Places Known For

current community


North Sydney, Nova Scotia

island.png thumb 200px North Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia. '''North Sydney''' is an former town and current community in Nova Scotia's Cape Breton Regional Municipality. Located on the north side of Sydney Harbour, along the eastern coast of Cape Breton Island, North Sydney is an important port in Atlantic Canada as it is the western terminus of the Marine Atlantic ferry service. It acts as the marine link for the Trans-Canada Highway to the island


The Pas

kilometres southeast of The Pas, Manitoba and 100 kilometres (40 km by air) west of Grand Rapids, Manitoba, on the south shore of Cedar Lake (Cedar Lake (Manitoba)). The current community of Easterville was established in 1962, when nearby native populations were being displaced by the building of the Grand Rapids Dam, which flooded their prior community of Chemawawin. (31 July 2010).


Willow Bunch, Saskatchewan

skating rinks before the current one. The current community skating rink was built in late 1957 on the east side of town. The arch rafters that were used to build the rink were scavenged from another skating rink in the nearby town of Assiniboia (Assiniboia, Saskatchewan) after a severe wind storm had blown it down. The dimensions of the rink are as follows: 1,043 feet wide x 180 feet long x 40 feet high. In 1959, a lobby was built onto the south end of the rink. Bonneau


Works Progress Administration

, and the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (Public Works Administration). Codornices Creek was recognized early for its beauty. In 1914, the Berkeley City Council voted to acquire Live Oak Park (north of Rose Street between Shattuck (Shattuck Avenue) and Oxford) as Berkeley's first "nature park." In 1915, Codornices Park was opened just above today's Euclid Avenue. In that streetcar era, both parks had busy club houses (now gone; Live Oak's was replaced by the current

community center) and large picnic areas with stone fireplaces (still existing). Across Euclid from this park, the WPA (Works Progress Administration) constructed the Berkeley Rose Garden during the 1930s. The actual Berkeley Marina, used by many people who sail on the Bay, was constructed as the '''Berkeley Yacht Harbor''' in the late 1930s by the Works Progress Administration in conjunction with its nearby work developing Aquatic Park (Aquatic Park (Berkeley)). From October 1961 until April 1974 a heliport was operated by SFO Helicopter on the north side of University Avenue west of I-80. They carried passengers to the San Francisco (San Francisco International Airport) and Oakland (Oakland International Airport) international airports. Berkeley Historical Society Newsletter, Summer 2006, p.5 The Eastshore Freeway was created in the mid 1950s (construction commenced in 1954) by re-engineering the '''Eastshore Highway''', a thoroughfare constructed in the 1930s (1937–39) as one of the approaches to the Bay Bridge and designated as part of U.S. Route 40 (U.S. Route 40 (California)). plot on which the school is situated cost $35,000. The school opened in the fall of 1939 with fifty faculty members and 1,250 pupils. In 1959, Kenmore East High School was opened as the district continued to grow. At that time, the Highland Parkway school officially became Kenmore West High School. Raymond S. Frazier was appointed to the position of principal of Kenmore West in 1952. ''A Brief History of Kenmore West High School''. Accessed July 16, 2006. * Nikolai Trubetzkoi Trubetskoy, Nikolai S. .''Grundzüge der Phonologie''. ''Principles of Phonology'' . ''Travaux du Cercle Linguistique de Prague'', 7. Prague, 1939. *WPA (Works Progress Administration) Federal Writers' Project, ''Life History Manuscripts from the Folklore Project'', 1936-1940. Online version: Library of Congress ''American Life Histories: Manuscripts from the Federal Writers' Project, 1936 - 1940'', Item 27 of 312 (Nebraska), "Charles Blooah" '''Sheboygan Municipal Auditorium and Armory''' (commonly known as '''The Armory''') is an indoor arena in Sheboygan (Sheboygan, Wisconsin), Wisconsin built in 1942 on the city's lakefront as a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project. Mead Public Library timeline ''The Sheboygan Press'' "City may shut down Armory", Sept. 20, 2006, pages A1–A2 '''Harry Lloyd Hopkins (w:Harry Hopkins)''' (August 17, 1890 – January 29, 1946) was one of Franklin Delano Roosevelt's closest advisers. He was one of the architects of the New Deal, especially the relief programs of the Works Progress Administration (w:Works Progress Administration) (WPA), which he directed and built into the largest employer in the country. In World War II he was Roosevelt's chief diplomatic advisor and troubleshooter and was a key policy maker in the $50 billion Lend-Lease (w:Lend-Lease) program that sent aid to the allies.


Kingston, Ontario

and was stationed at Cataraqui (Kingston (Kingston, Ontario)), where he was given land as a loyalist officer. In 1784, when the regiment was disbanded, he settled at Fredericksburgh on the Bay of Quinte, west of the current community of Conway (Conway, Ontario). Joyce was a telemarketer and student, and did not campaign actively during the election (''Toronto Star'', 22 October 1993). She received 17 votes (0.03%), finishing eleventh against Liberal (Liberal Party of Canada) candidate Barry


Portland, Oregon

see the Columbia River after their overland journey. The current community of Biggs Junction was named for the station, which is less than a mile west of the current junction, and its location

In 1917 the office was renamed "Zig Zag" and shortly thereafter "Zigzag". (The name was later reused for the post office in the current community of Zigzag.) In 1920 the office was renamed "Rhododendron" because of the large number of rhododendrons growing near there. The community started out as a summer resort colony (List of summer colonies), but with the increased popularity


Canada

Bruins and the New York Rangers. '''Easterville''' is an unincorporated community in the Canadian (Canada) province of Manitoba. It is situated 200 kilometres southeast of The Pas, Manitoba and 100 kilometres (40 km by air) west of Grand Rapids, Manitoba, on the south shore of Cedar Lake (Cedar Lake (Manitoba)). The current community of Easterville was established in 1962, when nearby native populations were being displaced by the building of the Grand Rapids Dam


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017