of their houses in the French style of a century before, giving the new town an historic character. During the days of the Underground Railroad before the American Civil War, fugitive African-American (African American) slaves often crossed the river to escape to freedom in Canada, after slavery was abolished there. They used Fort Malden as an entry point. By 1869, the town of Amherstburg in the Township of Maiden County Essex had a population of 2,500. Fort Malden was adapted for use as a Lunatic Asylum. Its main building was later used as a Port of Entry Money Order office and Post Office savings bank. ''The Province of Ontario Gazetteer and Directory.'' H. McEvoy, Editor and Compiler, Toronto : Robertson & Cook, Publishers, 1869 Amherstburg was incorporated as a town in 1878. Education Schools in Amherstburg include: General Amherst High School, Amherstburg Public Elementary School, Anderdon Public Elementary School, St. Bernard Catholic Elementary School, Stella Maris Catholic Elementary School, Ecole St. Jean Baptiste Catholic French Elementary School, St Joseph Catholic Elementary School and Malden Central Public School. The local public high school in Amherstburg is General Amherst High School, named after Jeffrey Amherst, 1st Baron Amherst. Although General Amherst High School is located within the town, some youth residents choose to attend Sandwich Secondary School or St. Thomas of Villanova Catholic Secondary School, located near the neighborhood of River Canard. French-speaking students in Amherstburg may also attend Ecole Secondaire E.J. Lajeunesse, located in Windsor, Ontario. Tourist attractions Amherstburg is home to several tourist attractions, including Fort Malden and the North American Black Historical Museum. An Ontario Historical Plaque was erected in Amherstburg by the province to commemorate Bellevue House's role in Ontario's heritage. Bellevue House (c. 1816-19) was the home of Catherine Reynold, a landscape painter and her brother Robert Reynolds. Fort Malden National Historic Site (Canada) has in recent years employed summer students for the re-created unit at the Park and regional re-enactments. There is also a Modern Re-enacting unit that recreates the Rangers; they are based out of Amherstburg, Ontario and work in conjunction with Fort Malden. Western Districts Late in 1813, the Americans captured Amherstburg and defeated the retreating British army under Major General Henry Procter (Henry Procter (British Army officer)). Until the end of the war, only small outposts of British regulars were stationed in the Western Districts of Kent, Essex and Norfolk. During 1814, American troops made several raids from Detroit or Lake Erie against these, causing much destruction. The local militia could not stop a determined expedition (for example, that which resulted in the Battle of Malcolm's Mills), but could stop small scale nuisance raids. Volunteer units from the militia, styling themselves for example the "Loyal Essex Volunteers", provided useful intelligence throughout the later period of the war. The Loyal Kent Volunteers took part in the Battle of Longwoods. He was born in Scotland. He settled in Richmond (Richmond, Ontario) and married Margaret Lindsey Hill of Amherstburg daughter of Maria Hill (Maria Hill, Daughter of the Regiment). Edward and Margaret opened a general store which supplied the workers during the building of the Rideau Canal. They later moved to Bytown (now Ottawa)where he served with the Carleton militia, becoming captain in 1837. He represented Carleton (Carleton (Ontario electoral district)) in the Legislative Assembly of Upper Canada from 1834 to 1841 and in the Legislative Assembly of the Province of Canada from 1848 to 1854 *''Prominent men of Canada a collection of persons distinguished in professional and political life, and in the commerce and industry of Canada'', GM Adam (1892) p. 152 . He also served as the first sheriff for Carleton County. He died in 1867 and was interred at the National Beechwood Cemetery in Ottawa.
regulations. Library The Halton Hills Public Library is a two-branch library system. Both branches reflect the historic character of the community. The Georgetown Branch (9 Church Street) is co-located with the Halton Hills Cultural Centre, anchored by the former Methodist Church (now the Art Gallery) and The John Elliott Theatre. The Acton Branch (17 River Street) was built as the community's centennial project in a park setting, across a foot bridge over a creek. Library Highlights Halton Hills Public Library Annual Report 2007 in 2007 include: *Town council approved the Georgetown Branch Renovation Expansion Project in principle. *Popular material was made more accessible through the "Rapid Reads" collection and the "Hot Off The Press" service. *A record breaking donation of $79,291 was received from the Georgetown Homecoming Committee for the Georgetown Branch Renovation Expansion Project. * Convenience was increased through the installation of wireless Internet access and debit service. *Business collections were expanded to offer more programming for small business operators. *General interest programs were reintroduced for adults. *Profile was raised through media coverage partnerships and greater participation in community events. On Saturday January 26, 2013 the renovated Georgetown Branch of the Halton Hills Public Library opened. Halton Hills Public Library Building Projects The renovations included making the library more accessible to the public as well as more environmentally friendly. Media Georgetown is covered by local newspapers and television through the following services: * ''Georgetown Independent'' * TVCogeco * ''The Halton Compass'' Transportation thumb Georgetown Station (File:Georgetown Ontario Railway Station 2.jpg) GO Transit and Via Rail serve Georgetown Station (Georgetown GO Station). There is no local bus service, although the Georgetown Halton Hills ActiVan provides local transportation for individuals with physical disabilities. GO Transit offers both bus and rail services