southern Brazil) and Sorocaba (on center-east). Nowadays, Ponta Grossa has the biggest road and rail complex of the south region of the country. The city already was the second biggest city in the Paraná State (by early 1900) and was the state capital for five days during Ragamuffin War (Farrapos War). Population The population is composed of many different ethnicities. In the earlier days, it was made up of explorers and distinguished families coming mainly from São Paulo. From the beginning of the twentieth century on, numerous Slavic (Russians, Poles and Ukrainians) and German (Germans) families settled in the city, along with Dutch (Dutch people), Italian (Italians), Lebanese (Lebanese people) and Japanese immigrants. Germans and Slavs are the most numerous ones. Geography thumb left "Vila Velha" State Park (File:VilaVelhaParanaTaca3.JPG) The area is served by many rivers. Among the most important are: Tibagi, Verde, Pitangui, "Chapada" Creek, as well as the basin of Botuquara, "Rio da Morte", "Terra Vermelha Creek" and "Quebra Perna River". Climate The climate is subtropical with mild or warm summers with an average of 21.4 °C (70 °F). The winters can be bitterly cold with an average of 13 °C (55 °F). Temperature drops below freezing point at least once a year. Year-round average temperature stands at 17 °C (62 °F). All-time extremes were 36 °C and -5 °C. Limits To north are the towns of Castro (Castro, Paraná) and Carambeí, to south the towns of Palmeira (Palmeira, Paraná) and Teixeira Soares, to east the city of Campo Largo (Campo Largo, Paraná), and Tibagi and Ipiranga (Ipiranga, Paraná) to west. Tourism Visitors have many tourist attractions, many of them not accessible by public transport. Attractions * Old Town State Park (In Portuguese: Parque Estadual de Vila Velha) * Priest's Hole (pt: Buraco do Padre) and Mariquinha Fall (pt:Cachoeira da Marinquinha) – both private properties. For nautical sports, the tourists and ponta-grossenses have the Alagados, 7,5 miles from the downtown. All these places are considered very pretty and calm for family tour. The access to them are by paved and unpaved roads. For one day trips, attractions from the region of Campos Gerais are also available. Most notably are Guartela Canyon, on the city of Tibagi, and the Dutch village and its historical mill in Castroland District and the Tropeiro Museum, both in Castro. The most common adventure sports on the region are climbing rappelling, on country area of Ponta Grossa – like the stone walls on Mariquinha Fall and Priest's Whole – and slalom canoeing on the Tibagi River, in the city of Castro * Historical buildings From the architectural point of view, the city has an interesting patrimony. Constructions like Vila Hilda Mansion (pt: Mansão Vila Hilda) (actual seat of Culture secretariat), the formers train station Casa da Memória Paraná, Art Station and Longing Station, the Campos Gerais Museum, the Epoch Museum, the Opera Theatre, Planalto Palace Hotel, and more, that take us to 19th century and beginning of 20th century, when the city was the third biggest in the Southern Region (Southern Region, Brazil). Some of the religious attractions are the Resurrection Monastery, Rosario Church, Santa Barbara chapel and São José Graveyard. The city also has other old buildings and houses around XV and Vicente Machado Streets. On the 1970s, the city has suffered a boom of modernization on the central area. New modern and in the forefront constructions are the Santana Cathedral and many private houses. * Business, tourism and hospitality The business tourism increased a lot between the 1990s and 2000s with the construction of new hotels, nowadays there are more than 2000 rooms available in Ponta Grossa. For events, the city has lrge areas such as the City of Ponta Grossa Events Center, Slaviero Hotel Convention Center and Palladium Shopping Mall. Other hotels, like Planalto Palace Hotel and Bristol Vila Velha, offer areas for small and medium size events. * Cultural attractions and events Theater and Musical Concerts area regularly available in places such Opera Theater and Marista Theater. There are four movies theaters in the city. There are also annual events, the main is the National Stout Festival, called Münchenfest, with German typical dances and Concerts with national and international artists. Other events are Grape Festival, Rodeo of Rodeos, Campos Gerais