Places Known For

created quot


Oujda

Mohammed Ben Aarafa, whose reign was perceived as illegitimate, sparked active opposition to the French and Spanish protectorates. The most notable violence occurred in Oujda where Moroccans attacked French and other European residents in the streets. Operations by the newly created "Jaish al-tahrir" (Liberation Army), were launched on October 1, 1955. Jaish al-tahrir was created by "Comité de Libération du Maghreb Arabe" (Arab Maghreb Liberation Committee) in Cairo


Jinghong

align center JHG align center ZPJH Xishuangbanna Gasa Airport - - Jinghong ZPJH JHG Xishuangbanna Gasa Airport - **Yunnan ***Jinghong – Xishuangbanna Gasa Airport ***Kunming – Kunming Wujiaba International Airport The new polities "created" (or recognised) in Yunnan under the first Ming ruler, were known to the Ming as "native offices" (''tu si''), as they were, initially, usually left under the control of the hereditary


Porto Velho

Gilberto Freyre International Airport Origins Claiming roots as far back as the tenth century BC, members feel the movement then lay dormant before reappearing in Incan Peru in the fourth and fifth centuries BC. The UDV as it is known today however was "re-created" on July 22, 1961 in Porto Velho, Rondônia, Brazil by the rubber-tapper José Gabriel da Costa (now known as Mestre Gabriel). death_date November 25, 1929 death_place


Rasht

Republic in Rasht was preparing to march on Tehran with "a guerrilla force of 1,500 Jangalis, Kurds (Kurdish people), Armenians, and Azerbaijanis", reinforced by the Soviet Red Army. This fact, along with various other disorders, mutinies and unrest in the country created "an acute political crisis in the capital." Abrahamian, Ervand, ''Iran Between Two Revolutions'', (1982), pp. 116-7. On February 21, 1921, Reza Khan staged


South of Market, San Francisco

, with each lot 100 varas on a side. Finally, O'Farrell created "a grand promenade" linking the old pueblo with the new subdivision, Market Street. Theodore Henry Hittell, History of California, Volume 2 (1897) pp. 596-7 Since then, downtown San Francisco north of Lower


Nizhny Tagil

. - Nizhny Tagil Нижний Тагил Sverdlovsk Oblast - thumb left Object 172 at the Kubinka Tank Museum (File:Object 172 (T-72 prototype on the basis of T-64).jpg) An "economy" tank with the old design V-46 powerplant was developed from 1967 at the Uralvagonzavod Factory located in Nizhny Tagil. Chief engineer Leonid Kartsev created "Object 172", the initial design, but the prototype, marked "Object 172M", was refined and finished by Valeri


Susanville, California

Adin (Adin, California). The combined routes continue northerly through another part of the forest and over Adin Pass into the Warm Springs Valley, where SR 139 splits to the northwest near Canby (Canby, California). History In 1925, a state-created "California Highway Advisory Committee" recommended a number of additions to the state highway system; among these was a route from Susanville


Ventura, California

, it is the band's only official live album. After getting a spot on ABC (American Broadcasting Company) for new bands and playing the usual late night shows such as Conan O'Brien, it seemed as if the band had made it. Hendrie began doing voices on his program at KVEN in Ventura, California during the Gulf War when he created "Raj Fahneen," an Egyptian who demanded that George H. W. Bush wash Saddam Hussein's feet with his hair. ref name "NYT">