through the Georgetown GO Station. The GO Transit Georgetown rail line runs between Toronto, Georgetown and Guelph. The GO bus connects to many of the nearby communities including Brampton, Toronto, Acton and Guelph. Georgetown is also linked to the Provincial Highway network (List of Ontario provincial highways) by Highway 7 (Highway 7 (Ontario)), and to Highway 401 (Highway 401 (Ontario)) by Trafalgar Road (Halton Regional Road 3 (List of roads in Halton Region, Ontario)), Mountainview Road 9th Line (Halton Regional Road 13 (List of roads in Halton Region, Ontario)) and Winston Churchill Boulevard (Halton Regional Road 19 (List of roads in Halton Region, Ontario)) There are no airports in Georgetown; the closest are Brampton Airport (general aviation) to the north and Toronto Pearson International Airport (domestic and international flights) to the east. Notable residents * Adam Bennett, Former NHL Hockey Player & first round draft pick * Karl Clark (chemist), Member of the Canadian Petroleum Hall of Fame http: www.canadianpetroleumhalloffame.ca karl-clark.html * Kenneth Walter Davidson, Former Speaker of the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia * Jason Dickinson, NHL first round draft pick and prospect * Dan Dunleavy, play by play broadcaster for The Buffalo Sabres and Toronto FC * Timothy Eaton, founder of Eaton's department store * Bob Goldham, five-time Stanley Cup Winner * PJ Haarsma, science fiction author * Mike Harris (Mike Harris (curler)), Olympic curler * Brian Hayward, former NHL Goalie & William M. Jennings Trophy Winner * Shawn Hill, MLB pitcher in the Florida Marlins organization. The '''Georgetown Raiders''' are a Junior "A" ice hockey team from Georgetown (Georgetown, Ontario), Ontario, Canada. They are a part of the Ontario Junior A Hockey League. In Junior "B", the team was known as the "Georgetown Gemini" until 1989. The Raiders won the 2005 Dudley Hewitt Cup. '''Limehouse''' is a community in the Town of Halton Hills (Halton Hills, Ontario) in southern Ontario, Canada. it has a population of about 800 people and its closest neighbours are Georgetown (Georgetown, Ontario) and Acton (Acton, Ontario). Limehouse has many hills, trails and even a small school. '''St. Aloysius Gonzaga Secondary School''' is a Catholic high school located in the Erin Mills community of Mississauga, Ontario, named after Saint Aloysius Gonzaga (St. Aloysius Gonzaga). The school opened in Mississauga in 2001, after spending a year as a holding school in Georgetown (Georgetown, Ontario). It is a joint venture between the city of Mississauga and the Dufferin Peel Catholic District School Board. The school is a multi-use facility, attached to the Erin Meadows Community Centre and Library, which is part of the Mississauga Library System. 6 relocated from Georgetown, Ontario to Black Creek Pioneer Village *Lord Selkirk Boys Pipe Band (Winnipeg, MB (Manitoba)) *The Lorne Scots (Peel, Dufferin and Halton Regiment) (Georgetown (Georgetown, Ontario), ON (Ontario)) *Maple Ridge Pipe Band (Maple Ridge (Maple Ridge, British Columbia), BC (British Columbia)) align center Jun. 11, 1983 align center Georgetown (Georgetown, Ontario), Ontario align center 5' 6"
are noted for their historic character. These areas are dominated by old brick and wooden merchant houses and buildings, with the occasional intrusion of mid-century Soviet low-rise buildings. thumb left Yamskaya Sloboda (File:Tyumen Historic Center Yamskaya Sloboda.jpg) '''Bukharskaya Sloboda''' - a Historic residential area on the low bank of the Tura river. This area is mostly made up of very old one and two story wooden buildings. The area is part of the Historical Center on the city
region:HU_type:city display title Category:Populated places in Veszprém County islands cities Keszthely, Siófok, Balatonfüred (''see list (#Towns and villages)'') frozen The mountainous region of the northern shore is known both for its historic (Transdanubia#History) character and as a major wine region (Hungarian wine), while the flat southern shore is known for its resort towns. Balatonfüred and Hévíz
was often exceeded; so it was sold in 1753 and the proceeds were used to establish a new White Hart Inn (White Hart Inn, Crawley) nearby. This was built around the core of an early 17th-century timber-framed building, and opened in 1770.
Magnolia Inn offers comfortable and spacious deluxe private rooms as well as luxury hostel rooms. The restored French colonial mansion is full of historic character, as well as modern conveniences such as A C, orthopedic beds, free Wi-Fi Internet and safe deposit boxes. The Inn has a stylish social areas to relax and meet fellow guests. A fully equipped kitchen and sunbathed dinning room is available for guest use. *
historic character through the preservation of houses and other buildings from the era of the city's founding. The town was also the site of the first Roman Catholic Archdiocese in the western United States, founded in 1846. Its territory included all of the western United States, though as population declined in the area due to the California Gold Rush and increased in nearby Portland (Portland, Oregon) the archdiocese was renamed as Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Portland in Oregon
-informacji obszary-msi (the website is in Polish, but the schematics are of universal informative value, just click on the district for the rundown of the areas therein) The districts as such are indicated on signposts with white background, while streets and other POIs with blue background, except for the Old Town and Royal Road areas, where the background is brown and a different font is used to indicate their historic character. The building number signs also often feature a small arrow
right President Kennedy and Vice President Johnson Out of respect for the historic character of the White House, no substantive architectural changes have been made to the house since the Truman renovation. WikiPedia:White House, Tennessee Dmoz:Regional North_America United_States Tennessee Localities W White_House