Farming and Cattle Raising Fair, called Efapi, and many others. Education The city has two public colleges: * Ponta Grossa State University (UEPG) (Pt: Universidade Estadual de Ponta Grossa) * Parana Federal Technological University (UTFPR) (Pt:Universidade Tecnológica Federal do Paraná) Both institutions attract undergraduate and graduate students from many regions, mostly from the south of Brazil. The city also has private colleges as Faculdades Uniao, Faculdades Santa Amelia (Secal) e Sant'Ana, Centro de Ensino Superior dos Campos Gerais (Cescage) and a campus of Centro Universitário Campos de Andrade (Uniandrade). Culture Ponta Grossa is graced with a vast cultural scene. The city has three theaters in perfect conditions of usage, totaling almost 3000 seats, movie theaters, arts gallery and places for visual arts and music expositions and events. The Ponta Grossa State University (UEPG) offers majors in Visual Arts and Music. The city also has its own orchestra, the Ponta Grossa Symphony Orchestra, and the Paulimo Martins Music School. Museum * Campos Gerais Museum * Epoch Museum * Egiptian Museum * Casa da Memória Paraná Theaters * Opera Theater * Marista Theater * Pax Theater Cinema * Multiplex Palladium *Cinema Lumière Arts Galleries Galerias de arte * Culture Center City of Ponta Grossa * pinacotheca Cidade de Ponta Grossa Public administration The government of the municipality following the determination of Brazil's Constitution: Executive, headed by the mayor and his secretariat, and the legislative branch, represented by the City Council. The executive is elected for four years with the possibility of reelection, and their municipal and local authorities. The secretaries are set by the mayor, usually accommodating party allies of the chief executive. Also belong to the municipality (or is it a majority stake in its social capital) a number of companies responsible for different aspects of public services and the economy. The Municipality of Ponta Grossa is composed of 14 aldermen (or is it 15) elected to four-year, with the possibility of consecutive reelection for another term (or forever, according to the will of the population). The aldermen are responsible for drafting and adoption of fundamental laws for the administration and the Executive, including the annual budget of the municipality (known as the Budget Guidelines Law). Several special committees, each headed by an alderman, are part of the house of laws such as the Budget, Health, Public Transport, among others. The Council is chaired by a president – which among other functions, sets the voting agenda of the house, and also has vice president and first secretary. Notable residents Luiz Dell'Aglio, Aerobatic pilot Representatives Mandates 2008–2012 Executive Mayor: Pedro Wosgrau Filho (PSDB) Vice Mayor: Roger Serman (DEM) Legislative Mayor: Sebastião Mainardes Junior (DEM) Councilors (term 2008–2012): Dr. Zeca (PSDB) – the most votes for alderman two legislatures (2004–2008) George (PMN) Dr. Pascoal (PMDB) Mauricio Silva (PSB) Professor Ana Maria (PT) Mainardes (DEM) Lacco (PRP) Crank (PSB) Valtaa (DEM) Julio
Category:Populated places in Damghan County Category:Cities in Iran Category:Cities in Semnan Province Asia * December 22 – Another deadly earthquake (856 Damghan earthquake) strikes Damghan, Iran, killing 200,000 people. "''Demijohn''" is an old word that formerly referred to any glass vessel with a large body and small neck, enclosed in wicker
between Israel and Syria where both sides were urged to make the hard choices needed to end a half-century of conflict. http: telaviv.usembassy.gov publish peace archives 2000 january me0103c.html In 2012 the town celebrated its 250th Anniversary. Currently At present, many of the town's historical buildings on German Street are home to shops and cafés. The town is also home to many local artistic and theatrical groups, many of which are affiliated
Water System , connecting the Neva with the Volga River. In particular, the New Ladoga Canal connects the Volkhov (Volkhov River) and the Neva Rivers. It replaced the Old Ladoga Canal built by Peter the Great, which thus became disused and decayed. The canals collectively are known as the Ladoga Canal. The canals originate from the Neva in Shlisselburg. Architecture The town does not retain many historical buildings, apart from a handful of 18th-century churches. Perhaps the most