. Its current appearance, however, stems from renovations in the 1880s by Helgo Zettervall, who also renovated the Cathedral of Uppsala. Middle ages Medieval artifacts have been found in or near the Skara cathedral. A chalice from bishop Adalvard the Elder, dead in 1064, was found in his grave in the 18th century. For a while the ''Adalvardskalken'' was used in the Holy Communion. Some 44 pages of a book containing texts and hymns of 11th-century Catholic rituals
by Bilinić. A new cemetery was built based on a the winning design from a competition in a Vienna newspaper. The care with which the cemetery was built is a testament to the respect the Trpanj populace paid to its ancestors. Nikola Jerić, who was the chairman of the council in charge of the construction of the new cemetery, is credited with the current appearance of the cemetery. The town council decided on 25 January 1900 to set aside 1,956 crowns for the new cemetery, and that the first 10 plots be sold at public auction for 120 crowns. All other plots were to cost 24 crowns. The statue above the Tere Ferri tomb is of particular interest as it is the work of Ivan Rendić from 1903. The Narodni List (the national Paper) in its no.89 edition from 7 November 1903 describes the marble work of art as both artistically pleasing and patriotic, as it displays elements from Croatian folklore. Other notable monuments can be found in the cemetery, in particular statues from the workshop of Pavle Bilinić in Split (Split (city)). The town council decided on 20 December 1902 to forbid further burials in the old cemetery of St. Peter. On 15 June 1906 the construction of the chapel of the Holy Cross began on the site of the new cemetery. The chapel roof was badly constructed and the chapel suffered from humidity requiring restorations in 1924 as its interior had seriously degraded. Further renovations were carried out in 2000 with the inclusion of a communal repository for the remains of bones transported from the old cemetery. thumb left Ragusan Family Bassegli-Gučetić. (File:Family Bassegli-Gozze.jpg) Municipality The list of inhabited places with their respective populations in the Trpanj municipality, as of census 2001, includes: * Trpanj, 707 * Gornja Vrućica, 62 * Duba Pelješka, 54 * Donja Vrućica, 48 Economy Fisheries Fishing in Trpanj is an activity as old as the town itself. During the Republic of Dubrovnik, the fishermen were obliged to transport salt (Edible salt) from Mali Ston (Ston) to Neretva, for which they built special boats, called “solarica.” These were small boats with a smaller draft. By the decision of the Grand Council dated 26 April 1560 fishermen that transported salt were absolved from the very labor-intensive work in the salt evaporation ponds. By the decision of the Small council, no owner of a fishing vessel with nets could get a fishing permit if he did not have 12 sailors, 3 smaller boats and 2 night fishing lights. Fishing’s importance is evidenced from a letter from Matija Andricic who wrote to the Council in 1765 to be absolved from paying taxes that year as the total catch did not exceed 50 barrels. In the 18th century owners of fishing vessels were from the following families: Augustinović, Andricić, Balovi, Barbica, Barac, Bergando, Belin, Butirić, Certić, Franković, Ferri, Iveta, Jerić, Klarić, Kresić, Kulišić, Mirković, Nesanović, Senko, Simonetti, Skoko and Zimić. Records show the following numbers for fishing vessels '''Fishing vessels through the years''' class "wikitable sortable" style "text-align:center; border:1px" ! year !! vessels !! year !! vessels !! year !! vessels - 1709 12 1770-72 16 1795-96 23 - 1755 12 1773-75 18 1798 14 - 1761 17 1776 20 1799 23 - 1762 16 1777 19 1801 22 - 1763 15 1778 21 1802 20 - 1764 14 1782 20 1803 21 - 1765-68 13 1783-85 19 1804 25 - 1769 14 1786 18 According to a court order from 1741, Trpanj fishermen were obliged to go fishing 4 days in a row for their landlord Gundulic while he was residing in Trpanj for his needs. Gundulic was required to pay for this fish as in the past he paid nothing. In 1815 there are 27 boats of 4 tons, 24 boats of 5 tons (called leuti) and 11 ships of 1.5 tons. Other than sardine fishing, in Trpanj, the fishermen also extracted corals, in particular towards the end of the 17th and the beginning of the 18th centuries in the waters around Lastovo. Taking into account the number if inhabitants, Trpanj in the 19th century was probably the strongest fishing community in the southern Adriatic. Navigation Trpanj was a center of coastal navigation on Pelješac. Sailor were frequently exposed to dangers. For