Sausalito, California

the failed ''Lillywhite Sessions'' and felt that these songs deserved a spot on the album. Matthews reworked many of the lyrics while the rest of the band continued to evolve the arrangements. Through the recording process, two new songs were created: "Where Are You Going" and "You Never Know". Recording sessions The album was supposed to be produced in the manner of the band's prior three (''Under the Table and Dreaming,'' ''Crash (Crash (Dave Matthews Band album)),'' and ''Before These Crowded Streets''), all of which had been produced by Steve Lillywhite. Having recorded Dave Matthews Band in studios in New York City, Woodstock, New York (Woodstock (town), New York) and Sausalito, California, Lillywhite had an established relationship with its members. For this album, the band purchased a house near their hometown of Charlottesville, Virginia and converted a portion of it into a recording studio. The band tried some new things, including Matthews playing a twelve string guitar. In early 2000, Lillywhite posted a report on the band's website with details about the session-in-progress, saying that the band had recorded a number of new songs, including "Sweet Up and Down," and had reworked a song which the Dave Matthews Band performed with Santana (Santana (band)) in 1999, "John the Revelator," retitling it "JTR." Sausalito, California, also has one of the most noted collections of float homes that were owned at various times by the likes of famous musicians, film stars, authors, and other notables, from the hippie era until even today. Like many areas where float homes have taken hold, battles have brewed between float home owners, local and state government, and the local establishment (which includes land-based home owners). Float home owners had fought established land-based tax schemes whereby float home owners sought relief from real estate taxes. The state won the battle with the shadow tax allowing the state to make the case that property beneath the float home was improved by the shadow the float home cast upon the bottom. Operational history SS ''Mission Buenaventura'' was laid down 29 March 1944 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marinship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched 28 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Fred W. Boole; and delivered 28 June 1944. Chartered to Deconhill Shipping Company, for operations, she spent the remainder of the War supporting the victorious Allied forces in the Pacific. She was returned to the Maritime Commission in March 1946 and on 30 March was laid up in the Maritime Commission Reserve Fleet at Mobile, Alabama. Halpin became composer in residence at the Headlands Center for the Arts, in Sausalito, California, and played with a number of bands over the years, including: The Sponges, Funhouse, Folklore, SnakeDoctor and Plank Road. While on the West Coast, Halpin and his wife managed a New Wave (New Wave music) punk rock night club, The Roosevelt, before moving to Indiana in 1995 to pursue opportunities in the visual arts. Career ''Mission San Francisco'' was laid down on 5 May 1945 as ''Contocook'' under a Maritime Commission contract by Marinship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched on 18 September 1945, sponsored by Mrs. John J. Manning; and delivered on 11 October 1945. Chartered to Deconhill Shipping Company, upon her delivery, for operations, she served until 14 April 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Mobile, Alabama. Career ''Mission Santa Ynez'' was laid down 9 September 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marinship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched 19 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Ralph K. Davies; and delivered 13 March 1944. Chartered to Pacific Tankers, Inc., for operations, she spent the remainder of the War carrying fuel to our forces overseas. She remained in this capacity until 28 March 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime reserve Fleet at James River, Virginia. Service history ''Mission Purisma'' was laid down on 10 June 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marinship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched 25 August 1943, sponsored by Mrs. John Collins; and delivered 23 November 1943. Chartered to Deconhill Shipping Company for operations, she carried fuel to allied forces in the Pacific (Pacific Ocean) and the Atlantic (Atlantic Ocean) theaters until 27 April 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Suisun Bay, California. Career ''Mission Loreto'' was laid down on 27 April 1944 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corporation, Sausalito (Sausalito, California), California; launched 28 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. S. D. Bechtel; and delivered 22 July 1944. Operated, under charter, by Los Angeles Tanker Operators Inc., she spent the remainder of the War transporting fuel to Allied forces in the western Pacific (Pacific Ocean), during which time she was awarded the National Defense Service Medal. She continued in these duties until 26 April 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Mobile (Mobile, Alabama), Alabama. Career ''Mission San Antonio'' was laid down on 15 January 1944 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marinship Ship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched 8 April 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Marian McClure; and delivered 24 May 1944. Chartered to Los Angeles Tanker Operators Inc., on her delivery date for operations, she spent the remainder of the War carrying vital fuel products to Allied forces in the western Pacific (during which time she was awarded the National Defense Service Medal). She was returned to the Maritime Commission on 30 April 1946 and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Mobile, Alabama. As oiler, 1943–1957 ''Mission San Fernando'' was laid down on 26 August 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched on 25 November 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Ruth B. Krohn; and delivered on 29 February 1944. Chartered to Pacific Tankers Inc., for operations, she served the remainder of the War carrying fuel to Allied forces in the western Pacific (Pacific Ocean) (during which time she was twice awarded the Battle Efficiency Award as well as the National Defense Service Medal). She remained in service until 10 May 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Washington. Career ''Mission