example in 1660 Martin Marin Medovic from Trpanj was captured in Tunis, and in 1755 pirates captured Nikola Franković. In February 1669, the Ragusan Senate orders that officials be sent to Trpanj to bring two sail ships with crew because they have not answered the call to transport construction material for the restoration of the city. From 1677 to 1797 there were 41 known sailors from Trpanj in the Venetian fleet and two known ship commanders Grga Ivana Frankovic and Mato Nika Mrčić. In the mid 18th century, on Dubrovnik ships navigating outside the Adriatic the following sailors from Trpanj could be found: Ante and Justin Auustinovic, Simun Andricic, Stijepo and Vicko Barbica, Andrija, Mato and Petar Certić, Luka nd Peter Despot, Ivan, Mato, Nikola and Petar Ferri, Antun, Duro, Ivan and Luka Franković, Ivan Iveta, Ante and Tomo Jerić, Petar Keko, Ivan and Baldo Krešić, Antun, Petar and Mato Marković, Ivan, Petar and Mato Mrčić, Rade and Baldo Nesanović, and Ivan Sirovica-Dolica. Many Trpanj priests were co-owners of sailhips notably: Miho Fabrelli Iveta, Antun Simonetti, Mato Nesanović, Nikola Augustinović, Baldo Kresic, Andrija Kalais and Ivan Klaric-Mirkovic. The sail ship “Nimfa” 104 barrels, was purchased in 1801 by the Jerić, Barac, Zimić and Ferri families. That ship was confiscated in 1804. Trpanj was a major export port for salted fish in the Republic of Ragusa. In the 18th century Trpanj imported salted fish from Sucuraj which was under Venetian authority and exported it along with its fish. In the 18th century, in Senigallia near Ancona, merchants from Trpanj had their own warehouses for storing fish and other goods during the local fair. Trpanj sail ships were returning with imported goods from the far away European colonies, cloth and ceramics. Commerce was booming at the time and the merchant fleet was constantly on the rise. In a good year, Trpanj could generate over 30,000 florins. The last sail ship from Trpanj was sold in 1920. Famous people * Ena Begović actress * Mia Begović actress * Stjepan Ivanišević Croatian justice minister 2000 - 2001 See also *Croatia *Dalmatia *Republic of Ragusa *House of Gundulić *House of Getaldić *Faraun References Category:Populated places in Dubrovnik-Neretva County Category:Municipalities of Croatia Category:Populated coastal places in Croatia Fran Dživo Gundulić (c.1630-1700) Generalfeldwachtmeister, July 27, 1682 and Feldmarschall-Leutnant on September 4, 1685 who married first with Marija Bobali (daughter of Marin Bobali), who died soon with the first child, later he married with Maria Victoria (Octavia) Condezza di Strozzi (''granddaughter of General Strozzi and honorary dame of Empress'') 22 April 1674 (''d.d. 257, 80, folio 282 Neues Jahrbuch''), have two children, Frano Antun Gundulić, (without descendants of male), who die in 1717, in the familiar palace of the city of Vienna "Renngasse", and Šišmundo Gundulić. The another branch, the brother of Frano Gundulić, Šišmundo Gundulić (1632–1684), in 1668 married with Kate Nalješković, had four children and one daughter. Frano Gundulić II k.k General der Cav., Dživo Šiško Gundulić c.1678 +1721, married with Lukrecija Bunić, Jeronim Gundulić married with Maria Francizca Countess von Khuen, Šišmundo Gundulić II (c.1682 +1758) married with Uršula Getaldić, had 4 sons: the oldest Šiško Dominik (mentioned above), Fran, Fran Incacije and Dživo Fran, and 2 daughters: Katarina, who was married with Frano Getaldić, Uršula, who was unmarried, and Nikoleta Gundulić, she married in 1697 with Petar Sorkočević (her grandson by the name Petar Sorkočević-Crijević, credited for having Gundulić's Osman). Frano Gundulić married with Marija Ana Kisserrnyi Serenyi, 3 February 1684 and died on 25 December 1711 in Vienna, married in 24 April 1710, few days after born your son, obtains the fiefdoms on June 21, 1719, (with the lands of Trpanj) after his death his son, don't could inherit, by his condition Fran Josip Gundulić, who was born in Vienna 16 December 1711 and dies 5 March 1774 archbishop of Paderborner Dom (1752–1764), and Franz Anton von Gondola (+1764) married in Graz 25 July 1760 with Josefa Countess von Rindsmaul(*28 June 1740 + 14 July 1802 Graz) inherits the fiefdoms, they had only a daughter Marija Ana Gundulić, she married with Count Veit Dominik v.Wolkenstein, as well holds the fiefdoms until his death in 1764, his cousin, son of Šišmundo (II),*1684 + 1758, *Šišmundo Dominik Gundulić February 6, 1712 died in Ragusa January 15, 1800 holds the fiefdoms (married with Frančeska Bunić died in Ragusa February 22, 1785, they did not have any children.
tower . Both of them received their current appearance after World War II, as their predecessors were either damaged or destroyed by the Soviet Armed Forces. Scandlines serve the link between Hanko and Rostock since October 2007 four times a week with two RoRo-vessel. The trip takes some 36 hours. Events left thumb 200px Restaurants by the marina in the busy summer tourist season. (File:Hankoo restaurants marina July 10 2005.jpg) The ''Hangon Regatta'' has been
in the neighborhood of Rasm al-Rawabi. General Census of Population and Housing 2004. Syria Central Bureau of Statistics (Central Bureau of Statistics (Syria)) (CBS). Quneitra Governorate. Yom Kippur War Like the rest of the IDF, the Golani Brigade was caught by surprise with the first Arab attack of the Yom Kippur War. The brigade's sector in the Golan Heights was lightly manned, and most of its units were either on leave or preparing for a planned major ceremony. The Syrians attacked in three major locations: near Khushniya, Quneitra and Mas'ada. The 13th Battalion's position on Mount Hermon was overrun (First Battle of Mount Hermon) on October 6–7, 1973. The brigade was assigned defence of the northern Golan, in preparation for a push to retake the Hermon. Golan Region In Quneitra and the Golan Region (Quneitra Governorate), there was a numerous Circassian (Circassians) community. Several Circassian leaders wanted in 1938, for the same reasons as their Assyrian, Kurdish and Bedouin counterparts in Al-Jazira province in 1936-1937, a special autonomy status for their region as they feared the perspective of living in an independent Syrian republic under a nationalist Arab government hostile towards the minorities. They also wanted the Golan region to become a national homeland for Circassian refugees from the Caucasus. A Circassian battalion served in the French army and had helped it against the Arab nationalist uprisings. Like in Al-Jazira Province the French authorities refused to grant any autonomy status to the Golan Circassians. M. Proux, "Les Tcherkesses", ''La France méditerranéenne et africaine'', IV, 1938 The 5th Indian Brigade Group—commanded by Brigadier Wilfrid Lewis Lloyd—were ordered to cross the Syrian border from Palestine and take Quneitra and Deraa. It was anticipated that this would open the way for the 1st Free French Division forces to advance to Damascus. Four days after the commencement of the operation, this force was bought under unified command and was named ''Gentforce'' after its French commander, Major-General Paul Louis Le Gentilhomme (Paul Legentilhomme). The frequent reverting is causing trouble on several pages, attracting sockpuppetry, proxy IP reversions, and personal attacks. This isn't to excuse the sockpuppetry and abusive responses, but there's a causal relationship between them and Yuber's editing practices. Currently protected in part because of him are Jihad, Saudi Arabia, Quneitra, Terrorism, Qana, and Suicide bombing. Although others are obviously reverting too, Yuber's presence is the common denominator on the pages experiencing trouble, and based on what I've seen, reverting is all or most of what he does. A temporary revert parole would calm the situation down. SlimVirgin (User:SlimVirgin) (talk) (User_talk:SlimVirgin) 08:14, Jun 18, 2005 (UTC) History The kibbutz was founded in 1971 by a core group of settlers from the ''Machanot HaOlim'' Zionist youth movement. Although they had intended to settle in Beit HaArava in the southern Jordan River Valley (Jordan River), they were eventually persuaded to move to the Golan Heights. The original settlement was located in the vicinity of the occupied Syrian town of Quneitra, however, this settlement was destroyed during the Yom Kippur War, and an enormous tank battle (Armoured warfare) was fought in its fields. In June 1967 after battling Syria, Jordan and Egypt in the Six Day War, Israel captured the entire length of the Golan Heights including its principal city Quneitra. The resulting ceasefire line (dubbed the "Purple Line" as it was drawn on the UN's maps) was supervised by a series of positions and observation posts manned by observers of the United Nations Truce Supervision Organisation and became the new effective border between Israel and Syria. The sector is divided into two battalions—Erez, which monitors most checkpoints around Jerusalem, and Ta'oz, manning all other military police-run checkpoints. The Erez battalion lists three companies; Alef (A), Bet (B) and Gimel (C). The Ta'oz battalion lists the following companies: Eyal (אייל), Maccabim (מכבים), Reihan (ריחן), Sahlav (סחלב) and Shomron (שומרון). Other than these battalions, soldiers in the sector also help man crossings at Ghajar and Rosh HaNikra (Rosh HaNikra Crossing) (Lebanon), Quneitra (Syria), and Erez (Erez Crossing) and Kerem Shalom (Kerem Shalom Crossing) (Gaza Strip).