San Jose'' was laid down 17 July 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched 7 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Robert L. Bridges and delivered 29 January 1944. Chartered to Pacific Tankers, Inc. for operations, she spent the remainder of the war carrying fuel to Allied forces overseas. She served in this capacity until 3 May 1946, when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Mobile, Alabama. Career ''Mission San Luis Obispo'' was laid down on 18 April 1944 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched on 18 June 1944, sponsored by Mrs. George A. Patterson; and delivered on 15 July 1944. Chartered to Pacific Tankers, Inc. for operations, she spent the remainder of the War carrying fuel to our forces in the Pacific (Pacific Ocean) (during which time she was awarded the National Defense Service Medal). She remained in this capacity until 27 March 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at James River, Virginia. Career ''Mission San Luis Rey'' was laid down 15 October 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched 29 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. T. L. Phillips; and delivered 31 March 1944. Chartered to Pacific Tankers, Inc. for operations, she spent the remainder of the War carrying fuel to Allied bases overseas (during which time she was awarded the National Defense Service Medal). She served in this capacity until 29 March 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at James River, Virginia. Career ''Mission San Miguel'' was laid down 11 August 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched 31 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. John W. Hardie; and delivered 19 February 1944. Chartered to Pacific Tankers, Inc. for operations, she spent the remainder of the War carrying fuel to Allied forces overseas. She remained in this capacity until 20 May 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Mobile, Alabama. Career ''Mission Santa Barbara'' was laid down 8 April 1944 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched 8 June 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Carl H. Nilson; and delivered 8 July 1944. Chartered to Pacific Tankers, Inc. for operations, she spent the remainder of the War carrying fuel to Allied bases in the Pacific (Pacific Ocean). She remained in this capacity until 8 May 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Olympia, Washington. Career ''Mission Santa Clara'' was laid down 15 March 1944 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched 18 May 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Donald E. Reed; and delivered 21 June 1944. Chartered to Los Angeles Tanker Operators, Inc. for operations, she spent the remainder of the War carrying fuel to Allied forces in the western Pacific (Pacific Ocean). She remained in this capacity until 8 April 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Mobile, Alabama. Career ''Mission Santa Cruz'' was laid down 26 June 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched 8 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Frank C. Sewell; and delivered 31 December 1943. Chartered to Deconhill Shipping Corporation for operations, she spent the remainder of the War carrying fuel to our forces fighting in the Pacific (Pacific Ocean) (during which time she was awarded the National Defense Service Medal). She remained in this capacity until 3 June 1946 when she was returned to the Maritime Commission and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Mobile, Alabama. Career ''Mission Soledad'' was laid down 12 July 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marine Ship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched 28 September 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Atholl McBean; delivered 16 January 1944. Chartered to Pacific Tankers, Inc. for operations, she spent the remainder of the War carrying fuel to Allied forces in the western Pacific (Pacific Ocean). She remained in this capacity until mid-February 1946, when she returned to her building yard and was laid up in reserve. Service history ''Mission Carmel'' was laid down on 1 January 1944 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marinship Corporation, Sausalito, California; launched on 28 March 1944, sponsored by Mrs. W. B. Lardner; and delivered on 17 May 1944. Chartered to Pacific Tankers, Inc. for operations, she spent the remainder of the war providing fuel to allied forces overseas (during which time she was awarded the National Defense Service Medal). Returned to the Maritime Commission on 11 April 1946 she was laid up in the Reserve Fleet at Portland, Oregon. Career ''Mission San Carlos'' was laid down on 1 November 1943 under a Maritime Commission contract by Marinship Corporation, Sausalito, California: launched 12 February 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. H. Pomeroy; and delivered 15 April 1944. Chartered to Pacific Tankers, Inc. for operations on 15 April, she spent the remainder of the War providing allied forces overseas with the vital fuel needed to keep America's armies on the move (during which time she was awarded the National Defense Service Medal). She was returned to the Maritime Commission on 20 April 1946 and laid up in the Maritime Reserve Fleet at Mobile, Alabama.


Batumi

Monastery , Mtskheta (:en:Mtskheta), Georgia (Georgia (country)). According to tradition, when the Apostles were sent out to preach the Gospel to the nations of the world, the Apostle Andrew (Saint Andrew) the First-called went to preach in the districts of the Caucasus corresponding to modern Georgia (Georgia (country)) (ancient Colchis and Iberia (Caucasian Iberia)), taking with him an ''acheiropoieta'' (Acheiropoieta) of the Virgin Mary (an icon believed to be created

"not by human hand"). Another tradition says that the Apostle Simon the Canaanite (Simon the Zealot) (better known in the West as Simon the Zealot) also travelled to the Caucasus, and Georgian tradition holds that he preached in Western Georgia and was buried near Sokhumi, in the village of Anakopia. Another Apostle, Saint Matthias, is said to have preached in the southwest of Georgia, and to have been buried in Gonio, a village not far from Batumi. Some Christian sources also attest to the presence in Georgia of the Apostles Bartholomew and Thaddeus (Saint Jude) who came north from Armenia. WikiPedia:Batumi Commons:Category:Batumi


Copyright (C) 2015-2017 PlacesKnownFor.com
Last modified: Tue Oct 10 05:56:30 EDT 2017