Just under eighty percent are Catholic with just over thirteen percent belonging to Protestant or other Christian groups. Most of the population is mestizo with a significant population of ethnic Zoques. Although about 25% of the state's population speaks an indigenous language, the percentage is much lower in the municipality of Tuxtla. As of 2005, there were 8,256 people who spoke an indigenous language out of a total population of 434,143. The percentage of indigenous language speakers rose somewhat from 1995 to 2000 as many rural people moved into the area as a consequesnce of the Zapatista rebellion. This has added languages such as Tzotzil (Tzotzil language), Tzeltal (Tzeltal language), Zapotec (Zapotec languages) and Ch'ol (Ch'ol language) to the native Zoque (Zoque languages). Culture and gastronomy thumb left Pepita con tasajo (File:PepitacnTasajoCorzo.jpg) thumb right Serving pozol (File:CloseServingPozol.jpg) The two most important local celebrations are the Feria de Saint Mark and the Feria Chiapas. The Feria de San Marcos (Saint Mark's Fair) occurs each April in the center of the city, honoring the patron saint of Mark the Evangelist. It includes offerings, fireworks in frames called "castillos" (castles) and pilgrimages for four days starting on the 25th. The Feria Chiapas includes bullfights, horse racing, cockfights (cockfighting) and exhibitions of the many products of the state, including crafts, manufactured goods and agricultural products. It is held on the next to last Sunday of November through the first Sunday of December. Reflecting the area's Zoque heritage is the Zoque Carnival and a ritual called the "lowering of the virgins" which occurs in Copoya. Other important celebrations in the municipality include the San Roque, San Jacinto, San Pascualito, San Francisco, Santo Domingo and the Virgin of Guadalupe. Much of the cuisine of the municipality reflects that of the rest of the state and includes pictes (a sweet corn tamale), la chispota (beef with chickpeas and cabbage), niguijuti (pork with mole sauce (mole (sauce))), sopa de pan (bread with broth and vegetables), cochito (pork in adobo sauce), chanfaina (lamb innards with rice), a legume called patashete, and traditional Chiapas tamales made with chipilín. Local drinks include pozol, taxcalate, agua de chía tashiagual and pinole. Some local specialties include carnes parrilladas (grilled meat platter), carne molida tartars (spicy ground meat "
) is a university college (University college (Scandinavia)) (''högskola'') located in Visby on Gotland (Gotland County), Sweden. List of higher education institutions, Swedish National Agency for Higher Education, accessed 2010-10-26 The school is not a full university according to the official Swedish terminology since it is not authorized to issue Doctor of Philosophy
Crusader state of the Principality of Antioch. The Crusaders undertook an extensive building programme, giving the castle much of its current appearance. In 1188 it fell to the forces of Saladin after a three-day siege. In 2006, the castles of Qal'at Salah El-Din and Krak des Chevaliers was recognised as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. The site is owned by the Syrian government.
Andalusian ruler Al-Mansur Ibn Abi Aamir commissioned the Maghrawa to rebuild and refurnish the Al-Kairouan mosque, giving it much of its current appearance. According to the Rawd al-Qirtas and other Marinid era sources, the Maghrawi emir Dunas Al-Maghrawi filled up the open spaces between the two medinas and the banks of the river, dividing them with new constructions. Thus, the two cities grew into each other, being now only separated by their walls and the river. His sons fortified
(mother of Jesus) Saint Mary , was constructed. It was reshaped in the 13th century to its current appearance, and was officially opened in 1225 by the bishop of the Swedish city of Linköping. Several other churches were also constructed in the ensuing centuries. The city flourished, thanks to the German Hanseatic League. * E 02 – Route number not used * 35px link European route E4 (File:Tabliczka E04.svg) – Dmoz:Regional Europe Sweden Östergötland County Localities Linköping commons:Linköping
, March Field took on much of its current appearance and also began to gain prominence. Lieutenant Colonel Henry H. (Hap) Arnold (Henry H. Arnold), base commander from 1931 to 1936, began a series of well-publicized maneuvers to gain public attention. This resulted in a visit by Governor James Rolph (James Rolph) in March 1932, numerous visits by Hollywood celebrities including Bebe Daniels, Wallace Berry, Rochelle Hudson and others, and visits by famous aviators including